News Walt Disney World launches new seasonal Water Park Pass

JD80

I imagine the same as you have 😜

This difference is that I expect Lands to take 2-3 years from shovels out due to precedence. I know nothing about the project management of a themepark land. Others think it should take longer so it's up to them to tell me why they think so.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This difference is that I expect Lands to take 2-3 years from shovels out due to precedence. I know nothing about the project management of a themepark land. Others think it should take longer so it's up to them to tell me why they think so.
The “precedence” is set by the buyer in most cases on large scale construction.
Timelines do have flexibility. Not all things…but you can build things with much better speed as technology progresses.

Example here: WDI employs computer controlled rockwork fabrication now. Which is very efficient and cuts down a lot of on-site “forming”…not all of it…but cuts the lag down.

Here’s the deal…and I’m sure it’s not gonna go over well.
Bob has slow rolled the construction to grow the “coming soon” time and reduce the overall building.
WDI and management will scream “THATS NOT TRUE!!!” 😡

Of course it is. It’s a pattern…it’s systematic…it’s almost obvious.

Why?
Money…of course
Ego/strategy for another
But mostly human psychology. People “expect” new things in their parks. Always have and will. Even Disney where we celebrate old stuff like no others…
So the bobs and their blue ocean will not let that stand. It goes against theory of “as long as it’s US…you’ll love it and never turn away from it”

How dare we - the meaningless consumer - have expectations?

Rteetz

How many themed lands have you constructed?
Lands are one thing. Single attractions Covid or not like Tron shouldn’t take as long as it did. Epcot as well. Universal has been able to construct some pretty incredibly well themed lands in shorter timelines as well. Over the last decade or two Disney's budgets and timelines have been pretty inflated.

Rteetz

How long should Pandora, TSL, SWGE taken from the moment the break ground until they opened to the public?

Clearing land/demo including water retention etc, building foundation, constructing buildings, installing rides, permitting/inspection, infrastructure (gas/power), theming, hiring, training, testing etc.
I wouldn’t really include TSL as some ground breaking highly themed land. The other two sure. TSL also saw simplicity cuts. In the grand scheme it’s a pretty basic land albeit a necessary one. Overall I don’t feel SWGE took much longer than it really should have. I also already discussed why I feel Pandora is an outlier.

Andrew25

Jaws closed January 2, 2012... Diagon Alley opened July 8, 2014.

There shouldn't be any excuses for a land/attraction to take more than 3+ years. (We'll give Disney an extra year for rock work.)

...not even taking into account that it took less than a year for Transformers... in the dead center of the park.

JD80

The “precedence” is set by the buyer in most cases on large scale construction.
Timelines do have flexibility. Not all things…but you can build things with much better speed as technology progresses.

Example here: WDI employs computer controlled rockwork fabrication now. Which is very efficient and cuts down a lot of on-site “forming”…not all of it…but cuts the lag down.

Here’s the deal…and I’m sure it’s not gonna go over well.
Bob has slow rolled the construction to grow the “coming soon” time and reduce the overall building.
WDI and management will scream “THATS NOT TRUE!!!” 😡

Of course it is. It’s a pattern…it’s systematic…it’s almost obvious.

Why?
Money…of course
Ego/strategy for another
But mostly human psychology. People “expect” new things in their parks. Always have and will. Even Disney where we celebrate old stuff like no others…
So the bobs and their blue ocean will not let that stand. It goes against theory of “as long as it’s US…you’ll love it and never turn away from it”

How dare we - the meaningless consumer - have expectations?

This is giant nonsense post.

They built 3 different lands in the last 8-10 years and they all took around 2-3 years from shovels out to guests coming through the door. How much faster do you think they can or should do this?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is giant nonsense post.

They built 3 different lands in the last 8-10 years and they all took around 2-3 years from shovels out to guests coming through the door. How much faster do you think they can or should do this?
I don’t know. But “it can’t be done” is not a reasonable stance either.

One of the well documented problems is that WDI wastes ALOT of time and money…instead of fixing that - Iger has almost “standardized” it.

You do know that in the past they changed timelines and opened things ahead of schedule, right? It’s not a “unicorn” concept.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
As far as I know, the original design linked up pretty much everywhere on property. They then broke it into phases. It would be straightforward to expand the system using the original master plan.

Including the MK and MK area resorts?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would hope if they ever do that it includes a dramatic overhaul of the TTC - it's stuck in the 90's and really needs a refresh.
There was talk years ago of replacing the TTC with a new one more tailored over near wilderness lodge…but That’s obviously a no to now with the flyovers and an assumed new entry point from the north.
Also the poly tower wasn’t put where it was originally thought to go…which was right next to the TTC.

Why build new when you can knock out a “pesky” guest option you don’t want to staff, huh?

Last edited:

Andrew25

I would hope if they ever do that it includes a dramatic overhaul of the TTC - it's stuck in the 90's and really needs a refresh.

Hopefully soon, it looks like they're starting to remove some of the dirt at the center of MK that's been there for god knows how long.

TTC needs more shade please

Animaniac93-98

A day at Volcano Bay is $80+ tax.

Even factoring in the limitations of the ticket and unpredictable weather, this is one of the better ticket deals they've offered in a while. Going 3 times between now and May 24 would justify the purchase.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A day at Volcano Bay is $80+ tax.

Even factoring in the limitations of the ticket and unpredictable weather, this is one of the better ticket deals they've offered in a while. Going 3 times between now and May 24 would justify the purchase.
Looks good on paper

But I hear there isn’t a big line of cars trying to pass the mickeys and get on property these days

Andrew25

Can't they stick TTC to perpetual 1970's decor so like MSUSA, it always evokes a time-memory.
Would love for them to do something similar to Epcots recent changes. Nice simple light colors with lots of trees and shade.

Also surprised they’ve never built a restaurant/bar by the water to capitalize on firework dining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom