Abandoned Ideas

Zman-ks

I don't know, but I would be interested also...
75.gif

Legacy

There's no true "nostalgia" site for Universal like Jim Hill or MiceChat. One reason is because of a fewer number number of "released and never happened" things that Disney seems to have several of. There are sites that have individual posts about scrapped concepts (such as ParkRumors), but even those aren't complete. They also focus more on IoA because there was an internet when that was being developed.

That said... there are pieces of IoA concept art that can been seen backstage at Universal that include scrapped concepts. One of the more popular ones was the HelicopTours in Jurassic Park, that would have been Soarin' before there was a Soarin'. There has also been concepts for a wooden coaster, a flying coaster themed to an aviary, and proposed jeep ride in JP.

Outside of Jurassic Park, there was a Rocky the Flying Squirrel coaster initially planned for Toon Lagoon, and the Van Helsing attraction for Lost Continent which utilized the Kuka Robocoaster sytem used in Forbidden Journey.

There were plans for several hotels and a golf course (located where Dr. Phillips High School sits), but the recession hit and scrapped all those cool things that would have given Disney a severe run for its money.

cheezbat

There's no true "nostalgia" site for Universal like Jim Hill or MiceChat. One reason is because of a fewer number number of "released and never happened" things that Disney seems to have several of. There are sites that have individual posts about scrapped concepts (such as ParkRumors), but even those aren't complete. They also focus more on IoA because there was an internet when that was being developed.

That said... there are pieces of IoA concept art that can been seen backstage at Universal that include scrapped concepts. One of the more popular ones was the HelicopTours in Jurassic Park, that would have been Soarin' before there was a Soarin'. There has also been concepts for a wooden coaster, a flying coaster themed to an aviary, and proposed jeep ride in JP.

Outside of Jurassic Park, there was a Rocky the Flying Squirrel coaster initially planned for Toon Lagoon, and the Van Helsing attraction for Lost Continent which utilized the Kuka Robocoaster sytem used in Forbidden Journey.

There were plans for several hotels and a golf course (located where Dr. Phillips High School sits), but the recession hit and scrapped all those cool things that would have given Disney a severe run for its money.

Can we please demo Dr Phillips high school and relocate it somewhere far enough away from the parks?

So much could be done with that land...

Legacy

Can we please demo Dr Phillips high school and relocate it somewhere far enough away from the parks?

So much could be done with that land...
Universal owned most of the land just past Dr. Phillips on Turkey Lake. The idea was that they would purchase Dr. Phillips and pay for a new campus closer to Sand Lake. The land on the DP side would then have a third park, two-three hotels and the golf course.

Sadly, during the recession they sold almost all of it.

HTF

Wow there's tons and 75% of them will never be known. Most will never get see the concept art either. There's all kinds of stuff from JP being where MIB is now, a Fast and Furious Sim replacing BTTF, a BTTF indoor rollercoaster, a Van Helsing Kuka Dark ride, Jurassic Park Jeep Safari, Mt Crumpit, are some of te more known ones.

Casper
A dark ride where guests would be transported on cartoony four-poster beds. They could make path choices - by steering with a candelabra located at the foot of the bed - as they maneuvered through the world of Casper the Friendly Ghost and his three not-so-friendly counterparts.

Bart Saves the World
Sim ride inside a bus driven by Otto

Hanna Barbera Parade

Batman vs the Penguin
A themed suspended dueling coaster (as B&M had not yet introduced their inverted coaster) that eventually evolved into DUELING DRAGONS once "Marvel Superhero Island" took the place of the planned DC themed area.

the.dreamfinder

Universal owned most of the land just past Dr. Phillips on Turkey Lake. The idea was that they would purchase Dr. Phillips and pay for a new campus closer to Sand Lake. The land on the DP side would then have a third park, two-three hotels and the golf course.

Sadly, during the recession they sold almost all of it.
The Lockheed property is so much bigger.

Sue_Vongello

Original Poster
Wow there's tons and 75% of them will never be known. Most will never get see the concept art either. There's all kinds of stuff from JP being where MIB is now, a Fast and Furious Sim replacing BTTF, a BTTF indoor rollercoaster, a Van Helsing Kuka Dark ride, Jurassic Park Jeep Safari, Mt Crumpit, are some of te more known ones.

Casper
A dark ride where guests would be transported on cartoony four-poster beds. They could make path choices - by steering with a candelabra located at the foot of the bed - as they maneuvered through the world of Casper the Friendly Ghost and his three not-so-friendly counterparts.

Bart Saves the World
Sim ride inside a bus driven by Otto

Hanna Barbera Parade

Batman vs the Penguin
A themed suspended dueling coaster (as B&M had not yet introduced their inverted coaster) that eventually evolved into DUELING DRAGONS once "Marvel Superhero Island" took the place of the planned DC themed area.

That is just amazing insight ... tell me @HTF ... I might be a broken record but I am also a HUGE Bond fan, I grew up with Connery (yeesh!) but has there ever been talk of a Bond attraction?

Legacy

Batman vs the Penguin
That's right. I had completely forgotten about Marvel Super Hero Island originally designed to be Gotham City itself.

HTF

That is just amazing insight ... tell me @HTF ... I might be a broken record but I am also a HUGE Bond fan, I grew up with Connery (yeesh!) but has there ever been talk of a Bond attraction?

Last I heard the licensing isnt going to happen so as of right this second no, but it's still possible.

Mike C

Apollo 13 was in development for a good while, but never occurred. It was going to use an advanced lim launch system (probably too advanced for the time period and got too expensive, I think Mummy wound up replacing it) and go in the studios. Patents for the ride system were applied, even, and work with Ron Howard and all did happen. Mission Space was somewhat of a counter from Disney at the time, but Apollo 13 was much more ambitious.

The lead designer was the guy from Falcon's Treehouse http://www.falconstreehouse.com/ before he left universal. Later did Turtle Trek and Cure of Dark Castle at Busch Gardens Wiliamsburg as well as several things in Europe.

cheezbat

The entire Gotham City project and the Back to the Future coaster are the two projects I'm the most sad never happened. Personally, the whole Gotham project seemed way more ambitious than Marvel Superhero Island...
And Back to the Future deserves SOMETHING ride-wise in the park. It's one of Universals all time best movie franchises!

Sue_Vongello

Original Poster
The entire Gotham City project and the Back to the Future coaster are the two projects I'm the most sad never happened. Personally, the whole Gotham project seemed way more ambitious than Marvel Superhero Island...
And Back to the Future deserves SOMETHING ride-wise in the park. It's one of Universals all time best movie franchises!

I think Back to the Future, Jaws, and Kong NEED some kind of presence as timeless Universal franchises.

HTF

@Sue_Vongello

Sue, heres some stuff to look over. Most of this is easily available on the internet ;)

Batman Themed DC Land that was part of the early concept of the original Cartoon World (Islands of Adventure) This is a string of many updates to the project.

82b98f69ecc0092d13e623e3d883dbc4.jpg

HTF

Other Jurassic Park Concept Art from IOA Concept Days as well as an update to the JP Jeep Safari from about 3 years ago.

HTF

Other IOA and Cartoon World concepts that never made it including the first carosel concept of Van Helsing, The Hanna Barbera Parade, Dr Suess's Nosarium,The original Ripsaw Falls, and the original rendering of Cartoon World itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom