A sequel? Nah, not this one

deWild

It is not shoehorned in at Disneyland. While it is in critter country, it sits next to The Haunted Mansion, which is part of New Orleans Square. They are just expanding New Orleans square to include Splash, which does make Pooh stand out as out of place as the only remaining attraction in Critter Country along with Hungry Bear quick service.
I would expect Disney to craft some type of New Orleans Square for WDW after they reimagine Splash. The problem would be continuity between BTMRR and the rest of Frontierland.

yensidtlaw1969

Been wondering what would be worthwhile to post about as the "thing" I keep hearing about is not ready for public consumption. Having said that, here are some thoughts.

Disney can brag about how much debt cash they raised but the FY21 budgets reflect realism. A lot of low level and mid sized park projects are being crammed into the schedule just so they can use every scrap of cash left this year. It will not be available next year.

China market and Mulan issues are interesting and loop back to rumors about drama at the Chinese parks. Shoulda seen all this coming.

The Guardians ride at Epcot cost $450 million. I am not messing with you all.

There was a huge $200 million plus tower coming to Polynesian before the economy imploded. Now we just get Moana rooms.

Epcot.... that's why I really came on here to post. That park is in serious trouble. The overall low attendance and park hours cuts have been talked to death. What doesn't seem to be discussed too much is how the loss of private events hurts. One medium sized event at Epcot paid for nearly a week's worth of Illuminations shows. This is a fall and winter season where that revenue is knee capped. The forward looking business on this front is not that great. So much so that the whole dinner table looking thing seems "off the table." The point of it was to massively increase event space and revenue ops.

Disney really backed themselves into a corner with the near term operations at Epcot. The new Ratatouille ride seems like its not opening until mid 2021. Word is Burbank wants all parks projects held off until 2021. They think a more appropriate time to bundle and market everything will arise then.

Layoffs.... we all see what is in front of us. Cast member food banks are a depressing sight to see. There are a lot of people to blame for that. Disney being near the bottom given the park closures. Does it even need to be formally called "layoffs" anymore? Furloughed indefinitely seems like a future that's equally as insecure.
BTW, have we ever gotten word in this thread about what this supposed "thing" was from the first post? I've been keeping up with posts but still seem to be in the dark.

Brer Oswald

I would expect Disney to craft some type of New Orleans Square for WDW after they reimagine Splash. The problem would be continuity between BTMRR and the rest of Frontierland.
As previously stated in this thread, it’s up for debate if Florida’s retheme will be PatF. It “may” be something else if they want to share costs with Tokyo. Or it “may” still be PatF, if they’re willing to leave Tokyo as is and develop a “separate” PatF attraction from DL.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm still down to shepherd my idea for redressing the area outside the WDWRR Track into reality if Disney wants to hire me to do it . . . I'm available!

My sketch:
1601315459861.png

TrainsOfDisney

Correct. The only thing that's different is what you're looking at while riding along.

There is also an extra scene.

I do wish they would have made the let it go moment truly show stopping instead of putting up paintings of snowflakes. If you reversed into an actual snowstorm with crazy fog and lighting effects i would even say the ride was considerably better.

doctornick

You joke, but people on Twitter were unironically trying to make this an actual point.

Well, there's a lot of people - generally not those who frequent or prefer Disney or other theme parks - who are of the mind that the main defining quality of a "ride" is the type and characteristics of the conveyance. Such that any slow boat ride is "the same" and that the scenery, sounds, ambiance, theme is a minimal component to the ride. It seems baffling to most of us, but there are definitely people who feel that way.

yensidtlaw1969

Well, isn't is common to regard all spinners as just spinners?

;)
That's a little different, because in that case the ride system practically IS the show. Though I would argue that even then that the historic outsized popularity of Dumbo was caused by its especially fun Ride Vehicles and view of Cinderella Castle. The ride hasn't hit the same way with guests since moving back behind Storybook Circus. People still enjoy it, but without the great view of the Castle demand has dropped considerably, even beyond the impact from doubling capacity.

It's fair to say that The Astro Orbitor similarly gains "show" points by being placed so high over Tomorrowland.

There are reasons Magic Carpets is third on everyone's list in terms of MK Spinners, and it ain't cause they spin different.

Brer Oswald

Well, there's a lot of people - generally not those who frequent or prefer Disney or other theme parks - who are of the mind that the main defining quality of a "ride" is the type and characteristics of the conveyance. Such that any slow boat ride is "the same" and that the scenery, sounds, ambiance, theme is a minimal component to the ride. It seems baffling to most of us, but there are definitely people who feel that way.
Very true. That was mostly the case. Although some “Disney Theme Park fans” were also spouting out similar sentiments.

rreading

That's a little different, because in that case the ride system practically IS the show. Though I would argue that even then that the historic outsized popularity of Dumbo was caused by its especially fun Ride Vehicles and view of Cinderella Castle. The ride hasn't hit the same way with guests since moving back behind Storybook Circus. People still enjoy it, but without the great view of the Castle demand has dropped considerably, even beyond the impact from doubling capacity.

It's fair to say that The Astro Orbitor similarly gains "show" points by being placed so high over Tomorrowland.

There are reasons Magic Carpets is third on everyone's list in terms of MK Spinners, and it ain't cause they spin different.

iirc, we used to be able to get Magic Carpets to bounce in a special way, which was always enjoyable. The camel spitting gives a little extra dimension which was fun when the kids were little. I wish I could experience/remember what Adventureland was like prior to Aladdin but my memory is not that great and it had been too long

Jrb1979

It is not shoehorned in at Disneyland. While it is in critter country, it sits next to The Haunted Mansion, which is part of New Orleans Square. They are just expanding New Orleans square to include Splash, which does make Pooh stand out as out of place as the only remaining attraction in Critter Country along with Hungry Bear quick service.
At Disney world it is. You have all of Frontierland then a Louisiana ride followed by Big Thunder Mountain.

DCLcruiser

Actually, go to a fest in Bavaria or Austria, and you'll see plenty of people wearing the traditional garb ("Tracht") without ironic intent. Young people in particular seem to enjoy the chance to dress up.

And their outfits are usually much nicer than the mass-produced stuff Disney cast members wear.
This is very true. I went to Austria and Munich and was happy to see a lot of 20 y/o's in tracht and dirndl on a Friday after work for parties (not even a fest). They get into it.

I was going to buy a trachten janker (jacket) at Loden Frey but EUR 500+ was pushing it for something that would rarely be worn.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom