A look at the Haunted Mansion revised pre-show

JohnD

I've seen quite a few posts since the Splash Mountain news broke where people started chiming in about removing the hanging man in the stretching room, and I was having none of it. And then there was the post about changing HM so it was more "inclusive", ie different cultures represented. I am just hoping that this hysteria eventually pulls back, and saner heads prevail.

Here's what would happen if there were "inclusive" ghosts. Can you imagine if at least one ghost were black? And the uproar that would happen the first time someone uses the word "spook" or "spooktacular" to refer to ghosts? All he** would break loose. All because of the demand to make the attraction "inclusive". All of a sudden a term you've used for years to refer to ghosts only makes YOU insensitive. Don't think this wouldn't happen because it would.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's what would happen if there were "inclusive" ghosts. Can you imagine if at least one ghost were black? And the uproar that would happen the first time someone uses the word "spook" or "spooktacular" to refer to ghosts? All he** would break loose. All because of the demand to make the attraction "inclusive". All of a sudden a term you've used for years to refer to ghosts only makes YOU insensitive. Don't think this wouldn't happen because it would.

During the Halloween parade, there are the ghostly ballroom dancers. The CMs portraying them are of varied ancestry. No issues there.

Pepper's Ghost

Dumb question. Why the need to have the lights so bright? Is it so you can see the ropes and tape on the carpet? I would think that they could dim the lighting a little more.

NelleBelle

Dumb question. Why the need to have the lights so bright? Is it so you can see the ropes and tape on the carpet? I would think that they could dim the lighting a little more.
Is it so people can see the social distance markings? I’m on my cell and can’t see the pics as detailed as I did when I viewed them from my laptop and can’t remember if there were markings or not. One would hope the line wouldn’t be creeping that far back but who knows! 🤷‍♀️

muddyrivers

They should have glow in the dark markers, with the ride logo's font and foot prints that look like the one in the staircase scene.

I really like that idea! However, I think people would just assume it's "decoration" and not realize it's actually a health guideline. This is probably one of those times where the key of "Safety" prevails over the other 3 keys.

Pepper's Ghost

They should have glow in the dark markers, with the ride logo's font and foot prints that look like the one in the staircase scene.

This is a cool thought, and a great way to try and get things more to normal. I like it! I really do like the idea, but I have to rain on the parade. A few issues I see with this:
  • These measures are currently thought to be temporary and hopefully we'll be returning to normal soon. If they applied tape that was glow in the dark, it would require lights to charge the paint so it glows, so you still have the issue of it needing to be "too bright".
  • If they use their technology from the room of stairs, that's either lit from beneath or possibly projected. That's going to require a large capital outlay to either install tons of projectors above head, or completely redoing the floor system. Since this is thought to be a temporary requirement, they won't shut down the ride to do this.
Now, if COVID proves to be something we can't vaccinate against, and these measures are the new normal, I can see this being a good way to address the issues, and recapturing the spookiness of the pre-ride show. Man I hope this isn't the new normal, but some of the news coming out about the virus is a little dispiriting (and dispiriting doesn't work well with the HAUNTED Mansion.) 🤪

NelleBelle

The stretching room is functional in the Disneyland version. I wonder how they'll handle that. Of course, I wonder if Disneyland will get to open any time soon.
From what I read in the news today, does not look promising to reopen anytime soon, sadly.

Robbiem

Really interesting to see the mansion in lighter conditions the woodwork looks amazing. Perhaps if this situation lasts longer than expected and anything is possible now Disney could overlay the ride with a slightly different twist.
something like Tokyo’s tower of terror might work - use signage to show the mansion is having an open day or similar and we start the tour walking through the mansion, have some information boards and props in the queue and cast members talking about open day at Gracey manor after years of neglect with the psychic research society running a spirit world tour or something. board the doom buggy But take out the first line about there you are and start from the we find it delightfully unliveable and play the ride out.

A bit lame I know but at least it could replace the lack of preshow with something to set the ride up

Dayma

I kinda like seeing the queue with the lights on. I never got to see it like this. Let's just hope it goes back to normal soon now that I have seen it....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom