A, B, C, D, or E Ticket?

Purduevian

Original Poster
I see a lot of debate over what to call some attractions ticket designation, so I decided to poll the community to see if there is a general consensus on some attractions. A few things to note:
1)All attractions listed are from the Disney World Website, no attractions were excluded
2)Entertainment was not included in this round. If this sparks enough discussion I will probably make another one with entertainment.
3) If you are unfamiliar with the History of Tickets or what this even means, I suggest reading this before taking the poll http://www.justdisney.com/features/tickets.html

Links to Polls:
Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom

Purduevian

Original Poster
Just to follow up in case anyone was interested in the results:

E Ticket Attractions:
1585143739668.png

D Ticket Attractions:
1585143778676.png

C Ticket Attractions:
1585143817880.png

B Ticket Attractions:
1585144127930.png

A Ticket Attractions:
1585144160453.png

Attractions that would not Require a Ticket:
1585144205635.png

There were some interesting results, and trying to lump certain attractions into a Ticket was tough. Let me know if you want to see the breakdown of any of the attractions!

Attachments

• 1585143878312.png
    1585143878312.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 1585143910723.png
    1585143910723.png
    66 KB · Views: 136
  • 1585143978594.png
    1585143978594.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 123

Purduevian

Original Poster
No shows included? Voyage? BATB? Indiana Jones?
I only included "Attractions" as defined on the Disney World Website, not "Entertainment". Some of these certainly toe the line between the two, but that is how Disney has it set up on their website. I was debating doing another one about entertainment, but with the lack of discussion on this, I probably won't bother.
People would really watch Tiki Room over Country Bears??? Jesus Christ.
1585163344611.png

1585163391696.png

They were extremely close. I gave Country Bear an A ticket because 53.6% of people said A or no ticket. Tiki Room got a B because 58.4% said B Ticket or greater. Honestly both were right on the line of an A/B ticket, but I had to pick where to draw the line while looking at the pie chart.

The Empress Lilly

Seabase Alpha: no ticket required
A-ticket: Canada & China movie
B ticket: American Adventure and BatB sing-a-long
C--ticket: LwtL
D-ticket: SSE
E-ticket: Frozen Ever After

Well when you attract clowns like this you can't really fault management for destroying EPCOT for a dumb coaster&toons park.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Seabase Alpha: no ticket required
A-ticket: Canada & China movie
B ticket: American Adventure and BatB sing-a-long
C--ticket: LwtL
D-ticket: SSE
E-ticket: Frozen Ever After

Well when you attract clowns like this you can't really fault management for destroying EPCOT for a dumb coaster&toons park.
I could easily see the general public voting this. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people.

UNCgolf

Frozen Ever After as an E-ticket is hilarious. It would be by far the worst E-ticket ever built; it's a disappointment even as a C-ticket. It's especially bizarre since the voters correctly identified Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh as C-tickets and Frozen Ever After is no better than either of those rides.

They correspond to FP+ tiers, though, which is probably why people voted that way.

Purduevian

Original Poster
Just as a note, I did post the questionnaires both here and Reddit, in an attempt to get more responses. It is possible to see a breakdown of every single right by following these links:
Magic Kingdom: https://forms.gle/2YyiB4akFkM9ZFPbA

Epcot: https://forms.gle/ZtpKGyk8xtFQdLNS9

Hollywood Studios: https://forms.gle/SUwUcrQQtQonecid8

Animal Kingdom: https://forms.gle/9KeNeVXH2vnZHmi27

Just a note, not all the results fall nicely into a single ticket, look at Hall of Presidents and Stitche's Great Escape for some rough ones.

Goofyernmost

If this thread tells us nothing else, it tells us that the old, long dead, alpha system isn't now and never was a measure of detail or quality. It was a measure of popularity. The purpose of the "letter" system was to generate more revenue for the parks. You wouldn't do that with an E that no one wanted to go see. Taking into account that the vast majority are simply sheep and will flock to a classification assigned by someone else it isn't surprising that in the 50's that system worked. You were told what you enjoyed and you just went along. I have stated before that the constant use of that system today is just a waste of time and meaningless. Go to what you enjoy, don't go to the ones you don't like and everyone will leave happy. Heaven forbid that should happen.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If this thread tells us nothing else, it tells us that the old, long dead, alpha system isn't now and never was a measure of detail or quality. It was a measure of popularity. The purpose of the "letter" system was to generate more revenue for the parks. You wouldn't do that with an E that no one wanted to go see. Taking into account that the vast majority are simply sheep and will flock to a classification assigned by someone else it isn't surprising that in the 50's that system worked. You were told what you enjoyed and you just went along. I have stated before that the constant use of that system today is just a waste of time and meaningless. Go to what you enjoy, don't go to the ones you don't like and everyone will leave happy. Heaven forbid that should happen.
You hit the nail on the head. The letters only represent popularity, not the actual quality of the attraction.

I would also argue that all theatre-attractions are As and Bs because of their high capacity, being able to take in more guests.

justintheharris

Frozen Ever After as an E-ticket is hilarious. It would be by far the worst E-ticket ever built; it's a disappointment even as a C-ticket. It's especially bizarre since the voters correctly identified Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh as C-tickets and Frozen Ever After is no better than either of those rides.

They correspond to FP+ tiers, though, which is probably why people voted that way.
I would argue that the animatronics of Frozen SLIGHTLY bump it up. I definitely don't think it should be an E ticket but the music and animatronics and a couple of nice sets (the first three with Olaf, then Anna and Kristoff and then Elsa) probably put it in the D ticket category... for now. Over time as technology improves across the resort, I would knock it down to a C ticket.

UNCgolf

I would argue that the animatronics of Frozen SLIGHTLY bump it up. I definitely don't think it should be an E ticket but the music and animatronics and a couple of nice sets (the first three with Olaf, then Anna and Kristoff and then Elsa) probably put it in the D ticket category... for now. Over time as technology improves across the resort, I would knock it down to a C ticket.

I rode it for the first time in January and thought the animatronics were the only good thing about the ride. Everything else seemed tremendously underbuilt. Even the animatronics had a slight issue because of the projected faces -- they look great when you're looking at them straight on, but as the ride moves past the animatronics the faces look distorted and bizarre.

As much as people bash NRJ, I think it's a better ride than FEA and if I had to wait 60 minutes for one of them I'd easily pick NRJ (although I wouldn't wait 60 minutes for either).

justintheharris

I rode it for the first time in January and thought the animatronics were the only good thing about the ride. Everything else seemed tremendously underbuilt. Even the animatronics had a slight issue because of the projected faces -- they look great when you're looking at them straight on, but as the ride moves past the animatronics the faces look distorted and bizarre.

As much as people bash NRJ, I think it's a better ride than FEA and if I had to wait 60 minutes for one of them I'd easily pick NRJ (although I wouldn't wait 60 minutes for either).
Oh it's definitely suffering from the fact that they built it in an already determined box (Maelstrom) but given that it will be in Hong Kong and Paris, those versions of the ride will almost certainly be a lot better and probably be worthy of a solid D ticket. At least for a while.

UNCgolf

Oh it's definitely suffering from the fact that they built it in an already determined box (Maelstrom) but given that it will be in Hong Kong and Paris, those versions of the ride will almost certainly be a lot better and probably be worthy of a solid D ticket. At least for a while.

I was really disappointed when I found out they were essentially cloning it for Paris. I know they're planning to add a couple of show scenes, but it seems like a tremendous waste to not take the opportunity to build something big and impressive for one of their most successful movies. FEA had a million constraints based on having to fit it into an existing location built for a totally different ride; why in the world would you choose to use that as a base design?

They should have ignored the retrofitted FEA and designed something from scratch. They're basically hamstringing the new rides for no good reason (cost savings alone, I assume). It really feels like a cheap out.

justintheharris

I was really disappointed when I found out they were essentially cloning it for Paris. I know they're planning to add a couple of show scenes, but it seems like a tremendous waste to not take the opportunity to build something big and impressive for one of their most successful movies. FEA had a million constraints based on having to fit it into an existing location built for a totally different ride; why in the world would you choose to use that as a base design?

They should have ignored the retrofitted FEA and designed something from scratch. They're basically hamstringing the new rides for no good reason (cost savings alone, I assume). It really feels like a cheap out.
Maybe I heard wrong but from what I had gathered, the show building is going to be substantially larger with more show scenes and probably more elaborate sets... can someone verify that?

UNCgolf

Maybe I heard wrong but from what I had gathered, the show building is going to be substantially larger with more show scenes and probably more elaborate sets... can someone verify that?

It is going to be larger with more scenes. That's not what I'm saying.

According to Martin (I asked him in another thread), they're still using FEA as a base, which means it's still going to essentially be a book report ride with a few scattered scenes of the characters. It'll have most or all of the same scenes as FEA with a couple added. They should have used the opportunity to build something new and exciting -- there's no way they would have built FEA at WDW if they'd been able to design it from scratch; it only exists the way it does because that was all they could do in the Maelstrom space.

@marni1971 Wanted to make sure I'm right and not misremembering what you said. It's basically just going to be an upgraded FEA with a couple of extra scenes, right?

EDIT: I'm not sure calling it a book report ride is accurate. Is there even a book report style plot in FEA? Now that I'm thinking about it, it felt like it was just some scenes showing you Frozen characters without any specific beginning or ending, but I could be remembering it wrong.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The ticket system just rated attractions by popularity. It was never used to describe how good an attraction was or how big the budget was.

That's not true at all.

After paying an admission fee, each ride had a cost attached to it. Originally, Disney charged more for the rides that cost more to make. Which seems reasonable. E Tickets cost more to buy than a D Ticket which cost more than a C, and so on. And that's because E Ticket rides cost more to create and operate than D Ticket rides which cost more to create and operate than a C, and so on.

When Disney started selling books of tickets which had a small discount to them, the Ticket Grade system started to also be used to move crowds around as well as recoup the expense of a ride. If tickets were only sold individually, then most people would likely only buy E Tickets because E Tickets were generally more popular because E Ticket rides had a lot more money poured into them to make the more elaborate, and thus, more popular.

The books threw in a bunch of lower grade tickets which sort of enticed crowds to go on the cheaper rides. (Sounds a lot like FP+ and its tiers, don't it?).

And over time, the ticket grades were further used for crowd control. When Alice's ride premiered, it was a D Ticket. Then it got bumped to a C, then a B. That's because it had high capacity and wasn't drawing large crowds and large lines. The Astro/Orbiter/Jet spinner premiered as a B Ticket because it was just a cheap spinner. But, with very low capacity, it had long lines. So, bumped up to a D Ticket. It's not like either ride suddenly became better or worse... it was crowd control.

But for most people not knowing about the cost of the rides and crowd manipulation as the reason for a ticket's grade, they just assumed that an E Ticket was the most popular and most fanciest of rides. Which was generally true... but sometime not. Remember, Pack Mules and Country Bears were E Tickets. While the crowd-favorites Autopia/Speedway and Peter Pan were C's.

For more...

justintheharris

It is going to be larger with more scenes. That's not what I'm saying.

According to Martin (I asked him in another thread), they're still using FEA as a base, which means it's still going to essentially be a book report ride with a few scattered scenes of the characters. It'll have most or all of the same scenes as FEA with a couple added. They should have used the opportunity to build something new and exciting -- there's no way they would have built FEA at WDW if they'd been able to design it from scratch; it only exists the way it does because that was all they could do in the Maelstrom space.

@marni1971 Wanted to make sure I'm right and not misremembering what you said. It's basically just going to be an upgraded FEA with a couple of extra scenes, right?

EDIT: I'm not sure calling it a book report ride is accurate. Is there even a book report style plot in FEA? Now that I'm thinking about it, it felt like it was just some scenes showing you Frozen characters without any specific beginning or ending, but I could be remembering it wrong.
Well a few added scenes from my standpoint would make the ride substantially stronger. So that information alone is more than enough for me to call it a D ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom