I never understood why Disney public transportation sucks s

Quietmouse

Original Poster
For a company that’s worth hundreds of billions why is it so hard for them to invest in a airport to theme park mono rail and likewise finish the last two parks with mono rails?

I get the argument, how would Disney make money? Charge 5 dollar per family and there you go, it paid for itself within 10 years.

Likewise have Disney pay for a network of trains within Orlando , call it the Disney transport authority, there you go - free advertising and revenue.

Just seems dumb that it’s almost 2025 and there is still no cohesion with their public transport authority.

AndyS2992

I was so excited when they announced Brightline was getting stations at MCO, Disney and Universal, I thought this would be the simplest and fastest way to travel not just from the airport but between the Disney and Universal resorts as well as down to Miami should you want. But Disney being childish and petty pulled out just because the trains serviced Universal too and scuppered it 🙄

DisneyFanatic12

When I saw this thread I thought it was going to just be complaining about the existing infrastructure, which although many take for granted, is pretty amazing. It would be nice to have something to get people from the airport to Disney, but there’s so many costs associated with that.

Even if they could somehow get a monorail line or similar for free built between the parks and the airport, there would likely be a loss of profit from the increased ability to visit competitors. Not just other parks, but other entertainment offerings in general.

Anyways, I think the current transportation offerings are really pretty amazing. Sure, it could be nice to have a better connection between MCO and the parks, but the transportation is already great as it is.

Trueblood

And why do Disney need to provide Orlando with a public transportation system? Should they do it at Anaheim & Paris too?

"Hmm" I think to myself, "I thought Disneyland in Paris is literally on a train stop, I should check that" and it turns out my memory was correct: "The Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy train station is located right at the gates of the Disney Parks and just 2 minutes away from the Disney Hotels."

Then I saw this part related to traveling via the Eurostar: "With the Disney Express luggage service you'll feel the magic as soon as you arrive. Just leave your bags at the Disney Express counter at the station, collect your tickets and we'll take your luggage to your hotel, leaving you to head straight to the Parks." (emphasis mine)

ಠ_ಠ

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For a company that’s worth hundreds of billions why is it so hard for them to invest in a airport to theme park mono rail and likewise finish the last two parks with mono rails?

I get the argument, how would Disney make money? Charge 5 dollar per family and there you go, it paid for itself within 10 years.

Likewise have Disney pay for a network of trains within Orlando , call it the Disney transport authority, there you go - free advertising and revenue.

Just seems dumb that it’s almost 2025 and there is still no cohesion with their public transport authority.
Unless it makes attendance drop they don’t see any reason why to.

WorldExplorer

Animal Kingdom is meant to feel isolated; it will never get a monorail.

Some kind of special connection with Animal Kingdom Lodge that's below tree level would be nice, but is unlikely with the layout the park has.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Hmm" I think to myself, "I thought Disneyland in Paris is literally on a train stop, I should check that" and it turns out my memory was correct: "The Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy train station is located right at the gates of the Disney Parks and just 2 minutes away from the Disney Hotels."

Then I saw this part related to traveling via the Eurostar: "With the Disney Express luggage service you'll feel the magic as soon as you arrive. Just leave your bags at the Disney Express counter at the station, collect your tickets and we'll take your luggage to your hotel, leaving you to head straight to the Parks." (emphasis mine)

ಠ_ಠ
Worked well too apparently. Until Brexit made direct trains from the UK not commercially viable anymore.

nickys

Premium Member

ಠ_ಠ
Yes. But I was suggesting that maybe OP thinks Disney should pay the operating costs of the line from Paris to Marne La Valle?

nickys

Premium Member
Worked well too apparently. Until Brexit made direct trains from the UK not commercially viable anymore.
It was the cost of installing the infrastructure for the much delayed Entry/Exit system (now due November). That cost wasn’t viable.
Forcing a change at Lille means they can do it there, which is a bigger station.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was the cost of installing the infrastructure for the much delayed Entry/Exit system (now due November). That cost wasn’t viable.
Forcing a change at Lille means they can do it there, which is a bigger station.
Yep. I feel for those who used to use it (not mentioning that Eurostar never even ran the promised Manchester to Paris route)

nickys

Premium Member

ಠ_ಠ
Disney have to transport the bags about half a mile to the furthest away resort! Not exactly a massive operation.

But if Disney should pay for an entire transport system for the whole of Orlando, do you think they should pay for the running of the trains from Central Paris to DLP? Or the connections from Lille to DLP for Eurostar passengers?

AndyS2992

Which is a shame. We always took the direct Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Disneyland, super easy and always great service. Haven't been back since they discontinued the service, it's one of the factors why, but I'm sure changing at Lille isn't particularly complicated, just another added step I don't want or need. Might try flying to CDG and take the RER next time, depending how the price compares.

nickys

Premium Member
Which is a shame. We always took the direct Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Disneyland, super easy and always great service. Haven't been back since they discontinued the service, it's one of the factors why, but I'm sure changing at Lille isn't particularly complicated, just another added step I don't want or need. Might try flying to CDG and take the RER next time, depending how the price compares.
I’ve found that flying from London is cheaper than Eurostar. But as soon as you fly from any other airport you have to rely on Sleasyjet, which means you have no way to know if you’ll arrive anywhere near the expected time.
And I prefer getting the immigration checks done at St Pancras than have to do it when you arrive. But it adds on a night either end for us, as I wouldn’t want to rely on the trains being delayed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney sees no ROI on building a fixed transportation system from MCO to the resort - The "just charge $5/family" you mentioned wouldn't recoup the construction costs in 20 years, let alone 10. You're talking about a place that gets roughly 20 million "families" per year - the price that would need to be charged is probably 10x what you're proposing, and it would also need to be per person. Not to mention the multitude of other governmental and regulatory hurdles that would go into building such a system, plus operational costs, upkeep, et al. They aren't touching that with a 10-meter cattle prod.

JIMINYCR

Cost. Charging a fee of $5 per family per run wouldnt come close in 10 years to paying for construction and afterwards upkeep of the monorail cars and line or trains. Bus service is the most efficient method of providing transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom