A little tidbit a heard about wonders building

Goosebrent

Original Poster
From a reliable source at epcot: The wonders building will host the home to Food and wine this year. The interior of the building with exception to body wars and Cranium command has been gutted (temp walls were built around these attractions) and will be used for special events and convention space till a permanent operating partner is found. So it is likely we will never see wonders of life attractions again. It is also been told to me that gm and hp are looking at the building for an attraction that they can co operate. May be a Mission: Space 2, where you are exploring the red planet.

SDav10495

First part true. This part...

It is also been told to me that gm and hp are looking at the building for an attraction that they can co operate. May be a Mission: Space 2, where you are exploring the red planet.

...erm, extremely unlikely. I can't imagine that GM, given its financial situation, would care to spend even more money on sponsorship at Epcot, especially consdering the rumors that they're not even totally thrilled with Test Track. And have two corporations ever gone "halvsies" on a single attraction before? Methinks not.

Then there's the thought of creating a "sequel" ride...WDI would never create something like that right next to the original, or even in the same park. They'd just plus the original--make it a version 2.0.

And if any new attraction is going into Wonders of Life in the future, it will have absolutely nothing to do with Mission: Space. Not only would that mean having two different pavilions focussed on the same theme (a no-no, even in thematically-challenged lowercase Epcot), but that ride itself has been a PR nightmare for Disney. No way they would create a second attraction based on one that's been such a disappointment.

jedimaster1227

From a reliable source at epcot: The wonders building will host the home to Food and wine this year. The interior of the building with exception to body wars and Cranium command has been gutted (temp walls were built around these attractions) and will be used for special events and convention space till a permanent operating partner is found. So it is likely we will never see wonders of life attractions again. It is also been told to me that gm and hp are looking at the building for an attraction that they can co operate. May be a Mission: Space 2, where you are exploring the red planet.

The first part is true. Epcot doesn't have such a thing as a permanent operating partner. They have sponsers like Siemens, GM and HP, but none of them are permanently contracted, nor do they operate the pavilions, merely providing funds for their operation along with coordinating any changes made to the attractions during their sponsorship period.

First part true. This part...

...erm, extremely unlikely. I can't imagine that GM, given its financial situation, would care to spend even more money on sponsorship at Epcot, especially consdering the rumors that they're not even totally thrilled with Test Track. And have two corporations ever gone "halvsies" on a single attraction before? Methinks not.

Then there's the thought of creating a "sequel" ride...WDI would never create something like that right next to the original, or even in the same park. They'd just plus the original--make it a version 2.0.

And if any new attraction is going into Wonders of Life in the future, it will have absolutely nothing to do with Mission: Space. Not only would that mean having two different pavilions focussed on the same theme (a no-no, even in thematically-challenged lowercase Epcot), but that ride itself has been a PR nightmare for Disney. No way they would create a second attraction based on one that's been such a disappointment.

Mind you, Mission:Space was supposed to be Disney next franchise attraction. Much like what DisneyQuest was designed to do, this attraction would be loosely tied but popular enough to fit into any Disney park in the world. The technology was supposed to make the attraction, yet due to the bad press, Disney backed off of that stance quite fast. Disneyland would have been the next to recieve this attraction, with a viable attraction space in the current Innoventions building (formerly the Carousel of Progress theater). Don't expect to see Mission:Space (or any attraction with this technology) at another Disney park anytime soon, as Disney just isn't willing to risk it again (considering how much they paid for the original). The biggest enhancement you will see for Mission:Space will be an updated film, but that won't be here anytime soon.

Yanks07

I am glad I drug the family over to Wonders on New Years Eve 06. I thought it might be the last time. Even on NYE with Epcot jammed and 2 hr. waits, no one was at Wonders of life. :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And have two corporations ever gone "halvsies" on a single attraction before?
Yep - American Express and The Coca Cola Company (The American Adventure) Eastman Kodak and The Walt Disney Company (Captain EO, equal funding) and RCA and GE (Space Mountain) (yes, really!)

Nice idea, thoigh for now it seems the building is destined just to be a tax-break.

Yanks07

:eek:

I know some people thought Wonders of Life was boring, but you actually had to drug your family to get them in there?!?

...it's "dragged". ;)
17 and 19 year old sons who are thrill seekers, what do you think I had to do, not dragged them, drug them. :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I am sure HP is just chomping at the bit to sponsor another M:S style attraction... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they didn't even finish the corporate lounge. It's still barren on the Test Track side - like barely more then wall studs.

They're just dying to throw money at Epcot ;)

SDav10495

Just to think the last original part of Future World other than SSE is about to die.:cry:

Well...er, yes and no...WoL had never really changed from its original incarnation, but it wasn't opened until 1989--so it's not exactly an EPCOT original. But I know what you mean.

Yep - American Express and The Coca Cola Company (The American Adventure) Eastman Kodak and The Walt Disney Company (Captain EO, equal funding) and RCA and GE (Space Mountain) (yes, really!)

Once I posted that, something told me you would quickly be able to correct me... :rolleyes: Thanks for the info--I can't believe I forgot American Express and Coca Cola on AA, though I wasn't aware of the others. I guess I just meant that I could never see two corporations who already sponsor full pavilions getting together to sponsor another one right next door.

17 and 19 year old sons who are thrill seekers, what do you think I had to do, not dragged them, drug them. :)

:lol:

jt04

I respectfully disagree. I can see where the two pavillions could be connected into one LARGE pavilion. Similar to The Land. If you look on Google Earth, you will see this would be easy. So Mission:Space 2 could be themed as a ride to Mars and then physically joined to the old WoL building and you could have a simulator attraction on Mars and a show in the theatre. Plus room for a whole lot more. That would be amazing and would not cost all that much. Maybe Alien Encounter can be reborn at Epcot. Sorry EPCOT purists, I would love to see it happen. :lookaroun Just dreaming!:D

jt04

I'd still like to see something "WEATHER" or not it becomes something where thrills and education can be put to good use..

I have heard that a Weather Pavilion has been discussed for the area between Seas and Land. There is room there and that makes sense. Definitely should be educational with a thrill ride like they have at DisneySea. Weather is a fascinating subject!

jt04

Back to the thread, I would think Boeing or General Dynamics would be a great sponsor for an expanded Space pavilion. Space could be the best Pavilion at Epcot without much effort or financing. I can't imagine it won't happen.:D

cm1988

Nice idea, thoigh for now it seems the building is destined just to be a tax-break.

RCA and GE = same company, for a while at least

juan

if I'm not mistaken, didn't the original rumors for M:S call for a mars base post area?
connecting the two could make the old rumor a possibility

SGT623

If your reliable source is the food & wine mailing that went out last week, then it is correct about WOL being used this year...the rest of it...not gonna happen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom