A resort built around the exsisting monorail... possible?

disneydudette

Original Poster
Theres numerous discussions about monorails out there, but I couldn't find one that tailored to my questions. With that in mind... I'm well aware of the "costs" and "conditions" that fuel monorail arguements but with all those aspects pushed aside, I'm just looking for some insight rather than responses that are similar to "If could happen if Disney could afford it... the monorail is stupid... arg another monorail discussion..."

I came across this picture on Disneypix.com

DPR0581-08.jpg

I guess my questions are this...

Is there any room left on the existing MK monorail loop to feature another resort? I know it's pretty tight as is, but was just curious "if" Disney could potentially construct another monorail resort if desired.

If you notice the above map, there appeared to be a "hope" of a resort on the Northwest side of Bay Lake to the right of the MK. Is this still possible? Is there a switch in place for a single track to connect to the loop in that format?

Could Disney potentially construct resorts along the track of the monorail that runs from the TTC to Epcot? I don't remember if that track runs the entire way along highway-like roads or not...

Would Disney ever extend the seven seas lagoon format into bay lake? As in, create a monorail loop around bay lake with resorts similar to the Seven Seas Lagoon?

I know a huge aspect of my question include financial and resort demand... but putting those aside... is this something possible? If so would it work and be beneficial?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes and no.

The Venitian / Med plot is unbuilt on (7 Seas East) - at least one version of the Med place its station on the existing T&TC-Con straightway. However, as discussed elsewhere, it is likely nothing will be built there (unless it can levitate)

The Persian plot (Bay Lake North West) is now the boneyard and storage - and very close to the North service area and dry dock. The Persian was to have the main monorail route diverted via its station between the Con and the MK - with a station in Tomorrowland and a track either around the hub or through Tland depending which plan you look at. The map above shows a spur - possibly the maintainence spur - feeding the monorail to the resort, though this was never really planned, and would be neigh on impossible to implement today.

Personally, I believe the most likely addition to the current track would be a resort north east of the World Drive auto plaza on the Epcot spur - do a search for World Drive DVC for reasons and maps why.

scottnj1966

It has been said that the land south of the contemporary is to soft and the footers would have to be shot into the ground to deep. A resort was planned a few years back and that land survey stopped it cold.

The switch you mention takes the monorails to the barn or roundhouse, whatever you like to call it. With the new timeshare being built next to the contemporary they will most likely use more of the land to the north for parking. That does not leave to much room even if they do move the boneyard. It would be difficult to hide a new resort from seeing all the warehouse buildings back there. Take a drive back there and you will see so many support buildings that do not look anything like a disney park or resort.

Now all that being said when Disney is ready to spend some money they would find a way. You can de-muck just about any property if you really wanted it. I would say the land between the mk and the grand floridian would be a good place to do it. This gives them a monorail stop at a resort and also walking distance to the mk like the contemporary. The walk around the world was almost completed so putting a resort there would finally add that bridge that i needed.

I for one would love to see another resort added to the monorail line. They can easily add resorts somewhere alone the epcot line also. Not sure why that has never been done.

cooleo

I think they should drive pilings into the lake bed & build the Venetian out over the water to make it like being in Venice, Italy. They could have the Main Bldg/ Registration next to the Monorail Line with a platform. After all, Disney is all about "MAGIC".:cool:

head mouse

1) Anything that requires new monorail beam to be installed will not happen.

2) There is enough room for another resort on the existing resort loop.

3) See THIS VIDEO for the new plans already in motion.

cloudboy

...it is likely nothing will be built there (unless it can levitate)

Levitation DOES bring up some pretty cool ideas for a hotel. But maybe float will also work, and that could be easier and a lot cheaper. Instead of finding ways to make the ground more solid, perhaps they should dig away what is there and make more water space for a floating type hotel.

Mickeyman116

dont shoot me if im wrong about the hotel, but i could have SWORN i overheard someone on a disney bus recently talking to someone and said that he was talking to a cast member and he said that there is a perfect section of one of the floor is the dolphin or the swan (i THINK those were the resorts....im not sure) that they could cut out and use as a place where the monorail and go in and out. Just something i heard!

WDWFanatic

I dont see any new monorail hotels anywhere in the near future. I agree with marni that an epcot resort would be the only possible to happen but thats a far off dream. So many cool ideas for hotels back then. I have all the project florida papers that gave descriptions of those hotels, to bad they couldnt all happen.
I think the saratoga was a total waste.

I highly doubt disney would do anything to the swann or dolphin when they arent totally disney resorts

Champion

dont shoot me if im wrong about the hotel, but i could have SWORN i overheard someone on a disney bus recently talking to someone and said that he was talking to a cast member and he said that there is a perfect section of one of the floor is the dolphin or the swan (i THINK those were the resorts....im not sure) that they could cut out and use as a place where the monorail and go in and out. Just something i heard!

That rumor is as old as those hotels, and isn't true.

I dont see any new monorail hotels anywhere in the near future. I agree with marni that an epcot resort would be the only possible to happen but thats a far off dream. So many cool ideas for hotels back then. I have all the project florida papers that gave descriptions of those hotels, to bad they couldnt all happen.
I think the saratoga was a total waste.

Well technically, Contemp DVC is a new monorail resort.

Saratoga was a waste? Tell that to the thousands of DVC owners that love it.

JML42691

The rumor about the monorail is one of the oldest rumors around. If I remember correctly a train would not be able to stop in either of the buildings as the trains are too long, the spot that the train would go through is the black square the you see on each building. That spot is too high for concrete supports and most likely require many massivly high supports around the resorts. An evac in the areas between the hotels would be near impossible as that height is too high for the traditional evac procedures. The height of the track nearly pushes its limit at the contemporary right now and that about a 1/3 to a 1/2 the size of the "black square" on the swan & dolphin. So not really possible.

head mouse

The original design was to put it on the monorail line, but it was moved and so the design was changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom