A new Space Mountain for WDW

imagineer boy

Well, the Space Mtn. in DL and WDW don't need a Juels Vern theme. They can still have a launch, but it doesn't have to be From the Earth to the Moon themed. The launch could greatly simulate the launch more.

EchoOfOphelia

I love Space Mountain as it is. It was always a great ride because little kids can actually go on this roller coaster, where most you've gotta be almost a teenager to fit the height requirements. Kids like thrill rides too.. I certainly did. I wouldn't mind if they just replaced the track, maybe it would make for a smoother ride, but I won't support anything that would take away from it's kid-friendly nature.

bhg469

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Well, the Space Mtn. in DL and WDW don't need a Juels Vern theme. They can still have a launch, but it doesn't have to be From the Earth to the Moon themed. The launch could greatly simulate the launch more.

but still i would love to see a whole seperate ride wth the theme from one of his stories. journey to the center of the earth at disney sea is exactly what WDW could use or was taht a voyage, whichever

Imagine20

ive have the chance to ride both space mountains ( dl and wdw) recently, as well as the one in paris. Im not a big rollercoaster fan, but i can appreciate what the one in florida is. The one in california is boring and not well done. The ride itself isn't even that thrilling, and i'm scared of the mildest rides! I think that if disney is smart, they won't change the one in florida for one reason-- the reason that Epcot and Tomorrowland have always had problems is obviously b/c its so hard to keep a "future" park really ahead of itself. SM in florida is brilliant in its design-- its "funky" future-- Does anyone know what i mean? It's sort of retro I think, and a lot of fun. Maybe I don't know how to explain it... but i'm sure anyone whos been on the ride knows what i mean! No matter how futuristic they may try to make the rest of tomorrowland, Space Mountain will just stay the same. It does a nice job of balancing that "future" image with something that won't ever be out of date.

mstarfishee

Space Mountain should be left as it is! It's a WDW classic and should be kept that way. Besides, I do LOVE Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but, I can't imagine Space Mountain being done like that, part of what you expect when you get on SM is the sound of the tracks, it wouldn't be right to ride it and not hear that! So, as someone else said...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!:)

wizard12

I think that DL's is pretty old compared to DW. They probably (if they do change it) will do it a long time later. Maybe 10-15 years or so. It is a good ride but ya, it could use some fix-ups on it.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by wizard12
I think that DL's is pretty old compared to DW. They probably (if they do change it) will do it a long time later. Maybe 10-15 years or so. It is a good ride but ya, it could use some fix-ups on it.

Actually, DL's is the newer of the two. WDW's opened in 1975. DL's opened in 1977 and it is a noticeably smoother ride. WDW's is more like the Matterhorn.

wizard12

Originally posted by Merlin
Actually, DL's is the newer of the two. WDW's opened in 1975. DL's opened in 1977 and it is a noticeably smoother ride. WDW's is more like the Matterhorn.

Well, I now know that. I guess DL is trying to make everything look better for 50th anniversary. DW could do some things to SM but it still is very fun and a good ride.

Nightwing

How do we know Intamin is doing the ride at DL? Was there an article about it somewhere? I think the ride should pretty much stay the same, just add more special effects and lose the beams that make it seem like you have to duck or lose your head:sohappy:

SpaceMountainUK

Hong Kong SM

Um i belive the SM in hong kong will be closer to SM in DLP than a clone of the new DL version. Tim Delaney has designed this version. He is the imagineer who designed the whole of DLP Discoveryland and cheif Imagineer for SM-From the Earth to the Moon, so expect something great, as he did an amazing job in paris. The new DL version sounds nothing like the new hong kong one.

This from the press release

Space Mountain:
Looming as a powerful backdrop and icon for Tomorrowland stands Space Mountain. Here guests have the opportunity to travel and experience the wonders of the cosmos. Guests will start their journey by traveling through several portals with stars, planets, orbits and flight information to prepare them for their adventure.

The Launch Port is a type of observatory and planetarium where guests board rockets to an outer space destination. Through a warp-speed adventure to the far reaches of the Universe and back, guests encounter the spectacular beauty and dangers of space, from a wormhole to a meteor shower. Numerous surprises and near misses fill the high-speed rocket journey before guests return safely home.

“Space Mountain utilizes the latest Disney technology and special effects creating unique experiences only found at Hong Kong Disneyland,” said Delaney. “We have redesigned this Space Mountain adventure to take advantage of the advancements made in technology to create more realistic and fantastic experiences in space.”

Glasgow

I'd rather see the money go towards a new project (like Indiana Jones in AK) than to a rehab that would just be a "desire". Or put something new into the 20k leagues space

Bayou_Tigerfan

I had to check myself for bruises after riding SM in WDW in December. That ride needs a major rehab -- it really wasn't any fun, which was disappointing because SM was THE ride for me as a child.

I think this is touchy subject. Lord knows if they touch anything in the Magic Kingdom, there will be some uproar about how Disney is messing with nostalgia. Yet when disney does nothing, the very same people complain that disney isn't the same any more. I say rehab the mountain, and put a lil more money into the deeper parts of the park. Perhaps another E-Ticket in the back, draw people into the deep recesses of the Kingdom.

GrumpysGal

I really like this post! And I wanted to add something I experienced different 2 weeks ago on Space Mountain. Actually just 2 things...

Now, I visit WDW many times a year and God only knows how many times I have ridden SM in my life, however I have the strongest feeling that they made SM just a tab bit faster recently since the last time I rode it, which was last July! It was much faster (I'd say maybe 3 times faster) And it was a lot bumpier too. This was the left side.

I don't know if any other people notice as well, but by comparing the left and right side of the ride, the left side is way faster than the right side. I have come to this conclusion after riding it so many times.

The other thing I noticed were the TV screens. They have had TV screens to watch "Space News", I guess for entertainment while you wait, for some time. Last summer I noticed Mario Lopez (the actor) in it and since I am a big fan of his, this time I was prepared to take a picture of him on the screen. (I maintain a website dedicated to him, as well as the other former actors of the series "Saved by the Bell". For those wondering, why? LOL) Anyways, they took down the TV screens! They are not there anymore. There is only 1, which is located right before you enter the entrance to ride SM inside. But I couldn't catch if he was on because the line was moving quickly.

I just thought I would share this.

As for the changes, I like SM the way it is. I was thinking to myself recently, and I thought the "bumpiness" of the ride suits it well. You are supposed to be on a "Space Mountain" and what kind of mountain would it be if it were smooth, even in space!?Does anyone else agree? LOL :hammer:

My two cents... :lol:

*Erika*

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by GrumpysGal
I really like this post! And I wanted to add something I experienced different 2 weeks ago on Space Mountain. Actually just 2 things...

Now, I visit WDW many times a year and God only knows how many times I have ridden SM in my life, however I have the strongest feeling that they made SM just a tab bit faster recently since the last time I rode it, which was last July! It was much faster (I'd say maybe 3 times faster) And it was a lot bumpier too. This was the left side.

I don't know if any other people notice as well, but by comparing the left and right side of the ride, the left side is way faster than the right side. I have come to this conclusion after riding it so many times.

The other thing I noticed were the TV screens. They have had TV screens to watch "Space News", I guess for entertainment while you wait, for some time. Last summer I noticed Mario Lopez (the actor) in it and since I am a big fan of his, this time I was prepared to take a picture of him on the screen. (I maintain a website dedicated to him, as well as the other former actors of the series "Saved by the Bell". For those wondering, why? LOL) Anyways, they took down the TV screens! They are not there anymore. There is only 1, which is located right before you enter the entrance to ride SM inside. But I couldn't catch if he was on because the line was moving quickly.

I just thought I would share this.

As for the changes, I like SM the way it is. I was thinking to myself recently, and I thought the "bumpiness" of the ride suits it well. You are supposed to be on a "Space Mountain" and what kind of mountain would it be if it were smooth, even in space!?Does anyone else agree? LOL :hammer:

My two cents... :lol:

*Erika*

Since you asked, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you here. I don't think it should be a bumpy ride. There's just something about it being a space ride that seems like it should be smooth and sleek. By comparison, the one at DL is a MUCH smoother ride. In fact, Space Mountain at WDW is more like the Matterhorn. And as was stated on an earlier post, I too have literally had to check for bruises after riding it (no joke). I think when it gets to that point, it is no longer a "fun" bumpiness.

Dizknee_Phreek

I certainly hope they never change it! at least as long as i'm in the condition to ride it :D as others have stated, it's a classic...and best of all, a classic in pretty darn good shape! besides, we need SOMETHING preserved in Tomorrowland!

mickhyperion

Originally posted by GrumpysGal
...I have the strongest feeling that they made SM just a tab bit faster recently since the last time I rode it, which was last July! It was much faster (I'd say maybe 3 times faster) And it was a lot bumpier too. This was the left side.

Strange that I was there both two weeks ago and in July also. :) I agree that Space Mountain seemed much faster this time. Really though, I thought it was surprisingly slow back in July so it seemed about right this time. I didn't like it last July and rode it several times on both sides. This time it was great on either side. I think it feels bumpier when its slower.

The other thing I noticed were the TV screens. They have had TV screens to watch "Space News", I guess for entertainment while you wait, for some time... they took down the TV screens! They are not there anymore...

I think those were related to the FedEx sponsorship and were removed when that deal ended. I noticed all other mentions of FedEx were gone as well, even along the TTA route.

GrumpysGal

Originally posted by mickhyperion
Strange that I was there both two weeks ago and in July also. :) I agree that Space Mountain seemed much faster this time. Really though, I thought it was surprisingly slow back in July so it seemed about right this time. I didn't like it last July and rode it several times on both sides. This time it was great on either side. I think it feels bumpier when its slower.

Wow! What a coincedence, LOL. Actually, I think it feels a lot bumpier when it's faster. LOL I guess we all have our own opinions about it. Though, I love SPACE MOUNTAIN! It's so much fun.

I think those were related to the FedEx sponsorship and were removed when that deal ended. I noticed all other mentions of FedEx were gone as well, even along the TTA route.

Thank you for the information. You just may be right. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom