A new park/resort in north GA?

mickeysaver

Original Poster
Please move this if it's in the wrong forum. A coworker is telling me that somewhere in or near the area known as Social Circle here in the north GA that Disney is working on building a park or a new resort. She was really sketchy on the details, but there is supposed to be some big buzz in the area about it.

Does anyone here have any idea if this is for real or not? I can't find a thing online or in the papers to back up her claims. I really doubt that it's a park. But, the idea of a new DVC resort sounds possible. Just curious. Maggie

CoffeeJedi

if they were planning on a new park ANYWHERE in the world, we would have heard about it. even if it was just a rumor, it would have been all over sites like this one and Jim Hill. remember the buzz before Hong Kong Disneyland opened?
also Northern GA is too close to WDW to build another park, that section of the country is covered

is this area of GA on the coast? maybe they're planning another beachfront resort similiar to the Vero Beach property

napnet

No... Social Circle is out in the middle of no where Georgia... i'd highly highly highly doubt a park or resort would be built there

brettman35

napnet said:
No... Social Circle is out in the middle of no where Georgia... i'd highly highly highly doubt a park or resort would be built there

then again, disney world used to be middle of no where Florida...

DocMcHulk

To me, the west is covered with Disneyland and the East is covered with Disney World. If anything, they would be smart by placing oen in the Midwest... FAR suburbs of Chicago, St. Louis, KC, or Des Moines (if they want to replicated hat they did with Orlando). Another southeast park wouldnt make much sense. Even the midwest idea isn't all the great because of winer weather. So, it ould have to be in the souther part of the midwest. At that point, why not just make people drive the extra 5 hours or fly the extra hour to one of the other parks?

napnet

brettman35 said:
then again, disney world used to be middle of no where Florida...

Yes, but it wasnt 300 miles to one of the largest theme parks in the world... Even if Disney buys land there, it is probably for investment, tax or other reasons.

JROK

Didn't Disney talk about Globalization and World domination lately? Why would they build another park in a completely new area of the U.S. when they already have that area covered? There's no Disney in South America, Australia, Africa or Antartica yet, so until those bases are covered, I don't see a Disney park in Georgia happening...

Lee

Adventurer
mickeysaver said:
A coworker is telling me that somewhere in or near the area known as Social Circle here in the north GA that Disney is working on building a park or a new resort.

Not now...not ever. Sorry.

Pongo

JROK said:
Didn't Disney talk about Globalization and World domination lately? Why would they build another park in a completely new area of the U.S. when they already have that area covered? There's no Disney in South America, Australia, Africa or Antartica yet, so until those bases are covered, I don't see a Disney park in Georgia happening...

Yeah. We'll probably get a Lunar Disneyland before we ever get a Georgia Disneyland.

Testtrack321

Right after they're done with the park in Texas, VA, New York, etc.

Disney has said no new parks anytime soon in North America. There's money in other places now.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Oh man I would be there every weekend!!

THINK ABOUT IT MAN!!!!

Disney ® over Georgia!! ®®®

Disney's ® Goliath!!! ®®

Disney's ® Superdude! ®®

Disney's ® Ninja! ®®

Disney's ® Georgia Scorcher! ®®

Disney's ® Batdude! ®®

Disney's ® ACROPHOBIA ! ®®

EDIT: I forgot to add the tradmark symbols!

I found this in another thread.....I'm not quite sure how the quotes thingys work, so I'm just cutting and pasting....

Q: As you discuss globalization you seem to suggest that the domestic theme park market may have limited growth potential right now. Is it saturating?

A: Well, I don't really mean to suggest that. At the moment, we don't have plans on the drawing boards to build what I would call new parks in the United States. We certainly have plans, and the desire, and the ability to expand what we currently have. Today [with the grand opening of Expedition Everest] is a good example of that. The building going on for our vacation club is another great example of that. There is a list of concepts either in the dreaming phase or on the drawing board that will fuel both this facility and the one in California for many years to come. So growth is far from over. ..... The other thing we're doing is we're expanding other concepts beyond the theme park concept. The cruise ship is a good example of that. Adventures by Disney is another good example of that. There will probably be more of that.

There's a good answer I suppose...they also were interested in buying property up in Pennsylvania a couple years ago near two sky resorts, but they never did that either.

Mecha Figment

this just sounds like the the typical Disney is building a park or opening a resort in my back yard rumor that somebody starts in a small town and all the women gosip it across untill it's taken as fact. happens all the time. all over the country. f

New2WDW

mickeysaver said:
Please move this if it's in the wrong forum. A coworker is telling me that somewhere in or near the area known as Social Circle here in the north GA that Disney is working on building a park or a new resort. She was really sketchy on the details, but there is supposed to be some big buzz in the area about it.

Does anyone here have any idea if this is for real or not? I can't find a thing online or in the papers to back up her claims. I really doubt that it's a park. But, the idea of a new DVC resort sounds possible. Just curious. Maggie

Tis' something to this. I posted a while back that a large portion of the above mentioned area was indeed purchased by Disney. Social Circle is not North Georgia thou! It is South and East of Atlanta and yes I have been looking into this and have found no further evidence other than a person telling me that land had been purchased from them to add to the acreage. If I hear or find out any more I will certainly post it. Park - I doubt, but Resort maybe. Let us not forget how WDW originally was purchased: as small land aquistions with separate realty so that no one would find out what Walt was doing until he had all of it wrapped up together - thus keeping the price down and getting a great deal!

Just to add a thought! Maybe GA is a back up location for WDW when these hurricanes really take a toll on FLA?:lookaroun

napnet

New2WDW said:
Tis' something to this. I posted a while back that a large portion of the above mentioned area was indeed purchased by Disney.

What county? Easiest way to debunk or prove this would be to look up any purchases of properties in the tax rolls.

gamerboy255

They were planning to build one it was supposed to be history themed but, they wouldnt let them because they said it would bring in too much crowds and traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom