a word about gratuities

DfromATX

It will appear on each restaurant receipt, you then decide how to pay the tip: cash, credit card, or charge to your room. You could even use a gift card. It isn't automatically charged to your room.

I miss the old days when tip was included in the DDP!! For our trip in July, we are doing the prepaid Visa/gift card idea that I've read about on here. It will be our first time NOT to do the DDP. I'm doing an experiment and putting the funds on a card of what the plan would have cost us so I can see if it's really worth it or not.

wendyphant

Can I (she says trembling not to start trolls off) ask what do you do about tip for buffets? Do you pay as you go into the restaurant and then leave tip on the table or as you leave the restaurant. In the uk a buffet is paid for as you enter so there is no bill to sort a tip.

DfromATX

Can I (she says trembling not to start trolls off) ask what do you do about tip for buffets? Do you pay as you go into the restaurant and then leave tip on the table or as you leave the restaurant. In the uk a buffet is paid for as you enter so there is no bill to sort a tip.

I would just leave a few bucks on the table (as I'm leaving), depending on how many people dined and how involved the wait staff were. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I probably would leave less money for a tip at a buffet than a regular restaurant. I've always wondered if they had buffets in other countries or if it was just an American thing.

yedliW

Disney buffets you get a bill at the end like menu restaurants. Often there are things you can add on (i.e. adult beverages or souvenir cups) that aren't included in the buffet price. Again with the 6 or bigger party, the tip is auto added to your bill.

Many buffets not at WDW (at least the ones I've been to) you pay ahead of time, the exceptions I can think of all tend to be Chinese food buffets.. but places like Golden Corral, you pay ahead of time. If it is a place that has a self serve soda, the tip would be lower, but if they bring your drinks, I tip a bit more. They are doing more than just bussing between courses.

TaraA-225

Adding it automatically if you are 6 doesnt really make sense for me sorry

My mother manages a very busy and popular restaurant where I grew up. They automatically add a tip for larger groups due to the things others mentioned, but also because it is a lot more difficult for a server and the restaurant to handle large groups. That is, large groups tend to be more demanding than a table of 2, and they have a greater tendency to linger. Thus, there is more work for the server, and the restaurant can't move the tables (turn them over to a new tab) as fast. So, the restaurant wants to assure the server a proper tip. If you have amazing service over the 18%, feel free to tip your server more. Very, very rarely are you going to have an experience where 18% isn't appropriate.

Maerj

I miss the old days when tip was included in the DDP!! For our trip in July, we are doing the prepaid Visa/gift card idea that I've read about on here. It will be our first time NOT to do the DDP. I'm doing an experiment and putting the funds on a card of what the plan would have cost us so I can see if it's really worth it or not.

I was actually thinking the same thing reading all of this. I remember when tip was included and you didn't have to worry about it. I know why they did it, I'm just saying things were much simpler before they did it.

NonnaT

Our group is 6 so they will add it then to our hotel i guess? For every ts?
No, not to your hotel, to your dining bill. you choose how to pay.
In restauants, it is Florida law that if a tip is to be added to a party of 6 or more (or whatever the particular restaurant rules are) if it is posted on the menu and/or posted as you are seated, it is considered a "charge".
Meaning that you are obligated by law to pay the gratuity. Compare it to ordering a steak for $30. You have ordered the meal, and unless something is dreadfully wrong you must pay. You cannot chose to pay only $15 for the steak.
This gratuity charge is added at all TS restaurants and buffets, but not to CS.
I hope this clarifies "automatic gratuities for parties of 6 or more"

Last edited:

J_Krafty24

I dont think it has been mentioned yet but if the service does not meet your expectations you may ask to speak to a manager and ask them to reduce the 18% tip.

NonnaT

Hmmm.... maybe you can?? I guess that's never occurred to me to do that. We've always just paid the tip at the restaurant. Sorry if I was mistaken. We don't usually charge anything to the room and of course the room is paid for before the trip.
You may pay the tip however you like, you have a cc attached to your magic bands. This cc covers costs you may incur, ie, not showing up for ADRs, etc. So, yes indeed you do pay for your room in advance, but a cc is connected to that.
So, your choices for payment, are:
1. Cash
2. Gift card
3. CC attached to magic band
4. CC or debit card you have on your person
And if you are dividing the gratuity, you can use more than one of the aforementioned types of payment. For example; DH and I pay our portion of the gratuity with cash, and you choose to pay with a debit card.
Disney makes it easy to split checks.

Wendy Pleakley

Disney buffets you get a bill at the end like menu restaurants. Often there are things you can add on (i.e. adult beverages or souvenir cups) that aren't included in the buffet price. Again with the 6 or bigger party, the tip is auto added to your bill.

What tip percentage is automatically added at the buffets? The question of what is an appropriate tip for a buffet comes up often as well. Curious if Disney adds the standard 18% or a different amount.

Hockey89

Some high end places have got rid of tipping and the prices have increased by 20-31% from what I see.... Be careful what you wish for....

yedliW

Remember (at Disney..), the only thing that a buffet server doesn't do that a menu server does is take your food order.. It often isn't your regular server that brings you your food at non-buffets, it is whatever server is available when the food is ready..

They take your drink orders and keep (or should) your glasses full, plus, they are busing your table more often than a regular menu restaurant.

MickeyMomV

You may pay the tip however you like, you have a cc attached to your magic bands. This cc covers costs you may incur, ie, not showing up for ADRs, etc. So, yes indeed you do pay for your room in advance, but a cc is connected to that.
So, your choices for payment, are:
1. Cash
2. Gift card
3. CC attached to magic band
4. CC or debit card you have on your person
And if you are dividing the gratuity, you can use more than one of the aforementioned types of payment. For example; DH and I pay our portion of the gratuity with cash, and you choose to pay with a debit card.
Disney makes it easy to split checks.
Just to clarify for #3. You are using your magic band to bill to your room and then you pay your room charges off with a credit card. There is no way to attach a credit card directly to your magic band. As I understand it, this was a security measure that was put in place to help prevent unauthorized charging and make the band more secure if lost.

jenos0524

Just to clarify for #3. You are using your magic band to bill to your room and then you pay your room charges off with a credit card. There is no way to attach a credit card directly to your magic band. As I understand it, this was a security measure that was put in place to help prevent unauthorized charging and make the band more secure if lost.
I have my CC already linked to my Magic Band, and I don't even have the band yet as I am not leaving until August.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom