A Crackdown On Seasonal Cast Members who were in the College Program??

radiohost

Original Poster
I have learned that WDW is crunching down on the number of CP Alumni allowed to be seasonal. Is this another union dispute trying to limit cp's at wdw?

ImaYoyo

I have learned that WDW is crunching down on the number of CP Alumni allowed to be seasonal. Is this another union dispute trying to limit cp's at wdw?
Nah, all though I'm sure they're agreeing with it. Too many CPs are "Seasonal" but don't work a single day and just end up being a "Self Term". And it's not just CPs, it's ALL seasonal are being watched more carefully. My father was a seasonal Photopass Photographer, he worked like 1 week every 6 months, but hadn't picked up a single day the last six months, so he was 'termed'.

brandonz

I was a cp in spring 06 and turned seasonal when my program ended and worked from the beginning of May until the end of July as a seasonal cm. Called down and was told I was going to be scheduled over my spring break only to find out when I got down there I was termed. Needless to say my managers didn't tell me, I found out from my friend who was a coordinator that I was termed. Luckily I was staying with my sister so I had a free place to stay for 2 weeks but I thought the managers were lacking a little magic when they didn't tell me I was termed when I called and let them know my availability.

coasterphil

Disney isn't having many problems staffing at this point so why allow a bunch of people to collect on the benefits of being a CM if they have no intention of working more than a handful of days a year if they work at all.

kcw

Disney isn't having many problems staffing at this point so why allow a bunch of people to collect on the benefits of being a CM if they have no intention of working more than a handful of days a year if they work at all.

but then the flipside is people like me, who are seasonal, and can only work a "handful of days a year" (I worked about 12 days last year) because I live on the other side of the country and flights are RIDICULOUS. Add that to hotel, transportation, etc, and it gets super expensive. BUT I didn't stay seasonal solely for the benefits, yes they're nice, yes I go to DLR fairly frequently, but the main reason is because I plan on moving back and going FT when I graduate, so it just made sense to stay after my CP, keep my feet in the water, and make the transition easier when the time comes... and since I've gotten different answers from diff people about the required amount of work per year, I'd be one PEEVED person if I found out they termed me when I went down there to work. Peeved is actually quite an understatement....:lol: Anyways, even getting to work for just a week a year makes time fly by faster for me. I'd be sad if for some reason I couldn't keep my seasonal status.

brandonz

but then the flipside is people like me, who are seasonal, and can only work a "handful of days a year" (I worked about 12 days last year) because I live on the other side of the country and flights are RIDICULOUS. Add that to hotel, transportation, etc, and it gets super expensive. BUT I didn't stay seasonal solely for the benefits, yes they're nice, yes I go to DLR fairly frequently, but the main reason is because I plan on moving back and going FT when I graduate, so it just made sense to stay after my CP, keep my feet in the water, and make the transition easier when the time comes... and since I've gotten different answers from diff people about the required amount of work per year, I'd be one PEEVED person if I found out they termed me when I went down there to work. Peeved is actually quite an understatement....:lol: Anyways, even getting to work for just a week a year makes time fly by faster for me. I'd be sad if for some reason I couldn't keep my seasonal status.
That's exactly why I went seasonal after my program. I had to come home and finish school and planned on moving down when I was done in August '07 and figured being seasonal would make the transition easier. Lets just say when I found out from my friend not a manager I wasn't very happy. When I explained my situation to them, how I called and THEY told me I was scheduled to work, I took time from my job here at home and was out the outrageous airfare all they could say was sorry that's not our problem.

coasterphil

If they have a bunch of locals ready to jump in as part/full timers though why wait around for the CP's to finish whatever it is they need to get done before trying to move back?

rainfully

From what I undersand, the general policy is to term CPs after their program, and then when they come back, they have to go to casting to be "rehired." It might vary from location to location, though. I know at my location, we desperately need those reqs for seasonal workers, and need to leave them open for people who actually plan on working more than once a year.

EDIT: Not only that, but it's hard for out of town seasonals to keep up with the required continual training... they get behind and that messes up the numbers for the location and makes it look bad!

sandicinderelli

I didn't even apply to go seasonal. My area automatically put me seasonal after my program. It's very discouraging to find out that they could term you if you can't come down to work more than once a year. And they can't tell you if there are any shifts until 2 weeks before you plan to work.

The continental US is a lot of land to cover, and college students can't always go online and buy plane tickets willy nilly. Here's to wishing that more and more people at Disney become more sympathetic to that.

ImaYoyo

I didn't even apply to go seasonal. My area automatically put me seasonal after my program. It's very discouraging to find out that they could term you if you can't come down to work more than once a year. And they can't tell you if there are any shifts until 2 weeks before you plan to work.

The continental US is a lot of land to cover, and college students can't always go online and buy plane tickets willy nilly. Here's to wishing that more and more people at Disney become more sympathetic to that.
But the reason for it is that it's not needed. If we were in immediate need of more seasonal CMs, we wouldn't have this policy. What I don't understand is people wanting to work 2 days a year and get benefits. What company does this? None!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom