A question for resort guests

rosebud's mom

I'm beginning to make a rough plan for what we're doing on which day for our trip in December. We're driving down, so will of course have our car.

I was curious..... of those of you who have cars while staying in the resorts -

do you avoid the busses and drive yourself ? The unofficial tour guides seem to reccommend this, especially when going to different resorts for meals. Is there separate parking areas for resort guests at the parks, or are you in the general lots just without paying the fee ?

thanks for your help !

tigsmom

We usually drive so we have our car available. We usually rely on WDW transportation except when we are staying out very late (we hate fighting for that last bus or boat), going to play mini golf because we wander around afterward or are just going to a resort for dinner.
Just tell the guard at the gate you are there for dinner; some people have said they were given parking time limits, but we have never run across that.

You get free parking in the lots, but not a separate section...you are mixed in with everyone else. Make sure you have you resort parking pass on the dashboard. :wave:

Upvote 0

Kadee

We always drive being only 6 or so hours away. But rarely use it after we get there unless we are going to Universal or Sea World. (Or to eat at Tony Roma's...they closed ours here and we LOVE that restaurant) We prefer the buses for several reasons.

1. They drop you off at the front of the park (even the MK...you don't have to take the ferry or monorail) and you don't have to run like a mad person to catch the tram that is waiting ..or worse yet...pulling away.

2. YOU don't have to fight the traffic; the bus drivers do and they are used to it and know where they are going.

3. You don't have to get into a hot car at the end of a very tiring day.

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

We always drive up. But never use our car once we are there. We check in on it from time to time, just in case. (not like we are really worried) Never had a problem with tranportation, but then again we always go during value season.

Upvote 0

brisem

We usually drive. Most of the time, we arrive and done get back in the van until it's time to leave. We like the buses and monorail.

Upvote 0

Jekyll Baker

For me, it just depends on what I'm doing. I'll usually depend on WDW transportation. But I'll drive my car to a park if I'm planning on staying late (like for Wishes, Fantasmic, etc) or when I've already checked out of my hotel and go to a park - that way I just leave for home straight from the park.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

We almost always drive to WDW. Thereafter, we usually take Disney transportation. We did so more during our last stay at the WL in July than we did the previous year at All-Stars(we drove a good bit from here).
I've also driven from WL because of the long routes from WL through Ft. Wilderness complicated bus loading area and then on a tour of the world to get to places like Animal Kingdom or Blizzard Beach.
But generally, we find Disney transportation beats the hassle of driving, parking, catching the tram, etc.
And as has been mentioned above, there is no special section in them park lots for resort guests.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I used to live in Ormond Beach, and whenever I stayed on site I never went back to the car until I was headed home. However, the last time I stayed was shortly after MGM opened. I didn't know if the addition of Animal Kingdom and all the new resorts was slowing park transportation down significantly or not. the Unofficial Guide really stresses driving your own car, unless you are in one of the monorail resorts. I figured I'd get a more honest opinion from this forum !

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Unless the park is walkable or accessible via monorail, we drive ourselves. According to the Unofficial Guide, taking your own car is faster in most cases. I am fanatical about saving time. Also, we will occasionally go offsite for lunch or shopping after visiting a park, and we don't want to have to go back to the resort.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

Original Poster
We will probably do a little more using our own car than I normally would this time, because we're vacationing the same week as the Pop Warner kids.:hammer:

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

We always drive up, being about 4 hours away. Only once in the past few years did we rely on the bus. Otherwise, we always use our car. We just like to use our car because it gives us more freedom. On days where we go to the MK, we like to drive especially because we like the tram rides and the monorail/ferry rides. Call us crazy, but for us that is all part of the trip and we like to soak it all in :lol:. And the one time we did use the bus, the ride back wasn't exactly fun, so that turned us off. We may try using it again though on our next trip. All depends on the mood we're in and where we're going.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
Usually the only time we use the car is, as another poster said, when we go to play mini-golf or when just cruising around on our first day. I would not agree that you save time driving to the MK. The bus leaves you right at the front. If you drive, you have to fight the crowds at the toll plaza, be directed to the lot, park, walk to the tram, wait for a tram as this one is already full, fight the crowds running to buy their tickets at TTC, walk to and wait for either the monorail or the ferry just to get you to where the side where the buses are. Not a time saver in my opinion.

When we resort hop, it's usually after a day at the park so we'll travel by easiest means (walk to Contemporary from MK, walk/boat from MGM to Boardwalk, take bus from AK to AKLodge, etc. Then when we're done resort hopping, we take the bus to Downtown Disney, do some shopping/get an icecream/have dinner and then catch a bus back to our resort (POP is next!). (Actually had a great bus driver who pulled up while waiting for the bus from Contemporary to DtD to POP, took us directly to POP!)

Upvote 0
rosebud's mom said:
I'm beginning to make a rough plan for what we're doing on which day for our trip in December. We're driving down, so will of course have our car.

I was curious..... of those of you who have cars while staying in the resorts -

do you avoid the busses and drive yourself ? The unofficial tour guides seem to reccommend this, especially when going to different resorts for meals. Is there separate parking areas for resort guests at the parks, or are you in the general lots just without paying the fee ?

thanks for your help !
The only time that we drive is when we are going to a different resort for dinner. Otherwise, it is easier to use Disney transportation although it's slower than driving.

You are in the same general lot but you don't pay.

Have fun!

Upvote 0
What is the latest the Disney transportation bus will pick you up from the parks, or DTD? I'm going to Cirque Du Soleil at 9 PM and Fantasmic ofcourse...So I was just wondering...I know the bus takes guests directly from the GF to DTD after 4 PM...But I wasn't sure about pick-up...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

shelty66

Here's the real deal. Unless you are staying in a monorail resort take your car. The best way is to go to Epcot is to go on 9am opening. Before Epcot go to MGM which opened at 8am for resort guests & go on TOT Twice. Get your hand stamped, drive to Epcot. You will be at the front of the line when Epcot opens. MK I like breakfast before. Two choices Proyarity Seating for 7:30am at Mickeys Character Breakfast at the Contemporary and walk or take the monorail to MK for 9am opening. Trail's End at Fort Wilderness. Opens at 7:30am. This is the best! Park in old River Country parking. Take bus to Trails End. This is the same way to get to Hoptidoo. Ask for Ken as your server. Take the 1st boat ride to MK. Get in line early!!! Take your coffee down by the tables at the dock. For going to other hotels. Every hotel has security. Make sure you keep Parking Pass on dash. Some hotels give a slip with a 4Hr time limit. During 4th of July you need a PS to park at Poly. Some as for a Drivers licence. AKL used to, now SSR does. I have always gone in to look at other resorts

Upvote 0

Sloan

we use our car

Even though we always stay on property and have the WDW transportation available, we always take our car to the parks. I think part of it is an aversion to the bus. There's also the advantage of having the car at the park - we can leave ponchos, sweaters, etc.. in the car rather than lug them around all day - this way, we can travel very lite, and if the need arises, just dash out to the car.

Kadee said something about not having to go out and get in a hot car - well, after a long, tiring day, I'd rather be getting back in my own car and know I'm just minutes from being back in the room than to wait for a bus, perhaps have standing room only, and then possibly have a long ride back - but that's just me. As for traffic/getting lost, I've not had much traffic trouble, there are great maps available, and after this many trips, I know it like my own neighborhood - which I guess it sort of is now!

Upvote 0

RICK8868

I have been to Disney many times, both with a car and without. Taking your car to the parks is not a bad idea. When you decide to leave you won't have to worry about waitng for the bus, which can be a hassle. But I would say alot depends on which resort you are staying at. If you are staying at the value, moderate, or Animal Kingdom/Wilderness Lodge then your car will be a big help as you are more isolated than you are if you stay at one of the Monorail or Boardwalk area resorts. Having a car going resort hopping or going to a resort for a meal is a big help. Because there are is no way to get from one resort to another without taking a tour of the property:hammer: It took an hour to get from Beach Club to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner when I was there at the begining of the month. The only park you may want to use the bus for is the Magic Kingdom. It is a hassle to get back to your car during park closing. At check in they will ask you if you have a car and give you a piece of paper to put on your dashboard. You wont have to pay for parking at the parks, but you probably will get a 2 or 4 hr parking pass for other resorts you may visit. sorry so long I hope this helps a little. Enjoy your trip!!!!!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

fjm777 said:
Everytime we have gone we parked the car at the resort and never touched it again.

Ditto for us! It is a part of the relaxation and getting away to know that neither me or my husband will be driving until we are leaving. It feels weird when we finally do get back in the vehicle after not for a week...but I love getting a break from driving.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom