News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sorcerer Mickey

It’s hard to have hype for attractions opening so long after the movies. Monsters inc. was 23 years ago!!!!

The only Pixar movies that seem timeless to me are Toy Story and Ratatouille. That’s a personal feeling only of course.
Fair, but I think the hype comes from an industry leader putting all their resources into something new. It helps that most of their IP is timeless. Monsters Inc. is definitely a timeless IP.

Sorcerer Mickey

Didn't say that you said 3 years. I said that 3 D23s shouldn't be confused for 3 years, especially as it's only been a year since the words "Tropical Americas" were mentioned by Disney
The only issue with Universal's approach is when they close an attraction before their ready for construction. Sinbad and Poseidon could probably still be operating if Universal hadn't kept changing their mind about a replacement
Yet, Disney does have a habit of announcing projects too in advance, but a year before construction isn't too bad for Monsters. I think this year's D23 was also them announcing most of their plans for the next 5 years as their "unofficial response" to Universal (Epic, Texas, UK?) The next D23 in 2026 would probable have more details on what was announced rather than have many new announcements.
Doesn't matter if they only recently referred to it as Tropical Americas, they've been talking about the Dinosaur replacement for three D23s.

Good point regarding Sinbad and Poseidon. I don't know what the math looks like on the inside, but from the viewpoint of a guest, it does stink to not only lose an attraction but have it sit idle as an eyesore. F&F is probably next to suffer this fate.

I think you're right about Disney drumming up hype to steal some of EU's thunder, but given their past timelines, I wouldn't be surprised if Cars ends up competing with the first EU expansion (Creature from the Black Lagoon or Luigi's Mansion).

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Yeah, I understand your thinking, I kinda get it. I dunno what they’d do with the slivers off to the side that’s open. Are you thinking sort of a situation where you used to be behind the facades of streets of America in the muppets area? I get that. Maybe they could build a fake Hollywood exterior at the entrance of monstropolis? Griffith observatory? Another soundstage? I dunno, but it would be cool.

Also I forgot that Abe Lincoln vampire hunter movie existed lol. What a crazy concept.
I guess fill in the sides of the arch if you need to and hope the building is far enough back that it isn't visible? Honestly, I'm not there often enough to really know all the sightlines.

Marc Davis Fan

Transitions:
  • The transitions into / out of GE are very good, following the traditional (going all the way back to 1955) principle of "cross-fades" with aesthetics in the middle that fit both areas. The main TSL entrance is at least passable in that respect as well. This means DHS presently consists of three areas that have pretty good quality divisions between them: Hollywood/LA (with slow transitions between time periods as well as between city and studio areas), Batuu, and Andy's backyard.
  • Especially considering how seriously EU is taking land transitions (something I'm happy to see Universal finally doing!), I hope they think really carefully and seriously about how the transition to/from the Monsters land will work. Facades with open doors would be insanely cool, though I'd be relatively happy with anything that's not just plopping the land down without transitions (as is my fear about the otherwise-good-news of its likely AC placement).

Sightlines:
  • Like the transitions, DHS's lands do a pretty good job of minimizing/mitigating immersion-breaking sightlines. And here again, this is a strength of Disney's parks that it would be wise to maintain.
  • Based on @marni1971 suggesting that the gravity building will be smaller than we might expect, I'm optimistic that the AC placement will not break the immersion of Hollywood/Sunset/Echo Lake, which I still count among Disney's best immersive environments anywhere. If anyone has thoughts / insight on this, I'd be quite interested to hear it!

TheDisneyParksfanC8

They aren't going to give up Marvel for several reasons - 1) They got it for paying very little 2) Its forever and most importantly, why would they give their biggest competitor one of the biggest assets they have. It would be a completely stupid move to let Disney build all sorts of MCU-based rides. SpiderMan and Hulk are still big draws. Also, Disney cannot even use the word Marvel itself inside its theme parks anywhere in the US. Hence "Avengers Campus"
The only case Universal would give up Marvel is if Universal bought WBD and gained access to DC if the SF contract allowed it or there was some sort of loophole.

Twirlnhurl

Looks like we can stop speculating. The AI has weighed in, there is a 40% chance that Monsters Inc will replace Muppetvision.

Thinking
Reflecting on the initial probability, it is essential to consider the base rate of Disney replacing older attractions with new ones. While there is a precedent, it is not a certainty. The recent refurbishment of Muppet*Vision 3D and the potential for fan advocacy to influence decisions are notable factors that could lower the probability.

Additionally, the presence of alternative locations for the Monsters, Inc. land, such as Animation Courtyard, provides a viable option that does not necessitate the removal of Muppet*Vision 3D. This consideration should slightly reduce the initial probability.

After reviewing the factors and adjusting for potential biases, the final probability should reflect a balanced view of the competing considerations.

Final probability: 0.40

Sneaky

With all the talk of Launch Bay AND Disney jr being demo’d, I’m kinda curious how extensive this could potentially be?
IMG_2769.jpeg

Would it just be keeping thee same general layout of the courtyard, with other coaster going where the main guest area is, and a little new stuff where the disney jr show building space is only?
IMG_2771.jpeg

Or would it be a bit further spaced out, with the door coaster going where the parking garage/building went, with more general city space for the playground and such going where the main building is? And/or would the WHOLE Disney jr/brown derby building be leveled for monsters? Curious to see how this could play out, especially with mermaid.
(Excuse the crudeness of the drawings, this was done kinda quickly)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
With all the talk of Launch Bay AND Disney jr being demo’d, I’m kinda curious how extensive this could potentially be?
View attachment 816104

Would it just be keeping thee same general layout of the courtyard, with other coaster going where the main guest area is, and a little new stuff where the disney jr show building space is only?
View attachment 816105

Or would it be a bit further spaced out, with the door coaster going where the parking garage/building went, with more general city space for the playground and such going where the main building is? And/or would the WHOLE Disney jr/brown derby building be leveled for monsters? Curious to see how this could play out, especially with mermaid.
(Excuse the crudeness of the drawings, this was done kinda quickly)

If only they had some extra room with easy access to guest areas that would also keep the AC and Muppets intact.
1726580757528.png

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No
Disney could open a 5th gate with Marvel, if Uni ever dropped it. You build Wakanda; Avengers Campus from CA; NYC with Stark Tower, Spider-man, Sanctum Sanctorum, X-Men Mansion; Asgard; Planet Ego with GOTG.

They could call it Disney’s Marvel Adventures
Personally, for a Guardians land (if not doing Xandar with the Epcot overlap) doing Counter Earth would be a lot more interesting, with a Rise of the Resistance type ride in High Evolutionary’s ship. Something like “we’ve gotta get Rocket outta the clutches of Orgocorp!”

Sneaky

If only they had some extra room with easy access to guest areas that would also keep the AC and Muppets intact.
View attachment 816106
Putting it in AC revives a dead area of the park, and opens up a pathway to use this land later down the line. IMO one of the few cases where destroy and replace is for the best long term. This is stil, supposed to have that rumored sunset connection in the event it goes here, right? There’s also the rumored show too! What about that?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Putting it in AC revives a dead area of the park, and opens up a pathway to use this land later down the line. IMO one of the few cases where destroy and replace is for the best long term. This is stil, supposed to have that rumored sunset connection in the event it goes here, right? There’s also the rumored show too! What about that?
One could also argue that the Muppets area is also dead and underutilized. Which was probably the driving force for proposing to put it there.

It also appears that the main obstacle for AC is not the underutilized guest area (Launch Bay) but the apparently important and difficult to relocate office building and surrounding area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom