Cast Member Standards

Rescue Ranger

Original Poster
As another visit comes to a close I'm left taken aback by the current standard and quality of the Cast Members Disney is hiring - what happened?

Don't get me wrong, there are still some AMAZING cast members here but they are few and far between. The younger CMs especially. Miserable. Absolutely no knowledge of the property. Characters. Parks. You name it. Overall friendliness just doesn't seem to be what it was.

If you work in WDW have no clue what a 'Figment' is or work next to Epcot yet have never seen the fireworks or work at Riviera but don't know there is a restaurant on the top floor or appraoch a cast member in full uniform about a wheelchair and they answer back "not now sorry, my shift is ending" and walks away - I've never seen such a lack of interest or poor attitude from Cast here.

Much like the attention to detail and upkeep of the resorts compared to years back, I always say to myself it's going to improve yet each time I visit it seems to deteriorate further. One step forward and 2+ steps back.

I still love it here however the lasting impression I'm left with is not what it used to be and another reason why we visit less.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As another visit comes to a close I'm left taken aback by the current standard and quality of the Cast Members Disney is hiring - what happened?

Don't get me wrong, there are still some AMAZING cast members here but they are few and far between. The younger CMs especially. Miserable. Absolutely no knowledge of the property. Characters. Parks. You name it. Overall friendliness just doesn't seem to be what it was.

If you work in WDW have no clue what a 'Figment' is or work next to Epcot yet have never seen the fireworks or work at Riviera but don't know there is a restaurant on the top floor or appraoch a cast member in full uniform about a wheelchair and they answer back "not now sorry, my shift is ending" and walks away - I've never seen such a lack of interest or poor attitude from Cast here.

Much like the attention to detail and upkeep of the resorts compared to years back, I always say to myself it's going to improve yet each time I visit it seems to deteriorate further. One step forward and 2+ steps back.

I still love it here however the lasting impression I'm left with is not what it used to be and another reason why we visit less.
Noticed it ourselves recently. Again, it’s a minority. But far more noticeable that it used to be.

Epcot81Fan

On both coasts, it’s embarrassing and sad.

Throw in the carny-level grooming standards and one of the key differentiating elements of the Disney theme park experience is quickly being erased.

And to specifically answer your question “What happened?” - they stopped caring.

(Oh, and they mock you for noticing or caring.)

DisneyHead123

I would be curious to see numbers on approximate total cast members working in the 80s vs today. The number must have increased exponentially. Combined with so many other parks opening and expanding in Orlando, it’s kind of amazing they can stay staffed at all.

My money is on Disney looking to automate as much as possible as soon as possible, because as they expand, their need for employees will only increase.

DisneyFanatic12

Always sad to hear stuff like this, but not saying you’re wrong at all.

I know that the CMs, to me at least, have always been a huge differentiator between Disney and Universal. I’m fortunate enough to say that it’s incredibly rare for me to find myself not impressed by how knowledgeable and caring the cast are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom