About paying $50

Nickahlers

Hmm...

I for one feel $50 a day is more than worth it for several reasons:

1) Six Flags Great Adventure, located about twenty minutes from my house (and a park many of my students visit regularly) charges three dollars more, and believe me, anyone who has visited the Six Flags parks knows they are no match for Disney in ambience, style, theming, friendliness of the staff, and quality of the attractions.

2) Like a poster above said, I also attend Broadway musicals regularly. While at this time of year it's very easy to get a discount for most musicals besides the big hits (Hairspray, Lion King, The Producers, and maybe one or two more), you still on average pay about $65 (with the discount) for the best seats in the house for two and a half hours of entertainment.

3) Disney has a lot of intangibles that no one else can offer. Io nce spent almost an hour just chatting with a CM at my hotel pool (he was a lifeguard, and I work as a lifeguard at the beach during the summer, so we just chatted about the job).

Bottom line, if you think Disney is a budget vacation, you're grossely mistaken.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by xstechbabe
I just would like to tell you all the on average; guests experience 8 attractions a day
We visit WDW in April, which at some stage coincides with Easter - considered to be one of the busiest times - and we will enjoy more than 8 attractions / rides on every day of our visit DESPITE the increased attendance and longer lines.

Becky

Originally posted by Dwarful
[... but I don't think people are complaining about paying $50 for WDW.

I think they might be complaining about all the little "cutbacks" that are taking place while we are still paying $50. Like fewer CM's around which has an impact on everything from.. longer wait lines at fast food places , over flowing trash cans, fewer perks at the resorts, longer wait times

Very well said. Now why couldn't I have been that articulate?

$50 is not the issue. CM cutbacks are. I was at WDW 12/29-1/5 and the lines were long like I expect at that time. I am leaving Sunday for WDW and with what they have done to CM hours I forsee lines almost as long.

CM's need to eat. They can not last long with the projected and actual cuts in their hours.

Mike E, most business know that when times are bad you Increase your hours and Cut your prices. This actually results in more profit due to more spending.

Europeans don't eat what we call supper at 5-6 P.M. They eat at 8-9. If the parks are open WDW gets the money. If not and they have a car Red Lobster etc gets the money.

When do you see the most shopping at WDW? After dark. Longer hours means more money spent at the shops. And don't tell me the people will all go to DTD. At 7 most will just head to Red Lobster or back to their room.

Longer hours = more profit and a living wage for CM's. Again, I am NOT a CM, but I love them all for the Magic they bring to me.

Dwarful

When we were at WDW in May/June of 2002 we purchased a 5 day pass to Universal/IOA for $79 adults & $69 child. Now this was cheap..we only used it for 2 1/2 days but it was cheaper than buying the 3 day pass. It was also the deciding factor in going to those parks vs. additional time at WDW. We had 1 nephew on his first FLA. trip. The boys (our 2 nephews & my husband) are big on coasters/thrill rides so that was also a key factor. But doing the math we spent far less than $50 a day!

Still WDW is by far our favorite and on our next trip we won't be going to ANY other parks...just 10 glorious days at WDW! (we will be first time AP holders!)

Testtrack321

For the snooty people who say "$50 for this?", go to Six Flags.

But for $50 and get less of what you got for $40 a few years ago, that's a problem.

But look at it this way. When you pay $50 to enter a park, your money speaks. If you speak by not going to parks that have early closings and late openings, then do that. But 90% of the time when reduced hours are in effect, it's because attendence has dropped. And lets not forget that Disney has been talking to the FBI since the mid 90's about terrorism and crooks, so part of that $50 goes to paying those nice workers to search your bag early in the day and to patroll around DD on Segways at night to make sure your safe.

I'd rather pay $50 and be assured that I'm safe than pay $30 and have to watch my back.

JeepGuy77

But the bottom line is this: I pay MORE money for LESS time in the parks.

Right, but NOW you DONT have to WAIT in line for attractions... in theory. :)

As for my 2 cents on people complaining about the price etc. They need to deal. I'm sorry but my opinion is if you dont like it, then dont do it. I cant stand people who go on any vacations and dont do research on where they are going. If I was making atrip to a city, i would read up on it and search out places to go etc. Some people show up and wander for hours not knowing where they are or what they are doing. I had 3 people ask me last week at EPCOT where the rides were. I was in Future World at the time and it was approaching 8:00. I informed them that future world closes at 7 and the only two "rides" were in Norway and Mexico and that they were "boat rides." they looked all mad and as I walked away heard them say "rip off". I'm sorry, but read up about the park you are paying $50 to get into. Theres TONS of info out there. I'm sure they spent more time seaching for online than researching the parks. Plus hours, attractions, etc are posted several locations. I just guess some people arent that brilliant. I assume it's the same people we print "caution contents may be hot" on styrofoam coffee cups for.

Ok im off my soap box and i dropped my 2 cents. Maybe it fell through the cracks...

-Jesse

surfsupdon

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by Nickahlers
I for one feel $50 a day is more than worth it for several reasons:

1) Six Flags Great Adventure, located about twenty minutes from my house (and a park many of my students visit regularly) charges three dollars more, and believe me, anyone who has visited the Six Flags parks knows they are no match for Disney in ambience, style, theming, friendliness of the staff, and quality of the attractions.

2) Like a poster above said, I also attend Broadway musicals regularly. While at this time of year it's very easy to get a discount for most musicals besides the big hits (Hairspray, Lion King, The Producers, and maybe one or two more), you still on average pay about $65 (with the discount) for the best seats in the house for two and a half hours of entertainment.

3) Disney has a lot of intangibles that no one else can offer. Io nce spent almost an hour just chatting with a CM at my hotel pool (he was a lifeguard, and I work as a lifeguard at the beach during the summer, so we just chatted about the job).

Bottom line, if you think Disney is a budget vacation, you're grossely mistaken.

I agree. I too live 30 mins outside of SixFlags Great Adventure and will never, ever pay full price for a ticket at that park as it is not even nearly worth it. Great Adventure is more expensive than Disney on many levels, and offers substantially lower entertainment, no theming, no pleasantness, yet dirt and foul smells everywhere.

Though 50 is a lot of money, it is cheaper than most parks and you get to save like 12 bucks for a 6day plus pass...ohhhhh, ahhhhh! Haha, but i think it is def worth it at Disney, yet I am not the one paying yet.....

As a soon to be CM, I have been garunteed 30-45 hours, not to mention when peak season rolls around, and I'll be working about 50. The parks are only shorter hours due to the particular season.

Rdedeian

Originally posted by JRead

As for $50, I frequently pay $100 for a 2-3 hour Broadway show. If you look at entertainment per hour, it's not a bad deal. It costs almost $10 for a two hour movie, so if you're at a park from 9am-7pm you've basically spent the same ammount per hour.

Its not a bad deal at all, I just don't understand how much people complain about prices for things these days when you still are going to pay it no matter what.

The guy in my avatar (Dave Matthews) has some of the lowest ticket prices in music for concerts and people complain left and right about the prices still being too high.

Its simple if you don't like the price, don't pay it, complaining doesn't help!

Wckd Queen

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Six Flags Great Adventure and, while I havent been there since high school (right before the fire), I do remember the nasty smell. I remember saying to my friends "Disney is bigger and better and it doesnt smell" :lol: But we did love that flume ride they had (back then, it was called the Neste Plunge. Oh, I am SO old! Is it still there?)

I always consider my pass into the park to be part of the cost of the vacation. On our last trip, when I bought the hoppers at the Disney store right before we left, there was the initial "sticker shock" when told the price, but I just said the same thing: "Well, its DISNEY" and handed over the plastic.

Relatively speaking, I think I get alot more bang for my buck at WDW compared to other vacations I have taken. A NY Ranger game is going to cost my family, including dinner and parking, MORE than the cost of ONE 5 day hopper...and it only occupies us for 4 or 5 hours, if you count the drive into NYC. I have paid $150 each for 2 tickets to a concert. Again, with train to the city and dinner (and some Krispy Kremes), i could have bought TWO 5 day hoppers and gotten 2 adults 5 days of entertainment instead of 2 hours worth.

Also, Disney isnt one of those vacations I do on the cheap. If Im traveling 1100 miles, I want to do it right. I can do a few days down shore on a shoe string, but I wont scrimp on Disney.

kennyj29

$50

Well worth it..............I have NEVER seen garbage around or lines built up because of less people. I have never seen anything less attractive because of cut backs. We always go the end of November into the first week of December and I have to tell you it's the greatest!!! Not only do you get the Disney Magic but the Holiday Magic also!!! Complaints? No!!! I can't say everything has always gone 100% the way I want but as far as vacation spots go, you can't beat Disney. We used to go every two years but the last four years it's been EVERY year because no matter where we go, there are more complaints on those trips then Disney. I would pay more to go there!!! Not that I could afford it but I need that magic at least once a year. The work year is long and that's one place I NEED to go to.:sohappy:

BRER STITCH

I didn't want to quote anyone in particular, but for all those who keep using Six Flags as your benchmark for price comparisons, I just wanted to add:

There's a Six Flags less than an hour from my front door and I know of NOBODY - EVER - REALLY!!- who has paid full price to use that park since it opened some 30 years ago.

They constantly have discount offers in the papers, mail and supermarkets all summer. Most any Friday you can take as many people as will fit in your car or mini-van for $19.95!!!!

Even on other days, there are ALWAYS - A-L-W-A-Y-S! $10 off coupns or Half Price admission deals from local supermarkets.

I guess the point (and main difference with Disney) is.....when attendance is lower, Six Flags doesn't cut hours, close attractions, or layoff seasonal workers...they just bring more people in by making it more affordable!

More people = more $ spent on food, merchandise, and drinks in the park.

Take it for what it's worth.........

strobe

Worth every penny

To me, $50 is a bargain just to go in and see the park. Disney is unique in the fact that it isn't just 'thrill rides'. I would pay $50 just to walk through the World Showcase, take in the smells, scents and scenery. In fact, I would probably pay more! The rides are a lot of fun too, but for me, it is the whole experience.

Some of my favorite times at the Disney parks is enjoying a good meal and watching how happy and pleasant most people seem to be.

dreamer

Originally posted by BRER STITCH

I guess the point (and main difference with Disney) is.....when attendance is lower, Six Flags doesn't cut hours, close attractions, or layoff seasonal workers...they just bring more people in by making it more affordable!

Take it for what it's worth.........

Most of Disney's money is made from people travelling from out of town. So the effect of ticket price on the supply/demand equation for Disney is very different than for a park that draws heavily on a regional population. For my family of seven a 50% reduction in ticket price would reduce the cost of a 5 day Disney vacation by about 10%, which would not make or break a Disney vacation. Lodging is a bigger factor and Disney has addressed that with DVC AND the discount codes which give huge reductions for astute guests when attendance is low.

Besides, Disney DOES offer special discount tickets to locals. They've had 4-day passes for $100 for Florida residents-- that's a huge discount.

Dwarful

I understand that some people will find ways to complain about everything...they are usually the same people who DEMAND prime viewing for the parades 5 minutes before they start.

We return to WDW frequently...I buy the guide books yearly just to read through them and remind me of our trips to WDW. I talk about WDW on a regular basis and always look forward to going back w/my kids and my nieces & nephews.

Now with that said....when we were there in 2002 May/June..there were plenty of crowds, yet they had several drink stands closed, trash cans in the lines were over flowing and people were just piling the trash around them..this pleased the birds but not the people.

I obviously don't know what kind of hours the CM's were getting during this time period, but they could have used more help! During this time WDW had also posted E-ride nights and then cancelled them...(with the crowds they had they could have used them, that was a big disappointment) its the little things like that, those things that people expect from Disney based on the Disney Reputation...

I also wonder how many people actually pay $50 for a ticket? We have always bought park hopper passes w/ our MK discount or DC discount...next time it will be with the AP.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by dreamer
Most of Disney's money is made from people travelling from out of town. So the effect of ticket price on the supply/demand equation for Disney is very different than for a park that draws heavily on a regional population. For my family of seven a 50% reduction in ticket price would reduce the cost of a 5 day Disney vacation by about 10%, which would not make or break a Disney vacation. Lodging is a bigger factor and Disney has addressed that with DVC AND the discount codes which give huge reductions for astute guests when attendance is low.

Besides, Disney DOES offer special discount tickets to locals. They've had 4-day passes for $100 for Florida residents-- that's a huge discount.

Hmmmmmmm.....

My original post was referring to those who make that "price" argument. Guess I needed to come right out and say it: The Disney vs. Six Flags price comparison argument does not make any sense!!! :brick: .....let's review:

"I didn't want to quote anyone in particular, but for all those who keep using Six Flags as your benchmark for price comparisons, I just wanted to add:

There's a Six Flags less than an hour from my front door and I know of NOBODY - EVER - REALLY!!- who has paid full price to use that park since it opened some 30 years ago.

They constantly have discount offers in the papers, mail and supermarkets all summer. Most any Friday you can take as many people as will fit in your car or mini-van for $19.95!!!!

Even on other days, there are ALWAYS - A-L-W-A-Y-S! $10 off coupns or Half Price admission deals from local supermarkets.

Take it for what it's worth........."

alrcam

What I can't understand is that if you think it is expensive then you haven't been touched by the MAGIC.

Some people just can't lighten up and enjoy themselves.

As far as I am concerned it is fabulous value for money an I cannot get enough.

Only 37 days to go to trip no 5.

Dwarful

alrcam,
I definately have been touched by the Magic...maybe a bit too hard. But I think that when Disney makes cuts the effects the overall atmosphere of the park while still charging the full price, then it does impact the whole WDW experience.
I for one really missed going to COP on our last trip but in the 10 days we were there it was never open, also the area of the old Skyway was just sitting empty, some of the concession areas were closed down, its the little things that we have come to expect from Disney that just seems like a bigger deal when they aren't there...thats all I am saying...I spend way more than I should on a regular basis w/Disney at the stores, the outlet, the catalog, etc besides the money set aside for our trips!

I must admit though that your homeland is my ultimate destination...maybe someday! but we keep ending up at Disney!

kennyj29

Economy

Everyone has to realize to open a park and your losing money and you keep everything the same.................the staff, the concession stands, etc. isn't a great business move. Since 9/11, Disney wasn't doing as well and I could understand the cuts. I know a few months ago it had picked up again but now with the threat of war, I think they are cutting back because of what might happen(that I can't understand). If it DOES happen that's one thing but to cut because it MIGHT happen that's another. But we do have to understand the reasoning also. I know a lot of business's that have cut back and gone out of business since 9/11 so I just feel that we have to understand why things are going this way for awhile or until things get settled with the world problems. In the northeast where I'm from, Six FLags is not opened all year. Their main business is in the summer so the people will go for one day to enjoy the park and the attendance probably will be the same but Disney is opened all year and most of their business is from out of town so it's a totally different scenerio. I say for all the people who feel "The Magic" we will just have to hang in awhile and see what happens and enjoy Disney for what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

lilkitty819

The price of tickets never enters my mind when it comes to the magic of Disney..it's just part of my vacation....If I didn't feel it was worth it then I would be taking a different vacation...

Six Flag Tickets are cheap around here, you can get a yearly pass for about $70.00..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom