Trip Report A very late, CD (Corona Driven), TR with a twist

Hi All!

Explanations of the title first.
A very late-this trip was December 2018.
CD (Corona Driven)-I'm a combination of bored and terrified and need a diversion so I am dragging out an old trip to write about!
Not to be all dramatic on the terrified part, but some of you may remember from my trip report from November of 19, that my husband is being treated for colon cancer. Well since that report his cancer has worsened a little and he is back on the more frequent higher dose chemo. He is doing absolutely great, that's not the problem. He's driving his John Deere around and playing in the yard. The problem is. I'm a physician and have to go into my nursing homes twice a week and very worried about bringing something home with me. The rest of the week I'm home on lock down like everyone else, hence the bored part!
Trip report with a twist-Anyone reading is more than welcome to put any of your own photos in that might match up with the locations in my report. I was hoping people would enjoy a reason to pull out their own photos and post them, to reminisce of happier times! And all gifs welcome and appreciated.

Before we get to any of the frivolity and fun.
I want to thank anyone who is working to make all humans have a better/easier time right now. This will be an incomplete list but-all hospital and medical care settings, nurses, aides, dietitians, therapists, doctors, emt's. All grocers, store employees, factory workers, sanitation workers, teachers, manufactures, delivery people of all types. Truckers, gas station attendants, and food service individuals. There is no way this list is complete and as you respond, please add any positions you can think of so we all remember as we hunker down, others are working and could be at risk so we can be a little safer. (And in turn hopefully keep others safe).

Now on to the fun part!
Who-Myself Cindy and my husband Gary. My son Seth and his friend from high school, Emily.
Where/When-We had a split stay at AK Kidani and Bay lake, Dec 17-21. (And ps when we're all worried about Covid I shouldn't be whining about anything), but I'm going to. Never ever, if I can avoid it will I do a split stay again, I know some people like them, but hopefully the first and last for me. More to come on that later.

Day 1
This was my first trip since I became (mostly) retired. I work part time now as above. My staff bought me this shirt and I had to show it off!
Ready to head to the airport at 5:20 am. Yuck. But somehow headed to Disney at 5:20 am never seems so bad!
IMG_9481.JPG

Seth and Emily as we wait for our Southwest flight to take off. If you have read my other trip reports you know I have trained my kids that it is so much quicker to just let me get the photo, pretend you don't mind, and we'll move on!
IMG_9484.JPG

We had an uneventful and more important, on time flight from Pittsburgh to MCO.
Seth and Emily as we arrived at the beautiful AKL. Love this place.
IMG_9485.JPG

We had received our room ready txt on the way there, nice and early, so my pictures aren't so great as the kids were rushing me to go see our room.
The tree looks so much prettier in person. but, I have always loved these lights.
IMG_9487.JPG

IMG_9488.JPG

And with all of the rushing around, I didn't even get any pictures of the room. And it was really nice with a savannah facing view. Sorry.

We threw our stuff in the room and headed out to our first park. Next up, Hollywood Studios!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So I just wanted to take a second and head back to the present and share this little moment with you all.
The little kind things people can do are amazing and can come at the best times.
It was a fairly crappy day at work today. Lot of patients not doing well. A lot of our patience running short.
Then our Nurse Practitioner J comes into work with a big bag on her shoulder.
Her mom had taken the time to make these really cool head bands with buttons that we could hook our face mask ear pieces on. Wearing a mask all day can really irritate your ears. Not only are we required to wear them all day long, but it isn't safe for the patients or us not to comply.
She wouldn't take any money for them, "just wanted to do something for you all".
I teared up then and am doing it again while I'm typing.
So we took this photo so she could see them being put to good use!
The gals all said I could put their names in but I'll just use initials.
Left to right facing photo. D, J, L, R, and you know who the shortest one is, me!
IMG_E6856.JPG

Lookin snaaaazy!
IMG_1465.JPG

This just all sucks. If you get a minute to send a cheery note or do something like this for someone out there working (in any field) currently, I promise it'll make their day.

riverside

Premium Member
This just all sucks. If you get a minute to send a cheery note or do something like this for someone out there working (in any field) currently, I promise it'll make their day.
I received an anonymous letter in the mail yesterday from someone who was shopping in the store Saturday morning & was impressed with the work ethic of the grocery clerks & the cashiers. This person had $200.00 in the envelope & asked me to divide it up among the people that were working that morning. It made me cry.
We've also had a lot of customers that will get cash back at the register & give it to the cashier as a thank you.
You're right--it will make their day. I'm very impressed & thankful for the way our employees have been working through all this. We've had a lot of aggravating incidents also so when people do these kind gestures I know it goes a long way.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I received an anonymous letter in the mail yesterday from someone who was shopping in the store Saturday morning & was impressed with the work ethic of the grocery clerks & the cashiers. This person had $200.00 in the envelope & asked me to divide it up among the people that were working that morning. It made me cry.
We've also had a lot of customers that will get cash back at the register & give it to the cashier as a thank you.
You're right--it will make their day. I'm very impressed & thankful for the way our employees have been working through all this. We've had a lot of aggravating incidents also so when people do these kind gestures I know it goes a long way.
That is so amazing and generous.
I definitely appreciate the staff at our little local grocery store. They have been pleasant (as they always are), and are very helpful.
I am so sorry there are the not so nice people causing you problems. Why can people not just chill?!

riverside

Premium Member
That is so amazing and generous.
I definitely appreciate the staff at our little local grocery store. They have been pleasant (as they always are), and are very helpful.
I am so sorry there are the not so nice people causing you problems. Why can people not just chill?!
I think at this point many people are frustrated(understandably so) & since there's really nowhere else to go they take it out on us!!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So, back to 2018!
This ability to time travel is fun but can give you whiplash!

Day 5-Last Day ☹

We packed up all of our gear and checked our carry-ons with bell services, then checked our luggage with the airline service desk.
We went up to Contempo Cafe for some breakfast before we headed over to the MK.

Yum Yum Yum, I love Mickey Waffles! Yes, capitalized! And this is a big one! I got bacon on the side.
IMG_9890.JPG

I love these chair backs!
IMG_9887.JPG

Seth and Emily stopped for a Starbucks and a photo.
IMG_9894.JPG

And one of Gary's favorite photos of the trip. At 18 Seth wasn't super willing to act like a human being, so Gary treasures this one all the more!
IMG_9911.JPG

First stop was to visit with Buzz. Just FYI, I am in no way going to show our scores. We aren't even close to the scores I've seen people report on here. We stink at this game! And I could only find our ride photo. I don't know what happened to Em and Seth's.
IMG_9953.JPG

Next Em and Seth rode SM, and I realize the photo I posted on day 2 of the report was actually from this day.
This ride photo was from day 2.
IMG_1828.JPG

We made our way back down MS, and checked out the Emporium. The fact that we have bags in our hand in some of our pics let me know we shopped, successfully, but I can't remember what we bought.

We got a group photo and what I thought was a super cute magic shot, appropriate for the season.
IMG_9959.JPG

This photo taken on our way out has become one of my favorites. When my daughter saw it she said "Mom, I love that picture of you and Dad"! I still use it as the front picture on my phone.
IMG_9957.JPG

We stopped to use our last FP of the trip and get a photo with all of my favorite guys!
IMG_9948.JPG

We walked over to Bay Lake, retrieved our gear from bell services and waited in the lobby for the magic bus.
Seriously?!
IMG_9962.JPG

We made it to MCO with plenty of time to eat, make it through security and board our Southwest flight home. Thankfully no drama there!

Annndd back to 2020 and day 6134 of lock down!!
Just a closing thought or two.

At the beginning of this TR I mentioned the annoyance of the split stay. Everyone is different but I know for us the only way we would consider that again (given a choice), is if we were staying much longer. I found it to be a supreme pain to check in on Monday, and by Tuesday evening having to pack up again and move.
A couple of other considerations with split stays is that they are 2 reservations, and as such you can't book your dining for the entire stay at 180 days without the assistance of a CM on the phone. And if you are trying to get a coveted reservation that is an hour or so of time delay. (I don't know if that process is still in place).
Fast Passes can be booked for length of stay at 60 days.
And then, what occurred with us with the Dining Plan mess up. Just not worth it to me.

I wish for everyone to remain safe through this crazy time. And, I hope, very much, that everyone that had to cancel their trips get to reschedule soon and get to Disney and have a blast making up for lost time!

Thank you all very much for following along!

Last edited:

k8einwdw

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! Reading everyone’s trip reports makes being stuck at home a little more tolerable. I hope you and your family are staying safe!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thanks for the retro report, Cindy, and for working in the trenches during this pandemic❣

Does Seth attend SCAD?
Thanks for reading along and your kind words.

Yes, Seth goes to SCAD, the Savannah campus. He really likes it so far.
Really crazy thing, is they have a campus in Hong Kong and he was either going to go there this spring or next fall but had changed his mind before all of this, thank goodness!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your trip with us! Reading everyone’s trip reports makes being stuck at home a little more tolerable. I hope you and your family are staying safe!
Thanks for following along and I agree. I love reading everyone's reports. (Even before all of this crazy).
Same to you and yours!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Made my weekly grocery drop off at my folks’ and grabbed these from the cabinet for a quick pic @MickeyCB!

View attachment 464251
Those are beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to get that photo!
But I never knew there was a clear Mickey!
I’m feeling a little like Ariel, but my collection is NOT complete! These are the ones I have.
C8B71FA9-BDB6-4DA3-9CB3-1A2199962252.jpeg

So now I feel the need to investigate just what characters and colors these were made in!

And your parents are very lucky to have you helping them out. Stay safe.

riverside

Premium Member
Great TR!! I've been so behind on reading so many(& doing my own!!) but this was a nice diversion from our current world!! I hope you & your family continue to stay safe!! And Gary is more than welcome to visit me at the grocery store anytime he would like!!:joyfull:

krisri18

So I just wanted to take a second and head back to the present and share this little moment with you all.
The little kind things people can do are amazing and can come at the best times.
It was a fairly crappy day at work today. Lot of patients not doing well. A lot of our patience running short.
Then our Nurse Practitioner J comes into work with a big bag on her shoulder.
Her mom had taken the time to make these really cool head bands with buttons that we could hook our face mask ear pieces on. Wearing a mask all day can really irritate your ears. Not only are we required to wear them all day long, but it isn't safe for the patients or us not to comply.
She wouldn't take any money for them, "just wanted to do something for you all".
I teared up then and am doing it again while I'm typing.
So we took this photo so she could see them being put to good use!
The gals all said I could put their names in but I'll just use initials.
Left to right facing photo. D, J, L, R, and you know who the shortest one is, me!
View attachment 463531

Lookin snaaaazy!
View attachment 463532

Love this idea! It's fantastic! I think my ears are permanently bent forward from mask wearing at this point.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Great TR!! I've been so behind on reading so many(& doing my own!!) but this was a nice diversion from our current world!! I hope you & your family continue to stay safe!! And Gary is more than welcome to visit me at the grocery store anytime he would like!!:joyfull:
Thanks for reading. I find these fun to write and reminisce!
And thanks for the grocery store invite, I'll tell Gary then you'll be sorry. He'll be one of those people you described in there a couple times a day. Who does that?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom