A bit disturbing

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Again, this has nothing to do with Magicbands or MyMagic+. DCL isn't tied in to your MDE account, so how could having a Magicband factor into this at all? A name and address are on the cruise reservation. The same name and address are tied to the AP. Disney just connected the dots.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not sure where this belongs. It involves DCL, WDW parks, and MyMagic minus snooping. If this posts goes elsewhere move it if it makes sense. I am a bit disturbed at another type of tracking this new minus rubber band is doing that I just found out about.

A relative I just cruised with on DCL tells me she just today received a very long survey from Disney telling her that since they noticed she got of the Dream on Thursday and went to Hollywood Studios the same night and Epcot Friday night would she answer a questionnaire. She is a local here in Florida and met friends visiting for dinner both nights. She only used her AP to enter the parks. She did not ride anything, buy anything, pay for the meals, or get any MYMagic minus interaction of any kind other than park entry to get to the restaurant.

It disturbs me that Disney is comparing DCL passengers with park visitation. I know why they want to do this but I find it creepy. I was on the same cruise but did not visit a park and did not receive the questionnaire. Some of you will view this a paranoia but I do not like the continuous increase of data gathering.

The questionnaire was very slanted to make anything put positive answers difficult to convey. It was interactive so that when she rated something less than "magical" it came back with questions to try to sway her opinion.

I am curious if anyone else has encountered this intrusion.

Disney will not like her reply.
FYI. It's MyMagic- not MyMagic minus :rolleyes:

rob0519

Exactly, nothing is different. I don't understand how guests can be "disturbed."

Data mining or tracking has been going on for years behind the scenes and mostly unknown to the consumer. With the advancement in technologies and the reporting of these technologies in the media more and more people are now becoming aware of just how much data is being collected on each of us. As people, particularly non-technical people, become more aware of just how much privacy we no longer have, it's actually quite easy to see how it can be unsettling to some people.

cw1982

I guess this just doesn't bother me because I figure that, if I'm on private property, the group that owns that property has the right to use reasonable a methods that don't inconvenience me or compromise my experience in any way to learn from what their guests are doing. They would be silly to not take advantage of the opportunity to use such data to drive further business decisions.

Now, if they got to the point where they were wanting specific details about my home, my financial records, my health, or something else that was none of their business, I would be a bit disturbed. But them just wanting to know more about what choices I make in regards to visiting their parks doesn't strike me as an invasion of my privacy. I understand it's a slippery slope, but nonetheless there has to be a line somewhere, and to me this doesn't cross it.

Of course, as others have already said, no one is obligated to complete a survey. If you don't like the questions, just don't answer them.

Tonka's Skipper

Disney is the last of your problems if this type of tracking it a concern for you.

All credit and debit cards track what you buy and where. Your cell phone racks where you go, what stores you enter or venues etc..

Then they are sell it the marketing companies. Much of this is to marketing groups already tied into the computer systems. THIS IS HOW They can quickly send to marketing posts and ads.

AKK

sjhym333

I recently did a search for something on Amazon and noticed that on some other sites that Amazon buys ad space on has options there related to that search. I knew that it was going on but still a little surprised to see the items I searched there in the ad

GrumpyFan

Not creepy to me at all. By purchasing a ticket on the cruise and/or to the parks, you've given them your information for many years. Now it's just easier for them to tie it all together, all with the intent of providing a better experience. Well, actually it's all with the intent of getting you to spend more.

What's creepy to me are the online ads of places/things I've searched recently. These show up for days on end and I really get annoyed with them, and if anything it makes me less interested in purchasing them than it does more so.

Disneyfamily4

I had a friend who got her stroller taken while on Buzz in MK. After she filled out a report with security, the guard told her that someone probably took it by mistake. The security guard then told her that he will look in other stroller areas to see if your stroller is there, then he will find her later to let her know if it was found. A few hours later, she was having a cigarette in the designated area near the BarnStormer, and a different security guard came up to her and said, sorry, we cant find your stroller, call lost & found in a few days.

She felt a little creeped out. She never got her band read when filing the report and was surprised that at nighttime, a different person tracked her down in the smoking area. That's the power of the band.

JoeT63

Welcome to Earth in the age of direct marketing. If you don't like it, I guess all you can do is get off the grid. Though it's also becoming more and more difficult to even do that!

Bairstow

Before facial recognition destroys all of "public" privacy, automatic license plate reader technology will do the same thing for roads. Right now, quietly, most police departments are buying systems that allow their cars to instantly recognize the identity and direction of every other car on the road (or parking lot) around them and record this to a large and quickly-growing national database. The contracts for using this technology often include secrecy agreements between the police department and the specialized camera and software vendors that forbids them from talking about the fact that this stuff exists. However, it's not the cops I'm worried about; they're somewhat limited with what they're allowed to do once they have the data. Private corporations are not. Soon, your car insurance company will probably offer you a substantial discount to install one of these cameras on your own car. Its function will ostensibly be to monitor your own driving to reward you for doing so safely, but its actual purpose will be to collect massive amounts of data about what everyone else is doing on the road, where they're going, and who's riding with them. They can then assess the information and adjust an individual's insurance rate accordingly, then turn around and sell the data of where everyone's been and where they're going to directed advertising firms, private detectives, or whoever. Unlike Disney's MagicBand, the only way to opt out of this future is to wear a burka and stay on the sidewalks.

113012-ev-readers-kdj07.jpg

EOD K9

My first cruise on the Dream was paid for in cash and I am a DVC member. When my reservations were made, nothing was said about that fact. A few weeks later I received a call from DVC advising us they had a gathering of members in the D Lounge on embarkation day. I also had a DVC magnet on my stateroom door. Everything is linked.
I have plate reading software on my cruiser, it lets me know if a stolen vehicle or if used in a crime is close by. Other than that, I don't do anything else with that info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom