Which resort hotel to choose

MaxDrake79

Original Poster
Disney friends, I'm totally undecided about which hotel to choose for my first visit to the Disney parks in Orlando in July 2024, I'll be staying 9 nights. I'm torn between Caribbean, Port Orleans Riverside but I'd also like the AKL or The Widermess. I am evaluating the distance from the parks as well as the price, in addition to the atmosphere and beauty of the resort. By the way, when do the offers start on the official website for summer 2024? Thank you for the replies.

Raxel7851

Disney friends, I'm totally undecided about which hotel to choose for my first visit to the Disney parks in Orlando in July 2024, I'll be staying 9 nights. I'm torn between Caribbean, Port Orleans Riverside but I'd also like the AKL or The Widermess. I am evaluating the distance from the parks as well as the price, in addition to the atmosphere and beauty of the resort. By the way, when do the offers start on the official website for summer 2024? Thank you for the replies.
With staying 9 nights, you could consider a split stay. Do AKL/WL, then do one of the other resorts. I do believe that you can have your luggage transferred between resorts. I’m sure there’s a member here that can tell you if that’s still available. I know they won’t take your bags to your room until you check in, but they will be transferred. We’ve done a split stay several times, however we drive so we take our bags with us.

MaxDrake79

Original Poster
Thanks first of all for the advice but also if I
I would like to find it inconvenient to change all these hotels. I will arrive in America from Italy and will stay 3 days in New York then move to Orlando with 9 nights at Disney parks and finally 3 nights in a Universal hotel. I only have to pick one for Disney

NelleBelle

I find wilderness lodge’s theming to be amazing! It’s very immersive. You also are fairly close to MK and now have more transportation options since the water taxis are resuming advice to the contemporary (which has some great restaurants). I, personally, think that Caribbean beach is very large and spread out. It’s a pretty resort and being the hub for the skyliner is a plus. But if going for a moderate resort, I’d choose Port Orleans (I prefer the French Quarter to Riverside but both a great for theming). While I love AKL, it’s just too far and only has bus service—but I’d definitely visit to have a meal at Jiko or Sanaa!

NiarrNDisney

I would go with Carribean Beach just for its proximity to and transportation to the parks but if you need other reasons it has a couple dining options on site but is also a quick walk or Skyway ride to the Riviera for other options.

Lilofan

If you are staying at Wilderness just make sure the front desk does not put you on the part of the resort where the rooms overlook the garbage dumpsters and truck loading dock. You will be woken up in the early morning with the trucks loading out the items and the view is poor.

MaxDrake79

Original Poster
Friends, you are all very kind, I think I will opt for a modern resort because then go to universal
I will go to Portofino bay or similar. For Disney hotels at this point I choose Port Orleams, Caribbean and Disney animation what can you tell me??? They are all well connected to the parks.

osian

I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside. You'll get votes for everything, everyone has their favourite and opinions! I probably wouldn't stay at a Deluxe again, far too expensive for what you get. Wilderness Lodge was also a bit far out from the parks. Pop Century fine, Art of Animation will be similar, but Skyliner access can be both a blessing and a curse. But Port Orleans so far are my favourites, surprisingly short bus journey to all parks (except Animal Kingdom, but it's still not too far). Both are lovely resorts, French Quarter has the advantage of being compact and slightly closer the parks, and I loved the rustic/wooded Alligator Bayou section of Riverside. The northern section is a 5 minute walk from the lobby and restaurants but extremely close to the first bus stop so I never had to stand up on crowded buses. Remember though that Value and Moderate rooms at Disney are basically just motel rooms, nothing special.

G&CsMom

Going in July it will be HOT with rain showers many days. The skyliner will shut down during times of lightening and it can be a very long wait for Disney to get the buses going for the affected resorts. (Pop, AoA, CBR and Riv) CBR is also a very large, spread out resort with lots of walking and minimal shade during those treks. Staying 9 days, your feet will already be quite tired from all of the walking in the parks. I would not stay at CBR during July for these reasons.

AKL is a beautiful resort and all of your walking would be indoors. It is however very isolated and a bit far from everything except AK park. 9 days at AKL would get a bit monotonous. I would choose to just visit AKL for a meal on your trip.

WL is a beautiful resort and very close to MK. Not sure of the makeup of your traveling party but if small children are involved, this would be ideal as it's only a boat ride away from MK. You can also boat over to FW and CR. Getting to CR also gives you access to Poly and GF for dining and shopping via monorail. WL is great if you are spending a lot of time in MK but not so convenient if you are spending lots of time at EP and DHS.

POR and POFQ are a great compromise of price, location, and theme. These resorts are pretty well located for a quick ride to the parks (except AK) and a relaxing boat ride to DS. DS gives you LOTS of dining and shopping options. POR is a larger resort but it has a lot of shade trees which aid in summer walking outdoors. POFQ is very compact and would be a nice break for your tired feet after long days in the parks. POR has several bus stops which will increase transit time to the parks. POFQ has a single bus stop at the front of the resort so buses will leave and go directly to the parks. POR has a really nice main pool and several smaller quiet pools. POFQ only has one pool. If you have small children, POFQ has a nice pool, water play area and playground all in the same vicinity. Because POR and POFQ are sister resorts, you are welcome to use the pools and amenities at both if you so choose.

Our family of 4 adults chooses to stay at POFQ because it is easier on the budget (we do 2 rooms), it is very compact, theming is so quaint, the food is outstanding, and the bus and boat transportation is efficient. I would also add that we have found the rooms to be very quiet. Although the pool area is a bit juvenile, we didn't care as we don't utilize the pool very much in Jan/Feb which is our new preferred time of year now that our adult daughters are out of school. When our daughters were young and we only reserved one room, we preferred to stay at Poly and GF.

MaxDrake79

Original Poster
Thank you, thank you all, I have lots of questions to ask you and you are very kind. We will only be two adults, no children, at this point even if the WL is the one that attracts me the most for the theme I think the choice will go to one of the two Port Orleans but I don't really know which one to choose. Do they both have the boat to Disney Springs? Is AK really far by bus? Also, when will the offers for summer 2024 start on the site? Last thing, it will be hot in July but will it really rain a lot every day?

osian

Yes, both Port Orleans resorts have a boat to Disney Springs, they're on the same river. And you can walk between POFQ and POR along the river path. But Riverside is further from DS, maybe adds around 10 minutes to the journey. Animal Kingdom isn't that far from P.O. by bus, I don't know, maybe around 15-18 minutes. The other parks are more like 10-13. I think it took 20-25 mins to get from Wilderness Lodge to AK, HS or EP.

MaxDrake79

Original Poster
Thanks again, at this point French Quarter is perhaps more convenient and if I understand correctly I can still use the riverside pools for example so I think French Quarter will be my choice. I'm ruling out skyliner resirts at this point...

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Thank you, thank you all, I have lots of questions to ask you and you are very kind. We will only be two adults, no children, at this point even if the WL is the one that attracts me the most for the theme I think the choice will go to one of the two Port Orleans but I don't really know which one to choose. Do they both have the boat to Disney Springs? Is AK really far by bus? Also, when will the offers for summer 2024 start on the site? Last thing, it will be hot in July but will it really rain a lot every day?
There is a good chance for rain each day, but it is usually for a short period of time and then the sun is out again.

G&CsMom

Thanks again, at this point French Quarter is perhaps more convenient and if I understand correctly I can still use the riverside pools for example so I think French Quarter will be my choice. I'm ruling out skyliner resirts at this point...

Yes. Guests of POR and POFQ are welcome to use the pools, restaurants both TS and QS, bars/lounges, buses, boats, etc. of either resort. As a pp mentioned, there is a lovely walking path along the river that connects the resorts.

Raxel7851

The beignets are delish at FQ! Back in the day they had a breakfast buffet that included grilled steak and those addicting sugary beignets.
@Lilofan Get Out!! That must have been quite a while ago. The beignets are so popular now that they moved them out of the Food Court to the bar area. It would be nice if FQ had its own TS restaurant similar to Boatwrights at POR. But I don’t know where it could be located.

Lilofan

@Lilofan Get Out!! That must have been quite a while ago. The beignets are so popular now that they moved them out of the Food Court to the bar area. It would be nice if FQ had its own TS restaurant similar to Boatwrights at POR. But I don’t know where it could be located.
This was years ago at Port Orleans. Around 2002 for the bargain price of $11.95 for the breakfast buffet. I have had the real deal at Cafe Du Monde beignets in New Orleans and Disney's version is the same quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom