A possibile redo with the SSE screens?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Of course it has more potential, but I challenge you to find any attraction that cannot be perfected.

It is what it is, and barring another 6 month closure real soon, the track and descent will not change dramatically, and I'm okay with that. It's not the end of the world for me and it most definitley isn't SGE, JIYIWF, or Tiki Room UNM. The majority of the ride is absolutely wonderful, and the ending is good enough for me and most of the people I've overheard...I don't make this stuff up.

The EPCOT that I know is about optimism towards the future, not being afraid of change, and if you can dream it, you can do it...that's also what I try to model my life after. Over the past few days, I have read nothing but negativity, pessimism, you name it from EPCOT "fans". This may not be the ideal SSE refurb that you envisioned, but it's what Imagineering, Siemens, and Disney did envision. Sure it's not perfect, nothing on Earth is, but you can make the most out of what you have. The first 2/3 of the attraction are spot-on amazing...after that, go ahead and take your nap, spend "quality time" with someone you love, or lord forbid, actually try to enjoy the touchscreen in front of you for the 5 minutes it takes to get back to Earth and enjoy the pretty music.

This is America, so you are free to judge an attraction from previews and youtube videos, but let's wait till February to damn it/WDI to hell. I truly hope that everything works to perfection when TSM opens next spring when Merf and Co. ride...

SSE is not the worst attraction at WDW, nor is it the best, but it is pretty damn cool. And I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to ride it before my experience here ends in January.

Perhaps I'm just weird, but I prefer to look at the bright side of things, especially when experiencing new attractions. I can't imagine how dreadful it must be to go through life looking for things to go wrong.

"Like a grand and miraculous Spaceship"..."so are the days of our lives"...
i agree with 99% of what you said. it is just frustrating when an attraction that deals with communication and technology has a lame out dated touch screen and splash screen. if there is much more to come that is great... and why i dont understand soft openings since they arent complete.

Is it not possible to hope for more in the descent without disowning the ride? :shrug:
i think so.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yes...but alot of people sure have been disowning it JUST because of the ending...hence my views towards this whole silly affair...

:lol:
as i stated a view days ago why someone said all of WDI that worked on the project should be fired.... come on, we dont know the whole story and what the budget or influence that Siemens has and their design team.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
...hence my views towards this whole silly affair...:lol:

Could be worse....
truesmokelg.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RWilliams

Premium Member
Of course it has more potential, but I challenge you to find any attraction that cannot be perfected.

It is what it is, and barring another 6 month closure real soon, the track and descent will not change dramatically, and I'm okay with that. It's not the end of the world for me and it most definitley isn't SGE, JIYIWF, or Tiki Room UNM. The majority of the ride is absolutely wonderful, and the ending is good enough for me and most of the people I've overheard...I don't make this stuff up.

The EPCOT that I know is about optimism towards the future, not being afraid of change, and if you can dream it, you can do it...that's also what I try to model my life after. Over the past few days, I have read nothing but negativity, pessimism, you name it from EPCOT "fans". This may not be the ideal SSE refurb that you envisioned, but it's what Imagineering, Siemens, and Disney did envision. Sure it's not perfect, nothing on Earth is, but you can make the most out of what you have. The first 2/3 of the attraction are spot-on amazing...after that, go ahead and take your nap, spend "quality time" with someone you love, or lord forbid, actually try to enjoy the touchscreen in front of you for the 5 minutes it takes to get back to Earth and enjoy the pretty music.

This is America, so you are free to judge an attraction from previews and youtube videos, but let's wait till February to damn it/WDI to hell. I truly hope that everything works to perfection when TSM opens next spring when Merf and Co. ride...

SSE is not the worst attraction at WDW, nor is it the best, but it is pretty damn cool. And I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to ride it before my experience here ends in January.

Perhaps I'm just weird, but I prefer to look at the bright side of things, especially when experiencing new attractions. I can't imagine how dreadful it must be to go through life looking for things to go wrong.

"Like a grand and miraculous Spaceship"..."so are the days of our lives"...

I'm glad that you like Spaceship Earth the way it is, but I don't think its fair for you to say that the people who don't like it spend their lives looking for things to go wrong. I was very excited to ride Spaceship Earth and had no doubt that I was going to love what I saw. I was disappointed, that doesn't make me a pessamistic person. I don't go around the parks looking for peeling paint or burnt out light bulbs. I feel very fortunate to be able to visit WDW and have a great time when I'm there regardless of attraction refurbs. I will still ride Spaceship Earth and enjoy most of the ascent (I'm still on the fence about the script but I like Judi Dench). I don't see anything wrong with fans pointing out what we consider to be weak points in the attraction.

I'm glad you and the general public like it, different strokes for different folks I guess. :shrug:

Yes to all of that! Very much agree on those thoughts.
:D

If you guys have (and boy, you guys REALLY have made this clear.) choosen to disown SSE, I better not see any of you ridin' it! More room for me...

:lol:

I may be missing quite a bit, but I've only seen one overly dramatic person disown SSE :animwink:

CaptainMichael

I may be missing quite a bit, but I've only seen one overly dramatic person disown SSE :animwink:

Well, maybe not disown, but there are definitely a few overly dramatic people.

The thing most people have a gripe about is probably the least finished part of an attraction that doesn't open until February. This is the testing phase. I respect other people's opinions, but I don't respect the Kool-Aide drinkers that think the sky is falling, and WDI is dying a slow death because they have no dress code...

RWilliams

Premium Member

The thing most people have a gripe about is probably the least finished part of an attraction that doesn't open until February. This is the testing phase. I respect other people's opinions, but I don't respect the Kool-Aide drinkers that think the sky is falling, and WDI is dying a slow death because they have no dress code...

ok fair enough, but please keep in mind that you're painting all of us with the same brush. Just because one or two members here are going a little (ok maybe more than a little) nuts over it doesn't mean we all are. :)

hpyhnt 1000

^With regards to what is being said above, we all have our own opinions about this refurb thus far. At this point, some like it more than others, but because we list some faults does not mean we automatically hate the thing. We all want SSE to be the best it can be. I personally like the new AA's and show scenes, but the narration and touchscreen applications are lacking, IMHO. Still, I will be excited to ride it in the future, even if it does not evoke the same emotion in me as it did before.

Anyway, back to what this thread is supposed to be about: what we think would be a better utilization of the SSE screens. First, put the new safety video (the one that tells you, "..your time machine vehicle will slowly rotate backwards, and may stop momentarily.") in the ride vehicle.

I also like the idea of offering closed captioning for guests who would like it (more than one language would be even better!).

Finally, find a different way to present the "create your own future" segment. The survey questions like they are now are silly and time consuming. Get rid of them. Instead, ask us what kind of future we would like to see (i.e. future of transportation, future of energy sources, future of healthcare, etc.). In fact, you could maybe list 5 or 6 of these subjects, then ask us to pick our top three. At that point, our "vision of the future" would begin, based on the choces we made, and preferably with more realistic animation/graphics. This would be more efficient, and still lets each guest pick what they want to see in the future.

Rayray

How is it overly dramatic to complain. WDI or whoever the heck is responsible for the refurbishment really, really screwed up. You can be a sycophant and worshiper of Disney like everbody else, including me, on this board, but even I have a hard time defending this one. The amount of time and money spent (poorly spent, it appears) is too much to lose, in the eyes of an executive.

I just don't get this one. Why would anyone in there right mind think that this touchscreen idea is good? It might keep you kid awake, but so could a smelly parkgoer sitting next to him or her. What I am trying to say is keeping someone out of sleep or boredom is NOT the same idea as entertaining someone. We can have more fun with touchscreens at an atm or video arcade.

I unfortunately see this turn of events as another example for WDCo. to use against WDI when they get ready to downsize even more. I can't say that it's WDI's fault altogether, because I have no idea of the circumstances. Heck, the ride might get dramatically improved by February, but lots of ground must be made. I just don't understand why they dramtically changed the narration and used that kind of ending. I think many people could have done better.

Timmay

Wow, I can't believe this is happening...moaning, complaining, dissapointment, whining, fits of anger...from people who haven't even been on a ride that is not even officially open or completed.

I never thought that would happen around here.
:rolleyes:

Rayray

Wow, I can't believe this is happening...moaning, complaining, dissapointment, whining, fits of anger...from people who haven't even been on a ride that is not even officially open or completed.

I never thought that would happen around here.
:rolleyes:
It's a forum, there will be complaining and moaing, so why not add to the discussion. It's like we need a new forum for analysis of other forum discusions to discuss how other people's discussing isn't up to par.

Don't worry, this thread is not officially finished yet; don't judge it till its the final product. I think we might a random survey and flash animation befor its finished (j/k):p.

rccola18

feedback

i know that Disney reads these forums for feedback but I mean, is there a email that us can give feedback(positive or negative) to WDI? I think this testing should continue at the end of the ride..possibly filling out a survey with comments at the end. Maybe it'd help, maybe not...

I am not giving my opinion on SSE until the official date. Thanks and Goodnight.

Skyway

During the 1994 rehab, it sounds like a lot of the old '82 scenes and effects in the descent were painted black or covered up with curtains (and it sure makes sense to save money by hiding something in the dark rather than paying crews to haul it out.)

My question is: were the 1994 effects and sets also covered up during this recent rehab, rather than being ripped out?

If so , I would imagine it would be much simpler for Disney to "fix" the current descent. By uncovering those old scenes, powering up the fiber optic "city" lights, and re-writing the script to reflect those images, they could probably keep the touch screen sequence as-is, while also giving riders a trippy environment to fill out the questionaire.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Well less than what people are saying.

For a while we thought the solar paneled satelite with the astronaut in 180top were hidden by a curtain...same thing goes for the astronaut holding the replacement piece for the satelite.

Turns out both were removed in 1994. The space station in 180top had all of its electrical work turned off and lights removed. The ceiling was painted black. The wall panneling was all removed and replaced with black sound proof panneling. The AA girl may have been removed from the window...no one knows for sure. The window was then covered up and painted black.

Someone who rode the attraction before it closed in the summer said they wanted to see if the window was still there, and were amazed to find it all removed, leaving a scar on the wall.

Until someone takes a flash photo in the old space station scene...we won't know if it's there or not. Heck, I don't even know if the space station roof was removed or not.

All of the 1982 and 1986 effects were removed. They had to because in 1994 a false ceiling was placed in their space. The entire descent tunnel was smaller than it really is.

I was realllllyyyy hoping they would have removed the false ceiling, but alas they didn't and the space is now dark, cramped, and unused.

Hopefully they will use the fiber optic lights that are still there. As far as the city of tomorrow model and SSE model...no idea if they are still there are not.

Figment571

I thought the two words were going to be S..t Sandwich. Spinal Tap, anyone?

But on second thought, Spaceshi* Earth might work just as well.

This refurb is most definitely turning out to be about a five out of 11 on the awesome scale.

Narration, music, descent what else could go wrong.......a "sinkhole" perhaps:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom