Trip Report A New Hope, A New Day *COMPLETED*

That’s not a Star Wars reference.

Longtime readers of my trip reports know Star Wars isn’t my thing (although I immensely enjoy Rise of the Resistance.)

Fireworks are my thing. 💥 Like a moth to a flame, I am instinctively drawn to bursts of brilliant sparkles and colors in the sky. Just ask my family how quickly I’ve stopped whatever I’m doing to find the source of nighttime booms! I have serious fireworks FOMO.

Disney fireworks....especially Magic Kingdom fireworks....always flood me with nostalgia, happy memories and hope. After a long pandemic year, I know I am not alone in my yearning for hope of better days ahead.

Every step we take
Brings a new hope
A new day

The return of Disney fireworks, for me, is a sign that things are improving. Hooray!!

But there won’t be any pyro on my upcoming trip. And that’s ok. This vacation was booked with the assumption there would be no nighttime entertainment. (However when rumors began to suggest fireworks in July…..well let’s just say there might be another reservation in MDE for us.)

Who’s us?

877B7809-2BB7-4CEE-A5F3-9DB3FA569FE9.jpeg

Mother/daughter travel buddies, Tuvalu and Em. We last visited together in early April. We were there the day the mask mandate was dropped for stationary pictures.

Today the mask mandate for all those vaccinated has been suspended and we couldn’t be happier! We won’t have to be shrouded in a daft disguise again this summer! 😉

I am not planning to do a full live report but may post a daily update. I’ll fill in the details when our vacation is over.

T-minus 3 days.
June 19 - 26, 2021
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Will any other Magicians make an appearance? Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
When Em arrived at the pool we spent about an hour in the water. The sun did not make an appearance until lunchtime and even then it was only a brief tease.

We mobile ordered from Geyser Point.

0F51F821-7C60-4AA9-BA55-47464F261796.jpeg

Later in the week a CM (or two) would walk the pool area and take orders for food and drinks. Glad to that see poolside has service returned and was not a permanent cut.

Meanwhile I picked up lunch and brought it back to a table where Em was waiting. She had the bison burger, which wasn’t as good as she remembered.

FDAC5C12-6A31-4230-B3D3-70D8098EF056.jpeg

I ordered the kids finger food meal (which I wish would come in adult size) and it was missing two items that were listed in the description. The same thing happened last year too. There was no one to complain to, since the pick up area is not staffed and the kitchen is out of view.

E4851663-A023-4B93-9F42-9987800B5B76.jpeg

My meal was yummy though.

We stayed at the pool a little longer before returning to our room to shower and prepare for our afternoon adventure.

slipperalwaysfits

Em makes out fine using her sling back, you should too.
Yay! I'm very relieved about this and am eagerly counting down at this point, probably like @riverside
Why was the stream bed dry? WDW was not in a drought.
Maybe a pump is broken? That is odd, though.
I ordered the kids finger food meal (which I wish would come in adult size) and it was missing two items that were listed in the description. The same thing happened last year too
What a bummer that it was missing your items and you couldn't even ask for them!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Meanwhile I picked up lunch and brought it back to a table where Em was waiting. She had the bison burger, which wasn’t as good as she remembered.
I would have thought that a bison burger might be a bit too dry, considering how lean it is. (I only use bison in meatloaf, for example.) Interesting that Em liked her (previous) experience with bison burgers.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The bells were back outside the arcade and I made Em ring one.

ED617888-348A-4BDC-B491-69D5B55E2BEE.jpeg

Hmmm…..no arrival times listed for the bus. That can’t be good.

D5246D6A-BA51-4FCF-B88D-12CE6055EF90.jpeg

We sat down on a bench and waited….and waited….and waited.

7BE85F91-B6D3-4E70-839A-978FBF4BA9C4.jpeg

Thirty minutes later the bus finally came. We had a #ShirleyStatus ride, but would have preferred boarding an earlier bus with other people.

A84112B5-27E7-4B34-AC9F-C3EBDAB29FAF.jpeg

Look ma, no seat dividers!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our #ShirleyStatus ended once we entered the Epcot parking lot. Instead of being dropped off at the area closest to the entrance, our driver made us disembark in the off-property bus section ~ which is past the gate for Pop Century. (Those who have stayed at Pop can relate to how far this is.)

Brave or terrified squirrel?

2F3D7CBF-4AE5-4748-A65A-76F1D87D134D.jpeg

How pleasant it was to approach the entrance now minus the temperature screening tents.

71BBC6C5-0145-4A5F-A52F-9093DEFB7BD5.jpeg

Epcot used to be THE WORST park to get through security. Always overcrowded and so SLOW. The new scanners make screening a breeze and are worth every penny!

In mere moments we were inside the park.

39F290CC-0863-4EE3-B9B7-2DDF82433D83.jpeg

MickeyCB

The new room thermostat shuts off when it doesn’t detect motion in the room. I set it at 70 degrees before bed and would awaken hot in the middle of the night and discover the room temperature was now 74 degrees. :mad: The thermostat is located next to the entry door, not in the main area where people are moving…even as they sleep.
I read a little hack somewhere that if you buy a balloon (smart Disney), and tie it somewhere near the thermostat, as it floats around it will trigger the sensors. Don't have any idea if it works but not a bad idea to try.🤷‍♀️
Playful spooks halted our doombuggy above the banquet hall. I have always wanted to be stopped here and enjoyed the extra minute or two to take it all in.

54E40E19-A3DF-4554-AB0B-226825D7B6DF.jpeg
Life goals!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our first destination might seem a bit unusual.

1BDEEF24-0EE3-4A02-BD3A-9864F53DB5CA.jpeg

Woody and I had visited this attraction back in November and really enjoyed it. Em wanted to see it on our spring break trip but it didn’t happen. Thus we made it priority #1 today.

We had #ShirleyStatus in the waiting area for several minutes.

4D65A30D-A9BE-4ADE-B01D-C63C1150B53A.jpeg

Em took notice of all the carpeting and remarked, “Do you think they vacuum the walls in here?”

Maybe the attraction should be sponsored by Dyson.

More guests arrived and the waiting area became standing room only. Oh, except for the lady who awkwardly squeezed herself next to me on the bench where Em and I were sitting. Personal space in a pandemic was obviously not a concern for her.

We made sure to have breathing room in the theater.

9D422B30-946D-47CA-B783-ABFB58A83F6A.jpeg

Em thought the short film was well done. If you like Phil Dunphy, you’ll get a kick out of it.

Modern Family Ok GIF

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I read a little hack somewhere that if you buy a balloon (smart Disney), and tie it somewhere near the thermostat, as it floats around it will trigger the sensors. Don't have any idea if it works but not a bad idea to try.🤷‍♀️
The problem with that hack is that the thermostat is next to the door in the entry hall and there is nothing on which to tie a balloon.

37858C82-5799-4C3E-ADF1-89B0DD7298CF.jpeg

There’s probably a hack to override the thermostat itself. I need to do some research before my next stay.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The problem with that hack is that the thermostat is next to the door in the entry hall and there is nothing on which to tie a balloon.

View attachment 569751

There’s probably a hack to override the thermostat itself. I need to do some research before my next stay.
Did your hotel have a folded up ironing board in the closet? If so, I was thinking that "maybe" that could be (in the folded up position for height) placed up against the wall in the entry hall. Then, with a long enough string (to add more height) -- perhaps the helium balloon could be hung up from that? Just a thought only.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did your hotel have a folded up ironing board in the closet? If so, I was thinking that "maybe" that could be (in the folded up position for height) placed up against the wall in the entry hall. Then, with a long enough string (to add more height) -- perhaps the helium balloon could be hung up from that? Just a thought only.
Funny you should mention an ironing board as I noticed one was conspicuously absent in the closet.

(I circled the thermostat)
E2345F93-3519-4816-9702-1C6F17FC1DF4.jpeg

However the item circled below in the padded case was marked “iron”. I never opened it so cannot say for sure, but perhaps there is a folded pad in the case that substitutes for an ironing board?

3CFF40B6-A32E-48AA-9230-ED4535F8A16C.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Funny you should mention an ironing board as I noticed one was conspicuously absent in the closet.

(I circled the thermostat)
View attachment 569778

However the item circled below in the padded case was marked “iron”. I never opened it so cannot say for sure, but perhaps there is a folded pad in the case that substitutes for an ironing board?

View attachment 569777
O.k. How about the luggage rack -- but. you'd still need a bit longer string (you could always, from now on, bring some extra string in your suitcase). Or, perhaps use the luggage rack and put a suitcase upright on top of it -- and tie the balloon to the top of the suitcase, assuming the top of the suitcase has a handle. I think that might raise the balloon high enough.

Songbird76

O.k. How about the luggage rack -- but. you'd still need a bit longer string (you could always, from now on, bring some extra string in your suitcase). Or, perhaps use the luggage rack and put a suitcase upright on top of it -- and tie the balloon to the top of the suitcase, assuming the top of the suitcase has a handle. I think that might raise the balloon high enough.
I would tie it to one of the hinges of the closet door. It's right next to the thermostat and if you tie it to one of the top hinges, it would float above your head and wouldn't be in your way.

riverside

The bells were back outside the arcade and I made Em ring one.

View attachment 569738

Hmmm…..no arrival times listed for the bus. That can’t be good.

View attachment 569739

We sat down on a bench and waited….and waited….and waited.

View attachment 569740

Thirty minutes later the bus finally came. We had a #ShirleyStatus ride, but would have preferred boarding an earlier bus with other people.

View attachment 569741
Look ma, no seat dividers!!
Isn’t that driver switch over time? Thanks to you I’ve avoided taking buses that time of day!!

slipperalwaysfits

Man, 30 seems like a really long wait for a bus mid-day...
Our #ShirleyStatus ended once we entered the Epcot parking lot. Instead of being dropped off at the area closest to the entrance, our driver made us disembark in the off-property bus section ~ which is past the gate for Pop Century. (Those who have stayed at Pop can relate to how far this is.)
Ummmm that is A CRAZY place for an in-park bus to drop you off. Was there an explanation given? With that walk, Em earned her frose!
Em thought the short film was well done. If you like Phil Dunphy, you’ll get a kick out of it
Ohhhhh, is he the narrator? He's hilarious on Modern Family!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom