Do you think Disney will ever make a really impressive playground again?

WorldExplorer

Original Poster
Disney used to make really awesome playgrounds, with really elaborate theming.

The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground:

1724716006991.png

The Boneyard:
1724717165921.png

(Not pictured: Its sandpit.)

Arguably the entirety of Tom Sawyer Island:
1724716212132.png

One of these is long gone and two of them are getting removed. Meanwhile, the Monsters, Inc. land concept art has this;

1724716516151.png

Which...I'll gladly be wrong, maybe it'll turn out to actually be part of something super elaborate, but it doesn't exactly look like it's living up to prior attempts.

We do still have the Mission: Space playground and the one you can wait in to get on Dumbo, but I think it's fair to say neither is really on the level of the removed/leaving ones. The theming is much lighter and they're much less sprawling.

So is this a dead art? Especially when there's really no reason why there isn't a Boneyard replacement planned other than just not wanting to do it?

Attachments

• 1724716060824.png
    1724716060824.png
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Fast food playgrounds are disappearing because of liability and sanitation concerns. They are being replaced by indoor playground chains, but everyone using those has to sign a liability waiver. Guessing Disney doesn’t want to deal with the liability.

Club Cooloholic

Disney used to make really awesome playgrounds, with really elaborate theming.

The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground:

View attachment 811820

The Boneyard:
View attachment 811828
(Not pictured: Its sandpit.)

Arguably the entirety of Tom Sawyer Island:
View attachment 811825

One of these is long gone and two of them are getting removed. Meanwhile, the Monsters, Inc. land concept art has this;

View attachment 811826

Which...I'll gladly be wrong, maybe it'll turn out to actually be part of something super elaborate, but it doesn't exactly look like it's living up to prior attempts.

We do still have the Mission: Space playground and the one you can wait in to get on Dumbo, but I think it's fair to say neither is really on the level of the removed/leaving ones. The theming is much lighter and they're much less sprawling.

So is this a dead art? Especially when there's really no reason why there isn't a Boneyard replacement planned other than just not wanting to do it?
Hollywood Studios is not the same without the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground. If they couldn't figure out how to put one in Toy Story Land...I have little hope for other ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom