A Very Difficult Day...

donaldtoo

Original Poster
Didn't know exactly where to put this. Didn't want to put this in our regular thread, so as not to bring it down, so I chose to just start a thread. I hope this is all OK and in an appropriate place in the forums. If not, mods please move, and please accept my apologies.
The short of it is, Indy passed last night.
We had been told that he had a heart murmur when we first took him to our vet. They said that it was not life-threatening and to bring him back when he was about 9 months old (he was 4-1/2 mos. old) to take another look. He was with a litter of strays (5 altogether) when they were found and brought to the shelter that we adopted him from. The same shelter as Belle. He was always so loving and perky and ready to play. Such a wonderful, beautiful pup.
Belle definitely misses him, too. She just seems so confused.
Last evening, DW and myself were on our way to the viewing of an old friend that had passed over the weekend. We got a call from a very panicked DS that Indy was having problems. We immediately turned around. Youngest DD was out, but, she was closer so we called her to head home. She picked up DS and Indy and headed for the vet ER. We would meet them there.
Then we got another call from youngest DD. She had crashed her truck into the side of the building on her way into the parking lot, because she was in such a panic. Indy was already gone by then we would learn later.
The kiddos are OK physically, and of course, that is by far and away the most important thing. But, we are, of course, completely heartbroken about our dear little buddy pup.
Things are a bit better today, but, we're still hurting a bunch.

Anyway, I figured some of y'all would want to know, even though the news is not good, since I introduced him to y'all when he became part of our family.

Also, thanks for listening to this old sap.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My heart and my prayers go out to you and your family. Indy was such a sweet dog and gave so much joy to your family. It really hurts to lose a beloved pet. We mourn the loss with you.

I know that your daughter is o.k., but I was sorry to hear about the mishap with her truck. Glad she wasn't hurt.

The Mom

Premium Member
" 'tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." Tennyson

Your puppy gave you love and joy, and you returned it in full. If you could go back and do it all over again, would you change your mind about adopting him? I think you know the answer. When the hurt has passed, the remembrance of the love you had for each other will remain.

I'm sorry for your loss, and have lost enough loved ones (both people and pets) to know the hurt you're feeling.

NYwdwfan

" 'tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." Tennyson

Your puppy gave you love and joy, and you returned it in full. If you could go back and do it all over again, would you change your mind about adopting him? I think you know the answer. When the hurt has passed, the remembrance of the love you had for each other will remain.

I'm sorry for your loss, and have lost enough loved ones (both people and pets) to know the hurt you're feeling.

I can't say it any better than this, so I won't try.

:(

donaldtoo

Original Poster
Thanks so very much to all of y'all for your very kind words and thoughts.
It means more than y'all will ever know.
Since we were married and moved into our home almost 25 years ago, we've had a total of 9 dogs over those years.
I was real close to the first one, and then he passed unexpectedly at about 6 mos. Since that time, I was more distant with all the rest. Carolyn and the kiddos seemed to take up my slack just fine.
That is until Belle, and, especially, Indy came into our lives. His personality was like no other pup we've ever had. So playful and curious and silly-feisty, but, he somehow always knew when it was time to chill a bit and just be a snugly, affectionate, and loving pup. Even with his diagnosis, we never noticed him being lethargic, or sickly, or out of breath, or anything like that in any way. He was just the sweetest most beautiful soul.
Time will heal as it always does, but, little Indy will always be a bright, shining star in our memories.

Other than the fact that I hope you're up there frolicking in that big puppy field in the sky, rest in peace, sweet little Indy.

Brian & Jill

My wife and I feel your pain,our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.:( We know that it is absolutely heartbreaking when you lose a pet. My aunt had sent us the following poem after we had lost our beloved 11 year old shi tzu. Forewarning it is a tear jerker. I still get a little misty eyed when I read it. image.jpg
Glad to hear your daughter is ok.

donaldtoo

Original Poster
My wife and I feel your pain,our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.:( We know that it is absolutely heartbreaking when you lose a pet. My aunt had sent us the following poem after we had lost our beloved 11 year old shi tzu. Forewarning it is a tear jerker. I still get a little misty eyed when I read it. View attachment 65150
Glad to hear your daughter is ok.

Thank you so very much for that, and condolences for your loss, as well. Can be very tough, indeed.
And yes, the poem got some water goin'. There is no way in the world it couldn't have.

We still have our Belle, and are so very happy we do. She is one silly-awesome pup that we love so very much, too.
Oh, and does she ever still miss Indy. She's still doin' her uncharacteristic, occasional share of moping around, and just last night one of the kiddos was watching a video of Indy on their phone and when Belle heard him in the video she went nuts trying to find him. The video was immediately stopped, and we all had a bit of a moment.

And, thanks again so very much to all of y'all for taking the time to share your kind thoughts and words.
It is so very much appreciated.
May God bless you all, and all of your furry friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom