News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

SCOTLORR

I believe they’ve settled on AC with Disney, Jr. being demolished. But, I’d like further confirmation.
Ditto on hearing about Launch Bay and Jr.
I don't wanna say it's locked in but that seems to be where it's leaning. I've been awaiting further word.
This would be such a great break. We need a project that the fan base can be unanimously (as unanimous as possible at least) behind. Placing monsters in Muppets is an additional controversy for absolutely no reason, in a time where everything Disney does is controversial (and for good reason). Just put it in AC so we can all take a deep breath.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Originally you could actually see animators at work on Disney films. I remember they were working on Mulan when I was there sometime in the mid-1990s.
My first trip in 2011 it was still operating this way, though I heard it was just people hand-drawing animation cels to be sold as merch by that point. This was after the film where Mushu took you through the animation process.

TrainsOfDisney

My first trip in 2011 it was still operating this way, though I heard it was just people hand-drawing animation cels to be sold as merch by that point. This was after the film where Mushu took you through the animation process.
2003 was the end of the production era (after brother bear) - but yes part of the animation experience remained.

erasure fan1

Placing monsters in Muppets is an additional controversy for absolutely no reason, in a time where everything Disney does is controversial
That's why this whole thing has been a head scratcher. This isn't a decision of something HAS to go. They have the space so why even let it get to the point it has? Even if Muppets stays, they've still given themselves months of crappy press for no good reason. If they just came out and said at d23, coming to animation courtyard, monsters inc door coaster! EVERYONE is onboard and you have some great news to combat the rivers of America/TSI noise.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Maybe? I was also thinking the whole “factory” would act as a “weenie” to draw people in. Still crazy how much of mgm is gone and will soon be gone too. This park really is Abe Lincoln’s hatchet in a sense
Please let me explain my thinking here. The central conceit of both the films and the ride is the doors which connect their world to ours. This isn't Toy Story Land, where you can get away with an open pathway. Not having some kind of doorway breaks immersion on a fundamental level.

The concept art shows the whole land existing in the Monsters' world. Which makes sense. Unfortunately, that means you can't use the factory entrance as the doorway, which would greatly simplify things. I don't know how much the mouse cares about full thematic fidelity these days, but I think the factory should only be visible through the wide-open front gates.

And Honest Abe killed vampires with that hatchet, so I'm good with it.

Sneaky

Please let me explain my thinking here. The central conceit of both the films and the ride is the doors which connect their world to ours. This isn't Toy Story Land, where you can get away with an open pathway. Not having some kind of doorway breaks immersion on a fundamental level.

The concept art shows the whole land existing in the Monsters' world. Which makes sense. Unfortunately, that means you can't use the factory entrance as the doorway, which would greatly simplify things. I don't know how much the mouse cares about full thematic fidelity these days, but I think the factory should only be visible through the wide-open front gates.
Yeah, I understand your thinking, I kinda get it. I dunno what they’d do with the slivers off to the side that’s open. Are you thinking sort of a situation where you used to be behind the facades of streets of America in the muppets area? I get that. Maybe they could build a fake Hollywood exterior at the entrance of monstropolis? Griffith observatory? Another soundstage? I dunno, but it would be cool.

Also I forgot that Abe Lincoln vampire hunter movie existed lol. What a crazy concept.

Ar1w

It makes Universal a lot of money, and more than ever on the property that already did.
Makes perfect sense to keep it.

By the time Universal sees fit to give it up, it won't be worth theme park lands.

Universal's Marvel take wound up more timeless and encompassing than anything Disney has done yet.

Nothing of their own IP right now would do as well as MSHI.

It features all time greats in IP and theme park design.
Disney could open a 5th gate with Marvel, if Uni ever dropped it. You build Wakanda; Avengers Campus from CA; NYC with Stark Tower, Spider-man, Sanctum Sanctorum, X-Men Mansion; Asgard; Planet Ego with GOTG.

They could call it Disney’s Marvel Adventures

Last edited:

etc98

And Honest Abe killed vampires with that hatchet, so I'm good with it.
I don’t see how it’s any different than going into any other land. We don’t need to take a spaceship ride to get to Batuu or Pandora, we don’t need to go through a fake border crossing to move between World Showcase countries. There’s always a certain level of “you were here and now you’re here” kind of thing when you move between lands. More abrupt in some places and more subtle in others, of course. A giant door could certainly accomplish that transition in this case, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary.

Sorcerer Mickey

It’s hard to have hype for attractions opening so long after the movies. Monsters inc. was 23 years ago!!!!

The only Pixar movies that seem timeless to me are Toy Story and Ratatouille. That’s a personal feeling only of course.
Fair, but I think the hype comes from an industry leader putting all their resources into something new. It helps that most of their IP is timeless. Monsters Inc. is definitely a timeless IP.

Sorcerer Mickey

Didn't say that you said 3 years. I said that 3 D23s shouldn't be confused for 3 years, especially as it's only been a year since the words "Tropical Americas" were mentioned by Disney
The only issue with Universal's approach is when they close an attraction before their ready for construction. Sinbad and Poseidon could probably still be operating if Universal hadn't kept changing their mind about a replacement
Yet, Disney does have a habit of announcing projects too in advance, but a year before construction isn't too bad for Monsters. I think this year's D23 was also them announcing most of their plans for the next 5 years as their "unofficial response" to Universal (Epic, Texas, UK?) The next D23 in 2026 would probable have more details on what was announced rather than have many new announcements.
Doesn't matter if they only recently referred to it as Tropical Americas, they've been talking about the Dinosaur replacement for three D23s.

Good point regarding Sinbad and Poseidon. I don't know what the math looks like on the inside, but from the viewpoint of a guest, it does stink to not only lose an attraction but have it sit idle as an eyesore. F&F is probably next to suffer this fate.

I think you're right about Disney drumming up hype to steal some of EU's thunder, but given their past timelines, I wouldn't be surprised if Cars ends up competing with the first EU expansion (Creature from the Black Lagoon or Luigi's Mansion).

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Yeah, I understand your thinking, I kinda get it. I dunno what they’d do with the slivers off to the side that’s open. Are you thinking sort of a situation where you used to be behind the facades of streets of America in the muppets area? I get that. Maybe they could build a fake Hollywood exterior at the entrance of monstropolis? Griffith observatory? Another soundstage? I dunno, but it would be cool.

Also I forgot that Abe Lincoln vampire hunter movie existed lol. What a crazy concept.
I guess fill in the sides of the arch if you need to and hope the building is far enough back that it isn't visible? Honestly, I'm not there often enough to really know all the sightlines.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I don’t see how it’s any different than going into any other land. We don’t need to take a spaceship ride to get to Batuu or Pandora, we don’t need to go through a fake border crossing to move between World Showcase countries. There’s always a certain level of “you were here and now you’re here” kind of thing when you move between lands. More abrupt in some places and more subtle in others, of course. A giant door could certainly accomplish that transition in this case, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary.
Given the importance placed on doors in that universe, I respectfully disagree. But just because I have a strong opinion, doesn't mean I'm necessarily right.

And even though it would be impossibly impractical, I think border crossings in World Showcase would be a great way to enhance the theming.

Rich Brownn

But universal is literally giving Disney money & free advertising by keeping it. lol. It makes even less sense for them to keep super hero island in the long term when it isn't their own property. (I.E - Simpsons going away.) I understand it is under different circumstances than simpsons land. But even if they have the rights in perpetuity. Why would they continue to advertise disney properties in their parks. When instead they could use the space for their own IP.
They aren't going to give up Marvel for several reasons - 1) They got it for paying very little 2) Its forever and most importantly, why would they give their biggest competitor one of the biggest assets they have. It would be a completely stupid move to let Disney build all sorts of MCU-based rides. SpiderMan and Hulk are still big draws. Also, Disney cannot even use the word Marvel itself inside its theme parks anywhere in the US. Hence "Avengers Campus"

Marc Davis Fan

Transitions:
  • The transitions into / out of GE are very good, following the traditional (going all the way back to 1955) principle of "cross-fades" with aesthetics in the middle that fit both areas. The main TSL entrance is at least passable in that respect as well. This means DHS presently consists of three areas that have pretty good quality divisions between them: Hollywood/LA (with slow transitions between time periods as well as between city and studio areas), Batuu, and Andy's backyard.
  • Especially considering how seriously EU is taking land transitions (something I'm happy to see Universal finally doing!), I hope they think really carefully and seriously about how the transition to/from the Monsters land will work. Facades with open doors would be insanely cool, though I'd be relatively happy with anything that's not just plopping the land down without transitions (as is my fear about the otherwise-good-news of its likely AC placement).

Sightlines:
  • Like the transitions, DHS's lands do a pretty good job of minimizing/mitigating immersion-breaking sightlines. And here again, this is a strength of Disney's parks that it would be wise to maintain.
  • Based on @marni1971 suggesting that the gravity building will be smaller than we might expect, I'm optimistic that the AC placement will not break the immersion of Hollywood/Sunset/Echo Lake, which I still count among Disney's best immersive environments anywhere. If anyone has thoughts / insight on this, I'd be quite interested to hear it!

TheDisneyParksfanC8

They aren't going to give up Marvel for several reasons - 1) They got it for paying very little 2) Its forever and most importantly, why would they give their biggest competitor one of the biggest assets they have. It would be a completely stupid move to let Disney build all sorts of MCU-based rides. SpiderMan and Hulk are still big draws. Also, Disney cannot even use the word Marvel itself inside its theme parks anywhere in the US. Hence "Avengers Campus"
The only case Universal would give up Marvel is if Universal bought WBD and gained access to DC if the SF contract allowed it or there was some sort of loophole.

Ayla

Given the importance placed on doors in that universe, I respectfully disagree. But just because I have a strong opinion, doesn't mean I'm necessarily right.

And even though it would be impossibly impractical, I think border crossings in World Showcase would be a great way to enhance the theming.
Border crossings aren't a thing anymore in the Schengen Zone, and four of those countries are represented in WS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom