A cool "wishfull thinking" idea (prob not original)

WDWHeadBanger

Original Poster
I have thought about it recently, and disney has alot of "extinct" attractions, many of them missed sorely by a good amount of us. I think it would be extremely cool to have a park with nothing but extinct attractions! Just the way they were. Disney must have the o riginal soundtracks in an archive somewhere, so that shouldn't be a problem. And who is better at recreating scenes then disney? Honestly! The only major problem I could think of is organizing it. Although the genuises at WDW could probably do that easily. Im sure between all of the Disney Parks there are more then enough attractions to fill up this hypothetical park. Heck, they could even let the public vote on the first wave of attractions that would be up for "opening day" ceremonies. As I said, this is wishful thinking, and I apologize in advance if this has been discussed oodles of times before, but you patient people can just deal with it :D

Please feel free to share your thoughts and if you have any ideas on how to organize it, list em below. And lets not have any naysayers up in here because this is a "wishful thinking" thread and I don't care how unlikely it is for disney to do this.

Have Fun!

Chris

BonzoAPD

I actually think it is a pretty cool idea. There is probably no chance in hell of that happening but a very cool and very different idea :)

rainfully

Yeah... there would definitely be no way that could ever happen. I always thought though that instead of just destroying the attractions they should ship them off to different cities... that way there'd be a bit of Disney in every city. Like imagine Horizons in Seattle or If You Had Wings in New Orleans. Once again, I know that couldn't happen either but how awesome would it be if they announced a former Disney attraction opening in a city near you?

BeachClubVillas

psuchad said:
Rides go extinct for a reason. Why would they ever rebuild them?

Because there are nuts like us who obsess and would love to visit a park and ride Horizons, World of Motion, Mr Toad, 20K, and the Skyway again, just to name a few. :lol: :p

psuchad

BeachClubVillas said:
Because there are nuts like us who obsess and would love to visit a park and ride Horizons, World of Motion, Mr Toad, 20K, and the Skyway again, just to name a few. :lol: :p

I never doubted that crazy people would like to see the old rides come back. It is just impractical. Sort of like saying you would like Elvis to go on tour again. Then again maybe he will.:p

WDWHeadBanger

Original Poster
Booo to the naysayer...Anyway...Rides don't always go extinct because people don't ride them. Sometimes it has to do with the maintence issues etc because there is not the technoligy readily available at the time to maintain the ride at a cost effective rate. Im sorry, but sometimes the head honchos around disney, as well as the people who whine about a ride being "outdated" realize alot of the time after the ride closes, that it was indeed fun, classic and well missed. I still think the park would be a success and a great idea.

MeTa

I wouldnt be surprised if it would draw more of the older croud including the older ones that never went. Especially seniors, because most of those old rides were slower and it would make for more of a slow paced day. I like the idea alot, those rides were better than anything there is to offer today (although they arent that bad)

lebeau

I think it's a neat idea, but realistically it would never work. Sure, there are a lot of Disneyana nostalgia nuts out there. But do you honestly think there are enough to fill a park year-round? I see a park with between 100-1000 people on any given day. And any non-Disney-obsessed types wandering around scratching their heads and wondering "where are the thrill rides?" (well, except for Alien Encounter I guess).

If they built it and I had a parkhopper, I'd stop in. But I wouldn't pay for a day's admission. And I'm a big enough Disney fan to participate in a WDW forum :)

TheOneVader

Although it would be feasible, Disney would never go for it. Take a look at the extinct attractions. They all have totally different themes. How would they put them all into one theme park and have them fit? If they were held by a "nostalgic" theme or something, regular guests would most likely bypass it saying "I don't remember that stuff anyway, and I want to go on the new, fast rides, so I'll just stick to the other parks."

bhg469

too much pink floyd for you buddy ;) j/k i would love it, i actually wasss thinking about that today when i was thking about 20k

TheOneVader

Wait a minute.. I just realized something... Is it just me, or are most Disney Freak hypocrites? Hear me out, now... There are always discussion about how cloning is bad and we need original rides, and yet people here are supporting a whole theme park dedicated to clones of old rides from the past? Just thinking out loud, here...

KaliSplash

You don't here me complaining about rides getting old.
Okay, I'll admit the Plaza Swan Boats and Davy Crockett Canoes didn't have much going for them, but I'd love to ride them once, since I never did when I could.

aeillill

let's just build a time machine and go back, sadly there's about as much of a chance of that happening as them building a park devoted to all the older rides, but, one could always wish couldn't we?

bucklmd

Yesteryear Kingdom?

Honestly, old attractions aside, if they do have a whole theme park based on the future like Epcot (minus World Showcase), then why couldn't they have a whole theme park dedicated to the past? Not necessarily Disney past, but just history and the past in general. I guess they have some of that stuff incorporated into other parks such as Frontierland and dinosaur attractions, but I could see it being educational and entertaining. Imagine having a whole land devoted to the ice age and all attractions themed towards ice and glaciers and sliding around on them. Etc. etc.

matt88mph

Wow, I just had a deep non-drug-induced thought:

If we bring all the extinct attractions back and put them in a park (which I've talked about with my dad, and we call it "Memory Lane"), they wouldn't be extinct anymore, and typical conversations would go like this:

(at Test Track)
Child: That ride was great!
Adult: Yeah, but not as good as the ride that was here when I was your age.
Child: What was that?
Adult: It was called World of Motion, and it talked all about transportation, and where mankind was going and how it could get there.
Child: Wow, sounds great! (After a brief silence) Can we do that next?

And all WDW-related nostalgia would cease to exist, thereby creating a potential paradox (if we knew all nostalgia would end, what would be the point of creating a nostalgia-based theme park?). Yeah, I know I've watched too much Back to the Future.

Not to say I wouldn't like to see some of my favorite rides one more time.

mickeykid79

Thats nice, but what about new venues!

On the GREAT carousel of Progress it is mentioned:

"There are people who keep saying turn back, turn back. But there is NO
is not turning back! Not on this carousel. We must keep moving forward."
As technology progresses, rides like the skyway, would look like a fish out of water.

Lets put these attractions, in the back burner and lets work on new creative ideas. Right now my friends and I are working on plans for a new theme park, called The Disney Gardens. Ill be displaying pictures and models of it on the web soon. It will have totally new attractions and some new twist of retired shows.

TinkerBell9988

I don't know, but I am all for an "extinct attractions" park, or at least an "extinct attractions" area of one of theme parks. EPCOT still has some room... :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom