Abbreviations, Initials and Acronyms

WED Purist

Original Poster
Does anyone else have trouble with all the abbreviations for stuff? I usually keep another tab open just to Google them, and I work for the company. Do people just make them up for new things (I've noticed different acronyms by different people for some Fantasyland expansion attractions). It's funny to hear people who worked on projects continue to call them by the working title years later, CTX comes to mind. Here's to hoping I'm not alone.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Every company, industry, sport, discussion forum, etc. uses them. There's been a list provided, and more times than not one can figure out what's being discussed in the context of the message.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They don't use them to that extent. I've been to plenty of forums, and only Disney theme park ones use probably over a thousand acronyms. Regulars being annoyed by newcomers mentioning that I think need to get off their high horses a bit.

Really? Familiar with every other forum, corporation, sport, pastime, etc.... are we?

And again, a list was provided, and simply by looking at the context of the message the majority of acronyms are not that difficult to figure out for most people.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And that's what is kind of anti-logical about it, acronyms are used to give you the ability to read something faster. However, if you have to reference a list of a thousand acronyms to understand what people are talking about, that doesn't exactly save you time does it?

Sometimes it's obvious what people are talking about. Other times it's not. That's why this thread exists.

No, that's why context and the list of acronyms exists. This thread is nothing new.....

WED Purist

Original Poster
As an example

Every company, industry, sport, discussion forum, etc. uses them. There's been a list provided, and more times than not one can figure out what's being discussed in the context of the message.

Is BatB a show at DHS, or a restaurant in the FLE? Because until I came in here, everyone I knew called it BOG for the FLXP.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It was in WDW PGD, so I guess both would be covered.

Nine times out of ten you'll be able to get the drift of the conversation. And if not, just ask. There's plenty of occasions where people simply get lost in the acronyms, but everyone is usually willing to give them the meanings.....

WED Purist

Original Poster
Most times...

I agree that most times you can catch on, but have you ever noticed some abbreviations (I honestly believe) that person just made up? And people who carry a torch for things and bring them into a discussion they might not have anything to do with (JTtCotE or MTWR come to mind) make me pull out the Disney concordance.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree that most times you can catch on, but have you ever noticed some abbreviations (I honestly believe) that person just made up? And people who carry a torch for things and bring them into a discussion they might not have anything to do with (JTtCotE or MTWR come to mind) make me pull out the Disney concordance.

Yeah, those two are somewhat enigmatic, but again, the context usually provides some background. And you can do what I do with those- ignore them and move on.

Bob Saget

TDS can sometimes be a confusing one, because you don't know if the poster is referring to The Disney Store, or Tokyo Disney Sea.

CR is another example, as the poster could be referencing Contemporary Resort, or Cool Runnings.

olinecoach61

Does anyone else have trouble with all the abbreviations for stuff? I usually keep another tab open just to Google them, and I work for the company. Do people just make them up for new things (I've noticed different acronyms by different people for some Fantasyland expansion attractions). It's funny to hear people who worked on projects continue to call them by the working title years later, CTX comes to mind. Here's to hoping I'm not alone.

I agree acronyms are way overused on this forum, it's the only thing I don't like about these forums.

Sweet Melissa

I agree that the acronyms are a little too common. I don't have trouble deciphering their meaning, but I do think they make for clunky sentences. I trip over the initials a little bit if a post contains too many. I tend not to use them when I write because I think the actual words read a little more smoothly. I type quickly enough that it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

They don't bother me as much as the cutesy abbreviations some other Disney message boards use, though. "I made ressies for Cindy's Royal Table." "My daughter just loves her Mickey and Minnie souvies from our last vacation." I haven't seen that kind of thing here as much as other forums, thank goodness.

Nemo14

They don't bother me as much as the cutesy abbreviations some other Disney message boards use, though. "I made ressies for Cindy's Royal Table." "My daughter just loves her Mickey and Minnie souvies from our last vacation." I haven't seen that kind of thing here as much as other forums, thank goodness.

I agree with you there - those cutsey little "abreevies" make me want to :hurl: ie.

Bob Saget

"My daughter just loves her Mickey and Minnie souvies from our last vacation."
Souvies?? Why does that word make me want to hit something?

And what's the deal with expecting mothers referring to themselves as "Preggers" or "Prego"? Any self-respecting adult who even utters the word Preggers deserves to lose all parenting privileges henceforth.

Captain Chaos

TDS can sometimes be a confusing one, because you don't know if the poster is referring to The Disney Store, or Tokyo Disney Sea.

CR is another example, as the poster could be referencing Contemporary Resort, or Cool Runnings.

I don't think anyone in their right mind woudl ever confuse CR for Cool Runnings... I know Cool Runnings would never be the first thing on my mind when discussing WDW and hotels LOL...

MEMBER: Yea, I stayed at CR once.. Loved it.
CONFUSED MEMBER: You stayed at Cool Runnings?

:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom