A critical look at Epcot

JohnD

Was at Disney this week for a conference, and had a chance to head to Epcot for the afternoon. Being without kids let me take me take off my rose colored glasses and take a critical view.
  1. Spaceship Earth-I'm not sure I'd change much more than updating the script and freshen up the effects.
  2. The Seas-is it me, or is the marine life in the tank a bit sparse. I would like to see more live demonstrations.
  3. The Land-should be fine once Soarin' reopens
  4. Imagination-A waste of real estate, Disney needs to take a hard look at what the mission of this attraction is, and how it fits into the Future World vision. To me, this would be a prime opportunity for a whimiscial "thrill" ride.
  5. Innoventions-I'm perfectly fine using this space exclusively for character greetings, retail and food.
  6. Universe of Energy-badly needed reboot, the script is at least 15 years old (Ellen uses a flip phone!).
  7. I am saddened by the Wonders of Life space being reduced to a festival space.
  8. Mission Space needs a bit of a reboot. While the core ride experience is fine, a new script and better visuals is needed.
  9. Test Track-fine.
  10. Generally, I have no issues with the World Showcase, I think it's held it's relevance far better than many areas of WDW, however.
  11. The circle-vision films in Canada and China need to go, I hated them when I was a kid and they haven't aged well. Perhaps film new Imax-type films and show in a sit-down theater.
  12. Offer fastpasses for some character greetings in WS.
  13. Offer sampling packages to encourage guests to try some cuisines that they wouldn't normally consider.

Agree for the most part. Imagination just doesn't have any right now. I like the circle vision movies. Reboots wouldn't hurt. The standing part especially all day I could do without. Revolving chairs like in a bar. Now we're talking.

JohnD

1. Spaceship Earth: A third of the ride is missing stilll at the end, this needs to be put back in, the ride needs sprucing up and new narration as well as modernisation.
  2. The Seas: Indeed it is lacking a lot of marine life and needs more to see and do, though with animal rights groups complaining, this pavillion will probably be replaced within 30 years.
  3. The Land: Circle of life needs an upgrade or at least changed to Frozen about global warming melting the ice caps and such. Soarin upgrade is a good move. Living with the Land is fine but could have some kind of update too keep it fresh.
  4. Imagination: This whole place needs replacing in to something else with all areas reopened to the public.
  5. Innoventions: Needs to be filled again with exhibits and not just third party, Disney needs to make an effort themselves. Restaurants and shops would be good too.
  6. Universe of Energy: Needs to be ripped out and replaced with the TRON coaster but rethemed to energy instead.. I guess.
  7. Wonders of Life: Needs to reopen with a new theme and new attractions inside.
  8. Mission Space: Needs replacing entirely or just needs a general upgrade and refurb.
  9. Test Track: I prefer the original as it had more substance but is fine for now.
  10. World Showcase: If no more countries are coming then that land needs to be used to add rides to each pavillion; Mt Fuji Coaster in Japan, Boat rides in Germany and Italy, Rethemed Mickey's Fun Wheel in UK (London Eye reference), Rapid water ride in Canada, Ratatouille ride in France, Family friendly dragon coaster in China, move flying carpets from MK to Morocco and so on. All Circlevision films need a serious modern update.

I could debate with you about global warming but, please, for the love of God, no more Frozen! (Not knocking the new additions to Norway but isn't that enough?)

AndyS2992

I could debate with you about global warming but, please, for the love of God, no more Frozen! (Not knocking the new additions to Norway but isn't that enough?)
Yes, reading that back it would be out of place, all Frozen stuff should be kept in Norway. The show still needs updating and should be kept as Lion King (or the new Lion Guard) or changed to Jungle Book. Or better yet just put something new in entirely.

JohnD

Lots of reasons really.

Back when the ride originally opened it was twice the length it is today and was actually considered good. And since then Disney have changed it a few times, and has gotten worse each time and the ride length got cut as stated. And now we have that awful ride we have today. The classic 'Dreamfinder' character was cut and Figment became annoying lol The ride is just bad all round.

Not only that but above Imagination was a big interactive 'play ground' type thing which was closed off and abandoned which people have been bitter about. A similar thing can be found at the end of the ride but on a much smaller scale. There was also a Figment M&G in a room to the side which has also been left abandoned.

Then on top of that Captain EO and Honey I shrunk the audience were left to play well past their welcome which was just cheap and lazy. And now they have both been replaced with a Disney-Pixar short film festival which again was a cheap move especailly so since all the movies playing have already been seen in theaters, on DVD and online. So again, nothing new there.

The whole paviliion is just a complete disaster and a husk of it's former self and needs a huge overhaul.

One nit. It didn't get worse each time. The second version was abysmal. The current version is marginally better than the second but not as good as the first.

YozhikRoth

Original Poster
I'm guessing by your age you never experienced the original. The current version is alright for what it is but doesn't compare to the original. Google it. You'll know why.
Even in it's original state, Imagination felt out of place with the rest of FW. Disney has never really decided if they wanted to make it a scientific examination of imagination and its results, or a full-on whimsy attraction. I personally would like to use something like Toy Story Mania's tech and have riders freeform the attraction while they are waiting on line, seeing the results of their own imagination.

Adam Snider

I'm guessing by your age you never experienced the original. The current version is alright for what it is but doesn't compare to the original. Google it. You'll know why.
yeah, i have looked since i have posted. Wish i would have gone more when i was a child.

AMartin767

Journey into your imagination is the most tragic example of Disney failure. This once charming, sophisticated, beautiful and brilliant attraction has been reduced to a heap of rotting garbage. I feel my heart sink each time I think of what once was compared to now. I have stated this many times in previous threads and I still believe it fully today: JIYI must be returned to it's original form, with modern tech and sensible updates, in it's entirety for Disney to have any hope of redemption. The ride's current form is a travesty and insult to Disney parks legacy. It is Disney at it's worst when cutting corners and failing to follow it's own vision.

morningstar

Even in it's original state, Imagination felt out of place with the rest of FW. Disney has never really decided if they wanted to make it a scientific examination of imagination and its results, or a full-on whimsy attraction.

It did feel a little out of place, but if you think about it, there is no innovation without imagination, so it's actually central to the concept. "But what about science ... science ... science ..." It's not that we use science to look at how imagination works, it's that imagination is how science works. The ride was about pure imagination, of all kinds. Image Works connected it closer to science, with a lot of exhibits giving you the sense of exploring how things work with trial and error.

Honestly it was really one of the most inspired attractions Disney has ever done.

I personally would like to use something like Toy Story Mania's tech and have riders freeform the attraction while they are waiting on line, seeing the results of their own imagination.

I like the idea of creating your own ride experience in a pre-show / queue. What about trackless technology? You could plot your course through the ride. Of course, the computer would add collision avoidance.

KINGLOUIS1993

1. Spaceship Earth - Attraction is good as is.
  2. The Seas - needs more marine life, seems very lacking atm. Maybe it would be better placed in AK.
  3. The Land - Quite like this area, looking forward to the new Soarin'.
  4. Imagination - Not a fan of this attraction at all.
  5. Innoventions - Could do with re-theming, but happy for it to be a HUB for greets, drinks and eats..
  6. Universe of Energy - I would get rid and bring in a fresh new attraction, possibly a coaster.
  7. Wonders of Life - I would change it to an Inside Out themed attraction.
  8. Mission Space - Attraction is fine as is, I actually really like this ride but it could be made better, updated with better screens, a new story/film and maybe more scenarios exploring more planets, stars etc...
  9. Test Track - Attraction is fine as is, although personally I preferred the old one . ;)
  10. World Showcase - I love the concept of it and the areas are all made very very well, would love to see more countries and at least two more attractions. A Ratatouille ride in France and maybe a Dragon ride in China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom