News Nearly all rides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios have waits above 2 hours at a very busy Walt Disney World

Tha Realest

The Hollywood Studios of 20 years ago was probably in better shape than the current version for days like this, mainly because it was heavier on shows/entertainment that weren't really in danger of ever going down.

That's not arguing it was a better park then (I think it was a better park for me personally, but that's for other reasons), but it's part of the problem with a bunch of replacements instead of new builds.
I’m at Universal Hollywood right now. Imagine if they took out the studio tram tour to put in three rides, one and a half of which were susceptible to long down times or weather issues.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm at DHS today (first trip in 10 years) and am having a pretty perfect day so far (worth noting I purchased Genie+).

RotR was down this morning but only for 2-3 hours tops. Also was pouring rain this morning so probably dissuaded many from coming in. Everything was working on my RotR ride except for a couple mins delay in the interrogation room before the load door opened (cannons not working of course).

Overall I have been much more impressed with WDW on this trip than the negative voices on this forum have led me to believe for the past several years. Aside from expense and the unnecessary complexity of the app, things seem as good as they've ever been at WDW. Disney quality service is still there, a night and day difference from Universal where I was the past few days.

TrainsOfDisney

Overall I have been much more impressed with WDW on this trip than the negative voices on this forum have led me to believe for the past several years.
From my personal experiences I agree - but I do see lots of cuts and lots of guest unfriendly systems (genie+, long lines and less staff at security points, long lines and less staff at counter service, etc.)

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s not rare, and I really can’t call it accidental. There are all kinds of stories out there about how Disney has cut back on maintenance to save money.

On our last 3 trips HS had unbearable lines, not because of breakdowns though, there’s just so little to do at HS the lines are always long, breakdowns just magnify how bad it is. We still aren’t sure whether we’ll bother with HS on our next trip because we don’t feel it’s worth the cost of admission anymore. $300 for 2 tickets to a park with 10 rides, most of which are duplicates of rides we regularly do at DL, is a hard sell for us.

I wonder just how bad it will get before disney actually does some maintenance to really fix these attractions, not just glue them together???

This is a result of being so under-built, they can’t afford to close the rides to properly maintain them because there‘s so few rides to begin with.

tpoly88

They took away high-capacity long attractions for lower-capacity very short rides. That is what happened.
this used to be one of our favorite parks but i dont go here anymore because everything is so crowded. You are right, they took away the great movie ride that would take a large amount of guests at a shot, the back stage tour that had a lot of capacity, the little mermaid is not running right now and the Stunt show used to handle a lot of people too. now you have rides like slinky that have one car and takes 20 people. Not saying the other rides did not need to be updated but its a problem now over at HS. You hope they learn from this when re-doing dino land at AK.

erasure fan1

That's not arguing it was a better park then (I think it was a better park for me personally, but that's for other reasons), but it's part of the problem with a bunch of replacements instead of new builds.
It was better for me as well, because of it's more cohesive theme alone. The park has always been to low on attractions and it still is. But at least back in the day the theme wasn't just, MOVIES!
Overall I have been much more impressed with WDW on this trip than the negative voices on this forum have led me to believe for the past several years.
For us we still had fun this summer when we went. The parks do have a lot of issues in my opinion. But what really makes it worse is all the nonsense like genie plus, lightning lane, boarding groups, nickel and diming... It gets the annoyance level up, calling more attention to the things like breakdowns, reduced entertainment...

J Pye

runDisney is too early this year and connected to Christmas/NYE Break. There needs to be a clear break between NYE and runDisney. Whenever this happens, the parks are insane. Now next year, Marathon Weekend starts on the 9th. This provides a clear break from NYE crowds.
I would agree with this. They’ve created a perfect storm of runDisney, New Years crowds plus, for this year, winter break crowds. It’ll be interesting to see how severe the drop in crowd levels is next week cos most people with a reason to be in Orlando are here now.

In news relevant to the thread: Disney sent me a survey asking about my experience in HS yesterday. They were especially interested in how much I spent (to the exact $) on food, drink and merchandise. I’ve never been asked to provide exact $ amounts before in a survey from them. I also told them it was a poor day (because it was).

Vegas Disney Fan

The question is, what will Disney learn from this, if anything? Obviously it won't be that they need to hire maintenance crews or add capacity to the park... maybe that they need to raise prices more?
HS is probably Disneys ideal and something they want to replicate in the other parks, the bare minimum to keep people coming (while spending as little as possible) and such long lines G+ is selling out everyday.

Maximized profit, even at the expense of guest satisfaction, is the goal in the parks, something has to offset the massive losses everywhere else.

Lilofan

The Hollywood Studios of 20 years ago was probably in better shape than the current version for days like this, mainly because it was heavier on shows/entertainment that weren't really in danger of ever going down.

20 years ago MGM had NY Street/ Back lot Tour then NY renamed Streets of America with Lights Motor Action show. If it rained at times both shows were cancelled at LMA and pretty much the back of the park was deader than a door nail. If Fantasmic was cancelled due to lightning or rain I was in the audience of 8K guests that were told the show was cancelled and many of us all went back to the hotel since nothing else was open at MGM.

freediverdude

They also had the Beauty and the Beast show as well, which swallowed large crowds during the day. And they had a parade too which helped.

BrianLo

I'm at DHS today (first trip in 10 years) and am having a pretty perfect day so far (worth noting I purchased Genie+)….

There’s a slight tendency towards people having gone a bit too frequently and burning themselves out on this forum. When you are on such a macro scale like ten years, WDW actually has 11 new rides for you (including some of Disneys’ best), new resort transportation, a drastically revitalized Disney Springs, new night shows and most parks have overhauled their entrances, security and hubs.

Contrast to pedestaled Tokyo surprisingly only being up three (for the moment) in a decade. I think I’m counting those right, at least.

BasiltheBatLord

There’s a slight tendency towards people having gone a bit too frequently and burning themselves out on this forum. When you are on such a macro scale like ten years, WDW actually has 11 new rides for you (including some of Disneys’ best), new resort transportation, a drastically revitalized Disney Springs, new night shows and most parks have overhauled their entrances, security and hubs.

Contrast to pedestaled Tokyo surprisingly only being up three (for the moment) in a decade. I think I’m counting those right, at least.
Yep this trip has solidified for me that WDW is indeed the greatest theme park resort in the world. The amount of things to do is simply unparalleled anywhere else, even if individual parks at other resorts may be superior (Disneyland CA is still number one park in the world for me)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom