Trip Report A Nostalgic Nerd and a Newbie experience WDW over Thanksgiving and, somehow, remain married.

This one has been a long time coming.

In order for you to know what you're in for, you have to know a little bit about me before diving in.

My first trip to WDW was in 1976. I was four years old and traveling with my family. Mom, Dad, older brother, Grandma. We drove down,, like most folks did in those days, with a couple of stops along the way to visit family. I'm not going to exaggerate and tell you that I remember every detail of that trip, because I don't. I was four. However, what I do remember clearly are very strong moments that imprinted themselves on my brain and caused a (perhaps-unhealthy) obsession with Walt Disney World that continues to this day. (Or at least I think it still does. Maybe. We'll get to that.) I remember sipping orange juice out of a plastic orange that I kept and used until it melted in the dishwasher. I remember my brother telling me that the Witch in the Snow White ride would jump onto our vehicle and grab me, causing me to scream the entire time while he laughed and clawed at me. I remember wanting to prove that I was a manly little man and riding the Tea Cups twice in a row, getting sick after the second time and receiving a solid punch to the gut from my big brother for whining about it, causing nausea to turn in to full protein expulsion. I remember eating in, what was then, King Stefan's Banquet Hall and having a terrible time using the paper straw they gave me to drink my milk. I remember the People Mover. I remember If You Had Wings. I remember being terrified of the drop in Pirates, followed by amazement for the rest of the ride. Most of all, I remember the Haunted Mansion. To me, those ghosts were real. They were scary, they were funny, and they made me decide then and there that I wanted to move to the Magic Kingdom. My folks informed me that we weren't planning such a move any time soon, but they mollified me by buying the Haunted Mansion LP and Liberty Square View Master set so that I could take a bit of the Mansion home with me. These are good memories. Yes, I even get a laugh out of the Tea Cup incident. I am fully aware that I was an annoying little brother. Mostly, I remember just being there with my family.

It was a long seven years before we made it back to WDW. Dad was a United Methodist Minister and Mom was a Public School Teacher, so we were pretty firmly lower-middle-class. We were fortunate enough to be able to take a vacation every summer, but a WDW vacation was something special that we could only do every once in a while. We picked a great year to go back: 1983. EPCOT Center had just opened the previous October. We were there in the summer, so Horizons had not yet opened and The Living Seas was still a couple of years off, but it was glorious. I've always been a bit of a nerd, so science, history, and technology were right up my alley. When I walked into EPCOT Center, I may as well have been Charlie Bucket entering Wonka's chocolate factory. It was like the Imagineers probed my brain, found everything I loved, and built an enormous theme park just for me. I remember almost everything about that visit. I remember everything we rode, what we ate for dinner, and even what our 3-Day tickets looked like. As much as I loved the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Center was the younger, hotter, smarter sister who immediately stole my heart. Spaceship Earth was awe-inspiring. Even Listen to the Land felt like something out of Science Fiction. Journey Into Imagination? Aw, man. I can't even begin to explain how that whole pavilion just blew me away. Plus, EPCOT HAD COMPUTERS YOU COULD CONTROL BY TOUCH!!!

It was only a few years before we went back to WDW in 1987. I was in high school. You would have thought that maybe WDW would have been "too cheesy" for a 15 year-old boy. Nope. Once again, I was carried away by it. We didn't have the Internet in those days, but I had read and re-read my souvenir pictorial books and any kind of reading material about Disney I could find at my library. By this time, I had come to the conclusion that WDW was the most perfect place on the planet and that I would happily return as soon as I was able.

Well, it turned out that a decade would pass before I could go back. I finished my college degree, met a girl, and got married. I wanted to go to WDW for our honeymoon and, bless her, she agreed. It was early January of 1997 and we were going for an entire week. The weather was beautiful, we were staying at the, then new, Port Orleans (no French Quarter surname, then), and best of all, the parks were almost empty. I mean, they weren't empty, but if you were to go to WDW these days and saw so few people, you might wonder if some great national tragedy had happened that you had somehow missed hearing about. It was amazing. We were able to ride anything we wanted with almost no lines. We could get dining reservations at any restaurant. When the hotel found out it was our honeymoon, we came back to the room that evening to find a free gift basket with flowers, candy, and sparkling grape juice. Talk about a different time.

Almost another decade later in 2006, our son had come along and we decided to go back to WDW with him. He was only two and we knew he wouldn't remember it, but we also knew that he would enjoy it in the moment and that it would be a ton of fun for us to see the place through his eyes. It was. The crowds were larger this time, but it was in the summer and to be expected. It was still unusual to see a line longer than 30 minutes and those were reserved for the new attractions. Pretty much everything else was 15-20 minutes, tops. I noticed that some of the things I loved about WDW had gone away. The Penny Arcade and Magic Shop were gone from Main Street. The Tiki Room was Under New Management (shudder). Horizons had been replaced by Mission: Space. JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION had been utterly destroyed. Captain Jack had invaded Pirates. Things were still good, but... off.

That brings us to now. It's been twelve years since I've been able to go to WDW. I've gone through a divorce, major traumatic life events, getting remarried, gaining two amazing stepsons, two big career changes, and the death of both of my parents and my grandmother. Needless to say, life hit me pretty hard and I feel very lucky to have bounced back and found myself in a good place again. During the intervening years, I desperately wished I could go back to WDW, but it simply wasn't in the cards. Twice in the past few years, my wife and I planned trips there and twice they were canceled because of unexpected life events.

This time, we got to go.

That's a lot of set-up, I know. I just wanted folks to have some background on my deep love for and experience with WDW so that when I start in full speed tomorrow, you can know from whence my opinions grew. I'm going to be brutally honest. There were things that caught me by surprise at how wonderful they were and other things that, I truly feel, are major, major, issues that Disney will need to contend with in the coming years if they are to continue to prosper. The gloves are off and the filters are down. Don't worry. Future posts will have plenty of pictures. :)

Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride vehicle at all times and make sure that your safety belt is securely fastened. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

...to be continued

ThemedScream

Wow, this should be interesting! Great introduction. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts/opinions, as well as hearing about what your wife thought. I'm planning my first trip back since 2010, and I'm taking my partner of 5 years who will be a first-timer, and I can't deny that I'm a bit anxious about finding some of that luster gone. But those thoughts are fleeting, and mostly I'm just insanely excited to finally share the place that means so much to me. I'm sure you can understand! Very glad you guys finally got to take your vacation, and I can't wait to hear all about it.

geekza

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Day 1: 11/17/18

Well, Day 0.5 and Day 1.

2018-11-16 07.37.59sm.jpg

This is my wife, Jen, and myself, Brian. You have a pretty good idea of where I'm coming from, based upon my initial post. Jen? She had never been to WDW. Whenever we talked to friends about preparing for our trip, they would almost always drop their jaws when they learned that Jen had spent over four decades within reasonable driving distance of WDW and had never gone. They were even more shocked to learn that she knew absolutely nothing about WDW, save for what she had seen in commercials or through friends' photos. She knew it was supposed to be something pretty grand, but, in her mind, she had been to King's Island and Busch Gardens, so how different could WDW be? She enjoys Disney films and, of course, grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney from time-to-time, but she isn't the type of person to wear polka dots and mouse ears. Living with me for the past five years, she was well-aware of my obsession with all things Disney, especially the parks. She didn't understand my constant watching of @marni1971 tribute videos and my Disney Treasures DVD's, but she knew it was important to me and still loves me.

As I mentioned previously, we had attempted two trips to WDW in the past few years, both of which had to be scrapped several months before our intended getaway. This past spring, my stepson's grandmother let Jen know that she would like to take the boys to WDW over Thanksgiving along with their aunt, uncle, and cousins. We initially had just planned to drive the boys down to Charlotte to meet up with them and then come home. Jen got to thinking, though, that it didn't make much sense to have to go to all that trouble and not take the opportunity to go down ourselves. My Mom had recently passed and had left me some money. Before she passed, she had mentioned several times that she wished that Jen and I could get away somewhere together. Although we've been together for almost seven years, we've never had the opportunity to take a trip together; not even a Honeymoon. Work, lack of funds, and taking care of busy teenage boys had just made it impossible. This was our chance. We'd drive down to WDW, take the boys to their family's hotel, and then spend the week by ourselves at another resort.

Once it was decided, I got to work. We got our tickets and hotel squared away right off the bat and I started my homework. I knew that things had changed since the last time I had been down there and also from the research and planning I did for our previous two aborted trips. I hopped back onto these boards and started joining in the conversations. I wasn't going to let anything important go awry in the planning. At the six-month mark, I got on my computer at 7am to score Be Our Guest reservations. Sixty days out, I was up early again to make FastPass reservations. I made every kind of touring plan imaginable over at TouringPlans, constantly moving things about in order to try and make the best plans possible that would ensure that I got to show Jen as much of the things that I love about WDW as possible in the time we had.

By the time the day of our departure arrived, I was exhausted. Exhausted, but satisfied that I had done as much preparation as I could and just had to let things happen as they would. I was ready.

2018-11-16 07.36.33sm.jpg

We may have packed a few things.

When we drove up into the mountains (I'm from WV), they had gotten an ice storm the night before. The roads were clear, but as you can see from the pics below, the trees were heavy from the weight of the ice and snow and power was out in many of the surrounding towns.

2018-11-16 09.19.45-1sm.jpg

2018-11-16 09.20.20sm.jpg

Once we got into VA and continued south, though, things started to warm up and we made good time. We spent the night in Columbia, SC with some friends of mine and got up bright and early to finish our trip to Orlando.

We ended up having to take an alternate route, once we got into FL, because of some accidents and roadwork on I-4, so by the time we got to WDW, we were zonked. We dropped the boys off at All Star Sports, where they would be staying, and then went over to Port Orleans: French Quarter. I had stayed there before, as I mentioned, and loved the place. I had also done my due diligence and used TouringPlans' room finder to try and find what I thought was the perfect room. (I swear I don't work for them, but that site turned out to be a life-saver on this trip.) I had faxed over a room request a few days before and ended up getting the exact room I had requested. All of their rooms had been recently refurbished and were really nice. We got a corner room, right on the Sassagoula. The views from our window were just lovely.

2018-11-17 16.33.04sm.jpg

2018-11-17 16.33.51sm.jpg

2018-11-17 16.34.25sm.jpg
2018-11-17 16.55.58sm.jpg

After getting unpacked, it had grown dark and we decided to take the boat over to Disney Springs to check it out. I had been over there, both during the Pleasure Isle days and the Downtown Disney days, but great googly moogly had it grown! I only have one pic that I took that evening.

2018-11-17 18.04.10sm.jpg

Why did I only get one picture? The crowds. Oh, the crowds.

I had expected larger crowds than I had experienced in past visits, but this was on a whole different level of size. It was wall-to-wall humanity. We did the best we could to make our way through, but my nighttime vision has diminished and I suffer from pretty bad anxiety in large crowds and strange places. I was having to be led around by Jen. She's pretty petite, so she could barely see where she was going because of the crush of people.

We made our way over to the PhotoPass building to get out of the throng. The line wasn't too long, but it would have been shorter had it not been for the woman in front of us who was insisting that all four of her small children have a zillion photos taken of them in every pose imaginable. The youngest was probably 18 months or so and was not having any of it. We're talking screams and tears. Periodically, the mother would whip the kid up, pop out her mammalian organ, give the kid a drink in hopes of quieting her down, and set her back in front of the camera, where the child would immediately start crying again. This went on for about twenty minutes. Some folks behind us gave up and left. I have to give major props to both the photographer and the other Cast Member who was working the line. They were both incredibly patient. The line monitor came over and, knowing that this was taking a while, chatted my wife and I up about where we were from, etc. She was great. This was the first of the many encounters we had with Cast Members who knew their jobs well and made every attempt to make us feel welcome. For all of the posts I've seen here with people complaining about how the quality of Cast Members has declined, I can only say that this was not our experience. There were one or two during the whole week who were maybe not the best, but that was it. The rest were golden and reminded me of the huge difference between the staff at other theme parks and at WDW.

The "Instagram Mom" and her brood finally finished their extended fashion shoot and we had our chance. It was quick, without feeling rushed, and the photographer was a hoot. I really like these shots, though I wonder just how old that Main Street background was, because it hasn't looked like that in years.

20181117_414521094124sm.jpg

...continued in next post

Last edited:

geekza

Original Poster
Disney Springs Photopass pics cont.

20181117_414521094136sm.jpg

20181117_414521094141sm.jpg

20181117_414521094147sm.jpg

What is funny is that we had no idea what the backgrounds would be and just posed like the photographer asked.

Once we finished with that, we were pretty hungry, so we decided to try and find some quick-service place where we could grab some food. It wasn't going to happen. There were just too many people and we would have been waiting in line for an hour, only to have no place to sit and eat once we actually got our food. The crowds and our travel exhaustion finally got the best of us and we decided just to head back to the resort and grab some food from the food court. Thankfully, the boat ride back was relaxing and the food court wasn't crowded. We both got some Jambalaya, which wasn't bad, but definitely tasted like it had been sitting for a while. Also, it was the first of many occasions where we thought we'd be getting a little spice in our food, but discovered that Disney tends to make traditionally-spicy foods pretty bland in order to appeal to those without broad palates. I tried not to look at the receipt, but I couldn't help but think that it was pretty outrageous for the quality of the food we received. Sadly, that was the rule for this trip, rather than the exception. We did have some fantastic food, but that came later.

When we finished eating, we were both wiped out and decided to call it a night. The next day would take us to the Magic Kingdom for the first time and my plans involved a very early start.

...to be continued

geekza

Original Poster
I'm hooked already!!
Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

The photos from your drive look incredible. I live in Australia, and have never seen snow, so a huge difference to what i have ever seen!! AMAZING!
Yeah, as much as West Virginia gets a bad rap because of misplaced Hillbilly stereotypes and our outdated mining industry, it truly has a lot of natural beauty. I live near Charleston, the capitol, and it's in a part of the state without too many big mountains. I took my son, who lives in Texas, on a road trip last summer to the mountainous region of the state and we were both bowled over at how beautiful it was. It had been many years since I had traveled there and it was a wonderful reminder of one of the reasons I love living here, warts and all. It would be a long trip for you, but if you're ever in this part of the U.S., come visit!

imahistorygeek

Yeah, as much as West Virginia gets a bad rap because of misplaced Hillbilly stereotypes and our outdated mining industry, it truly has a lot of natural beauty.

Being from Georgia, the stereotypes are known here as well. We drove through West Virginia many years ago on our way to Pennsylvania and I was amazed at the beautiful scenery. We have a lot of beautiful places in Georgia, but WV is stunning.

geekza

Original Poster
Being from Georgia, the stereotypes are known here as well. We drove through West Virginia many years ago on our way to Pennsylvania and I was amazed at the beautiful scenery. We have a lot of beautiful places in Georgia, but WV is stunning.
We visited family in Georgia for Thanksgiving a couple of years back. I absolutely loved what I saw of the state!

geekza

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. I had lots of pics to go through and have been busy with work and other life stuff. Better late than never!

Day 2: 11/18/18

I didn't sleep much. I knew that this could, in all likelihood, be my last visit to WDW and I was excited for our first day in the parks. What I didn't expect was to turn on the lights and see one of the largest cockroaches I'd ever seen scamper away behind the sink. At first, I was a little freaked out, but then I got to thinking that I was in Florida, in the swamp, in a room next to water. There's no way on Earth that they could keep every single critter away. Everything was otherwise so clean, that I chalked it up to a random occurrence. It was. I didn't see another bug the entire week.

There was some discussion in a post on these boards before I left as to the best way to get to the parks from our resort. In the end, we drove most of the time, for reasons I'll cover in a subsequent post. This first morning, however, I had already decided to drive to the TTC. Look, I'm old and a bit of a WDW purist. Since Jen had never been to the parks, I wanted her first experience seeing the Magic Kingdom to be from the Monorail. It was an intentional decision by the designers of the park to have the parking area far enough away from the front of the park so that there is a literal sense of departing the "real world" and traveling to someplace that was magical and beautiful. I remember how powerful it was, even as a child, to arrive at the Magic Kingdom.

4ac10c5f8f8e45899fa414f808c89c47.jpeg

We knew that the park would be busy that day, as it was literally Mickey's 90th Birthday, so we arrived at the TTC bright and early and got a parking space really close to the front. The TTC really needs some work. It's so sterile and industrial in appearance. Bag check went quickly, as did going through the metal detector. We walked up to the Express Monorail ramp and were in the first group that they were taking over. It wasn't a huge crowd, since it was about an hour before the park was due to open.

9753712a39d24762960413e04967d66e.jpeg

I have to hand it to the folks who planned out the monorail trip. The experience still works like a charm on first-time visitors. When we passed through the Contemporary, Jen's jaw dropped. She hadn't expected it. Seeing the Grand Concourse and the Mary Blair mural blew her away. We soon arrived at the front of the Magic Kingdom. All of the Christmas Decorations had been out for week or so, and the view of the front of the train station, with the Castle peeking out behind it was amazing. My excitement was through the roof. I quickly realized that the empty parking lot and small crowd at the TTC was an illusion. Most folks who stay at Disney resorts take other transportation and the crowd to go through the turnstiles was huge. It moved pretty quickly, though, and we made our way through the tunnel and onto Main Street. I'd never been to WDW during the Christmas season, so seeing all of the decorations for the first time was a real thrill. I know that some have complained that they don't have a live tree, but there's no way they could make a live tree of that size last for the whole season. I thought the tree they used was quite lovely.

2018-11-18 08.32.22.jpg

7d6cccfea58a4be29dbaabd536b6b419.jpeg

I had wanted to get one of the special commemorative buttons they were handing out that day for Mickey's 90th, but the line was out the door of City Hall. Since our time was limited and I wanted to make sure and get where we needed to be for Rope Drop, I decided to try later in the day.

The line to get a photo in front of the tree wasn't too bad, so we stopped for a photo. I had hoped to get as many PhotoPass pics as I could, considering the cost of it. Sadly, the short wait for our tree photo was in no way indicative of what we would see throughout the rest of the week.

MK_TSHOLIDAY_20181118_414528099698.jpg

We headed up Main Street. It was crowded, but not too crazy... yet. I had eschewed making coffee in the room, since Jen said she felt like, since we were getting to the park so early, we'd have time to get some Starbucks on Main Street. I had my doubts, which turned out to be correct. There was a huge line outside of Starbucks. I just figured I'd let my excitement and adrenaline carry me through the morning.

The line to get a Castle photo was much longer than the tree one, so I took a quick selfie and slipped past the crowd that was amassing in front of the Castle for the opening show.

2f9050fc6cdf4b69ab72158e5e83ef7e.jpeg

4bd024fc63504af1b336be9b40fd93c6.jpeg

We headed towards the entrance to Liberty Square so that we could hopefully get to Big Thunder Mountain at rope drop, since we didn't have a FastPass. That morning had an upcharge event, so a few people were already walking past the ropes. Since I was aware of these, it didn't bother me, but there were several in the crowd who were voicing their displeasure over the fact that some didn't have to wait for the official opening. I suspect the Cast Members have to deal with that on a regular basis.

2018-11-18 08.45.04.jpg

Meanwhile, the crowd in front of the Castle continued to swell.

d089067076724920b6ebd0537a32c62c.jpeg

It was an omen of things to come. I held onto Jen's hand, as she's petite and there was a very real chance of us getting separated at rope drop. Finally, the time came. Mickey and the Parade of Princesses, etc. came out to do the opening show, which had a few lines added mentioning that it was Mickey's Birthday. The Fairy Godmother "cast her spell," the fireworks launched and we were off. That's when the madness began.

...to be continued

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom