A bit disturbing

wogwog

Original Poster
Not sure where this belongs. It involves DCL, WDW parks, and MyMagic minus snooping. If this posts goes elsewhere move it if it makes sense. I am a bit disturbed at another type of tracking this new minus rubber band is doing that I just found out about.

A relative I just cruised with on DCL tells me she just today received a very long survey from Disney telling her that since they noticed she got of the Dream on Thursday and went to Hollywood Studios the same night and Epcot Friday night would she answer a questionnaire. She is a local here in Florida and met friends visiting for dinner both nights. She only used her AP to enter the parks. She did not ride anything, buy anything, pay for the meals, or get any MYMagic minus interaction of any kind other than park entry to get to the restaurant.

It disturbs me that Disney is comparing DCL passengers with park visitation. I know why they want to do this but I find it creepy. I was on the same cruise but did not visit a park and did not receive the questionnaire. Some of you will view this a paranoia but I do not like the continuous increase of data gathering.

The questionnaire was very slanted to make anything put positive answers difficult to convey. It was interactive so that when she rated something less than "magical" it came back with questions to try to sway her opinion.

I am curious if anyone else has encountered this intrusion.

Disney will not like her reply.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It disturbs me that Disney is comparing DCL passengers with park visitation. I know why they want to do this but I find it creepy. I was on the same cruise but did not visit a park and did not receive the questionnaire. Some of you will view this a paranoia but I do not like the continuous increase of data gathering.

Newsflash... DCL and WDW are both part of the same Parks & Resorts division of the company. Disney also heavily markets combining park visits and cruises... and the only place Disney offers Ground transportation to the port is the airport and... WDW. So the idea DCL is interested in people that do both parks and cruises should be no shocker.

By using her AP, she identified herself to the company. As for fear of cross-reference... again it's all P&R.

Tom

Beta Return
Google does the same thing, just in the form of personalized ads on the websites you visit, instead of a survey.

Your grocery store does it, just with personalized coupons that print out when you check out.

Your favorite restaurant does this if you are part of their loyalty program, by sending you e-mails with discounts on your favorite dishes if you haven't been in a while.

Nothing creepy about this. Computers are analyzing mass amounts of data, making assessments, and generating e-mails. It's not as if it's some guy sitting in his mom's basement watching your every move.

jlsHouston

Google does the same thing, just in the form of personalized ads on the websites you visit, instead of a survey.

Your grocery store does it, just with personalized coupons that print out when you check out.

Your favorite restaurant does this if you are part of their loyalty program, by sending you e-mails with discounts on your favorite dishes if you haven't been in a while.

Nothing creepy about this. Computers are analyzing mass amounts of data, making assessments, and generating e-mails. It's not as if it's some guy sitting in his mom's basement watching your every move.

Well....I'm sure you're right. Google is collecting data from our computer/tablets/phones and selling it...but it is kind of creepy to have your vacation spot contact you and mention.. hey we noticed you left point A and then spent time over at point C and then bypassed B and ended up at ...Z. take our survey so we can see why you did what you did and didn't do something else..

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
hey we noticed you left point A and then spent time over at point C and then bypassed B and ended up at ...Z. take our survey so we can see why you did what you did and didn't do something else..

No.. that's what the OP laid on the table for people to infer... but actually didn't happen. All they did know was they were on a cruise certain days, and then were at certain WDW parks on certain days.

5thGenTexan

I don't know... Maybe they are running numbers on people who cruise and visit the parks before or after. Perhaps it will result in some land/sea package deals. You know with real discounts and all.

jlsHouston

No.. that's what the OP laid on the table for people to infer... but actually didn't happen. All they did know was they were on a cruise certain days, and then were at certain WDW parks on certain days.

ahhhh..okay...well then I think @Animaniac93-98 had a good solution, ignore the survey. Anyways lots of people book the cruise and stay at WDW before or after, I see the cruise bus at the resorts every day I am on property.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand how this is any different than before my magic started...

The only difference is new awareness of data mining. Awareness raised as the data mining is one of the core concepts NextGen tech further enables.

Is anything really different here for the customer? No

FettFan

I also especially like how the band alerts them when you go near any other amusement park. You wear that band to a Six Flags and the Disney goes into 'Fatal Attraction I-Will-Not-Be-Ignored Mode'.

You can prevent this by putting a slip of aluminum foil under the wristband.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom