Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Fido Chuckwagon

Walt Disney World Reopens with Limited Park Reservations After Hurricane Milton: Magic Kingdom Fully Booked​

Good article and good job pointing out that they completely blocked annual passholders. Which is extra rich given the rumors that they are about to raise the price of annual passes.

lazyboy97o

Just curious..With big storms like this and flooding inside MK...How does this affect with the Utilidors? With the other 3 parks and areas that tend to flood surley cloggage in drains are a problem..
The “flooding” that people often talk about is typically due to overwhelmed drains. Sort of like pouring a big pot of water into a sink. It does move out and doesn’t become true standing water.

Indeed.

Also, the utilidors are not in a basement below grade. They are at grade and comprise the ground floor holding up the second floor above it... i.e., the guest-facing Magic Kingdom.
Grade is not a constant. Epic Universe isn’t being built above grade because they filled in and built up the site. The utilidors were buried over fifty years ago and have been below grade ever since.

SoFloMagic

Epic Universe isn’t being built above grade because they filled in and built up the site
Right, but now it's at grade on high ground. I guess you could say the utilidors are below current ground, but they're above the average elevation and the ground slopes away from them. I'd guess they're not at a super high risk of flooding unless their roof leaks

Phonedave

Sounds like a sanitary sewer backflow preventer is in order.

This is the first time they ever flooded like this. There are pros and cons to having them. My brother finally put on in. He is in a lower lying area. And while his basement has sump pumps, he really does not flood. However the sanitary sewers back up into his basement when other parts of the town flood. He finally broke down and paid to have one put in.

Phonedave

There are lots of reasons to not hurry them as well. Pros and Cons, not as simple as what is best in a Hurricane. Cost, accessibility, transmission efficiency etc.

Underground lines are not as simple as just burying power lines. They have to be totally redesigned because of heat dissipation. Also, while they may not get damaged as often, when they do get damaged, they take a LONG time to repair.

DisneyCane

Underground lines are not as simple as just burying power lines. They have to be totally redesigned because of heat dissipation. Also, while they may not get damaged as often, when they do get damaged, they take a LONG time to repair.
Exactly. You don't just dig a trench and stick the wires in the ground. To start with they have to use insulated cables which are more expensive than the bare cables for above ground. Heat dissipation must be accounted for as you stated. And, like you said, when they get damaged it is much harder to locate and repair the damage.

That said, if all of the local distribution lines in an area hit by a hurricane were underground, there would be far fewer power outages from the storms. However, they aren't immune to damage from trees. The difference is that for overhead lines, trees fall on them while the roots of a toppled tree can rip underground lines apart.

jrhwdw

Confirm what, that there were trees down? Do you not believe the dozens of pictures and reports that were already posted at that time? I wasn't even there (for this one) and I can tell you that there were trees down.

Common sense. Get some.
I was asking about Hollywood Hills F! Theater since someone heard there was damage there DHS Ended my concern with scheduling F! tonight. thank you.........

Nubs70

Correct, underground high tension lines are a particular problem. For heat dissipation, underground high tension lines must be placed inside of a pipeline filled with dielectric fluid (oil) that is constantly pumped in a loop to a heat exchanger. So if you have a problem with oil pipelines, you should also have a problem with high tension underground lines.

There exists an underground high tension line near LA that has defined operational issues but is not cost efficient to repair because..... it's underground.

gerarar

Premium Member
Finally landed at MCO after 3 flight cancellations and rebooks. From the airplane, could see various tree debris pushed to the side of the runways, roads, etc.

The airport wasn't that busy at all imo, at least compared to when I was here about a month ago.
1000017926.jpg

1000017927.jpg

Glad to finally be here, although my trip will be shortened by 2 days understandably – originally supposed to land on Wednesday morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom