News Walt Disney World launches new seasonal Water Park Pass

MrPromey

they do look at turnstyle and how many people enter each day.
Of course they do but you know what they'd do if it got too crowded?

They'd stop offering the special pass for sale.

If a place is completely empty it looks less desirable to open another location or provide more amenities. If its super crowded regardless of how, they will look into how to make more money per guest but they will also utilize the turnstyle to show that people care.
Sorry, what?

Look less desirable to who?

Management?

Who do you think approved the sale of these special tickets to begin with?

I'm not sure who you imagine is trying to convince who else that people "care" or why management cares if people care but if the only way to fill up a park is to essentially give away access, I'd say that's pretty strong proof that people don't care.

Anyway, I really don't think people caring has anything to do with their decision not to keep both water parks open at the same time

What, after all, about that poor family from Denver who may only get to come once?

Last edited:

JD80

There’s been comments on fan sites and postulation by vloggers who want ad clicks to eliminate the need for getting a job…

…not sure that’s a launching point for “legitimacy”

As @wdwmagic pointed out, there are plans for expansion that they can start with if they ever chose to go in that direction.

JD80

If anything, an existing system makes it more difficult to work around because you need to integrate old and new. Any expansion would be significantly larger than what already exists. Most importantly Supply Chain constraints that didn’t exist in 2018/2019 are still at crippling levels today.

If they started tomorrow to put shovels in ground, there is NO way they could be done in 4 years.

First, I'm not seeing crippling levels of supply chain constraints in my industry (steel, concrete, electronics, labor etc.) but I can't speak for what would be needed in a Skyliner expansion.

Second, the existing Skyliner route is 2.15mi from Pop to Epcot + .5 mi from CBR to DHS.

Pop to Blizzard Beach is 1.72 mi if you just go west, and then another mile (2.69 total) to go to AK. So just by linear feet it's roughly the same. Though you wouldn't just go straight over AoA like that. Coronado is another .5 mi if there is a hub at BB (though I doubt they would have a hub here).

I don't see any issue adding on legs to one of the existing lines. I'm sure theres plans for it.

If they started now, 8-12 months of planning/permitting/site planning, 1-2 year lead time on materials, 2 years construction? These times overlap, but I think you can easily do it under 4 years if you wanted to.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
First, I'm not seeing crippling levels of supply chain constraints in my industry (steel, concrete, electronics, labor etc.) but I can't speak for what would be needed in a Skyliner expansion.

Second, the existing Skyliner route is 2.15mi from Pop to Epcot + .5 mi from CBR to DHS.

Pop to Blizzard Beach is 1.72 mi if you just go west, and then another mile (2.69 total) to go to AK. So just by linear feet it's roughly the same. Though you wouldn't just go straight over AoA like that. Coronado is another .5 mi if there is a hub at BB (though I doubt they would have a hub here).

I don't see any issue adding on legs to one of the existing lines. I'm sure theres plans for it.

If they started now, 8-12 months of planning/permitting/site planning, 1-2 year lead time on materials, 2 years construction? These times overlap, but I think you can easily do it under 4 years if you wanted to.
I'm in construction, specifically electrical. Want Specialty Circuit Breakers, Enclosures, Switch Gear, Disconnects, Motors? One Year Plus.

You also clearly haven't seen the breakneck speed in which Disney does construction recently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As @wdwmagic pointed out, there are plans for expansion that they can start with if they ever chose to go in that direction.
That is probably part of a master plan…which does not indicate that there is intent to move forward.

Anyone who lives in the world of “feasibility studies” knows that drill

Not to say they didn’t study adopting the gondolas for the property…of course they would. We have to assume that the coast of building/maintaining them was their prime factor.

I say it all the time: that monorail is not a permanent feature. It’s Already horribly antiquated and costly.

But bobs are terrible with Infrastructure…as they are most things.

JD80

I'm in construction, specifically electrical. Want Specialty Circuit Breakers, Enclosures, Switch Gear, Disconnects, Motors? One Year Plus.

You also clearly haven't seen the breakneck speed in which Disney does construction recently.

I'd put some money on any future construction to go up faster than the projects of the last 4-5 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd put some money on any future construction to go up faster than the projects of the last 4-5 years.
From a management that is dug in and DOUBLING down on all there strategies? Even though the results are no longer coming?

That is the only thing they’ve done for 11 months. Which is lock solid proof Bob never “left”

I’ll cover your bet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sure. But because it's an existing system and there have been rumors or whatever you want to call them of expansions. I assume Disney has done some background of what they could do so any decision to go in that direction has some ground work.

I wouldn't say 2 years from start to finish, but I wouldn't say 5-7. 2 would be fast, 4 would be long.
As far as I know, the original design linked up pretty much everywhere on property. They then broke it into phases. It would be straightforward to expand the system using the original master plan.

JD80

You sure?

Toy Story Land was announced in 2015, Broke ground in 2016 and opened in 2018.
SWGE broke ground in 2016 and opened in 2019.
Skyliner construction started in 2018ish and opened in early 2019.
Pandora construction started in 2014 and opened in 2017.
Riviera construction started in 2017? and opened in 2019.
GMR closed in 2017 and MMRR opened in 2020.

It was only projects that started in the pandemic era and beyond that took forever, i.e. Tron, Guardians, Epcot etc.

edit:
Not to mention the speed that the Poly Tower is going up and potential speed that Tiana's is going through.

Last edited:

JD80

From a management that is dug in and DOUBLING down on all there strategies? Even though the results are no longer coming?

That is the only thing they’ve done for 11 months. Which is lock solid proof Bob never “left”

I’ll cover your bet.

I'd say that over the last 11 months there has been a lot of house cleaning, re-org nonsense, firing of people, getting a lot of losses on the books for this FY. I've been saying this for a while now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a slow uptick in investment and proof of that in the new Disney FY.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
From the wording of the pass, there are no plans to have both water parks open at the same time in the next 6 months. And from all looks, this is aimed squarely at locals and trying desperately to get them into the water parks for a low entry fee in order to get them to spend on higher profit items (food, beverages, merch).

Maybe management can slice off a few dollars of that $60 billion and give the water parks a much-needed boost?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You sure?

It was only projects that started in the pandemic era and beyond that took forever, i.e. Tron, Guardians, Epcot etc.
Epcot was built in 3 years flat..

Dak in 5…but that was massive terraforming and horticulture.

Here’s where the disconnect is: all those things listed were “announced” 2-3+ years prior…which is stupid and self defeating. Instead of “easy PR”…they now have a rep in town and in the industry of not getting much done.

Bobs park strategy - like his IP, tv/stream and overseas strategy - has been exposed.

He had a good run…mostly fueled by the right external conditions…and made some good moves…but just like Mikey (who once bought bobs desk and took him as a throw in)…the run ended.

He should have left for real…and never came back

Last edited:

Tha Realest

It’s funny, we were just talking about spring break plans (we’ll be in FL) and discussed a water park. We’re kind of burnt out on the parks and thought BB or TL would be a nice change of pace. Then I saw Volcano Bay is much better at the same price, so thinking maybe that instead. This is a better deal if you can do both, though that’s unlikely in early March.

Jrb1979

I would be surprised if this works. I always thought majority of locals chose Watermania and Wet n Wild.

Oops I meant Aquatica and Margeritaville

fgmnt

From the wording of the pass, there are no plans to have both water parks open at the same time in the next 6 months. And from all looks, this is aimed squarely at locals and trying desperately to get them into the water parks for a low entry fee in order to get them to spend on higher profit items (food, beverages, merch).

Maybe management can slice off a few dollars of that $60 billion and give the water parks a much-needed boost?
It has seemed like to me that they do not see these as an entity with any growth potential. Granted, they make them a pain in the butt to get to, make it an add-on to an already expensive resort ticket or add on to an AP, and do not really make any world-class rehabs to them either. 3? More? new water parks have opened in the region since the last new attraction was added to the WDWWPs, right?

I wonder if there is an alternate reality where they built a moderate hotel into the fabric of the parks. What if instead of Coronado Springs, there was a Winter Summerland Ski Lodge Resort? Oh well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has seemed like to me that they do not see these as an entity with any growth potential. Granted, they make them a pain in the butt to get to, make it an add-on to an already expensive resort ticket or add on to an AP, and do not really make any world-class rehabs to them either. 3? More? new water parks have opened in the region since the last new attraction was added to the WDWWPs, right?

I wonder if there is an alternate reality where they built a moderate hotel into the fabric of the parks. What if instead of Coronado Springs, there was a Winter Summerland Ski Lodge Resort? Oh well.

I mean…they’ve pivoted away from waterparks long ago. They won’t close them…but enhance or add more? Just don’t see it.

Remember Bob and his people created s their “own reality” where there is complete anonymity…
Cause there’s always 10 people lined up to take our places…amma right??

Rteetz

You sure?

edit:
Not to mention the speed that the Poly Tower is going up and potential speed that Tiana's is going through.
Those are still fairly lengthy timelines. Also Skyliner opened in September 2019 not early 2019.

Pandora is a bit of an outlier as well since it was announced an Avatar project would be built at WDW back in 2011 but no further details were really said until 13-14. Then finally we got it open in 2017 so it felt like forever for that one.

Many of these things took far longer than they should have the point being.

JD80

Those are still fairly lengthy timelines. Also Skyliner opened in September 2019 not early 2019.

Pandora is a bit of an outlier as well since it was announced an Avatar project would be built at WDW back in 2011 but no further details were really said until 13-14. Then finally we got it open in 2017 so it felt like forever for that one.

Many of these things took far longer than they should have the point being.

How long should Pandora, TSL, SWGE taken from the moment the break ground until they opened to the public?

Clearing land/demo including water retention etc, building foundation, constructing buildings, installing rides, permitting/inspection, infrastructure (gas/power), theming, hiring, training, testing etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom