A fix for Genie+

SteveAZee

I agree with your premise for the most part. Let me premise my comments with the fact that I can comfortably afford the price increases and extras for cutting the line. It still feels inequitable tho. I personally am not one of those folks who feels if I give more green to Disney, that I should get an unfair advantage. I agree that offering different price points for similar products is a good and actually, essential part of the consumer product and entertainment industry for the exact reasons you state. The issue many are having with these recent changes is more about, today those of lesser means are paying considerably more than yesterday, and getting considerably less meaning they are literally paying much more to get through the gates, and are now waiting longer for the product, and due to the longer waits, getting less of the product for the higher prices.

As many have said, the better solution was for Disney to add more product first, and then add the pay for privilege to have to wait less. If there were more attractions to absorb the masses, even with skip-the-line systems, people would have a reasonable wait in the standby queue. The problem is that Disney is getting some people to pay considerably more to get just a little bit more product than they used to get, and those who don't pay get a lot less. I completely agree that this is ultimately on Disney being an incredibly greedy company in recent years. The only way that stops is if the masses don't flock to the parks, therefore making G+ less of a necessity, and then Disney's hand is forced to spend money on new attractions to get the crowds back. In that way, the unhappy guests are to blame for supporting a company whose product you're unhappy with. If they're not unhappy enough to no longer consume the product, then don't complain is my opinion. I haven't been back to the parks for many years for a multitude of reasons that I've been unhappy with the product. At least I'm backing up my talk with my wallet and spending those dollars elsewhere. I'm very lonely in that approach though. 😁
I agree.

In most cases in a free market economy, there's competition for a product or service, so features get added and/or prices remain in check (or, gasp, drop). Disney really doesn't have that much competition... the brand remains strong and they've purchased tons of IP to leverage and expand on. I think Universal's new park (Epic Universe) may have some impact on them, so I'm not sure if the current push to milk every last dollar out of guests is because they feel invincible, or if they sense the threat from Universal and are building a war chest of profits to later push back against the competition. Either way, I hope Epic Universe is a real threat to WDW since it will force Disney to actually compete.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree with your premise for the most part. Let me premise my comments with the fact that I can comfortably afford the price increases and extras for cutting the line. It still feels inequitable tho. I personally am not one of those folks who feels if I give more green to Disney, that I should get an unfair advantage. I agree that offering different price points for similar products is a good and actually, essential part of the consumer product and entertainment industry for the exact reasons you state. The issue many are having with these recent changes is more about, today those of lesser means are paying considerably more than yesterday, and getting considerably less meaning they are literally paying much more to get through the gates, and are now waiting longer for the product, and due to the longer waits, getting less of the product for the higher prices.

As many have said, the better solution was for Disney to add more product first, and then add the pay for privilege to have to wait less. If there were more attractions to absorb the masses, even with skip-the-line systems, people would have a reasonable wait in the standby queue. The problem is that Disney is getting some people to pay considerably more to get just a little bit more product than they used to get, and those who don't pay get a lot less. I completely agree that this is ultimately on Disney being an incredibly greedy company in recent years. The only way that stops is if the masses don't flock to the parks, therefore making G+ less of a necessity, and then Disney's hand is forced to spend money on new attractions to get the crowds back. In that way, the unhappy guests are to blame for supporting a company whose product you're unhappy with. If they're not unhappy enough to no longer consume the product, then don't complain is my opinion. I haven't been back to the parks for many years for a multitude of reasons that I've been unhappy with the product. At least I'm backing up my talk with my wallet and spending those dollars elsewhere. I'm very lonely in that approach though. 😁
There are so many parts to a WDW vacation that you can absolutely love most of them but detest one or two. I think that's where most of the complaining enters the picture. "WDW would be perfect if not for [insert Genie+, mobile ordering, slow buses, resort parking fees, or whatever else you don't like]." The one or two dislikes may not be enough to tip the balance to make the vacation not worth it. I agree that if you're on a discussion board complaining about virtually every aspect of WDW you should go elsewhere.

People do vote with their wallets - the problem is that other people don't like how they're voting. My husband and I are at the age now where we can't stand in hours-long lines all day or jockey for position at parades or fireworks shows, but we are at the stage where we can afford Genie+/ILLs, dessert parties, polar patios, etc. That said, we aren't going to spend money on something that doesn't give us sufficient value. The park reservation system coupled with Genie+/ILLs did not work well for our family vacation last spring so we are going elsewhere next year. Disney isn't going to change until enough people find the product is no longer worth the cost, and this is going to take some time.

Jrb1979

I agree.

In most cases in a free market economy, there's competition for a product or service, so features get added and/or prices remain in check (or, gasp, drop). Disney really doesn't have that much competition... the brand remains strong and they've purchased tons of IP to leverage and expand on. I think Universal's new park (Epic Universe) may have some impact on them, so I'm not sure if the current push to milk every last dollar out of guests is because they feel invincible, or if they sense the threat from Universal and are building a war chest of profits to later push back against the competition. Either way, I hope Epic Universe is a real threat to WDW since it will force Disney to actually compete.
I hope so too but have my doubts. Harry Potter didn't do much to change anything in regards to attendance. The first year Epic Universe will have an impact but after that I'm not so sure. From being on this board I would say the majority of Disney guests have no interest in Universal or any other park for that matter. Disney fans and guests are a unique bunch. Most care more about IP then how good a ride is.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I agree.

Even if it is you are looking at 5 years+ before you see anything come to fruition…

cm1988

Original Poster
As a grandmother, I believe all grandmas should get on Rise of the Resistance first. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." That's definitely not our society, but it has been tried elsewhere.
True;, and the slogan was well-writ and possibly with good intention. Another slogan: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
This and future generations have great digital tools to support a better life for all. i.e., computers, robotics, artificial intelligence, and the internet.

Like any tool, computers and their peripherals can be put to good or nefarious use. If the human decision-makers are serving shareholders (a.k.a. themselves) a brighter future will take longer to arrive. Those of us who maybe are not in that generation can dream, and we can share our hopes.

And, getting back to Genie+. Nothing wrong with it! They should keep making it better. And... it should be free. That would make it a good tool adding to every guest's enjoyment.

Chi84

Premium Member
True;, and the slogan was well-writ and possibly with good intention. Another slogan: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
This and future generations have great digital tools to support a better life for all. i.e., computers, robotics, artificial intelligence, and the internet.

Like any tool, computers and their peripherals can be put to good or nefarious use. If the human decision-makers are serving shareholders (a.k.a. themselves) a brighter future will take longer to arrive. Those of us who maybe are not in that generation can dream, and we can share our hopes.
I’m not sure I would call those words a “slogan” on the level of “try try again.” Or are you joking?

cm1988

Original Poster
I’m not sure I would call those words a “slogan” on the level of “try try again.” Or are you joking?
Slogan, brand, doctrine, tenet, principle, article of faith… all of those concepts can slip from one to another within the mind.

Maybe. I dunno. I wasn’t joking but maybe should limit my observations in this forum to WDW… which I do know after literally thousands of days spent there.

The WDW-relevant point I wanted to make was that the magic has, for a time, been suspended. I believe it will return because it has good, deep roots.

The magic is person-to-person… Cast to guest and guest to cast… Kindness and goodwill. People feel those things. Today, we have plastic wristbands and cell phones and competition for a place in line that all are getting in the way of the magic. We can and will do better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom