A few questions.

disneytopdog

Original Poster
This has been bugging me for years.

I went to Disneyland some 18 to 20 years ago. I remember the entrance was off Harbor Blvd. I was always under the impression that there was no more land around Disneyland for development hence one of the reason for WDW. What was on the land that Disneys California Adventure sits on. If it was the Disneyland parking lot, then where did they find the land to move the parking lots.

The next question. If I was to do a Disney (west coast) trip how many days for a mid week value(slow) season trip? Sorry if theses questions have been asked before.

rainfully

Yes, DCA was built on Disneyland's old parking lot... now parking is done in a huge parking garage... which of course takes up a lot less space than a parking lot.

I went to Disneyland this past summer in a peak time... I was there for a day and a half, and got to see quite a lot! (of course I was there from opening to closing on my full day...) So I would say 2-3 days would be pretty sufficient to leisurely be able to see pretty much anything you'd like.

Have fun! I love Disneyland!

disneytopdog

Original Poster
thanks for the info...I am thinking late January, early February midweek. If I stay on property are there any advantages(perks) like at WDW? Is the Paradise Pier the equivalent to a "Value" resort?

lilclerk

I went the first week of June, Tues - Thurs and saw everything I wanted to that wasn't down for refurb. Except for the night shows because, stupid me, I didn't think ahead. DL doesn't have fireworks or night parades on weeknights during the slower periods. If you want to see the fireworks (which were honestly the main reason I wanted to go so bad :brick:) definitely be there at least Friday night.

I stayed at one of the Good Neighbor hotels (The Anabella, I could see DCA from my window.) It was really nice, but sort of pricy, though it was a LOT less than one of DL's hotels. I would have loved to stay in the Disneyland Hotel but I didn't want to spring that much. I'm pretty sure you don't get any special perks for staying in one of the park's 3 hotels, other than not having to cross W. Katella St (I thought I was going to die every day.) It's not like WDW where you get all sortsa special stuff for staying on property. I still got the entry for Mickey's Morning Toontown Madness or whatever it's called... which I didn't go to, but I still had the chance.

rainfully

They don't have any value resorts there... all 3 resorts would be considered Deluxe by WDW standards.

I know they do sometimes offer an early entry program when staying on property... but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head exactly what it entails. I know I was stuck waiting outside one day while all the on-site guests were able to enter. But I would definitely check out the details on their webiste!

lilclerk

I found a link with perks for staying onsite
http://www.disneymouselinks.com/disneyland-resort-hotel-perks.aspx

They don't seem that great :shrug: I got the early entry staying at the good neighbor hotel. And when I walked to the park, I entered through the Grand Californian as it cuts down the walk a lot.

Actually, I just read that all 3 day and up park hopper tickets entitle you to 1 early entry morning. So it doesn't matter where you stay, as long as you have 3 or more days in the park, you'll still get 1 early entry. When you stay on-site, you have unlimited early entry.

Nicole220

The resorts at DL aren't up to WDW's standards except for the Grand Californian, which is the most expensive.

My best advice would be to stay off site. The only perk for staying on property is early admission. But if you're going in the off season, that isn't so necessary. Staying off site is cheaper and most of the time closer to the resort.

Donald25

I would probably only recomment 2 days. One for DL and the other for DCA. You can knock out all the good attractions at DCA by noon if you go @ opening, and use the other half to go to DL for leisure time; 3 days if you want leisure time in both parks.

I would recommend going sometime soon, DCA is going to begin a major update/refurb, hence ther will be lots of construction, with new attractions and the maliboomer leaving....fyi

Disneyfalcon

We LOVE the Grand Californian, but we like DL hotel too. We're trying Paradise Pier for the first time in December. If you want the whole experience - go for a DL resort. If you want to save money, stay across the street. We've stayed across the street and had a great time.

I always recommend three days. On a weekday during the school year that will give you more then enough time, so you can take a nice slow pace.

LaughingGravy

I just did this in May , having not been to DL since '85.

Since you're on this board, I will assume you know WDW pretty well.

With that in mind, I did everything in a day, both parks, minus a couple of shows, but I was solo.

Single rider lines were a big help. If you're with someone, I'd say 2 days is enough to do all, but you really need to be there when the parking garage opens, which is 1 hr. before official opening time.

Main St. Electrical parade in CA is not to be missed. It brought a tear to my eye. It was the first Disney parade I had ever seen from 1977.

It was great!!

disneytopdog

Original Poster
thanks for all the advice. I am WDW brat, and know it like the back of my hand. This is as foriegn to me as going to Japan or Hong Kong.

Since there is NO magical express, and the perks are not all that "PERKY" for staying on property and a car is a MUST in Southern California I will be staying offsite.

Disneyfalcon

I'm sorry if you said this already, but if you're not going anywhere but DL, you do not need a car at all. A shuttle to and from the airport might be cheaper and easier.

mermaid1

It depends on what you want to do. If you want a Disney immersible vacation, then stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It has all the old classic charm and Disney theming. We won't stay anywhere else. Paradise Pier is built to resemble the Paradise pier area and Grand Californian is like a big lodge and very elegant. None of the resorts are *value*. We love the convenience of the DL Hotel being at one end of DtD and the Parks at the other and you can walk to the parks and go shopping and have all the perks of staying right there.
I would say go for at least 3 days. That way you get a whole day at Disneyland, the original and a day at DCA, which can be done in a half day if you don't have kids. You will also get to go back to Disneyland, because you may want to re-do some things or catch others that you missed the first day. And you can swim at the hotel or go shopping and check out DtD as well.

DL is our *home* park and we always go for a week, 7 days! We love the ambience of being there and taking it very leisurely, we have no kids so we can just spend a whole day relaxing by the pool if we want. We get to go to the parks every day and see just a little at a time, catch shows or shop...I love a vacation where I feel rested and not rushed. I don't like coming home, feeling like we did not get to do or see everything, even when we have been there so many times. We don't even leave the resort complex.
Rehabs in January can mean no Splash Mt. Last year the entire castle was draped because they were repainting and rehabbing. Expect LOTS of rehabs in the off season, you may not get to experience some of the things you want to. And DCA will be going through some growing pains and will be not *whole* But definitely go on Grizzly River Run and check out the whole Grizzly Peak area. It is so much fun! Disneyland Park has several attractions that WDW does not have and you should definitely try those and Space Mt. is better at DL. Small World facade is a picture worthy spot and the fireworks have that elusive hidden Mickey firework, watch for it! If Fantasmic is up, which in January or February, I don't know, check it out. VERY different from WDFWs. No amphitheatre, so you have to stake out a spot early or stand. It may be on hiatus at that time of year tho.
Get a good Travel book on Disneyland, I recommend "Birnbaums Disneyland" It will help you with planning your days.
Have fun! Disneyland is the Original and the coziest Park. We love it cause it was the first. There is a lot of Magic there. We love WDW for other reasons,(SO much to do, we spend at least 3 weeks or a month onsite
when we go to WDW) but will always plan a couple trips a year to DL!
I hope you have a great time and come back with some wonderful memories of the little Park!
You will probably not recognize it. It has changed so much! I was astounded when I went back after many years of being away, the lean yrs, I call them! LOL! You will be amazed at the way things look and you will have to figure out the whole new configuratoin of the resort, it is completely different!:)
Mermaid1

disneytopdog

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the great info. I have been eyeing the operation calendar and boy you guys were not kidding. The rehabs are UNREAL. Is there a time when it is slow(crowd wise) and all the rides are open. Its a solo trip so I am totally flexiable on travel dates. Also when is this DCA stuff going to start?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom