ABC Theatre being surveyed

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Screamscape reports today (with photo documentation, so none of that grain of salt garbage) that the ABC theatre is now being surveyed. Fantastic--it's about freakin time they start putting something in there. MGM seems to finally be getting some love.

2007_0621_ABCTheaterSurvey.jpg

source: Screamscape

Captain Chaos

Do we know this is anything more than just for Star Wars Weekends or some other one-time-only event?

If this was recent, then I doubt it was for Star Wars Weekend since SWW ends this weekend, I believe.... If it was a few weeks ago, then it is possible since they used the theater for some sort of presentation....

Kadee

Good to see that there is at least the possiblity of something being done with this building. It is such a huge space to be just sitting there empty.

I hope they actually add something related to the ABC shows. Even just little Lost, Grey's Antatomy, Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives, etc. displays would be great.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...or they could just be updating and checking the property specs....

This happened a few months ago at work. I enquired if we were finally getting a new soundstage, but they were just checking their building stats and confirming the figures that were a few years old - even though nothing had changed.

yoyoflamingo

Is it just me or has anyone ever seen someone survey inside a building before, is this common?

That is actually not inside the building. It's the waiting area outside, but it is under cover, much like Sounds Dangerous's on a larger scale. The picture was taken at night it looks like, so it appears to be inside.

Piebald

Yaaaaawwwwwn.......

They're probably just checking things out like Marni said. They use the ABC Theater for the Playhouse Concert Series in September/October. They have the smaller acts performing here while the big wigs perform at the Epic Theater (Wiggles, Doodlebops, etc).

DisneyBoiler

From what I have hear, the building has plans for the near future, but before anything can be put into the space the theater must be updated for ADA compliance. The incline in the seating area is too great, and will need to be leveled out. I've heard we can expect to see major work starting in upcoming months.

Ciciwoowoo

I used to love the old show they had there. I don't know why it was closed, it would have been pretty easy to keep it updated. Add a few clips of all the good new shows, voila!

I used to just die laughing watching people recreate Gilligans Island and that cute little candy scene from Lucy!

Blonde Princess

We were in MGM and they were also surveying the area in front of the ABC theater. We asked one of the engineers doing the surveying and he said that the leak under Echo Lake which caused Echo Lake to be drained and repaired caused sinking in the area. They have to survey the area to protect against potential sink holes under ground. Apparently cracks have appeared since this problem in some of the surrounding concrete, steps and buildings.

JWG

Ugh, I had forgotten about this dead space... MGM has lost some things between this, Millionnaire (already being rectified), Animation...

Guess I hadn't tied it all together not having been there since 2001. At that time all was still operating.

So which is true (the drainage problem or something big coming)?

*OFF TOPIC: I so wish they had a program with all of the current Disney parks in it, and you could pretend to be an imagineer and make them spectacular.

JWG

So which is true (the drainage problem or something big coming)?

*OFF TOPIC: I so wish they had a program with all of the current Disney parks in it, and you could pretend to be an imagineer and make them spectacular.

Rollercoaster Tycoon
Theme Park Tycoon

Not Disney themed, but same concept.

Shaman

We were in MGM and they were also surveying the area in front of the ABC theater. We asked one of the engineers doing the surveying and he said that the leak under Echo Lake which caused Echo Lake to be drained and repaired caused sinking in the area. They have to survey the area to protect against potential sink holes under ground. Apparently cracks have appeared since this problem in some of the surrounding concrete, steps and buildings.

Interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom