Trip Report A Nostalgic Nerd and a Newbie experience WDW over Thanksgiving and, somehow, remain married.

This one has been a long time coming.

In order for you to know what you're in for, you have to know a little bit about me before diving in.

My first trip to WDW was in 1976. I was four years old and traveling with my family. Mom, Dad, older brother, Grandma. We drove down,, like most folks did in those days, with a couple of stops along the way to visit family. I'm not going to exaggerate and tell you that I remember every detail of that trip, because I don't. I was four. However, what I do remember clearly are very strong moments that imprinted themselves on my brain and caused a (perhaps-unhealthy) obsession with Walt Disney World that continues to this day. (Or at least I think it still does. Maybe. We'll get to that.) I remember sipping orange juice out of a plastic orange that I kept and used until it melted in the dishwasher. I remember my brother telling me that the Witch in the Snow White ride would jump onto our vehicle and grab me, causing me to scream the entire time while he laughed and clawed at me. I remember wanting to prove that I was a manly little man and riding the Tea Cups twice in a row, getting sick after the second time and receiving a solid punch to the gut from my big brother for whining about it, causing nausea to turn in to full protein expulsion. I remember eating in, what was then, King Stefan's Banquet Hall and having a terrible time using the paper straw they gave me to drink my milk. I remember the People Mover. I remember If You Had Wings. I remember being terrified of the drop in Pirates, followed by amazement for the rest of the ride. Most of all, I remember the Haunted Mansion. To me, those ghosts were real. They were scary, they were funny, and they made me decide then and there that I wanted to move to the Magic Kingdom. My folks informed me that we weren't planning such a move any time soon, but they mollified me by buying the Haunted Mansion LP and Liberty Square View Master set so that I could take a bit of the Mansion home with me. These are good memories. Yes, I even get a laugh out of the Tea Cup incident. I am fully aware that I was an annoying little brother. Mostly, I remember just being there with my family.

It was a long seven years before we made it back to WDW. Dad was a United Methodist Minister and Mom was a Public School Teacher, so we were pretty firmly lower-middle-class. We were fortunate enough to be able to take a vacation every summer, but a WDW vacation was something special that we could only do every once in a while. We picked a great year to go back: 1983. EPCOT Center had just opened the previous October. We were there in the summer, so Horizons had not yet opened and The Living Seas was still a couple of years off, but it was glorious. I've always been a bit of a nerd, so science, history, and technology were right up my alley. When I walked into EPCOT Center, I may as well have been Charlie Bucket entering Wonka's chocolate factory. It was like the Imagineers probed my brain, found everything I loved, and built an enormous theme park just for me. I remember almost everything about that visit. I remember everything we rode, what we ate for dinner, and even what our 3-Day tickets looked like. As much as I loved the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Center was the younger, hotter, smarter sister who immediately stole my heart. Spaceship Earth was awe-inspiring. Even Listen to the Land felt like something out of Science Fiction. Journey Into Imagination? Aw, man. I can't even begin to explain how that whole pavilion just blew me away. Plus, EPCOT HAD COMPUTERS YOU COULD CONTROL BY TOUCH!!!

It was only a few years before we went back to WDW in 1987. I was in high school. You would have thought that maybe WDW would have been "too cheesy" for a 15 year-old boy. Nope. Once again, I was carried away by it. We didn't have the Internet in those days, but I had read and re-read my souvenir pictorial books and any kind of reading material about Disney I could find at my library. By this time, I had come to the conclusion that WDW was the most perfect place on the planet and that I would happily return as soon as I was able.

Well, it turned out that a decade would pass before I could go back. I finished my college degree, met a girl, and got married. I wanted to go to WDW for our honeymoon and, bless her, she agreed. It was early January of 1997 and we were going for an entire week. The weather was beautiful, we were staying at the, then new, Port Orleans (no French Quarter surname, then), and best of all, the parks were almost empty. I mean, they weren't empty, but if you were to go to WDW these days and saw so few people, you might wonder if some great national tragedy had happened that you had somehow missed hearing about. It was amazing. We were able to ride anything we wanted with almost no lines. We could get dining reservations at any restaurant. When the hotel found out it was our honeymoon, we came back to the room that evening to find a free gift basket with flowers, candy, and sparkling grape juice. Talk about a different time.

Almost another decade later in 2006, our son had come along and we decided to go back to WDW with him. He was only two and we knew he wouldn't remember it, but we also knew that he would enjoy it in the moment and that it would be a ton of fun for us to see the place through his eyes. It was. The crowds were larger this time, but it was in the summer and to be expected. It was still unusual to see a line longer than 30 minutes and those were reserved for the new attractions. Pretty much everything else was 15-20 minutes, tops. I noticed that some of the things I loved about WDW had gone away. The Penny Arcade and Magic Shop were gone from Main Street. The Tiki Room was Under New Management (shudder). Horizons had been replaced by Mission: Space. JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION had been utterly destroyed. Captain Jack had invaded Pirates. Things were still good, but... off.

That brings us to now. It's been twelve years since I've been able to go to WDW. I've gone through a divorce, major traumatic life events, getting remarried, gaining two amazing stepsons, two big career changes, and the death of both of my parents and my grandmother. Needless to say, life hit me pretty hard and I feel very lucky to have bounced back and found myself in a good place again. During the intervening years, I desperately wished I could go back to WDW, but it simply wasn't in the cards. Twice in the past few years, my wife and I planned trips there and twice they were canceled because of unexpected life events.

This time, we got to go.

That's a lot of set-up, I know. I just wanted folks to have some background on my deep love for and experience with WDW so that when I start in full speed tomorrow, you can know from whence my opinions grew. I'm going to be brutally honest. There were things that caught me by surprise at how wonderful they were and other things that, I truly feel, are major, major, issues that Disney will need to contend with in the coming years if they are to continue to prosper. The gloves are off and the filters are down. Don't worry. Future posts will have plenty of pictures. :)

Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride vehicle at all times and make sure that your safety belt is securely fastened. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

...to be continued

LeighM

Following along! My first trip back to WDW after losing my mom in 2016 was very bittersweet. She hated the parks but loved Disney movies. My love of Disney actually started with Mom and Grandma. So I kept seeing little reminders of them everywhere. That trip hit me harder than I thought it would have. I'm from VA and have one really been through WV once on the way to a family wedding in KY. I thought we would never get out of WV on 64 :) It didn't look all that big on the map LOL.

geekza

Original Poster
Following along! My first trip back to WDW after losing my mom in 2016 was very bittersweet. She hated the parks but loved Disney movies. My love of Disney actually started with Mom and Grandma. So I kept seeing little reminders of them everywhere. That trip hit me harder than I thought it would have. I'm from VA and have one really been through WV once on the way to a family wedding in KY. I thought we would never get out of WV on 64 :) It didn't look all that big on the map LOL.

We're one of the oddest-shaped states in the Union. Because of the two panhandles, we actually stretch pretty far if you drive fully north to south or east to west. :)

Yeah, there were a few times when I had really melancholy moments. I lost my Dad back in 2010. He absolutely adored Disney and especially the Carousel of Progress and PeopleMover. The memories came flooding back when I experienced them this time. I lost my Mom just this past March. Since it was her generosity that allowed us to go this time, she was very much on my mind. During the Candlelight Processional, I kept thinking, "Boy, Mom and Dad would have loved this." I so wanted to call them up and tell them about it. It hit me that I would never be able to again. It made me tear up.

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

I'm not sure if you're serious, but just in case you are, check out his website. Be prepared to spend more time than you thought possible, though.
I was totally serious. I know Martin is famous in these parts but had no idea he had a website. Who is this guy anyway? :happy: I know he contributes a lot in News & Rumors but I don't hang out there too much, some of those people over there are scary. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was totally serious. I know Martin is famous in these parts but had no idea he had a website. Who is this guy anyway? :happy: I know he contributes a lot in News & Rumors but I don't hang out there too much, some of those people over there are scary. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Martin is a gem. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on these boards, about anything related to Disney. He shares his expertise with everyone, and his videos are second to none. He's an amazing person. (He also knows a number of "insiders" and occasionally shares some nuggets of gold with us.) :)

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
During the Candlelight Processional, I kept thinking, "Boy, Mom and Dad would have loved this." I so wanted to call them up and tell them about it. It hit me that I would never be able to again. It made me tear up.

So sorry for your losses.

This part hit really close to home. My last trip was about 6 months after my brother suddenly passed away. It was so odd to experience Disney without him. It was also his son’s first Disney trip so that was really bittersweet knowing that my brother was missing all of my nephew’s Disney firsts.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So sorry for your losses.

This part hit really close to home. My last trip was about 6 months after my brother suddenly passed away. It was so odd to experience Disney without him. It was also his son’s first Disney trip so that was really bittersweet knowing that my brother was missing all of my nephew’s Disney firsts.

Sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one around the holidays is very sad. Kind wishes to you and your family during this season.

geekza

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have been at WDW when it was busy. I've gone during the middle of summer. I was at EPCOT Center the year it opened (and if you think about how large that park is, you can imagine what it was like when it was brand new). I was expecting crowds. I wasn't expecting a historical reenactment of the Who concert tragedy of 1979. I'm not a small man, but even I felt like I was going to be crushed by the huge swarm of anxious people determined to get to Frontierland at park opening. It got worse as the crowd doubled in size as the people who had been massing at the entrance to Adventureland tried to merge into the Liberty Square group. That was the moment that I knew that relaxation would not be a component of my long-awaited vacation.

1373be02380940b8a97758a7232cad29.jpeg

This is where I put in another plug for Touring Plans. I had gradually become skeptical as to whether or not all of the work that I had put in over the months trying to come up with plans that would allow us to see at least most of what I wanted to experience and show to Jen would be worth it. It wasn't just worth it on this trip; it was vital. The simple truth was that three FastPasses didn't go very far. If you wanted to ride something and you didn't have a FastPass already, you had to get to it as quickly as you could at Rope Drop. If you were lucky, you could fit in a couple of rides during the first hour. After that, you were facing around an hour wait, minimum, for anything other than the least-popular attractions. Attractions that were really popular would routinely sit at 90 minutes to 2.5 hours.

If you're an Annual Passholder or someone who goes to WDW every year or two, it probably isn't a big deal to spend two hours out of your day on a single attraction and let others fall by the wayside. You can justify standing in a line for 45 minutes to get a cup of coffee or grab a bite to eat. If you know you are coming back soon, you can take the huge crowds in stride. If you're someone like me, who has only been able to go to WDW a few times over the past 46 years and who had to really sacrifice to make this trip happen or you're someone who will only be able to visit WDW once in a lifetime, crowds like what we experienced were depressing. You couldn't take the time to admire the little things and just forget about being able to slow down and relax. It wasn't going to happen. We had to go, go, go until we were exhausted and the crowds had grown so huge that we knew we wouldn't be able to ride anything else without committing to at least an hour standing in line. Let's be real. As wonderful as WDW is, very little there is worth standing in a line for an hour or more. Some things, maybe once. This wasn't the WDW I fell in love with.

But, back to the dash to Big Thunder Mountain. We made our way through the crowd and to the queue for the ride. The wait wasn't long, since we had been fairly close to the front of the mob and the ride was a good time, as always. I do have to say that it really needs some work, though. Comparing it to the Disneyland version really makes the MK version's faults stand out. There aren't as many cool mist effects. No colored lighting in the cave with the little geyser things. The final trip through the mine is incredibly anticlimactic. There are no effects to make you feel like you're on the brink of getting blown up or crushed by falling rocks. It's barren. Like I said, the ride itself is still fun, but in its current state, it's like something you'd ride at a Six Flags park, but with better overall scenery.

From there, we dashed over to Splash Mountain as we had a FastPass. (Sorry, only the Photopass pic, but you all know what it looks like. You'll find that I wasn't able to get pics of everything as our trip went on because we were always on the move.) The Standby line was already up to 45 minutes. As we went through the FastPass queue and saw just how much the Standby queue wrapped back and forth, disguising its true length, the woman behind us in line said, "I can't even imagine how much those people hate us right now." Honestly, the crowds were so big during the week that every time I used a FastPass, I experienced both a sense of relief and guilt in equal measure.

MK_SPLASH_20181118_8290627253.jpeg

As to the ride experience itself, Splash Mountain is one of my all-time favorite Disney attractions. I'm a huge dark ride fan as well as a fan of rides that utilize boats. Splash Mountain ticks all of my boxes for a great ride. It has copious amounts of AA figures, detailed set pieces, a fantastic soundtrack, consistent tone, a story that builds to a satisfying climax, and a length that makes you feel like you've gotten tremendous value for your effort getting to the boat. It's a stone-cold classic. I wasn't sure how Jen would take to it, as she isn't traditionally one for thrills, but it ended up being her favorite ride in any of the parks. We were seated in the rear of our boat, so we were able to have a nice sprinkling of water without getting doused. It was great. With that said, there are operational things that are currently not working as they should. A few of the AA figures are broken. With so many of them, they're easier to miss, but I know that attraction backward and forward, so they really jumped out at me, especially the row of hens on the end of the riverboat. When everything around is singing and dancing, a stationary row of chickens sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the lighting needs replaced or readjusted. The leaping fountains were hit and miss. It's not a disaster, but it's far from peak condition, which was a common occurrence at many attractions we experienced during our stay. Time for me to put on my Old Man Hat and say that, back in the day, it would have been unacceptable and things would have been fixed as quickly as possible. Times have definitely changed.

After we exited Splash Mountain, we headed over to Adventureland for our next FastPass, Pirates of the Caribbean.

2018-11-18 09.26.41edit.jpg

Don't let the seemingly-sparse crowd fool you. It was still early in the morning and the huge crowds were mostly clumped around attractions.

I'm a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean. At least I was. I think that my disappointment this time stems from the fact that, in the twelve years between my last visit and this one, I learned quite a bit more about the Disneyland original. Up until a few years ago, I had never seen a ride-through video of the Disneyland version. Let's face it, decent video cameras that shoot well in low-light environments haven't been readily available to non-professionals until fairly recently. Perhaps I shouldn't compare WDW and DL Pirates, but as they are supposed to be essentially identical, I think it's fair. When it comes right down to it, the WDW Pirates is not a great attraction.

It has some things I still quite like. I love the WDW queue. It really feels like you're entering someplace mysterious, though it seems to me that there used to be more things to look at. I could be misremembering. I love little touches like the two skeletons playing chess. Some iconic set pieces still work, for example, tempting the dog with a bone to try and get the key to the cell, the overall cartoonish design of most of the pirates, the singing pirates with the donkey behind them, etc.

Overall, however, the modern incarnation of the attraction is a mess. I hate, hate, hate how the film has usurped the original ride. Instead of feeling like you're traveling through a town, the various appearances of Jack Sparrow cause the flow of the ride to be disjointed. They tried to overlay a specific plot about searching for Jack Sparrow and it simply doesn't work. Barbossa is a pale replacement for the original ship's captain. The projection of Davy Jones on the mist screen is so badly lit and framed that it is now just an obvious rectangular projection that is too small and bright and in no way resembles the waterfall that it purports to be. When I was there in 2004, right after the effect was added, I have to admit it was pretty striking and effective, for what it was. If they aren't going to make sure it is projected correctly, they should eliminate it. The picture-taking skull and crossbones looks like a reject from a Halloween Express and pulls your eye away from the much-cooler skeleton at the ship's wheel. Overall, the entire beginning of the attraction before the drop is dull, underlit, and lifeless.

MK_PIRATESRIDE_20181118_8290579448.jpeg

The people in this picture are not thrilled. Well, the one kid seems to be freaked out a bit, which made me giggle.

Finally, I'm going to "go there" and state that, in my opinion, the ride has been neutered to the point of mediocrity. I don't intend to rile anyone up with this opinion; it's just how I feel about it after my last trip. While I can understand from a business perspective why the changes have been made, none of the changed gags work. None of them. The new Pirate Readhead is terrible. With a much-better script, it could be passable, I suppose, but the current scene is illogical and insulting. The slow degradation of the original that began with the first changes in the early-90's have so chipped away at the sense of fun and mischief that were present in the original gags, that there's very little of worth left. It's like the difference between a spicy dish and gruel. I begrudgingly defended the changes on this very board only a few months ago. That was before I saw the cumulative effect of everything for myself. The fact that the WDW version is so truncated and rushed makes its faults stand out even more. As it stands, I have no desire to ever ride Pirates of the Caribbean again. The attraction I loved no longer exists.

As for how Jen felt about it, to be honest, she found it so unmemorable that when we had a FastPass for it on our final day in the MK, she asked, "Did we ride this already? I can't remember." That says a lot.

Visual Aide representing Pirates, before and after:
_69262454_frescopic.gif

...to be continued

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Day 2, cont.

"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have been at WDW when it was busy. I've gone during the middle of summer. I was at EPCOT Center the year it opened (and if you think about how large that park is, you can imagine what it was like when it was brand new). I was expecting crowds. I wasn't expecting a historical reenactment of the Who concert tragedy of 1979. I'm not a small man, but even I felt like I was going to be crushed by the huge swarm of anxious people determined to get to Frontierland at park opening. It got worse as the crowd doubled in size as the people who had been massing at the entrance to Adventureland tried to merge into the Liberty Square group. That was the moment that I knew that relaxation would not be a component of my long-awaited vacation.

View attachment 330259

This is where I put in another plug for Touring Plans. I had gradually become skeptical as to whether or not all of the work that I had put in over the months trying to come up with plans that would allow us to see at least most of what I wanted to experience and show to Jen would be worth it. It wasn't just worth it on this trip; it was vital. The simple truth was that three FastPasses didn't go very far. If you wanted to ride something and you didn't have a FastPass already, you had to get to it as quickly as you could at Rope Drop. If you were lucky, you could fit in a couple of rides during the first hour. After that, you were facing around an hour wait, minimum, for anything other than the least-popular attractions. Attractions that were really popular would routinely sit at 90 minutes to 2.5 hours.

If you're an Annual Passholder or someone who goes to WDW every year or two, it probably isn't a big deal to spend two hours out of your day on a single attraction and let others fall by the wayside. You can justify standing in a line for 45 minutes to get a cup of coffee or grab a bite to eat. If you know you are coming back soon, you can take the huge crowds in stride. If you're someone like me, who has only been able to go to WDW a few times over the past 46 years and who had to really sacrifice to make this trip happen or you're someone who will only be able to visit WDW once in a lifetime, crowds like what we experienced were depressing. You couldn't take the time to admire the little things and just forget about being able to slow down and relax. It wasn't going to happen. We had to go, go, go until we were exhausted and the crowds had grown so huge that we knew we wouldn't be able to ride anything else without committing to at least an hour standing in line. Let's be real. As wonderful as WDW is, very little there is worth standing in a line for an hour or more. Some things, maybe once. This wasn't the WDW I fell in love with.

But, back to the dash to Big Thunder Mountain. We made our way through the crowd and to the queue for the ride. The wait wasn't long, since we had been fairly close to the front of the mob and the ride was a good time, as always. I do have to say that it really needs some work, though. Comparing it to the Disneyland version really makes the MK version's faults stand out. There aren't as many cool mist effects. No colored lighting in the cave with the little geyser things. The final trip through the mine is incredibly anticlimactic. There are no effects to make you feel like you're on the brink of getting blown up or crushed by falling rocks. It's barren. Like I said, the ride itself is still fun, but in its current state, it's like something you'd ride at a Six Flags park, but with better overall scenery.

From there, we dashed over to Splash Mountain as we had a FastPass. (Sorry, only the Photopass pic, but you all know what it looks like. You'll find that I wasn't able to get pics of everything as our trip went on because we were always on the move.) The Standby line was already up to 45 minutes. As we went through the FastPass queue and saw just how much the Standby queue wrapped back and forth, disguising its true length, the woman behind us in line said, "I can't even imagine how much those people hate us right now." Honestly, the crowds were so big during the week that every time I used a FastPass, I experienced both a sense of relief and guilt in equal measure.

View attachment 330294

As to the ride experience itself, Splash Mountain is one of my all-time favorite Disney attractions. I'm a huge dark ride fan as well as a fan of rides that utilize boats. Splash Mountain ticks all of my boxes for a great ride. It has copious amounts of AA figures, detailed set pieces, a fantastic soundtrack, consistent tone, a story that builds to a satisfying climax, and a length that makes you feel like you've gotten tremendous value for your effort getting to the boat. It's a stone-cold classic. I wasn't sure how Jen would take to it, as she isn't traditionally one for thrills, but it ended up being her favorite ride in any of the parks. We were seated in the rear of our boat, so we were able to have a nice sprinkling of water without getting doused. It was great. With that said, there are operational things that are currently not working as they should. A few of the AA figures are broken. With so many of them, they're easier to miss, but I know that attraction backward and forward, so they really jumped out at me, especially the row of hens on the end of the riverboat. When everything around is singing and dancing, a stationary row of chickens sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the lighting needs replaced or readjusted. The leaping fountains were hit and miss. It's not a disaster, but it's far from peak condition, which was a common occurrence at many attractions we experienced during our stay. Time for me to put on my Old Man Hat and say that, back in the day, it would have been unacceptable and things would have been fixed as quickly as possible. Times have definitely changed.

After we exited Splash Mountain, we headed over to Adventureland for our next FastPass, Pirates of the Caribbean.

View attachment 330262

Don't let the seemingly-sparse crowd fool you. It was still early in the morning and the huge crowds were mostly clumped around attractions.

I'm a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean. At least I was. I think that my disappointment this time stems from the fact that, in the twelve years between my last visit and this one, I learned quite a bit more about the Disneyland original. Up until a few years ago, I had never seen a ride-through video of the Disneyland version. Let's face it, decent video cameras that shoot well in low-light environments haven't been readily available to non-professionals until fairly recently. Perhaps I shouldn't compare WDW and DL Pirates, but as they are supposed to be essentially identical, I think it's fair. When it comes right down to it, the WDW Pirates is not a great attraction.

It has some things I still quite like. I love the WDW queue. It really feels like you're entering someplace mysterious, though it seems to me that there used to be more things to look at. I could be misremembering. I love little touches like the two skeletons playing chess. Some iconic set pieces still work, for example, tempting the dog with a bone to try and get the key to the cell, the overall cartoonish design of most of the pirates, the singing pirates with the donkey behind them, etc.

Overall, however, the modern incarnation of the attraction is a mess. I hate, hate, hate how the film has usurped the original ride. Instead of feeling like you're traveling through a town, the various appearances of Jack Sparrow cause the flow of the ride to be disjointed. They tried to overlay a specific plot about searching for Jack Sparrow and it simply doesn't work. Barbossa is a pale replacement for the original ship's captain. The projection of Davy Jones on the mist screen is so badly lit and framed that it is now just an obvious rectangular projection that is too small and bright and in no way resembles the waterfall that it purports to be. When I was there in 2004, right after the effect was added, I have to admit it was pretty striking and effective, for what it was. If they aren't going to make sure it is projected correctly, they should eliminate it. The picture-taking skull and crossbones looks like a reject from a Halloween Express and pulls your eye away from the much-cooler skeleton at the ship's wheel. Overall, the entire beginning of the attraction before the drop is dull, underlit, and lifeless.

View attachment 330295

The people in this picture are not thrilled. Well, the one kid seems to be freaked out a bit, which made me giggle.

Finally, I'm going to "go there" and state that, in my opinion, the ride has been neutered to the point of mediocrity. I don't intend to rile anyone up with this opinion; it's just how I feel about it after my last trip. While I can understand from a business perspective why the changes have been made, none of the changed gags work. None of them. The new Pirate Readhead is terrible. With a much-better script, it could be passable, I suppose, but the current scene is illogical and insulting. The slow degradation of the original that began with the first changes in the early-90's have so chipped away at the sense of fun and mischief that were present in the original gags, that there's very little of worth left. It's like the difference between a spicy dish and gruel. I begrudgingly defended the changes on this very board only a few months ago. That was before I saw the cumulative effect of everything for myself. The fact that the WDW version is so truncated and rushed makes its faults stand out even more. As it stands, I have no desire to ever ride Pirates of the Caribbean again. The attraction I loved no longer exists.

As for how Jen felt about it, to be honest, she found it so unmemorable that when we had a FastPass for it on our final day in the MK, she asked, "Did we ride this already? I can't remember." That says a lot.

Visual Aide representing Pirates, before and after:
_69262454_frescopic.gif

...to be continued

I agree with the changes on Pirates...we're getting WWAAAYYY too PC in this country...just in the last week, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is racist, Rudolph is sexist, and the Christmas song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is banned at a station in Ohio because a listener complained that it condones date rape...with that said, again I agree with your take on Pirates, BUT we still LOVE BTMRR, SM, and Pirates, even with their shortcomings...yes the crowds are the new norm at the world, no matter when you go...the best advise I can give is to go on those rides during a parade or fireworks...it's usually a short wait, sometimes even a walk on for them.

geekza

Original Poster
the best advise I can give is to go on those rides during a parade or fireworks...it's usually a short wait, sometimes even a walk on for them.
Not when we were there. Granted, we were there at a busy time, but it was downright ridiculous. There was no way that people were getting their money's worth during that week. We loved BTMM and SM, they just need some TLC.

Smiley/OCD

Not when we were there. Granted, we were there at a busy time, but it was downright ridiculous. There was no way that people were getting their money's worth during that week. We loved BTMM and SM, they just need some TLC.
Wow...I guess gridlock is the new normal...

SirWillow

Very much enjoying this so far. Yes, part of the problem with the crowds is when you were there- Thanksgiving Week is in the top 3 busiest weeks of the year (behind the two weeks around Christmas and New Year's, but well ahead of 4th of July) so that had a major impact. But even the slower times of year now are much busier than they used to be- even compared to 2006.

And totally understand your opinion on Pirates- especially compared to the California version. I still love it, but it's not what it was.

geekza

Original Poster
Day 2, cont. (again)

Sorry this is taking me so long. I have a lot of thoughts to work through, since this was a really big trip for me. I promise that it wasn't all doom and gloom. :)

Exiting Pirates into the gift shop (Was this the first attraction that dumped you into a gift shop?), I noticed something interesting. As I'm sure most of you are aware, Johnny Depp has suffered some damage in the public eye of late due to his overspending, apparent alcoholism, and alleged abuse of his wife. The Captain Jack show that ran for years and was, by all accounts, still popular with the kiddies, was shut down recently. The space is still there, because they haven't figured out what to do with it yet, it seems. What I found especially telling about a potential shift in direction by Disney concerning the films is that the gift shop contained very little that was movie-related. To me, this was a very pleasant surprise. Nearly everything in there was generic pirate paraphernalia along with a few attraction-specific shirts. It was more like the Pirates shop I remembered from my youth. It was stocked with toys to spur imaginative roleplay; swords, pirate hats, etc. I fondly remember buying a cap musket there as a child and playing with it for years, to the point where it broke from overuse. Now, times being what they are, I don't think we'll see the return of realistic-looking guns, but what was there was fun and would have absolutely appealed to me as a child. The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the Coco merch since the last time I checked, Coco had nothing to do with pirates or the Caribbean. I'm all for more Coco stuff, as it was a great film with a unique and creative visual style. I just question its placement in this particular store. If Disney is going full-bore IPCOT, I wouldn't complain if the plans for a Coco overlay of the Mexico boat ride actually happened. In any case, points to Disney for what I see as a big improvement in the Pirates gift shop.

While Jen took a moment to powder her nose, I took a much-needed seat outside of the restrooms near Pirates. Looking across from me, I noticed an amazing little picture spot. I'm not sure if it was formerly used as a Captain Jack meet-n-greet, but currently, it's just a bit of set dressing. It stuck out to me as something that used to be more ubiquitous around the property: detailed world-building for its own sake. It doesn't serve a purpose, other than simply being a lovely bit of setting, perfect for pictures and for immersing you in a specific time and place. It was a moment of discovery that, for a few moments, made the crowds and noise fade into the background and reminded me what WDW can be when attention and care are paid to immersion.

915df33a119c4bd987b4e2497f3fdd75.jpeg

Even the signs for the restrooms in that area are detailed, fun, and theme-appropriate. Yes, I took a photo of the restroom sign.

d3431c1513224a8b92ebecf2894c8f9c.jpeg

After that brief respite, where my love of WDW was rekindled, we headed back to Liberty Square for our Haunted Mansion FastPasses. By this time, it was a couple of hours after rope drop.

This was the crowd. Sadly, it would not let up throughout the rest of the day. There are those who say that raising prices is the only answer. I disagree. Disney knows how many people can comfortably be in the parks and have a full experience. In a perfect world, they would close the gate to at least walk-up guests when it reaches that point during a day. It is far from a perfect world. I'm sure the thinking goes, "If they can't get on rides, they'll be forced to either shop or eat. Both of those make us more money, especially when we charge over $4 for a bottle of water."

26a60cb83b92497b8b20c65c25c6c887.jpeg

We braved our way over to the Mansion and got in line. Alas, we were soon told that the ride was down, but that they'd give us a FastPass for any other attraction. I was momentarily disappointed, as the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite things in the whole world, but I knew that the situation was temporary.

We headed over to the Hall of Presidents and went inside. Jen looked confused. When I asked her what the problem was, she said, "I thought this was going to be a series of hallways with robot presidents." I laughed and explained that it was a show, but that the finale of it was, indeed, robotic replicas of all of the presidents. She wrinkled her nose and said, "Oh. So there's no way to just skip Trump, huh?" Nope. She said, "I think I'd rather go see something else." I laughed and agreed. We took a moment to look at the exhibits in the main hall and then left.

We were getting hungry and decided to go get some lunch. We only made sit-down reservations at a few places during our trip since we're not made out of money, so we decided to head over to Pecos Bill's to eat. I hadn't been there since they changed the menu to Tex-Mex, but I think the change is a nice improvement. The food was pretty good, for counter service, and I loved the frozen lemonade slushy they had. I really like the decor in the seating area. Again, it's detailed and aesthetically pleasing where in a typical theme park, such a place would be utilitarian.

3d7b5c6391104e9b8717138c4dc6a84b.jpeg

When we finished eating, I checked the Disney app and saw that the Mansion was back open. Both the Disney phone app and the TouringPlans app were great when used in tandem. I was surprised at how accurate the TouringPlans app was, especially, at estimating how long an actual wait would be, compared to the posted wait times. Sometimes the official times were accurate, often the wait was much less. Only once did I encounter a wait that was significantly longer than what either app predicted. I'll get to that in another post.

21eddb357f7d4a37b306d8afbaa300a7.jpeg

Back to Liberty Square we went. During my last trip in 2006, I remember the Haunted Mansion really needing some TLC. It wasn't in bad shape, but the lighting was really dim and the audio was muffled. This was the first time that I had been back to the Mansion since its major overhaul in 2009. The main thing I initially noticed was how much longer the Standby queue is now. On all of my previous trips, the longest I ever saw the line was out the gates and almost to the Liberty Belle dock. The line was longer this time, but the queue is also twice as long once you get through the turnstile. Since we had our passes, we were thankfully able to bypass that and get into a line that was, essentially, what would have been a normal line prior to the guest boom and FastPass+. Unfortunately, since the crowds were so large, the Butlers/Maids rushed people into the first room, starting the Ghost Host spiel before at least half the crowd had even entered. The sound system in the Mansion had been upgraded, so you could hear, but it definitely hurt the experience. One of my strongest memories of the first time I rode the Mansion back in 1976 was waiting outside the door, the wolves howling in the distance, while ethereal music played in the background. The gaunt butler opened the door, his face pale and drawn, and beckoned us to enter. Once everyone was inside. He closed the door and stared at us, expressionless. Then the Ghost Host spoke. It was chilling and amazing. Some will say that the first room is just a holding area, but back then, it was very much part of the Mansion experience. It's a shame that it has been lost in the rush to push through as many guests as possible.

That unpleasantness aside, the Haunted Mansion was in better shape than I have ever seen it. The remixed directional sound in the stretching room, the pop-up ghosts, the new additions of the Escher staircase room, Constance, the glowing eyes gradually becoming the wallpaper, floating Leota, were all welcome additions and really added to the experience. The digital Hitchhiking Ghost effect doesn't really work, so I missed the old-school figures. Also, some of the new vocal recordings in the graveyard are mixed too high and overpower the rest of the singers. Those are nitpicks, though. The Haunted Mansion, even with the additions, was essentially the ride I loved and continue to love.

The Photopass guy at the end wasn't great, though. He was obviously not a photographer and seemed kind of bored. He couldn't even remember which way we should point our thumbs to insert the Hitchhiking Ghost. Oh, well.

MK_HAUNTEDMANSIONEXIT_20181118_414531973735.jpg

...to be continued

PrincessJasmyn

Before I even read your last paragraph about the photographer I noticed you weren't pointing the same way as the ghost... its really bugging me hahah :p

geekza

Original Poster
Before I even read your last paragraph about the photographer I noticed you weren't pointing the same way as the ghost... its really bugging me hahah :p
I was so disappointed when I saw the photo, since I'm such a huge Mansion fan. I wasn't surprised, though. The photographer was really phoning it in that day. Maybe he was counting the seconds until his break. I don't know. I just don't think he was a very good photographer. I will say that he was the exception to the rule when it came to our interactions with the PhotoPass folks, though.

geekza

Original Poster
Day 2, continued (Yes, again.)

I'm going to take a little diversion with this post and focus on a single attraction.

2008b803520a4246a36881fe3f265cf7.jpeg

I often see It's a Small World (it's a small world, if I'm being pedantic.) as the subject of people's jokes. "I love to sleep on it," they say. "The dolls are creepy," they say. "That song drives me insane," they say.

"Nonsense," I say.

e7e3c9edf3c244abb580d08911294da8.jpeg

I blame pop culture and the Internet for spreading the myth that IASW is a lame attraction. The reason that the attraction remains a beloved classic in its several incarnations around the world is because it is the epitome of a "Walt Attraction." By that, I mean several things:

It's sincere. We have gotten so used to cynicism these days that it has become de rigueur to look at something created with sincerity as "schmaltz" or "camp." While the idea that runs through IASW; that we're all one big human family sharing a planet, that our varying cultures enrich our lives, and that we must always remember that, on the whole, we all just want to experience love and friendship; is rather simplistic, it is nonetheless potent and worthy of remembering, especially during difficult times.

7c8ef67d54464d61a2ea77e1ce56e08b.jpeg

It has complete consistency of tone and design. Every show scene (and there are dozens upon dozens) displays happiness and harmony and the pastel color palette and commitment to using simple geometric shapes relaxes you and takes what could have very easily been a cacophonous onslaught of overstimulation and, instead, seamlessly blends everything like Bob Ross blends a "happy little cloud" on a canvas.

cbd84525afbc48e8b42882e94b971232.jpeg

The song is perfect. Shut up, you. Yes, you. You're wrong. It's perfect. Its simplicity allows it to constantly change languages and instrumentation, whilst always remaining a cohesive song. Some complain that it "burrows into your brain." Yes. It does. That's because it's memorable. Everyone from the smallest children to grandparents have learned the melody by the end of the ride and retains it for the rest of their lives. How many songs do we hear in our lifetimes that stick with you like that? Its repetition acts as a kind of mantra, allowing the mind and body to sync to the rhythm and push out all external worries and cares. It opens the mind to the message of the attraction and the beauty of everything that surrounds you while inside of it.

024b0c5a0e6e4c8e99fefd28e7a6ccaf.jpeg

Finally, it is, I think, the most elaborate attraction ever built by Disney. With this attraction, Walt chose his Imagineers perfectly and let them go wild. Every few feet, there is another show scene, each telling its own story, each of which could be photographed on its own and seem to be a separate work of Art. There is always something new to notice and take in with each relaxing boat trip. I don't care how many times you've been on it, I guarantee that if you take the time to truly focus on the details, you'll see something that you've never noticed in the past.

ce293a98833e4bad97d93f8c6160d55c.jpeg

99b29a9bee4a456eaee0bf17f67920bc.jpeg

4089b747448c4a4f8e13286df37ff6e1.jpeg

I've always loved It's a Small World. Since I had the feeling that this might be my last trip to WDW, I really opened my mind to try and take it all in when I rode it. It is a very rewarding experience, if you leave your cynicism outside and give yourself over to its charms. It's a Small World has been charming guests since 1964, with very good reason. It is lovely, sincere, and perfect.

3d56a797d40845df9d567605bb6ab2b0.jpeg

...to be continued

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom