Trip Report A very late, CD (Corona Driven), TR with a twist

Hi All!

Explanations of the title first.
A very late-this trip was December 2018.
CD (Corona Driven)-I'm a combination of bored and terrified and need a diversion so I am dragging out an old trip to write about!
Not to be all dramatic on the terrified part, but some of you may remember from my trip report from November of 19, that my husband is being treated for colon cancer. Well since that report his cancer has worsened a little and he is back on the more frequent higher dose chemo. He is doing absolutely great, that's not the problem. He's driving his John Deere around and playing in the yard. The problem is. I'm a physician and have to go into my nursing homes twice a week and very worried about bringing something home with me. The rest of the week I'm home on lock down like everyone else, hence the bored part!
Trip report with a twist-Anyone reading is more than welcome to put any of your own photos in that might match up with the locations in my report. I was hoping people would enjoy a reason to pull out their own photos and post them, to reminisce of happier times! And all gifs welcome and appreciated.

Before we get to any of the frivolity and fun.
I want to thank anyone who is working to make all humans have a better/easier time right now. This will be an incomplete list but-all hospital and medical care settings, nurses, aides, dietitians, therapists, doctors, emt's. All grocers, store employees, factory workers, sanitation workers, teachers, manufactures, delivery people of all types. Truckers, gas station attendants, and food service individuals. There is no way this list is complete and as you respond, please add any positions you can think of so we all remember as we hunker down, others are working and could be at risk so we can be a little safer. (And in turn hopefully keep others safe).

Now on to the fun part!
Who-Myself Cindy and my husband Gary. My son Seth and his friend from high school, Emily.
Where/When-We had a split stay at AK Kidani and Bay lake, Dec 17-21. (And ps when we're all worried about Covid I shouldn't be whining about anything), but I'm going to. Never ever, if I can avoid it will I do a split stay again, I know some people like them, but hopefully the first and last for me. More to come on that later.

Day 1
This was my first trip since I became (mostly) retired. I work part time now as above. My staff bought me this shirt and I had to show it off!
Ready to head to the airport at 5:20 am. Yuck. But somehow headed to Disney at 5:20 am never seems so bad!
IMG_9481.JPG

Seth and Emily as we wait for our Southwest flight to take off. If you have read my other trip reports you know I have trained my kids that it is so much quicker to just let me get the photo, pretend you don't mind, and we'll move on!
IMG_9484.JPG

We had an uneventful and more important, on time flight from Pittsburgh to MCO.
Seth and Emily as we arrived at the beautiful AKL. Love this place.
IMG_9485.JPG

We had received our room ready txt on the way there, nice and early, so my pictures aren't so great as the kids were rushing me to go see our room.
The tree looks so much prettier in person. but, I have always loved these lights.
IMG_9487.JPG

IMG_9488.JPG

And with all of the rushing around, I didn't even get any pictures of the room. And it was really nice with a savannah facing view. Sorry.

We threw our stuff in the room and headed out to our first park. Next up, Hollywood Studios!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Love this idea! It's fantastic! I think my ears are permanently bent forward from mask wearing at this point.
🤣 Ouch!
I thought it was so cool. And I realized she made ours with a soft stretchy cloth, but I assume any cloth headband could just have old buttons sewn on.
What are you doing that is requiring you to wear a mask if I could ask?
And whatever it is, stay safe!

riverside

Premium Member
Thanks for reading. I find these fun to write and reminisce!
And thanks for the grocery store invite, I'll tell Gary then you'll be sorry. He'll be one of those people you described in there a couple times a day. Who does that?!
More than you can imagine—he’ll blend right in!!

krisri18

🤣 Ouch!
I thought it was so cool. And I realized she made ours with a soft stretchy cloth, but I assume any cloth headband could just have old buttons sewn on.
What are you doing that is requiring you to wear a mask if I could ask?
And whatever it is, stay safe!
I'll have to see if I have any headbands lying around! I work at a group home for teenagers with psychiatric disorders. With the state pretty much shut down, they have no school/day programs and there's no where to go, so they are going a bit stir crazy. We're required to wear a mask at all times.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I'll have to see if I have any headbands lying around! I work at a group home for teenagers with psychiatric disorders. With the state pretty much shut down, they have no school/day programs and there's no where to go, so they are going a bit stir crazy. We're required to wear a mask at all times.
That has to be an incredibly difficult job on a good day! My hat is off to you!
Stay safe!

JosieBee

Enjoying your trip down memory lane. Taking a little break from my new normal of "remote teaching" so these trips give me a little shot of joy! Thanks for sharing!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Love that retirement shirt! 😁
It is my absolute favorite!!
Enjoying your trip down memory lane. Taking a little break from my new normal of "remote teaching" so these trips give me a little shot of joy! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading!

And bless you and all of the teachers right now! My friend is a teacher and she said it was so hard to change how she teaches. She is very dedicated.

lindawdw

I totally enjoyed your retro TR and appreciate all you do to help out on the frontlines during this epidemic. It was fun hearing about your adventure that had some high moments along with some frustrating moments. We just started doing split stays recently and while it is a pain repacking and dealing with storing your luggage, I do like that it can feel like two different vacation experiences. I totally agree about what a pain it can be with the dining plan!!! My DD and I took a trip to Savannah in early March (before things got too crazy) and saw so many SCAD signs and buildings along with talking with the students from there that were servers at the restaurants we dined at! Your son is very lucky to go to school in such a beautiful city! Stay safe and look forward to reading about future WDW adventures.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I totally enjoyed your retro TR and appreciate all you do to help out on the frontlines during this epidemic. It was fun hearing about your adventure that had some high moments along with some frustrating moments. We just started doing split stays recently and while it is a pain repacking and dealing with storing your luggage, I do like that it can feel like two different vacation experiences. I totally agree about what a pain it can be with the dining plan!!! My DD and I took a trip to Savannah in early March (before things got too crazy) and saw so many SCAD signs and buildings along with talking with the students from there that were servers at the restaurants we dined at! Your son is very lucky to go to school in such a beautiful city! Stay safe and look forward to reading about future WDW adventures.
Thanks for following along! And the work has been interesting for sure!

The split stays aren't for everyone. I think if we were there for a long stay, maybe 10 days or so it would have been fun to stay at 2 resorts but 4 nights was pushing it.

He really enjoys SCAD and seems to be getting a good education there, and they do seem like they are preparing them for the connections they will need for jobs. We'll see how crazy it's going to be to get work in 2 years after the Corona ripple.

You stay safe as well. We are tentatively trying to pull together a fall trip but not all family members schedules are lining up.

Loco_driver

Thanks for sharing your retro TR. I promise I’ve been following along, but like most people things are just so strange and crazy here that I haven’t been able to interact much. Thanks for working on the frontlines during this insanity(and all other times really). I hope you guys get to take a trip in the fall!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your retro TR. I promise I’ve been following along, but like most people things are just so strange and crazy here that I haven’t been able to interact much. Thanks for working on the frontlines during this insanity(and all other times really). I hope you guys get to take a trip in the fall!
Thanks for tagging along! When are we going to get to read one of your TR's again?!
I hope you guys are doing well and staying safe.
It's been crazy for sure. Nothing like the work I've seen those poor souls in NY having to do. Cheers to them for sure!
And funny you should say that about the fall. We just booked for October and fingers crossed it will come to fruition!

Loco_driver

Thanks for tagging along! When are we going to get to read one of your TR's again?!
I hope you guys are doing well and staying safe.
It's been crazy for sure. Nothing like the work I've seen those poor souls in NY having to do. Cheers to them for sure!
And funny you should say that about the fall. We just booked for October and fingers crossed it will come to fruition!
We are doing well. I have been working, but am now off thanks mostly to the virus. We finally got out of the house to go hiking today. We didn’t encounter another soul out on the trail, so I guess we properly distanced ourselves! I have a very good friend who’s been working as a nurse at metropolitan hospital in NYC for the last 3 weeks. She’ll be returning home tomorrow to start her mandatory 2 week quarantine, so cheers to her and many more like her! As for our next TR, I guess it’s kind of up in the air at the moment. We have plans to be in California in mid July, but I’m not too optimistic that’ll happen at this point. Hopefully our WDW trip in September will happen!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So, I'm bumping my own old TR here to share our fabulous news. I don't know about you guys but 2020 in general just needs to go away!

But, we found out we're going to be first time grandparents, fingers crossed because it is 2020, in December!!!!!
And yesterday found out it's going to be a baby girl!!! (And a boy would have been just as fine)!
I absolutely could not resist (but didn't tell my daughter yet because I will get in trouble for this as I was told they were going to put their foot down on too many Mickey items).
So, mwahahaha.... it's not a Mickey item I bought!
IMG_2407.JPG

So excited! Here's hoping 2020 straightens itself out!

riverside

Premium Member
So, I'm bumping my own old TR here to share our fabulous news. I don't know about you guys but 2020 in general just needs to go away!

But, we found out we're going to be first time grandparents, fingers crossed because it is 2020, in December!!!!!
And yesterday found out it's going to be a baby girl!!! (And a boy would have been just as fine)!
I absolutely could not resist (but didn't tell my daughter yet because I will get in trouble for this as I was told they were going to put their foot down on too many Mickey items).
View attachment 474885

Again, congratulations to all of you!! And what's this about too many Mickey items :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I didn't know that could even be a possibility!!

This is definitely a bright spot for 2020!!:happy:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

View attachment 474885

Finally!!!!
Some GOOD news.
Congratulations granny!!!😉

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Again, congratulations to all of you!! And what's this about too many Mickey items :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I didn't know that could even be a possibility!!

This is definitely a bright spot for 2020!!:happy:
First, it was super nice of you to let Gary and I drop in on you today! It was so nice to meet you in person.
(I dropped in on Riverside while we were running errands in Pittsburgh today, and she is as gracious in person as she is online)!
IMG_2450.JPG

And, regarding the Mickey's, you know, you are correct! I will be quoting you when I get the heavy sigh..."Mom". 🤣

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom