News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Professortango1

I think the art is taken closer to the bottom left hand of the picture. You can see some similar structures which appear to be the entrance into the show building.

In reality you have to assume a bright pink river is a) a lot of artistic license and b) highly impractical from a safety perspective this close to guests, it would all need fencing off etc.
Fencing could simply be a short stone wall and some landscaping along with a steep gradient down to the river level as they have done in the past with other water attractions that wind past guest areas. Pink water can easily be achieved with painting the flume as well as lighting.

Timothy_Q

I wonder if it was considered for the actual ride flume to have pink water

If they managed to not make it look like a barbie ride it could be a really unique feature to set it apart from all the other boat rides in the making right now

SilentWindODoom

Man... Imagine if that were just normal weather, but covered with a layer of the petals of pink flowers.

1718683709050.png

There can't be any way of portraying this without it eventually all disappearing/causing an issue for animal life coming upon it, unfortunately.

Surferboy567

That’s not terribly unreasonable. They haven’t started on the backstage offices yet. They can also conceivably work on the Primeval Whirl site and surrounding area without affecting anything currently on stage.
I’ll agree it’s not unreasonable I just expected sooner the way they have repeatedly talked about it.

A little after D23 makes sense.

DisneyHead123

I just discovered Joe Rhode's Instagram page and he posts some great stuff about the psychology and history behind theme park design. Really enjoying all the info he has posted and it's made me really curious about the approach that will be taken with this newest addition. There's a lot there to make you think, about the psychology behind design and how it evolves over time.

It seems to me that one of the biggest changes in overall design in the internet era is a move towards not just immersion, but interactivity. The smartphone / tablet generation seems as if it really changed expectations from park guest as passive viewer, whose job is to take it all in, to interconnected participant who expects some kind of feedback loop with the surrounding environment. It seems like forays have been made into this area with things like Galaxy's Edge (and Super Nintendo World on the Universal side,) but it's kind of a new medium and people are still trying to figure it out. My guess is that Disney has to be thinking more about interactivity with these new additions (especially since they already have a traveling Encanto 'experience' for kids.) If Rohde is advising and they don't skimp on the budget (which I think they will be less inclined to do with Epic Universe opening,) I'll be really curious to see what new ideas they come up with for this land. I think they may end up doing something truly innovative (again, only because of competition from Universal, but I'll take it, lol.)

BrianLo

Are they gonna not break ground on this till mid September?

It may not seem like it from the current lull in active projects, but this project is really not very old. They are moving exceedingly quickly at it compared to most other project cycles I’ve followed out of modern WDI. At best it’s about 18-20 months in development. A more typical construction start point has tended to be 36 months.

Even if they ported a portion of the project over from Big Thunder, that was in no way older than 6 or so months by the time we saw it and was probably just early conceptual work. Encanto only became a phenomenon in 2022.

Even though by all accounts DAK is first, I think moving around the far more baked Moana project to Magic Kingdom actually makes the first phases of MK expansion earlier than they perhaps once were. DAK at little later.

All said, I didn’t personally think we’d see this project start this year at all, so it’s ahead of my expectations if it does.

C33Mom

It may not seem like it from the current lull in active projects, but this project is really not very old. They are moving exceedingly quickly at it compared to most other project cycles I’ve followed out of modern WDI. At best it’s about 18-20 months in development. A more typical construction start point has tended to be 36 months.

Even if they ported a portion of the project over from Big Thunder, that was in no way older than 6 or so months by the time we saw it and was probably just early conceptual work. Encanto only became a phenomenon in 2022.

Even though by all accounts DAK is first, I think moving around the far more baked Moana project to Magic Kingdom actually makes the first phases of MK expansion earlier than they perhaps once were. DAK at little later.

All said, I didn’t personally think we’d see this project start this year at all, so it’s ahead of my expectations if it does.
So you’re saying a solid chance we get Dinosaur for August trip and a stretch chance it survives for our Thanksgiving trip? 🤔

Now I feel even better about the Dinsoaur tee I ordered for our summer trip.

KDM31091

I don’t see it closing until new year at this point. Announcing it at D23 and then allowing some time for final rides and whatnot, then they’d be closing it right around the holidays which isn’t ideal. My guess is we get one more holiday themed Dinoland (yay!)

I don’t know why anyone is in a rush for them to start on this anyway. Given recent track record of lackluster projects, it’s hard to be excited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom