A Theory as to What Disney is "Missing" These Days

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Where did I say that? I along with every other stinking rich person on the boards do not really know how that is going to work out. But, I did say that Walt bought back controlling interest. We got what we have from that happening. I'm thinking that's not all bad, but, to be honest I have no actual idea what that is going to eventually create.
It was my extrapolation. You clearly state that no company can be truly entrepreneurial when in the serve of short term looking shareholders. Control the majority of the stock and you can have more freedom. Surely thats what this is all about?

graphite1326

I didn't read this post because I get tired of all the "negative vibes" they cause.

what is Disney missing (I'm sure someone already said this) ME!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Personally, I fear that the whole idea of theme parks has reached something of a hurdle. Brainstorming is fun, and I have done it for Disney several times on these boards. Can anyone truly brainstorm a great new bunch of ideas for the theme park setting? For full new parks? For new attractions? For new parades/shows? And will that idea have a long life or only a short-term life? Will they "wow" the public long enough to pay for themselves?

Epcot was not an utterly unique idea. It followed the tried and true World's Fair concept of Tech and global enlightenment--a combination of futurism and world travel in one place. World's Fairs had been out of style for some time back in the early 80's, but Epcot was optimistically done anyway. It went against some trends, but it also was a natural expansion of the tried and true Magic Kingdom which was awash in visitors. It made good and obvious sense at most levels, and that was key to its development.

Studios followed because Universal was breathing down Disney's neck, and it was a successful theme park theme elsewhere. In many ways, it was also a no-brainer, but definitely had some overlap with the theming of MK already.

Animal Kingdom was also a no-brainer idea for an expansion because enhancing the zoo experience ala Busch Gardens and Sea World made sense. By far, Animal Kingdom is the best zoolike animal themed park out there, but it is not utterly unique.

What's next? Sports World? Maybe, but the no-brainer ideas for theme parks aren't as obvious as they once were.

I also think that investing in attractions presents a much shorter window for the return on investment these days. How much longer will Frozen be big? Yet the Frozen attraction is barely open. Will they recoup their costs? Luckily, the attraction wasn't a total new build, it was built on the skeleton of Maelstrom. When everything else at WDW was built, a long timeline for recoupment of costs was anticipated. Now, times change so fast that new isn't perceived as "new" for very long, thus scaring bigwigs into thinking that their multi-multi-million dollar investment won't pay off.

As for maintenance, I also agree that the bean counters are taking over a bit too much, and Expedition Everest is a prime example. Yeah, the Yeti has been on the blink, but the disappeared bird at the top, steam effects, and much else have been broken for a long time, and probably comparatively easy to fix. Too few bodies with wrenches and stepladders to keep up, and too few bodies with paintbrushes and brooms to keep it as sparkling.

Why? One must consider the general idea that CMs in the parks can't be outsourced. Today's economy tends toward outsourcing because it lowers costs. Three notable areas cannot do that, government services, health care and entertainment. You can't let people at a call center in New Delhi pick up the garbage, man the gates, or do the 100's of other jobs that are actually at the parks. People here and now do those jobs, and they require wages and a host of other benefits and costs to stay there. By comparison, the number of people needed onsite to keep WDW going is far higher per dollar of return than, for example, an insurance company or manufacturing plant where much of the old American work is now computerized and/or outsourced. Efficiencies in other areas of the economy cannot be significantly realized at WDW. Real people have to do them, and outsourcing and/or tech efficiencies at a theme park happen far more slowly than in other areas where most of us work. Yet what has been getting cut? Employees in government, Obamacare cuts in healthcare, and piddly wages for workers in entertainment.

Thus, expenses rise because onsite people are needed, and the only thing that can make a realistic cost savings is cutting the maintenance and development budget. Sad, but that may be the real underlying reason for maintenance cutbacks.

Yeah, pessimism that Walt might have shrugged off, but the above issues are indeed real, and perhaps contribute to the overall state of perceived decline, and thus the feeling of pessimism. One thing's certain, love him or hate him--Eisner was not a pessimist, and he wasn't overly cautious. He dramatically expanded the parks and enhanced the park experience. Now the expansion is where the new markets are--cruiselines and overseas parks. The markets are there for the taking PLUS both of these have cheaper workforces. Coincidence? I think not.

Yet down I-4 there is ANOTHER park with better wages and who BUILDS stuff and their financial returns are far better than WDW's... Could it be that the OLD formula STILL works but one company wants to play financial engineer instead of imagineer...

Ralphlaw

Yet down I-4 there is ANOTHER park with better wages and who BUILDS stuff and their financial returns are far better than WDW's... Could it be that the OLD formula STILL works but one company wants to play financial engineer instead of imagineer...

I'm a little skeptical about the claims of betters and greater financial returns. Long-term,. I do not necessarily believe that to be true. Do you have any hard info to back that up?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm a little skeptical about the claims of betters and greater financial returns. Long-term,. I do not necessarily believe that to be true. Do you have any hard info to back that up?

Just look at Comcast's latest 10K and 10Q filing(s), It will show all the hard data you could ever want then compare those with Disney and draw your own conclusions

Tay

For me it's the priority of other properties before Disney's classic characters in meet and greets, attractions, and merchandise. I know it's been beat to death around here and I know nobody knows the name of Mr. Toad's movie or what movie is Based off Splash Moantain but did we ever need Pandora over Disney properties like Junglebook, Lion King or Tarzan? The popularity was waning when Disney announced the land and after the official sequel release date the general consensus is nobody cares about the franchise anymore.

Classic films without rides:Cinderella(Fantasyland),Sleeping Beauty(Fantasyland ), Jungle Book(Animal Kingdom), Beauty and the Beast(Fantasyland), Aladdin(I love carpets but come on)Lion King(Animal Kingdom), Pocahontas (maybe not because of PC people), Hunchback (and the rest of movies made in France could all be a part of one big ride in Epcot), Hercules(could be in Epcot or Adventureland or maybe DHS), Mulan(why is the not in the China pavilion already), Tarzan(Animal Kingdom) and LILO and Stitch(deserves better than SGE).

Plus pretty much every popular older ride could use major refurbs right now that wouldn't take almost 2 years. Universal is almost finished in under a year with a major refurb of a coaster you could see miles away.

They're slightly getting better at merchandise but still not on the level of Potter.

Matt_Black

There's more to WDW than rides. Beauty & the Beast has a stage show, a restaurant, and Enchanted Tales. With the exception of Hunchback & Hercules, the other films mentioned are at least represented with regular character meets.

Mirabeau

I think some of the charm of Epcot is it's seventies optimism. My teenage kids noticed and appreciated it too, Epcot is still everyone's favourite with us.
It could do with a bit of an update true, the French show is about 30 years old. But I do appreciate the concept, I wish there was more attempt to educate in theme parks. It would be nice if the Land for instance could be updated to discuss bio-engineering and perhaps serious issues such as climate change... Some of us do have a brain!

Timeshark

I think its less about optimism vs pessimism and more about greed and lack of skill in leadership. Things that are being done aren't being done well (at least by historical Disney standards) while the people at the top line their pockets and talk about all the good they are doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom