A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or how about how successfully Cathy Powell has brainwashed DLRP fans?

You are being too hard on Powell. I can tell you the CMs in Paris love her and strongly say she has made a positive difference.

I can also tell you that I rode on those Flying Carpets in January -- no waits for anything, which is how this Sprit likes it -- and it absolutely was ghetto. A quarter of the carpets were blocked off with tape. Many of them were missing controllers or knobs on them etc.

But the bottom line is this ride isn't a priority and can be fixed very easily.

Things like Phantom Manor, which won't likely open now until 2019, and the Mark Twain, which has been rotting being refurbed and returned (to service) are much, much more important. As is the job WDI did on Pirates there. The ride looks like the masterpiece it always was and wasn't ruined by the absurd PC'ing like the MK's was. (Seriously, they should just light Florida's on fire like what happened at Europa Park recently. The ride has been so ruined by change after change. It is so sad.)

The park/resort looks better with every visit. It has amazing CMs, no matter the BS you read online, and amazing entertainment and great food. I am very much looking forward to my next visit later this year.

smile

tenor.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
BRAINWASHED DLP FAN HERE! :D

One of the comments made last year on this site was that DLP had a long way to go before it was really up to par refurb wise. Even in my trip report, I used the word "ghetto" to describe the then-current state of the teacups.

However, the resort has not given up on refurbs yet. Off the top of my head, these are the things they've either started or finished in recent months:

Studio 1 (not far from Aladdin spinner)
Tower of Terror exterior
Phantom Manor
Last Chance Cafe
Chapparal Theatre (demo and rebuild)
Teacups (finally!)
Cool Ship
Casey's Corner
Walkway around Lake Disney

This does not include minor things I see on twitter like the painting of railings, or announced works like the return of the Mark Twain or the remodel of Hotel New York.

So are things perfect? No. Are they still getting better? Yes. I could easily point to the poor state of Toontown or the Castle at DLR to show that not all Disney resorts are in tip top shape (and that resort doesn't have the excuse of dealing with winters affecting outdoor rides).

Whether or not you think upcharge AP Euro-Blogger Foamhead Dessert Parties and Brand Events (Marvel, Pirates/Princesses) are good or bad is a separate discussion. Cathy Powell is obviously the face of the resort trying to put a positive spin on everything despite years of neglect and recent terrorist attacks harming the nation's tourism business. She does that job good enough IMO, though I'm skeptical of how much real influence she has over the resort's future.

I would also agree that general hours and service of the resort could also use improvements. Fast food at DLP is still anything but fast, if the restaurant is even open when you get there.

Great points all around.

But seeing too many American bloggers being flown in -- or just given media party invites -- to shill the place to their flocks now that Disney owns it outright.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That’s the problem here, she’s doing what was put in place by Burbank years ago. Some of it, like the refurbs, are good, but the other problems, like the second gate and the shift towards branding instead of substance, should give folks pause I don’t see in fan spaces. Take, guest experience for exampl. You mention the dining hours and it’s like, does anyone realize how inconvenient it is for guests to try and find a place to eat in the park? Do you really want to drive guests out to McDonalds, Earl and Five Guys for decent QSR? With the money going into reskins and clones for WDSP, where’s the money to expand DLP’s capacity and bring some of your most popular characters like Jungle Book and the Ducks into attractions and lands? (That last one is nuts, it’s like **** Nunis screaming for a flume ride obvious)

Cathy’s packed her bags for SoCal and the Burbank vision for resort will continue. Where are we going after all these refurbs and Brand projects? How will DLRP, now free from debt, develop the crucial skills it needs to advocate for its own self interest? I guess they’ll find someone Chapek likes and/or someone from Consumer Products to run the ship for a year or two.

The second gate is going to be so much better in the next decade. And its attraction and entertainment menu isn't bad now. It is FAR better than the Construction Site of the Star Wars Park and CosPlay Hotel (TPFKaTD-MGMS). You can spend a day there.

The operations issues do still exist and confound Guests. But if you go online before you visit, you can find out which QSRs will be open. It isn't the issue some think it is. So often, at the MK, it comes down to Pecos Bill's or nothing. So glass houses and all. And all of the QSRs you list in DV, along with Starbucks and Vapiano, can have their issues. That McD's, which I recently snacked at, is literally the worst one in any European country I have ever been because it needs twice the staffing it has. Sometimes, it can be quite good.

And while Jungle Book and the Ducks would make the Germans spit out their beer with excitement, they are just very unlikely to wind up in attractions, although you never know.

Again, DLP is finally being run largely in the right manner, with still loads of room for improvement.

But what is going on with SDL? ... How is it every Disney resort in the world has billions of dollars of projects flowing and there are absolutely none there. Oh, and don't mention TSL ... that was an opening day project that was pushed back due to all the construction delays they had. You may recall I had it on the menu that I posted here way back five years ago now.

And let's all sing Happy Birthday to SDL now!!! Two years of this place running ... amazing ...

brb1006

No. I don't tend to watch those types of things.

I did recently listen to two podcasts completely. One was the DIS and the other was by Tom InternationalParkless, but Way Kewl Uber Fanboi with $3,000 worth of Disney annual passes.

I will say that Tom's was the better of the two by quite a bit. But I will also say that both of them, more shocking for Pete and crew on the DIS Unplugged, simply were lacking in basic knowledge often. Again, I don't want to go soft on Tommy Boi, but he was talking about DLP a place that he just visited for the first time. You wouldn't expect him to know everything. But The DIS was all about WDW largely, with maybe a bit of DLR thrown in. I can't recall as I literally fell asleep in a thunder storm while listening. Basic facts and knowledge seemed to elude this group of what seemed like five dudes doing a show from Pete's house.

I don't have specifics because, frankly, it bored me to tears listening largely. But if this is what your livelihood is, then get your facts straight. Learn what it is you are ranting about because otherwise you just come off so poorly.

I did watch the above after seeing this post and these people are not totally unbearable. That said, the biggest mistake anyone can make at TDL is eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace, the worst dining locale at the resort. I made that mistake my first visit. Disney Blogger to the Stars, Tom Bricker, didn't listen to me (well, he did, but his goal is to dine at every Disney dining locale on the planet) and found it to be as bad or worse as I said. Don't know why people eat there ...

BTW, way kewl news on TDR expansion. Now, we know exactly why the Frozen/Scandinavian port was pushed back!
I'm still curious on the Peter Pan announcement as part of the TDR expansion. Especially since this version will be unique to Tokyo.

Last edited:

smile

light Florida's on fire like what happened at Europa Park recently

lol...
but sad - glad all were alright, sans pirates

The ride has been so ruined by change after change. It is so sad

totally...
even if it was the worst, it's getting worser - inappropriate and unfortunate

interesting case on the effects of nostalgia for an attraction which has changed almost completely, however

Rteetz

But The DIS was all about WDW largely, with maybe a bit of DLR thrown in. I can't recall as I literally fell asleep in a thunder storm while listening. Basic facts and knowledge seemed to elude this group of what seemed like five dudes doing a show from Pete's house.
The DIS has several podcasts. One focuses on WDW, another on DLR, another on history, another on dining, another on Dining, and another on Disney/Universal travel.

Disney Analyst

Thanks for asking. The absolute only time I strongly felt like dropping in before now was when this was announced. DLP is now one of my two home resorts (that means I exist in two places!) I have watched it bottom out around 2011-12 when Disney starved it in order to force a takeover that was likely in Bob Iger's mind as soon as he decided against selling all or part of the P&R unit. I have watched it steadily get better and better and better ...

This is the first ever major project under Bob Iger (well, second if you count the DCA 2.0, but now he's ruining all of that with DCA 3.0) in P&R that I really, really can find no fault with.

Taking Marvel, Star Wars and Frozen, all rumoured and considered at one time for Parc Disneyland and adding them to WDSP is just great all around. You don't ruin an amazing castle park. And you make the second gate a terrific place.

Now, some of this isn't going to be as wow inspiring as the announcement. My gut tells me Paris and HK will share a Frozen attraction that won't compare to the one just announced for Tokyo (and looks like next up for Anaheim and ... oops, I forgot, no news dropping here). It still won't suck as much as the EPCOT misplaced ... sadly misplaced ... ride. Early word on SW says only one of the DL/WDW attractions gets duplicated here and one becomes a walk thru. And Marvel starts with simply a reskinned RnRC (something I first told you was being planned around Spidey, because it was, a few years ago) and doesn't destroy another ToT.

But still you will also have a major Marvel attraction added ... another version of the spinner from DHS's TSL (I can't use AS$ as that has always stood for All Star Sports) ... a lake that is desperately needed and will host a night spectacular.

And that doesn't count the redo of Disney Village, which needs it, or the major attraction coming to the castle park ... or the night show they are planning for Lake Disney ... or the redoing of hotels (although I admit to being very worried about the DLH ... didn't like the use of the word 'universe' in the press releases).

In other words, the future is very bright for DLP as it enters its 26th year ... and, for once, they appear to be doing things mostly right. For the record, I have never liked the Studio conceit if true filming isn't happening. But if that is what WDSP is, then throwing all this IP into it is a great move.

I will also remind you Avatar was supposed to be going here too ...

Umm, that didn’t slide past me. What’s happening at Disneyland? I need the Disneyland tea. What is marvel land going to consist of, and what about frozen? Is this finally the end of toontown?

trainplane3

Thanks for asking. The absolute only time I strongly felt like dropping in before now was when this was announced. DLP is now one of my two home resorts (that means I exist in two places!) I have watched it bottom out around 2011-12 when Disney starved it in order to force a takeover that was likely in Bob Iger's mind as soon as he decided against selling all or part of the P&R unit. I have watched it steadily get better and better and better ...

This is the first ever major project under Bob Iger (well, second if you count the DCA 2.0, but now he's ruining all of that with DCA 3.0) in P&R that I really, really can find no fault with.

Taking Marvel, Star Wars and Frozen, all rumoured and considered at one time for Parc Disneyland and adding them to WDSP is just great all around. You don't ruin an amazing castle park. And you make the second gate a terrific place.

Now, some of this isn't going to be as wow inspiring as the announcement. My gut tells me Paris and HK will share a Frozen attraction that won't compare to the one just announced for Tokyo (and looks like next up for Anaheim and ... oops, I forgot, no news dropping here). It still won't suck as much as the EPCOT misplaced ... sadly misplaced ... ride. Early word on SW says only one of the DL/WDW attractions gets duplicated here and one becomes a walk thru. And Marvel starts with simply a reskinned RnRC (something I first told you was being planned around Spidey, because it was, a few years ago) and doesn't destroy another ToT.

But still you will also have a major Marvel attraction added ... another version of the spinner from DHS's TSL (I can't use AS$ as that has always stood for All Star Sports) ... a lake that is desperately needed and will host a night spectacular.

And that doesn't count the redo of Disney Village, which needs it, or the major attraction coming to the castle park ... or the night show they are planning for Lake Disney ... or the redoing of hotels (although I admit to being very worried about the DLH ... didn't like the use of the word 'universe' in the press releases).

In other words, the future is very bright for DLP as it enters its 26th year ... and, for once, they appear to be doing things mostly right. For the record, I have never liked the Studio conceit if true filming isn't happening. But if that is what WDSP is, then throwing all this IP into it is a great move.

I will also remind you Avatar was supposed to be going here too ...
That Epcot remark got my attention. When you say suck, are you only implying the poor placement or the fact the ride in general just won't be very "wowing".

MerlinTheGoat

@WDW1974

I haven't been to Disneyland Paris since the early-mid 90s. Back then their Pirates of the Caribbean was still in its original "politically incorrect" form. Fantastic version of the ride btw. Those scenes never offended me, and I feel there weren't many other people (if any) who were screaming about this either even in this hyper-PC atmosphere we're in right now. But especially in France, the people in general don't seem as prone to getting upset with that type of humor.

So you'll have to forgive my lack of recent first-hand experience with the Paris version and the changes made last year. But I was under the impression the changes made to the "problematic" scenes in Paris were similar to WDW's and Disneyland's. Both versions of the Bride Auction appear to have been redone in a similar manner. The following scene with the naked girl in the barrel was also switched out with Jack Sparrow, DL and WDW have had that for over a decade now. Same I believe with the pirates chasing the women around the balcony.

So what was it about the alterations you found so horrible in WDW, but are satisfied with and even happy about in Paris? It seems like it got a similar level of political correction as the US versions...

Last edited:

HMF

@WDW1974

I haven't been to Disneyland Paris since the early-mid 90s. Back then their Pirates of the Caribbean was still in its original "politically incorrect" form. Fantastic version of the ride btw. Those scenes never offended me, and I feel there weren't many other people (if any) who were screaming about this either even in this hyper-PC atmosphere we're in right now. But especially in France, the people in general don't seem as prone to getting upset with that type of humor.

So you'll have to forgive my lack of recent first-hand experience with the Paris version and the changes made last year. But I was under the impression the changes made to the "offensive" scenes in Paris were similar to WDW's and Disneyland's. Both versions of the Bride Auction appear to have been redone in a similar manner. The following scene with the girl in the barrel was also finally switched out with Jack Sparrow, making it the same as the US versions. Same I believe with the pirates chasing the women around the balcony.

So what was it about the alterations you found so horrible in WDW, but are satisfied with and even happy about in Paris? It seems like it got a similar level of political correctness as the US versions...
Not to mention they kind of messed up the moral by putting Sparrow in the Treasure Cave. Incidentally , I wrote an article with my take on the changes.
https://wander.media/pirates-of-the...515.334874010.1528694234-249152731.1508353791

FigmentJedi

And while Jungle Book and the Ducks would make the Germans spit out their beer with excitement, they are just very unlikely to wind up in attractions, although you never know.
Ducks are more of "Europe in general" thing, especially Italy and the Scandinavian countries. "From All of Us to All of You" still runs every Christmas with new content in Sweden, Duck comics are the biggest comic book draws in Europe period, that concept album based on Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck was a chart-topper over there, and it goes on and on.

the.dreamfinder

Ducks are more of "Europe in general" thing, especially Italy and the Scandinavian countries. "From All of Us to All of You" still runs every Christmas with new content in Sweden, Duck comics are the biggest comic book draws in Europe period, that concept album based on Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck was a chart-topper over there, and it goes on and on.
The ducks are a mini MCU in waiting if they chose to pursue it.

Also, the problem, which I’ll write about later, is something Empress Lilly brought up in the past, Burbank and WDI don’t appreciate what other markets relate to or want because they think what the Americans want is what everyone else wants.

flyerjab

Just placing this general observation here in the Spirited zombie thread - by which I mean that in his absence this thread never died. 😉

Anyway, my family has been vacationing in WDW regularly over the last 7 years, at all times of the year. This is probably the first June trip we have taken where we were walking from Soarin back to watch Illuminations, looked around and then at each other and the wife decried “this park is dead!” Now of course she did not mean to imply that in a figurative sense, but rather in the literal, speaking to the evident fact that there were no crowds in Epcot...anywhere. The Soarin ride we just got exited we did standby...on a Saturday...and the posted wait time was 30 minutes...and it wasn’t even that long.

I know that somewhere in these nonsensical tomes where we passionately devote our excesses of time either disavowing or defending the direction the Bobs are taking us, it was stated that park attendance was down. I am not aware if that was simply anecdotal opinion or if said poster had inside connections. That being said, my observations of one Saturday night in June would support that sentiment. Epcot was so empty that we could have done standby for any ride and the wait, I guarantee, would have been shorter than the already short-posted wait time.

My question is why? If this has already been answered elsewhere I apologize. I was just curious if it is due to construction - because it is evident everywhere - or pricing, or competition, or if this is the calm before the 2019 storm. I would love to here some opinion.

Rodan75

Just placing this general observation here in the Spirited zombie thread - by which I mean that in his absence this thread never died. 😉

Anyway, my family has been vacationing in WDW regularly over the last 7 years, at all times of the year. This is probably the first June trip we have taken where we were walking from Soarin back to watch Illuminations, looked around and then at each other and the wife decried “this park is dead!” Now of course she did not mean to imply that in a figurative sense, but rather in the literal, speaking to the evident fact that there were no crowds in Epcot...anywhere. The Soarin ride we just got exited we did standby...on a Saturday...and the posted wait time was 30 minutes...and it wasn’t even that long.

I know that somewhere in these nonsensical tomes where we passionately devote our excesses of time either disavowing or defending the direction the Bobs are taking us, it was stated that park attendance was down. I am not aware if that was simply anecdotal opinion or if said poster had inside connections. That being said, my observations of one Saturday night in June would support that sentiment. Epcot was so empty that we could have done standby for any ride and the wait, I guarantee, would have been shorter than the already short-posted wait time.

My question is why? If this has already been answered elsewhere I apologize. I was just curious if it is due to construction - because it is evident everywhere - or pricing, or competition, or if this is the calm before the 2019 storm. I would love to here some opinion.

Anecdotally we spent all of 8 hours in total at Epcot and DHS combined over Mem Day week this year. We spent our time at DAK, MK and Disney Springs. Epcot just feels sad to me, and really didn’t warrant our precious vacation time. DHS was busier than expected for being a half park right now.

I still feel like Disney Springs is stealing some of Epcot’s attendance. It became too much of a giant bar/restaurant vs a Theme Park, and now it is paying the price. GOTG and Rat can’t happen soon enough, but those still feel like half measures.

flyerjab

Anecdotally we spent all of 8 hours in total at Epcot and DHS combined over Mem Day week this year. We spent our time at DAK, MK and Disney Springs. Epcot just feels sad to me, and really didn’t warrant our precious vacation time. DHS was busier than expected for being a half park right now.

I still feel like Disney Springs is stealing some of Epcot’s attendance. It became too much of a giant bar/restaurant vs a Theme Park, and now it is paying the price. GOTG and Rat can’t happen soon enough, but those still feel like half measures.

That is a very salient point. For those park goers looking to spend an evening eating and drinking, Disney Springs now provides that in spades. And I also agree that Epcot is in a bit of a malaise at the moment. But there is definitely a change in the air.

Princess Leia

Not to go into too much detail here (since there are 2 other threads for Incredibles 2), but Incredibles 2 made an estimated $180 million this weekend, making it the 8th largest opening weekend at the domestic box office, and the largest opening weekend for an animated movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom