A long time Disney fan turns sour!

Cameron1529

I know...

@Cameron1529, you do know that like 99% of the "dissenters" about Disney's pricing policies completely understand market logistics and corporate motivations?

I'm not disputing anything you said...we get it. It's more of a question whether disney can sustain itself trying to chase quarterly profits?...because their business has always thrived over the longterm when they dedicate themselves to quality.

Take you medicine (short term)...get healthier, stronger.

I absolutely understand that. I was not putting forth my points to undermine anyones expertise or knowledge. I just felt no one had put the points forth that I mentioned, hence the reason I mentioned it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No doubt they are already earning an enourmous profits in the billions. However they have shareholders, a workforce and generally a lot of stakeholders to satisfy and maintain. Soon as profits dip or trough there is the potential for repercussions.
If they are carrying billions in profit after expenses (including dividends, salaries, buybacks, and current levels of capital investment) they can afford to up the quality and customer service.

So, in contrast to your belief, I don't think they (DIS, The Walt Disney Company, which includes all the subsidiaries) are rolling in cash.

Cameron1529

By making the implication indirectly while stating that "Disney is a business", you no longer needed to state directly that it excuses their behavior.

Okay no worries. I made a point and personal view in this forum relating to Disney and have respectfully debated it throughout. I don’t need to you to knit pick how I convey a particular point.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Okay no worries. I made a point and personal view in this forum relating to Disney and have respectfully debated it throughout. I don’t need to you to knit pick how I convey a particular point.

I'm not knit picking, I simply made a comment in response on yours. Discourse doesn't mandate agreement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is good to know for our upcoming trip...thanks Sirwalter! I'm sure when we were there in Oct' 2016 part of the crowding was likely due to F&W and Halloween :rolleyes:

Frankly...October is miserable these days...

I still look for slower times...that month isn't one of them anymore in my experience

NelleBelle

Frankly...October is miserable these days...

I still look for slower times...that month isn't one of them anymore in my experience
I didn't think the parks were too bad except for Epcot...yikes!!! We even did MNSSHP on Oct. 31 and expected the worst (but really wasn't like I thought it would be). But the visit was one we tacked on after we did a DCL and now my oldest DS has told me he no longer wants to miss anymore school for vacations, that was our last year to go during the fall as a family. Now we must brave the month of June *screams*!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't think the parks were too bad except for Epcot...yikes!!! We even did MNSSHP on Oct. 31 and expected the worst (but really wasn't like I thought it would be). But the visit was one we tacked on after we did a DCL and now my oldest DS has told me he no longer wants to miss anymore school for vacations, that was our last year to go during the fall as a family. Now we must brave the month of June *screams*!

I think you're better off...

Your daughter probably doesn't want to miss school cause because it's a Constant struggle/guilt trip...standardized testing has made the education system completely lose its mind - my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once you hear the magic phrase:
Disney is a business
meaningful conversation has ceased, just like when someone brings up Nazis.

I know...but it never had to be that way.

Nobody (should be ) is naive enough to believe that bucks aren't of a concern. Of course...

But disney management up until bout 2000 had a pretty good grasp of planning for the long haul. It's quite impressive when you research their history...particularly the 60's though the 90's...highly recommend reading what you can...

However...it's a misconception to think that disney is completely secure. Lots of volatility is present under their corporate structure. Tv has completely changed and it's blown a hole in their portfolio...the theme park business is facing a bit of uncertainty too - as the middle class background that the parks were built on is drying up in the traditional sense.
Marvel has been successful - but all the actors are out of contract and some (notably Chris Evans and RDJ)...are likely to walk away when disney doesn't bring the Depp offers...which don't seem to be coming.

More recently...we
Had our slugfest about the crown jewel
Of western IP: Star Wars

For every Johnson defender (pretty much exactly the same as all things disney defenders) who patronizingly said "oh...it's only gonna make $1.7...1.6...1.5...1.4...1.3 (pattern)...what will they do?"...
I respectfully submit they missed the point and real strength of Star Wars. The direction and the story approach disney has taken is not good...it's not leading to a lasting franchise of new characters that resonate the way the old ones did. Things change...but re-invention of the "spirit"
Is a bad move...as is moving the goal posts on the core philosophy...

So there...disney is a business...peel skin and we can all discuss the apple underneath.

smile

I know...but it never had to be that way.

do believe mr. e began the chain ensuring it wouldn't be anything but
;)

the theme park business is facing a bit of uncertainty too - as the middle class background that the parks were built on is drying up in the traditional sense.

dire... even if, unless demand wanes what's the deal
... unless you're somehow referring to increased pressure from within.......

The direction and the story approach disney has taken is not good...it's not leading to a lasting franchise of new characters that resonate the way the old ones did. Things change...but re-invention of the "spirit"
Is a bad move...as is moving the goal posts on the core philosophy...

completely agreed -
just can't see it, strategically

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
dire... even if, unless demand wanes what's the deal
... unless you're somehow referring to increased pressure from within...

Correct...as their cable tv cashcow
Declines...more pressure will be on parks to generate profit...and
They have already really extended the prices beyond what is likely sustainable long run...

Walt d

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.
Hi im a disney share holder i first set foot on disney 1972 i love the mouse, im sorry your mad. Every one is tring to do the same thing. I get that, im thinking you should send a email to disney you could find out were go to the walt disney company, . Com i hate to hear that people have a bad time at the world. I hate what it cost too, but thats were star wars is coming from. I have been there 26 times and still cant get too much disney, good luck to you.

ELeigh

This makes me concerned about our planed trip in December 2018. I am a very long term planner but was not aware that FOP Fastpasses would be gone at the 60-day mark. I had planned AK for our first day...now I wonder if I should do that because I want to ride FOP. Last trip (2016) I had no issues getting multiple FP for Seven Dwarves Mine Train at the 60-day mark.

This presents a significant problem in that ADRs must be made 180-days in advance. So if you get a ADR on a day when no FP availability at the 60-day mark, it's not so easy to change park days around. I guess that if I don't get to ride FOP due to no FP availability then yes that will certainly lower the trip. I have vowed never again to wait in any Disney line over 30 minutes.

We are also trying a new resort in Port Orleans Riverside. But I have heard plenty of horror stories about the bus service there and the 4 each bus stops....so wondering if I may as well drive to a park each day and just avoid the buses altogether. We may try a bus the first day and see how bad it is.

I first visited in 1973 and must simply agree that Disney is not as magical as it once was. But hopefully our visit next December won't be as bad as you described yours. Best wishes.
By the time of your visit I would think that the buzz around FOP might calm down some, especially considering there are new attractions set to open in HS between now and then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom