A long time Disney fan turns sour!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
. That's easy. I plan, organize, direct, schedule, coordinate, report and budget 49 weeks a year at work. I simply don't want to do it on vacation.....the only difference being I am paying more to do it at Disney than I get paid at work.

BINGO you get it!, I'm an engineer and i plan months and years ahead, the last thing i want is planning and scheduling and mandatory punctuality to dominate my vacation.

Daryl W

I agree the magic is disappearing from Disney. The Fastpass+ is one of the worst ideas ever. They could have easily changed from paper passes to scanning in the magic ban instead of having to try and decide where you will be at any given time of your trip. Also, as a husband of a disabled spouse it's pretty sad to see people complain about someone having to get on the bus using a scooter. My wife would rather walk around the park than use a scooter any day, but unforchantly life didn't choose to let her. People expect a man to give up their seat for a pregnant woman or a mother carrying a child but how dare a handicap person want to get on the bus. I can only hope those that complain will some day be in that persons position to experience life like they have to and listen to all the people complain because they are being inconvenienced by them and the 'special' perks these disabled people get. I hope you get to use these 'perks' too some day.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The attitudes of CMs has been dismal lately. We're locals and go all the time and the experiences I've had are just mind-blowing. I'm not one to complain to GR about this stuff, but I definitely thought about it. I don't because it's generally not the CMs fault, but the lack of support they get, which turns into them being rude. It's a cycle, and if someone complains to GR, the only problem that will be fixed is firing the lowest person on the totem-pole.

CM attitudes are directly tied to management attitude, if line mangement is constantly under the lash for cost containment and revenue enhancement you can bet your average CM is going to be morose and demoralized because they are not allowed to make things right for the guests

21stamps

BINGO you get it!, I'm an engineer and i plan months and years ahead, the last thing i want is planning and scheduling and mandatory punctuality to dominate my vacation.

Your post is exactly the point of my first post in this thread... you don’t need to do that much scheduling and punctuality.. not to the lengths that people say is needed.

DisneyDoctor

I agree the magic is disappearing from Disney. The Fastpass+ is one of the worst ideas ever. They could have easily changed from paper passes to scanning in the magic ban instead of having to try and decide where you will be at any given time of your trip. Also, as a husband of a disabled spouse it's pretty sad to see people complain about someone having to get on the bus using a scooter. My wife would rather walk around the park than use a scooter any day, but unforchantly life didn't choose to let her. People expect a man to give up their seat for a pregnant woman or a mother carrying a child but how dare a handicap person want to get on the bus. I can only hope those that complain will some day be in that persons position to experience life like they have to and listen to all the people complain because they are being inconvenienced by them and the 'special' perks these disabled people get. I hope you get to use these 'perks' too some day.
That's pretty harsh of you to wish a disability on someone.

Last edited:

Roakor

When we first started going to disney the one thing I like most about it was it felt like everyone was treated equally as important no matter who they where. Once you go there you were the same. Lately though it feels more and more like those who can afford it will get the "Disney treatment" those who can't well you get what ever we have left over.

The last trip we took was the first time I found myself wondering, is it really worth the money? I still love Disney but there is no denying that the parks are becoming less about creating a magical experience and more about just making a quick buck. In doing so they have lost some of what set them apart from all the other parks out there. And so I find my self thinking something that was never a consideration before. Maybe we should save a few dollars and give the other parks a try next time...

DisneyDoctor

When we first started going to disney the one thing I like most about it was it felt like everyone was treated equally as important no matter who they where. Once you go there you were the same. Lately though it feels more and more like those who can afford it will get the "Disney treatment" those who can't well you get what ever we have left over.

The last trip we took was the first time I found myself wondering, is it really worth the money? I still love Disney but there is no denying that the parks are becoming less about creating a magical experience and more about just making a quick buck. In doing so they have lost some of what set them apart from all the other parks out there. And so I find my self thinking something that was never a consideration before. Maybe we should save a few dollars and give the other parks a try next time...
Can you describe what the "Disney treatment leftovers" are and how having less money makes you receive them?

I hope you don't read this as sarcastic, I'm actually really curious what you have to say.

Czar63

I am glad to hear you feel the same way. I too was beginning to think maybe I just getting older or have been there too many times. You are correct on all points. When we started going in 2001 Port Orleans Riverside was about $95/night. Now it's just under $300/night. The rooms are not spotless, the frig's don't work properly, the pools are all closed for maintenance. Not the mention the many rides that are down for maintenance as well. And the nit picking is ridiculous. The Mom's Panel is a joke. People write in with tips on how to save a few dollars there and the next thing you know they are making it so you can't. Additionally, the cast members used to be the nicest people. I could always depend on a happy, cheery face. Now it's mostly not so nice cast members..Disney used to be my not plan a thing vacation and just relax and be surrounded by niceness. The world I wish existed every day in real life. Now I have to decide where I will eat and ride, if I would like to partake, months in advance. I started my Disney love in CA when I was little and started my daughter at the age of 7 in Florida . We go every year, some times 2 times a year. But every time we go there is construction everywhere and less bang for our buck. Lots of things are better but much more is worse. Please, please, please WDW pay attention to your fans and get back on track. It's not about the almighty dollar. You are already a money making machine. Have a magical day!

21stamps

Not a problem, but when I write a trip report as I said, I tell the entire story. If the problem is rectified I most definitely feel better and I also note that but I will still mention it.

Now again one of the problems with the mouseworlds system is that you cannot call the actual front desk. so if you have a problem with your room you have two options.
1) make a call that takes you to a "central" system, wait for them to then contact your resorts housekeeping, then hope it doesn't get lost in transition. time?? anywhere up to hours.

2) leave your room and physically go down stairs to speak with manager on duty. usually gets the problem resolved quicker but again you have to leave.

I will say that every time I have a problem I do deal with it at the time and I am happy with the resolution.

I appreciate reading trip reports which include any negative experiences or suggestions to avoid in the future. I just don’t think a few hiccups ruin a trip.. the person who had the hiccups is the one responsible for having a bad time.. roll with the punches and most of the time everything will be fine.
It’s when people expect every second of every day to be perfect, for no other reason than- IT’S DISNEY! I’M PAYING FOR IT! I PLANNED EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY, HOW DARE SOMETHING GO WRONG!!!- this is setting up one’s own self for failure.

Humans and machines will never be perfect at all times. That’s not having low expectations, it’s just being realistic. This doesn’t mean that feelings of frustration won’t happen, they will if something goes wrong, definitely...but that’s just a part of life. Nothing can be perfect 100% of the time.

I see this a lot, and I’m genuinely curious.. what experiences cause you to have “ less” if you don’t experience them?
When you go to a ball game, are you bothered if you are in regular seats and someone else is in box seats?
I’m not being sarcastic, I just wonder bc imo it’s a waste of time to be worried about what someone else is doing. I think not caring about it may help someone have a better time without any “extras”.

BrunoTaTa

I'm soured also. Drove a couple hours down from the coast where we live to spend a day at AK and finally see it at night. I'll keep it short and sweet.
1. Arriving at POR, the guard says "go straight to your room". But we don't have wristbands or a map of the resort. So we head to check in to get those. This is noon on a Wednesday, hardly peak check in time. Line is backed through the building. They have a grand total of two employees doing check-in. It looks like a half hour wait at least, so we dig out old wrist bands and make sure they are linked to the account we made this reservation on. Amazingly, we get in the room that way.
2. Fastpasses for the new Avatar flying ride were gone before we even made the reservation.
3. When we did show up to use fastpasses, the fastpass line was snaked out through Avatar land or whatever they're calling it. Sounds like they issue too many. 15 min wait.
4. Disney's wifi never worked with the Disney app on two separate phones after the first log-in.
5. We could get 4g for other use, but it would also not work with the Disney app.
6. When I tried to log on and add another fastpass after using my first, it said "you've used all yours for the day". Is this how it works now? You get three fastpasses and that's it?
7. Lunch stop at Flame Tree BBQ. I walk right up, wait a minute, then place my order. This is not peak lunch time but 2pm. My wife heads to get napkins and straws and I wait for the food. And wait, and wait, and wait. I timed it. 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the area they're working in is packed with employees, they're just inefficient, their system is inefficient, and apparently people who ordered via the app are getting served before people standing in line, because they're shoving plates out that window one after the other.
8. The person filling drink cups is filling one cup, walking 20' accross to where she's place them, then shuffling back, filling one one, etc, etc. Maybe try filling two at a time there hotshot? She's just stacking them on a tray, not handing them out, anyway. Disney could learn a lot from McDonalds about ergonomics and work flow.
9. The food is good, but sharing a sandwich as usual we noted that the portions continue to shrink over the years. No big deal.
10. The Avatar area is hopelessly crowded, and at night is almost dangerous as you're bound to walk on something uneven or step on someone in the dark. I would have hoped they'd learned their lesson and opened up the area vs the rest of the park's congested narrow walkways.
11. We had a great two runs on EE (one fast pass, one walk on near closing) and one on Dino just walking on.
12. The nighttime Safari was much more interesting than I expected. At least the second half. For the first half we didn't see anything, it was pretty funny.
13. The new fastpass system makes it difficult to plan a tight schedule and we found ourselves criss crossing the park a lot.
14. Back at the room, exhausted, we ordered the delivery service. The "homemade chips" with the sandwiches were a bag of lays. Two sandwiches and a dessert $60 plus $10 tip.
15. Even though touring plans showed a 3 on the crowd calendar for AK, it was more like a 6. They may be closer on actual ride times, but if people are wall to wall, it's still harder to do things like walk. One thing in recent years I've learned is that the parks are practically never quiet anymore except right before closing sometimes or very early for half an hour. I think this destroys Walt's dream of a relaxed place to enjoy with the family. It's a fight for survival just to find a place to stand and check your map sometimes.

Overall, I got the impression in various other ways that Disney is just doing the bare minimum. It's very different from when we started going in 2001. We have about 5 days left on a 10 day we bought a few years ago, we go about 1-2 days a year. But after that I probably would not pay the $100 or so they want for the experience. The $270 for a basic motel room doesn't help, either.

The long distances traveling from place to place inside the World, and the constant waiting are more appropriate for Six Flags and Disney's 1980 price levels than the current premium price. It's their cash cow and as long as people keep paying they have no incentive to improve, I realize. But I find it a poor value relative to about 10-15 years ago. $600 for an adult couple to see 8 attractions...pass.

I look forward to hitting Busch Gardens, as the animal content at AK is lower anyway. And I can park close, walk in, and zip around w/o the huge crowds.

Dizmunk

We don't get the amount people pay to stay on property. I guess I would expect perfection at those prices, too. I have wanted to stay on property but every time I do the calculations it's just not worth it. We are a family of 5. We get a huge condo or townhouse off property, rent a van, pay daily for parking, buy meals instead of using dining plan and it's still less expensive than staying on property with dining plan and not renting a car.
We spend a lot of time in the resorts anyway- going to the gift shops and restaurants. Enjoying the decorations and scenery without having to pay to sleep there. It takes us less than 15 min to drive everywhere on property from our rental-which is less time than waiting for the bus sometimes.
More often than not when we have a slight complaint- the cast member goes above and beyond. We are always polite and don't expect compensation-we are just "letting them know" We have ended up getting free desserts, meals, fastpasses and even a pair of sunglasses once.

Stanley Winner

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.
Have been going for years. Remember before fast pass. Line was 60 or more minutes per ride. The problem that seems to take the magic away is attendance grows every year and Disney cannot expand fast enough to handle it, even though they are trying.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Have been going for years. Remember before fast pass. Line was 60 or more minutes per ride. The problem that seems to take the magic away is attendance grows every year and Disney cannot expand fast enough to handle it, even though they are trying.

Now it's 180 minutes for standby, and 10-30 for those holding an FP+. That's not really better. FP+ was designed to create the exact problem you see today, the intention was to be able to pack more people in the parks so they could earn more money. Great for Disney, not so great for everyone else.

They're also about 10 years behind on major expansions, and they don't have enough cast in the parks to accommodate demand anymore.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Out of all the things I complain about at WDW perks for the disabled are not among them.

Yet I do think mobility devices should have dedicated vehicles possibly even specially designed ones which are drive on/drive off vehicles so as to accommodate inexperienced mobility device users.

Trust2deal

Hi Everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I have read most of the comments and have some thoughts.
Fastpass: I believe that Disney needs to come up with a newer system. I believe people would pay more to have access to some of the more popular rides. It seems this year more new rides caused confusion - or did they underestimate the response? in any event we found the Fastpass experience in October 2017 to be OK. We were able to get on almost all the rides we wanted. We did experience a new Fastpass opportunity though - we were given an open-ended FastPass for the day where we could go on any Fastpass ride at any time. Maybe Disney could sell this type of FP for an additional cost?
Food: We have never had any real issues with the food. We have used the food plan twice but thought we wasted some of the offerings. This past trip we had counter service, sit down service and food and wine service. In each case, the food was very good. Something simple like a muffin, ice cream and including a steak were all very good.
Buses: I can understand and relate to the comments regarding the bus transportation system. Is it me? or are more people using the motorized carts? (side comment - how do they know a person really handicapped and needs that cart?) once a person has one of those and they need to get on a bus - it can take triple the amount of time to get anywhere? plus the number of 'backups' certainly doesn't help. Maybe transportation can look into a system that only carries those in a motorized cart type of bus?
Lastly - the original post mentioned issues with their room. I would like to know how that was resolved? If there is one thing I noticed over the years at Disney is when you bring an issue to Disney's attention the resolution can be impressive. I don't consider myself an ALL IN Disney fanatic but more of a person who appreciates Disney's way for handling customer service. Like the times where we had issues with a room and they upgraded us, or the time our luggage broke and they gave us a new piece of luggage, or the time our wristband broke and they compted that day in park pass - they always seem to respond well.
Best,
T2D

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Now it's 180 minutes for standby, and 10-30 for those holding an FP+. That's not really better. FP+ was designed to create the exact problem you see today, the intention was to be able to pack more people in the parks so they could earn more money. Great for Disney, not so great for everyone else.

They're also about 10 years behind on major expansions, and they don't have enough cast in the parks to accommodate demand anymore.

Not only do they not have enough CM's they are actively shedding CM's

21stamps

Unfortunately yes you do if you want to do the 'premier' experiences like CRT, BoG, FoP

You don’t. However, if you want the peace of mind to have a specific restaurant booked on a specific day, months in advance, then book it.
That’s not exclusive to Disney.. we have to do that with pretty much any destination, whether it’s an experience or dining.

Here’s the main thing though, not everyone is dining at CRT, yet everyone pretends that all table service restaurants are booked up as much as that one. They aren’t., and, I’ve seen CRT available in less than 1week, up to 60 days in advance. I’ve booked it, and cancelled. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Bottom line though, you are using a few examples and trying to expand them to all options, it’s incorrect.

miltimo5

I don’t post here very often but I read the forums all the time. So, believe me when I say I’m not here to stir anything up. I just wanted to relay my thoughts from my recent trip (Dec 10 – 16).

I just got back from my 14th trip to Disney World and I have to say I was disappointed. For the first time ever, I have to say I don’t look forward to going back. My family started going back in 2002 so I may not be a super Disney goer but I have been enough times that I have plenty of experience and have seen things come and go.

We stayed in an Art of Animation Nemo suite. The room was nice enough with a few things wrong … the fridge didn’t work, the remote in the bedroom wouldn’t turn the TV on, the piece that keeps water in the shower from coming out under the door was missing, and a light over the table was blinking. Not terrible things but annoying.

The parks were crowded for an early December trip (10 – 16). However, I knew crowds have been picking up lately so not unexpected. I remember the days when a trip in December meant a walk on, on all rides!

But here is what really got me. Disney is chipping away at its exceptional guest experience. This is the first trip that I CAN'T say felt awesome or magical. I have worked for a large corporation for better than 20 years and they do the same thing. They chip away at their employees until they can no longer give their loyalty. In fact, I have quit that job and moved on. The same thing is happening to Disney. In the past, I would have argued anyone down that Disney was the best vacation a family would ever take. But not anymore. Like at my former job my loyalty to Disney is fading.

So, what is different? I have been thinking about it and this is just some of the things I have come up with.

Fastpass+

This system is not thought out well and I believe has ruined a positive Disney experience for guests. 60 days prior to arrival I logged in to make my fast pass reservations. Much to my surprise there were no Avatar Flight of Passage or Frozen or Seven Dwarf Mine Train fast passes until 5 days into our trip. What? NO fast passes? I finally got a fast pass for Avatar Flight of Passage for a Thursday night but there was one problem with that. We were going to EPCOT that morning. Therefore, we could make no fast passes for EPCOT that day. You can’t have fast passes spanning parks. Also, how am I supposed to know two months in advance what ride I want to ride at what time. This is beyond crazy. People who know me know that I am a big planner. I have multiple spreadsheets and create food lists and all sorts of things. But when it comes down to it, you just can’t always know exactly where you want to be on any particular day and certainly not minute by minute. And heaven forbid you might change your mind and want to go to a park you haven't planned for. I pity the folks who can’t plan the way I do. I bet they don’t get to do anything at Disney with this new system.

In addition, the system of fast passes is driving traffic to other rides. I saw a 40 minute wait for The Land! During a “slow” time, “off season” time there was a 40 minute wait for The Land! Now, I have read on this great forum that Disney wanted to do that. But now there are no rides that have short waits. This can really make for a long day. What do you do when you are waiting for your fast pass. I guess you wait 40 minutes for The Land.

Food

We got the free quick service dining this time. We have had it many times before. We no longer want the table service dining. First everything was covered. Then tips were not covered. Then you no longer could get appetizers. And I don’t know what all may have changed since the last time we had that plan. Can you see the trend? Chipping away at the guest experience until someone like me no longer even wants it. The quick service food is the same way. Disney has streamlined everything. You can get the same hot dog no matter where you go. The thing is I don’t want the same hot dog or hamburger everywhere. The choices are really limited too. I can remember when quick service restaurants had all kinds of choices, including free hot cheese which my daughters loved. Sorry, they don’t have the cheese any more or maybe they do for a buck. (Chipping Away!)

Buses

Don’t even get me started on the buses. Waited 45 minutes on a bus at Disney Springs. Stood on every single bus back and forth from the parks except maybe once. They let every single scooter and their families on the bus FIRST even if I had been waiting there forever and they just pulled up. The driver refused to go until we had so many people standing we couldn’t even move. “Keep moving back! I can see you can still breathing there sir so there must not be enough people on this bus!” If a bus had an accident we would most likely all be dead. If I drove around with no seat belt I would get a ticket. How can they get away with 10000 people on one bus? You talk about not a good guest experience. That may be the worst of them all! Or how about when they drop you off, not at your bus stop, but at no place in particular nowhere close to the park.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling on. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m getting older and I don’t see things the same way I used to. But I won’t be going back for a while. A long, long while. Disney has chipped away at costs and such until they have ruined my guest experience. I don’t pay top dollar to go to Disney so I can go to an average park. If I wanted that I’d going to that other place. They need to get back to what made them great and not just settle for “okay” with a lot more profit.
Sorry you didn't have a good trip... but a few things I saw that could have/should have been considered.
when you found some things out of order in your room, did you call the front desk? I have had some issues but they are usually there as soon as they can to fix it.
as for your 60 days out and not being able to get what you wanted.... although that day was your 60 days out... you had the people arriving the day before, 2 days, 3 days etc hit their 60 days before you and probably ran into the same thing...they would have had to take what was left after the people arriving a week before you made their choices. not getting a fast pass for the day/time you want is better than standing in all the lines... I have been to wdw 32 times and am currently planning a trip with 2 great nieces - 4 & 2 yrs old... and their mom said -- you can plan it all..takes a ton of research, planning and replanning around what you get. since we just decided yesterday to go in april, we missed the dining reservations... I would have loved to take the 4 & 2 yr olds to cinderellas breakfast oh well... just keep trying and hoping something comes up. Disney perks are not perfect...but better than most parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom