• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Trip Report A tale of two Values-Split stay Pop and Aoa May 2018


Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Day 5 Part 1 May 12 (Mother’s Day):
I have tried to finish this trip report once a week for the past few weeks but being a mom on “summer vacation” is much more demanding than my normal work schedule and I have been tired!
That being said, Day 5 started with some sleeping in and eventually we moseyed our way to Landscape of Flavors for breakfast. The kids shared character waffles, R ordered a platter or some sort and I opted for a grab and go breakfast sandwich and Joffreys iced coffee. Everything was gobbled up quickly and we were ready for the pool.
We spent the rest of the morning in the big blue pool and the kids loved playing in the jellyfish area. My feet were glad for a break after lots of walking earlier in the trip.
We had a lunch ADR so after a pit stop to wash up and change in our room we boarded a bus to Disney Springs.
Our ADR was for Frontera Cocina. We were early but they were able to seat us right away. I noticed as we walked through the restaurant that more tables had been packed in since my last visit-I am not sure if this was temporary or not. Our table tucked in the back corner seemed fine until a couple clearly on a date was seated at the 2 top that was uncomfortably close to us. The looks on their faces plainly read that they were not happy to be sitting next to two small children so we switched seats to move the kids away from them.
The kids didn’t mind their new seats and when this arrived the problem was erased from my mind:
Watermelon Pink Flamingo margarita is second only to the Rose Margarita that was offered at Flower and Garden 2018.
I was feeling so calm after a few sips that I forgot to take pictures of our food. Our appetizer was the Queso Fundido which was a warm cheese dip with peppers and onions served with corn tortillas. It was ooey gooey and delicious but I would suggest requesting tortilla chips instead of the soft tortillas to make it easier to eat. We have since made our own version at home and added roasted garlic and it was even better.
The remnants of the dish can be seen in this photo. We didn’t leave much.
We were serenaded as we ate by a guitar player/singer who was circulating. A very nice touch to the meal and O was especially impressed as she loves the movie Coco right now and practices on her Disney Princess guitar singing “Remember Me” quite often.
Our main courses came and we’re devoured before I had time to take a picture. R and i shared the carne asada which was excellent as usual and I had to order a side of the fried plantains to myself and had no trouble polishing them off.
The kids split the kids quesadilla meal and the portion size has always been so large that both children can eat their fill and there are still some pieces left for me to snack on at the end. This time I was able to dip the last couple of pieces into the sauce that came with our appetizer and it was a perfect pairing. For any cheese fans out there I would highly suggest ordering the kids meal quesadilla if you can! The cheese is so creamy I believe it may be Oaxaca cheese, which I have only had before when we were on the border of Mexico. Lucky for me they just started carrying it in our local grocery store so I am going to try and make some quesadillas with it at home.


Well-Known Member
Travel Day 5/7:
I am a big fan of early morning flights to Disney and hitting the ground running but R is much better with afternoon and evening flights so I decided on an after work/school flight. It was a bit of a tense night Monday packing up-there was some repacking of bags at the last minute after R pointed out that I had packed way too much (oops?).
Tuesday seemed to be the longest day ever at work. We have had bad luck traveling in the past which I have shared in previous TR and I get anxious that something will happen and we will miss our flight so I was on edge all day. I ended up calling it quits a few minutes early so I could have my last Dunkin Doughnuts coffee for a while-it’s a New England thing I guess.
After I got my caffeine fix I picked up O and Z from school. They were beyond excited for the trip and confirmed multiple times-yes were going to go home and change and then go to the airport.
View attachment 372955View attachment 372957
With a quick change while R loaded up the trunk, we made excellent time. We stopped for Firehouse Subs on the way to the airport (we don’t have one near us so it’s a special treat). The airport was a breeze, no line at the ticket counter and a quick trip through security so we made it to the gate with time to spare.
View attachment 372960
View attachment 372962
View attachment 372964
We were ready to leave the cold and rainy behind for a few days. We flew southwest and we scored A boarding so we had our choice of seats. The flight down was only 1/2 full so plenty of room to stretch out. Neither of the children slept on the plane which was surprising to me. They were content playing games on the tablets we brought for them so I was able to watch Aquaman on my tablet.

View attachment 372967View attachment 372968
Our flight landed a little early at around 10:05. Luckily I re-read our Magical Express paperwork and realized we would need to go to baggage claim to collect our luggage-Disney’s pickup service ends at 10:00pm. We were able to get it and get to the Magical Express area without too much hassle. We saw others there who ended up having to go back to baggage claim to collect their luggage because they didn’t read the fine print.
We were soon aboard a bus to POP Century. The driver listed the stops, Boardwalk then Carribbean Beach then POP. I told R to brace himself for a longer ride while the kids were entranced with the Goofy cartoons that were playing. They were both asleep by the time we reached the gates to WDW. I was refreshing the MDE app constantly hoping for a room ready text so we could avoid the front desk. We finally got the text at 10:45-building 9 in the 80s section on the 4th floor. To my surprise our bus soon pulled up to POP-I guess the bus driver had it backwards and we were the first stop. The kids woke up as we exited the bus and were so excited to be at POP century. We had the choice of bell services delivering our luggage later or just taking it ourselves and we decided to just bring it along.
When we reached our room, we got a green light :). I didn’t take pictures but here is one from online of what we were greeted with:View attachment 372970
I had a moment of panic that there was only one bed and I started to look up our reservation on my phone before my sense kicked in and I realized that the table was a Murphy bed. We turned it into its bed form and I went to town unpacking while the kids and R found some Disney cartoons on TV so they could unwind a bit. Once I was satisfied that we would have what we needed for the morning we turned off the tv and lights and said good night to Disney world.
YOu had me at Dunkin! as a northerner that now lives in the south... driving more than a mile for one is a travesty...


Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Day 5 Part 2 May 12:
When I planned our trip, I really wanted to see Pandora at night so I booked late afternoon FP for Animal Kingdom. By the time we made it to the DS bus stop we were less than 2 hours shy of our first FP window and we agreed to just go and get the FP done as quickly as possible. We considered a Minnie Van straight to the park until R reminded me that I had told him not to bring his and the kids magic bands...oops :/.
I thought we would be going towards the end of the FP window and that we would head to the room for a small break in between. That small break turned into arriving at AoA and me sprinting to the room, grabbing Magicbands and sprinting back to the waiting AK bus that R and the kids had gotten onto. They were the only ones on and asked the driver if she could wait for me, she said she could wait until another party showed up and luckily I snuck on while said party was folding up their stroller.
We were soon on our way to AK and I was drenched in sweat before even entering the park from my mini marathon (I never run so I was also sore :/). It didn’t make our experience there any better.
The first FP was split for R to ride FOP (I will need Dramamine to ride this one again) and for myself and the kids to ride Navi River Journey. I attempted to navigate through pandora using the MDE map but we got lost twice.

The kids loved Navi and I think the visuals were super cool. I get that this is just another Disney boat ride-but we like the boat rides :). R took quite a bit longer so we sought out some shade and a cool treat.
They loved the Night Blossom and shared a little with me. The “Pandora Rangers” (name I found in MDE to describe this-Sounds like power rangers to me) we’re performing and there were people crammed everywhere.
When R finally found us and we headed to our next FP, the crowds of people were even more prominent. I don’t know the specifics of AK but I have to assume that there aren’t enough attractions to absorb as many people and so many people are left to just sit and wait for their next FP. A lot of what makes AK special to me are the details but with people crammed into every crevice there is no way to enjoy the details.
We hopped on a safari ride with our next FP to escape the masses.D82419EA-1B1E-4080-93B7-80B193ECABA0.jpeg78FF375A-4A49-4711-B827-D2537F27797E.jpeg7669516B-9275-47E4-9274-E7BD95647F75.jpegD22535EB-5A47-4302-A538-578546A30DFF.jpeg029CBD11-88D5-460F-9BA2-CCC9F828C6B0.jpeg
The kids enjoyed the animals but we didn’t see any giraffes or lions so it was a little uneventful for me until....0BE6F855-B502-41B6-BFD0-8B32E6994420.jpeg
This guy camped out right in our path for what seemed like forever and finally moved to the side. Our driver was visibly worried as she called for some kind of backup. Another vehicle pulled up with what I assume was assistance and we were able to drive off. I know that many of the animals are spectated by optical illusions but if anyone can explain how they deal with the Rhinos I am really curious. This is the 2nd or 3rd time a Rhino has crossed the path of a safari I was on and every time I am pretty terrified something is going to happen.
Top Bottom