Disney’s Q1 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just did Quantum out of Seattle this summer. What a great ship (near identical to Ovation) and solid entertainment offerings. I prefer the night club and bar offerings (RCCL) as an adult, but for my wife and some of our friends the over-the-top customer service on Disney... plus seeing characters pop up around the corner makes all the difference in the world. They'd rather pay 50% more for DCL, although the prices on RC are getting much closer these days.

So, guess who's booked on the Fantasy now later this year?
I love the quantum class

We were on anthem out of Bayonne…which was so cool…
The lady stares at you as you go right past Liberty island…Lower Manhattan on the left … and you can almost touch the bottom of the Verrazano

I highly recommend that just for the views

But I really love the quantum class ships. Moreso than the oasis

But I’m not picky there 😎

Laketravis

Can I ask why? We are planning on trying out the new Aqua from that class of ships. We chose because of the amount of outdoor space. We aren't huge pool people, so the idea of the boulevard really appeals to us. The food sounds very good also.

We don't cruise Disney because the ships just seem very closed off to the ocean. Royal was fine, but the food left a lot to be desired. We haven't tried their giant ships because again, we don't just want a floating resort, we want to feel like we are on the ocean.

If you read recent Google reviews of the Prima, I would say that I agree with them. In a nutshell, the venues are very small and crowded, the "complimentary" food offerings are disappointing while the pay-for specialty dining is only as good as the "complimentary" offerings on other ships, the pool is smaller than some of my neighbors backyard pools, there are a limited number of tiny hot tubs, the crew seem disconnected (I think because of constantly complaining guests), etc.

But, much like WDW, if you are willing to pay A LOT extra for a suite in "The Haven" with it's own pool, bar, restaurant, crew, etc. then you might rave about your experience. Because pretty much two thirds of the upper outdoor deck is reserved for either that elite group or the waste-of-ship-space go kart track.

I asked many people during the cruise if they would book that cruise again. 9 out of 10 said no. We were the first of many of our friends to cruise that ship last month. 8 of my friends are on it this week and 6 of them said they will never book that ship again. 4 more are scheduled to sail next month and are now questioning their decision.

I couldn't help thinking during the entire cruise that Norwegian must have attended some sort of Disney seminar on how to get away with charging more for less.

ETA: I've heard rumors that construction of the Aqua has been placed oh hold in order to consider a redesign based on all the negative feedback about the first two ships in that class.

pigglewiggle

If you read recent Google reviews of the Prima, I would say that I agree with them. In a nutshell, the venues are very small and crowded, the "complimentary" food offerings are disappointing while the pay-for specialty dining is only as good as the "complimentary" offerings on other ships, the pool is smaller than some of my neighbors backyard pools, there are a limited number of tiny hot tubs, the crew seem disconnected (I think because of constantly complaining guests), etc.

But, much like WDW, if you are willing to pay A LOT extra for a suite in "The Haven" with it's own pool, bar, restaurant, crew, etc. then you might rave about your experience. Because pretty much two thirds of the upper outdoor deck is reserved for either that elite group or the waste-of-ship-space go kart track.

I asked many people during the cruise if they would book that cruise again. 9 out of 10 said no. We were the first of many of our friends to cruise that ship last month. 8 of my friends are on it this week and 6 of them said they will never book that ship again. 4 more are scheduled to sail next month and are now questioning their decision.

I couldn't help thinking during the entire cruise that Norwegian must have attended some sort of Disney seminar on how to get away with charging more for less.

Thank you, that's something to think about. I do know the new ship will have a water coaster and not the go-kart track. We would probably book an Aft suite, but not haven. But to have the large Aft balcony would be great.

More research to do I suppose.

BrianLo

Thank you, that's something to think about. I do know the new ship will have a water coaster and not the go-kart track. We would probably book an Aft suite, but not haven. But to have the large Aft balcony would be great.

More research to do I suppose.

I think you’ll be fine. I enjoyed the prima actually. Some of it is that it’s a major departure from Breakaway and people have poor tolerance to change.

Aqua will also address probably the biggest issues, which was their mismatched expectations for venue sizes. The trouble was they wanted the number of venues as a bigger ship, but many of them were under built as a result and the guests did not spread out as expected. It’s not undoable and frankly a million times more meagre than a theme park, but you just need to plan ahead or arrive early to very popular venues for seating. Again Aqua is changing some of the layout.

A major issue is these are warm weather ships and Prima got home ported in Reykjavik, you won’t have nearly the same concerns of Aqua.

I disagree and found the food quality generally higher than Royal, maybe a tad under Celebrity.

The top pool deck was also under designed, which I think Aqua half fixes. But the actual solution for a warm weather cruise is to opt for vibe, which is a fraction of Haven and seemingly a way nicer experience than the Haven area, which can be overrun with kids.

I think the royal Quantum class may be my favourite class as well, though I do like Edge, Breakaway plus and even Prima classes.

Edit- from what we can generally surmise from the deck plans, the atrium and public pool deck are both where the ship is being stretched. Both have almost double the square footage versus Viva/Prima. The observation lounge and buffet are minorly bigger, maybe significantly so for the buffet if they remove a speciality restaraunt, which they might. The awkward layout to Le Bistro was fixed. Syd Normans is TBD, but could be bigger (which is likely the biggest guest concern and longest wait if you want to see it). The Indulge Food Hall is TBD, but would probably be the second most requested space to increase the size. TBD because it’s nebulous on the half revealed deck plans where the actual boundaries lie.

Last edited:

Dranth

So DIS has divested physical media production to Sony??
Looks like it.

They had been talking about getting out of physical media for a while but got a lot of push back so I guess I shouldn't be surprised as this lets them stay in it without having to deal with it themselves.

Nubs70

Looks like it.

They had been talking about getting out of physical media for a while but got a lot of push back so I guess I shouldn't be surprised as this lets them stay in it without having to deal with it themselves.
These are the style of low margin/high overhead/ non core entities DIS needs to shed

Dranth

These are the style of low margin/high overhead/ non core entities DIS needs to shed
Yep, and Sony does a better job with their transfers overall so hopefully that will show in new releases.

Now Sony just needs to not screw up Aliens when Cameron finally finishes filming Avatar 27. As long as that gets the same treatment FOX gave Alien for it's 4k transfer I'll be happy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Audiophiles want vinyl for that analogue sound.

So how come cinephiles want digital media of DVD and BluRay. Shouldn't they be using VHS? Or better yet, 8mm reels for their projector?

Animaniac93-98

Yep, and Sony does a better job with their transfers overall so hopefully that will show in new releases.

Now Sony just needs to not screw up Aliens when Cameron finally finishes filming Avatar 27. As long as that gets the same treatment FOX gave Alien for it's 4k transfer I'll be happy.

Sounds like this will be strictly for manufacturing and distribution only, not what titles get released or how they are presented on disc (PQ, AQ, bonus features etc).

Dranth

Sounds like this will be strictly for manufacturing and distribution only, not what titles get released or how they are presented on disc (PQ, AQ, bonus features etc).
The article I was reading made it sound like more but after your post I checked a couple others and sure enough, they are all saying it is just manufacturing, distribution, and marketing so, I stand corrected.

Animaniac93-98

The article I was reading made it sound like more but after your post I checked a couple others and sure enough, they are all saying it is just manufacturing, distribution, and marketing so, I stand corrected.

Believe me, I wish it was more than just printing and shipping disc, as I explicitly asked for this exact thing to happen in another thread, but we'll see where this goes from here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom