A "Big" Question

awitelin

My husband and I are taking a trip to the World in September. I've been really concerned about riding the thrill rides (roller coasters and the like) in Disney. I love coasters, but have a difficult time fitting into the seats at many theme parks, often just barely squeezing in, and spending the entire ride in pain as the lap bar or seat sides beat up my thighs.

I am 5' 6'' and 250, and my body shape is more or less like a giant-boned Barbie - big bust and big hips/thighs. I have read the tips on All Ears Net but it seems that most of the trip reports come from folks who carry their weight around their middle, which isn't my body problem, so those reports might not be of any use to me specifically.

I could really use some advice/assurance from women who are plushy on top and bottom. What rides were no problem, which were a tight squeeze, and which ones are a no-go?

EdinburghTink

Dont worry about anything, i'm like you, just bigger and taller too!!!The biggest squeeze i have is space mountain but really just cos i've got long legs!I can't say theres anything else in wdw that bothers me.

Upvote 0

JoeRhode4ever

awitelin said:
I am 5' 6''
:eek: Woah... Im that same hieght and i am only 12... :lol:

Anyway. Yeah i know what you mean. Space Mountain really does get cramped. I barley have any room for my legs on it, so i sometimes disobey the rules and put my legs outside the viechles:lookaroun

Upvote 0

awitelin

Original Poster
Upvote 0

snakeislandboy

I went with a youth group this summer. One of our chaperone's fits your description very closely. I wouldn't worry about any ride; she rode them all easily. The "thrill rides" at other parks have inverts and twists that require more secure restraints. Of course if you are concerned before you get on a ride, you can talk with a castmember (you can find them at the front of a fastpass line.) Some rides have test seats so you wont have to wait in line. Don't worry, go and have fun, I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Upvote 0

luvGoofy

I am exactly the same height and weight with what sounds like a similar shape. I haven't had any problems at all on any disney rides from the big ones down to goofy's barnstormer with my daughter I haven't experienced any problems and we always have a great time!!Don't sweat it you will do just fine:D

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A number of the rides have discretely placed sample ride vehicles where you can "test fit" before riding. I don't know if they all do, but if you ask the CM at the entrance to the ride, they'll let you know.

Upvote 0
My wife is the same height as you and a couple of pounds heavier. The only ride that she didn't enjoy due to lack of room was at the Disney MGM Studios and that was the Star Wars ride. The seats are very close together and if you are in the middle it is very tight. Other than that she never made mention of any other rides that she had a problem with.
I am 6 foot 5 inches and 290 pounds and the only other ride that I have a problem with is in the Magic Kingdom and that is Space Mountain. I am just a bit to big for it

We will also be down is September for the 16 -28 maybe we will run into.

Have a great holiday

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

A number of the rides have discretely placed sample ride vehicles where you can "test fit" before riding. I don't know if they all do, but if you ask the CM at the entrance to the ride, they'll let you know.

I have seen that at IOA, but not disney.

Try getting into Space at 6'4". I can almost rest my head on my knees.:lol:

Upvote 0

2excitedkids

we were just there in feb, i am 5 foot 11 inches tall and pushing the big 3 and my hubby is 6 foot 4 and pushing about the same. we were very worried because i love thrill rides and i have been to busch gardens when i was only about 220 pounds and couldn't fit into some rides and had to get off, how embarrassing and what a waste of time standing in line. disney has done a great job to ensure most people can fit. here are a list of rides we rode:

MK
POTC - no probs
Magic carpets of Aladdin - i rode with my petite 4 year old, but if she was any bigger i would have squished her

tea cups - i was wedged, well my legs were anyway, but we had 2 adults and 2 kids all on one

BTMR - had to cross legs for leg room, but other than that fine

Splash Mountain - no problem

Haunted Mansion - no problem

small world - no problem

snow white - no problem

dumbo - no problem, i always rode with the smaller kid

EPCOT:
soarin - no problem
test track - get the front for more leg room, i did have trouble trying to get my seat belt buckled, not for fit, it was just hard to see where it fastened at, it was a squeeze but bearable, i rode it 2x's

spaceship earth - fine

MGM
tower of terror - no problem

AK
ks - no problem

As you can tell, my hubby is a chicken butt and the kids were too small to ride Rockin roller coaster, space mountain and expedition everest with me, but i am sure it wouldn't be a prob, i was there 10 years ago at the same size and road everything else that was there with no problem.

i feel your apprehension, i checked a lot of sites before i went to make sure i wouldn't have a problem

Upvote 0

kstella

I am "plushy" on top and bottom with fairly wide hips. I really have only been uncomfortable in Space Mountain and Test Track. I actually find my biggest problem being the turnstiles! :( Fortunately MK is really the only place that still has the old type of turnstile and cast members are generally very good about allowing me to go through the stroller/wheelchair gates instead.:)

Upvote 0

PilotWife

Hi - I am a female and about 5 yrs ago I was very much the way you are describing yourself with the exception of height I am shorter by 4". I had no problems what so ever with any ride. Turnstiles were an issue, but I only had to stand on tip toes and twist as I went thru. You should go with no worries.

Jennifer

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom