Abandoned FW pavilion concepts?

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
Question: During the development of Epcot, were there any Future World (not World Showcase) pavilions that were either unapproved or abandoned altogether? If so, does anyone have any concept art or descriptions of what these pavilions would have been like or what they would've been themed to? Thanks

wanabeimagineer

Well in this Disney book I have that was printed in 1972, it has a little part in the back about a preview for EPCOT and it lists the pavillions planned, and one of them is for space. So the space one wasn't abandoned, but more just postponed (Mission:Space).

raven

Not an abandoned country but ride.

Germany originally was designed to have a boat ride. The loading area planned is now the clock shop.

bearboysnc

The Living Seas was originally supposed to be an omni-mover type dark ride dark ride, separating the facts and the myths about the ocean, ending with a trip through the salt water tank they now have.

It looked VERY COOL.

:(

gcurling

At one time a Movies and Entertainment pavillion was planned for the space between Imagination and The Land. Disney-MGM Studios was built and this idea was, of course, abandoned. In fact, the Studios was, in part, the growth and extension of this idea. And, of course, there is the little matter of the competitors setting up shop about 10 miles up the road.

raven

Originally posted by gcurling
At one time a Movies and Entertainment pavillion was planned for the space between Imagination and The Land. Disney-MGM Studios was built and this idea was, of course, abandoned. In fact, the Studios was, in part, the growth and extension of this idea. And, of course, there is the little matter of the competitors setting up shop about 10 miles up the road.

Yes! That was the original spot for the Great Movie Ride. I read about it in my imagineering book. The ride evolved into an entire park (MGM) and now TGMR is in it!

BSikor

The original plan for the Japan pavillion housed an animated show that told the history of Japan. It never came to see the light of day.

bearboysnc

quote "The original plan for the Japan pavillion housed an animated show that told the history of Japan. It never came to see the light of day."

Yes it did, it's called "MEET THE NATION" at TDL

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
Thanks for the info...does anyone know if there is actually any room left to build any other Future World pavilions?? My guess is that there's probably not room for more pavilions, due to Disney's demolition of Horizons for M:S and there decisions to redo both JII and WoM. But I'm not really sure on this...

mickeyman

I think that there might be enough room between the land and the living seas. Or maybe they could use the old oddassy resturant for something.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by NiCKEY NoUSE
Thanks for the info...does anyone know if there is actually any room left to build any other Future World pavilions?? My guess is that there's probably not room for more pavilions, due to Disney's demolition of Horizons for M:S and there decisions to redo both JII and WoM. But I'm not really sure on this...

There is room and plenty of it...the next rumored attraction (well after M:S of course) is the storm rider attraction from TDS. It would bring a whole new "discovery" to epcot...weather, something that was never touched in that park. It would also draw attention to that half of the park after there are 2 E-Rides next door to each other on the other side. Expect Disney to do something to the other side of the park soon when M:S does open...they don't want to have too much congestion on one part of Future World.

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
Here's another question: If the rumored weather pavilion does get built after M:S opens, could we see yet another pavilion next to The Land (on side unoccupied by Living Seas)?? If they made these changes, Epcot would definitely see major attendance increases.

raven

I would LOVE to sere the old Millenium building turned into another country pavillion. It of corse would be indoors like Mexico but something different. What else are they going to do with trhat building?

There is a huge gap between The Land and Living Seas. Almost as if this was intentional back in the day to add a future pavillion. Hmm?!!

BigNorm

I have the Disney Imagineering book written by Disney Imagineers. On page 28, it shows that there was a concept created for FW that explored classic movies from the past. But like all good Disney ideas, it was finally built and is known today as The Great Movie Ride at Disney-MGM Studios.

jabay

I really like that Weather-based attraction at EPCOT idea! Something like the Twister ride at Universal, but on a broader scale encorporating all types of weather. Like I've said before, The Living Seas needs to go!

mickeykid79

Maybe just give the rides that already exist a facelift. Tear down the EPCOT sign off Spaceship Earth. Add something futuristic like a Saturn ring around SE or I saw a concept art of Spaceship earth where its enclosed in a glass sphere and another one where moss, vines, and flowers adorn the sphere.:king:

SykedOwt

Originally posted by mickeykid79
Maybe just give the rides that already exist a facelift. Tear down the EPCOT sign off Spaceship Earth. Add something futuristic like a Saturn ring around SE or I saw a concept art of Spaceship earth where its enclosed in a glass sphere and another one where moss, vines, and flowers adorn the sphere.:king:

That Glass Idea Isn't Too Good for a Few Reasons. First Spaceship Earth is more than just that sphere. Theres that whole room after you get off the ride. Then Imgaine Your In line under that glass. Are You Aware of how extremely hot it would be. The Rings of Saturn sounds pretty cool but heres the problem. It's Called Spaceshipe EARTH. I Say Spaceship Earth is Fine as it Is.
The Living Seas Could Be Removed However. It hasn't been updated in, well, Ever. I Find it to Be Pretty Boring. Maybe they could keep it and add a little more excitement to it or just get rid of it and Add a whole new ride.

mickeykid79

Why not an attraction that deals with the element of FIRE.You realize EPCOT touches on all the elements of Earth.
Earth=The land
Wind=Rumored Weather ride
Sea=The Living Seas
Sky=SPACE
Heart=WondersofLife
Imagination=Imagination!

So you see Fire is a missing element.Maybe something like the Backdraft ride @ Universal or Journey into a Volcano:sohappy:

Rider

Originally posted by SykedOwt

That Glass Idea Isn't Too Good for a Few Reasons. First Spaceship Earth is more than just that sphere. Theres that whole room after you get off the ride. Then Imgaine Your In line under that glass. Are You Aware of how extremely hot it would be. The Rings of Saturn sounds pretty cool but heres the problem. It's Called Spaceshipe EARTH. I Say Spaceship Earth is Fine as it Is.
The Living Seas Could Be Removed However. It hasn't been updated in, well, Ever. I Find it to Be Pretty Boring. Maybe they could keep it and add a little more excitement to it or just get rid of it and Add a whole new ride.

Living Seas - They shouldn't close it, they should update it with some new exhibits and maybe a new ride, but never close it.

As for not changing SE, PLEASE PLEASE GET RID OF THE EPCOT THING. IT NEVER LOOKED GOOD. Apperently, Disney thinks changing park icons forever is a good idea....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom