Trip Report You Could Land A Cessna In Here! -- Now With Time Travel

I finally got around to starting a PTR for my upcoming trip.

Who: Me and A with our friends M and L for part of the trip (Sat-Tues)
When: October 13-21
Where: One night at the Doubletree by DS and then one of A's family's timeshares
Why: If I need to explain that I am not sure why you are here...

If you have read my other reports, you will notice that my mom is not joining us this time. Walking around the parks was getting to be too much with her back pain and she decided to not renew her annual pass.

However, don't feel too bad for her. She will be enjoying Disney magic during the same time as us, but in a new way for her. She is going to be doing her first Disney cruise. She is joining her best friend and her friend's daughter's family. They are setting sail on 10/14 but they are going down a few days early to stay at Disney. They are doing one day at HS with the kids to see Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge. They have rented a scooter for my mom and her friend to use so hopefully it won't be too horrible on either of their backs. If anyone has any tips that I can pass on to a first time cruiser, please let me know. She will really appreciate it.

Hopefully, there might be some fellow Magicians there that I might run into.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
IMG_1359.gif

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
I always prefer flying SW but lately there haven't been many non-stop flights from PHL to MCO and those flight have had either horrible times or were way too expensive. We lucked out and caught a sale and got a great deal. The only downside is that our flight home would be at the crack of dawn.

One of the things that is great about SW is being able to make changes. A few weeks ago there was another SW sale and our flight down dropped like $70. So we made the change and got flight credit which we will likely use for a trip in Jan/Feb. About a week later, A texted me to let me know that there was a flight home on AA that would give us almost a full day on our last Saturday and it was only $69! So A booked that (he has an AA credit card so he gets two bags free) and we cancelled the SW flight home which got us another $75 flight credit with SW.

As usual, we have way too many ADRs booked but some of the ones I am looking forward to are:

- Homecomin brunch (my fave!)
- Roundup Rodeo BBQ (I know it hasn't gotten the best reviews but it's new and the theming looks on point)
- Rosa Mexicana (new Mexican spot at the Dolphin)

We are also trying the new Japanese restaurant in Epcot. I am not a huge fan of Japanese food but there are a few things on the menu that sound good and A really wanted to try it so we are giving it a shot.

We are also doing Le Cellier because my mom doesn't eat red meat so it always felt like a waste for her to go to an expensive steakhouse and order $30 chicken.

I am also hoping that Moana will open while we are there since the AP previews are about 2 weeks before our trip.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
Reporting for duty:
Salute Aye Aye Captain GIF
Hehehe...duty...
200.gif

Sorry about your Mom's back but glad she's still going to get her Disney fill. 👍
I am hoping that the scooter rental works out well for her and she will be able to use that for a full trip.
Will you partake in any Halloween festivities? Or pumpkin (Halloween) food? Yum!

Dance Halloween GIF by jjjjjohn

Have a great trip regardless!
No Halloween festivities planned but I am sure there will be some spooky snacks consumed.

lindawdw

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun!!! Sorry that your mom can't make it but going on a Disney cruise should be just as fun and less tiring. The scooter rental should definitely help her for the couple days she'll be in the park. We haven't been to LeCellier in years so I'm looking forward to hearing your review of it!

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
Here are some more concrete plans now that A and I got together and we cut out a bunch of unnecessary ADRs.

Friday Oct 13th
Epcot Park Reservation
4:10 Oga's
8:15 Rosa Mexicano dinner with my mom before her cruise

Saturday Oct 14th
Animal Kingdom Park Reservation
9:55 Homecomin' brunch (M and L should be landing in MCO around 8 so they will be joining us for brunch)
4:00 Beaches and Cream late lunch
I successfully convinced A to nix Tony's and Be Our Guest ADRs

Sunday Oct 15th
Hollywood Studios Park Reservation
11:30 Oga's (might cancel since we have one Friday)
1:35 Round Up Rodeo lunch
8:55 Le Cellier dinner

Monday Oct 16th
Epcot Park Reservation for opening day of Moana
7:40 Ohana breakfast
2:10 Shiki-Sai lunch

Tuesday Oct 17th
Magic Kingdom Park Reservation (it's a MNSSHP night and HS closes at 5pm for some reason so we are hoping the crowds will be lower)
1:05 Steakhouse 71 lunch for my beloved burger
M and L leave this day but I am not sure when their flight is

Wednesday Oct 18th
Hollywood Studios Park Reservation
8:20 Via Napoli dinner (will cancel if we go Thurs)

Thursday Oct 19th
Epcot Park Reservation
3:00 Via Napoli lunch (will cancel if we go Wed)

We don't have any park reservations or ADRs for Friday or Saturday because we are not staying on property so we are maxed out on what we can book ahead of time. Hopefully, we won't have any issues booking ones while there. Worst case scenario, we can go to Disney Springs and then go into a park after 2pm without a reservation.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
Last night, A called me and told me that he got a text from our friend M, that was supposed to be joining us for part of the trip with his fiancée L, saying that they had to cancel. Apparently, they needed car repairs and a new roof so they couldn't afford the trip any more.

So now it will just be me and A for the whole trip. M did offer to pay their share of the timeshare especially since we got a larger place because we needed the extra bedroom for them. Also, we are probably going to be dropping some more ADRs because some of the ones we got were places that they wanted to eat. We are going to try a more spontaneous approach when it comes to eating on this trip.

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 1 -- OCTOBER 13TH

I've been back for a couple of days so I figure it is time to start this thing.

It was strange but not in a bad way to not be getting up at 3am to catch the first flight of the day out of PHL. Our flight was not until 12:00 so I was able to get a reasonable amount of sleep after working until 10:30 the night before.

A's parents picked me up and we made it to the airport with no troubles. The check in process with Southwest was so much smoother than Spirit or Frontier. We breezed through the TSA line and had some time to kill so I grabbed some food from Burger King.

The flight was uneventful and after watching the first two episodes of Loki we were landing at MCO. There was a little wait for our bag but nothing too crazy. We grabbed our rental car with no issues this time and we were on our way.

At 3:55, we were greeted by this sight and we were back home.

IMG_2281.JPEG

It had been a while since the airport BK, so food was the first thing on our minds. We stopped at the Flavors From Fire booth for a snack.

IMG_2282.JPEG

Spiced Chocolate Tart with BBQ potato chip crust, salted whisky-caramel, and smoked sea salt – $4.75

This was very rich but quite tasty. It hit all the notes: sweet, salty, smoky, smooth, crispy.

A got the corned beef chips that he loves so he was a happy camper.

Our next stop would be Guardians. I woke up at 7am at home and got us a boarding group just in case. From everything that I have read, they are very lenient when it comes to return times at GotG (unlike Tron). My thoughts were to give it a try and the worst they would tell us was no. We scanned our bands and it flashed blue but the CM didn't even look at us or say anything but hit a button on his screen and we turned green and off we went. Our punishment, however, for bending the rules was getting stuck with Conga...

Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

After saving the galaxy, we started our first of many laps around WS but not before making a stop in the Odyssey building for some wings.

IMG_2283.JPEG

Garlic-Parmesan Wings – $7.50

Sun King Brewing Caipirinha Lager
Brew Hub French Connection IPA
3 Daughters Brewing Old Fashion Porter

The wings had good flavor but they could have been hotter and crispier. The beers were all pretty average. The Caipirinha Lager was the best of the bunch. It had a little hint of lime and was nice and refreshing.

We made our way over to Mexico and got lucky and there was a fiesta that day so we took a boat ride to find everyone's favorite duck. The line actually stretched all the way back to the ramp at the entrance to the pyramid but it moved quickly.

We strolled around for a while before stopping again in America for some food from the "new-ish" Flavors of America booth.

IMG_2284.JPEG

Chilaquiles: Corn Tortilla Chips tossed in Salsa Verde with Ranchero Chicken, Queso Fresco, Cilantro-Lime Crema and a Soft-Poached Egg – $6.75

Rogue Dreamland American Lager

The chilaquiles had great flavor and I thought there was a decent amount of food in the bowl for the price. My chips were a little on the stale side but once everything was mixed together it wasn't as big of a problem. I don't quite understand why that was at the America booth but it was good and filling nonetheless.

Again, the beer was pretty average. I actually ordered a different beer but the CM rang it up wrong but I just rolled with it instead of complaining.

While eating, I was able to indulge my late teenager self and got to listen to Hoobastank's performance. I thought I knew more of their songs but the only ones I recognized were their two biggest hits which they ended their set with including my favorite song:

We moved on after that and continued around WS. We decided that were going to make our way out of the park since it was getting close to closing time but we had to stop first for an old favorite.

IMG_2285.JPEG

Guinness Baileys Coffee Shake — $12.00

This one never disappoints. The coffee taste is not very strong at all which is why I enjoy it. But it is a great drink/dessert that I wish they would keep around all year long.

While we were finishing our shakes, we overheard a group of women with what I assume was their mother in a scooter talking. The mother was saying how she loved a Guinness and two shots of Jameson. A woman after my own heart! One of the daughters came back with this shake and let the mother taste it. Her eyes lit up and she refused to give it back!

After our drinks, A needed a bathroom break. The bathrooms in England are currently closed for renovation so they have the bathrooms at World Showplace between England and Canada open. If you have never used these restroom, they are very large. When A came back, he had a big grin on his face. He told me that while he was in there, there was a man who was actually measuring the size of the bathroom by counting paces and exclaimed in a thick Southern drawl "This place is so big, you could land a Cessna in here!" For the rest of the trip, whenever one of us needed to use the bathroom, we often times would say that we needed to "land a Cessna."

We left Epcot after that and headed over to Disney Springs to get something more substantial for dinner and landed on Polite Pig. I wasn't terribly hungry so I went with the BBQ Meatballs -- House Brisket, Cheddar Grits and Layla’s Sweet BBQ Sauce. These were very yummy and just the perfect size for my hunger at the time. The only thing I didn't enjoy was that it was covered in crispy onions that were not mentioned in the description and I am not a fan of onions at all. I was able to push them off to the side though. I remembered that I didn't take a picture of them halfway though eating and I didn't think any one wanted to see my half eaten meatballs.

We wandered around DS for a little bit after that before calling it a night. We were staying one night at the Doubletree right outside of DS so we didn't have far to go. I had checked in already on the app but when trying to access the digital key so we could just go to the room it told me that I had to go to the front desk. We pulled in and the lobby area was under construction so it took a bit to figure out where I had to go in. We finally found the side door that lead to the makeshift front desk that was set up in a hallway. They checked my ID and ran my credit card and we were finally good to go to the room but no without our complimentary warm chocolate chip cookies and bottled water.

UP NEXT: Back to DS for brunch and off to AK

littleroo

Guinness Bailey's coffee shake??! Why have I never had this or seen this? Where is it and what time period? Thanks in advance!
Loving the TR so far. I am sorry your friends couldn't make it! Who needs a roof??
Reality Sarah GIF by CBS

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 2 -- OCTOBER 14TH

We were able to check out of the hotel this morning without any more visits to the makeshift front desk and took a short drive to where we ended the night before, Disney Springs, for the best brunch on property!

We arrived at Homecomin' a little before our 9:30 reservation. A was having trouble changing our reservation from 4 people to 2 in the app but was able to change it via the Homecomin' website but he ended up getting notifications for both 2 and 4 people. We double checked with the hostess that there was only one reservation, which she confirmed, just to make sure we weren't charged a no-show fee.

There were some new items on the menu and I decided to get something other than my usual Hallelujah Biscuit.

IMG_2286.JPEG

Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich -- A perfectly fried egg atop a maple pork sausage patty, crispy bacon and country ham. Topped with melted pimento cheese, tomato bacon jam and served on toasted sourdough.

I opted for the delicious grits as my side and the waitress asked if I wanted them with cheese and bacon. Obviously, the answer to that question (especially on vacation) is always going to be yes.

It was a bit of a jaw-unhinging kind of sandwich until I was able to get everything smashed down. It was a very tasty sandwich but the thick sausage patty did end up overpowering the rest of the flavors. It sounds odd to say but this was lighter than my usual order but in the end I did have a bit of FOMO seeing the table next to us getting my beloved Hallelujah Biscuit.

When we arrive to Homecomin', the line for Gideon's was already out front of the restaurant. When we were leaving, the line stretched all the way around the STK building towards the bridge. At that point, Gideon's would not even be open for another half hour. I have to imagine that a good portion of that line had to be locals because I would never take that much time out of my vacation to wait in line for cookies no matter how good they are.

By the time that the cookie monsters were being unleashed, we were here:

IMG_2288.JPEG

We avoided the beeline towards Pandora or the safari and went over to what could be one of our last rides on Dinosaur pending the proposed retheming of the Dinoland area.

After that we went over to Everest and hopped in the single rider line.

Done with our dance with the Disco Yeti, we explored the Maharajah trail. Sadly, none of the tigers were out which bummed me out because they are my favorite.

I was surprised that A suggested going to Rafiki's next because he is not a big fan of the area but I realized he had ulterior motives. He is a fan of the bathroom over there because it is relatively quiet. I explored around the exhibits inside while A "landed a Cessna." After we were both satisfied, we hopped back on the train.

The wait time was still a little too high for the safari so we did the Gorilla Falls trail in hopes of the wait time going down.

IMG_2289.JPEG

This was the first time I can ever remember seeing the hippo on land.

IMG_2290.JPEG

This was one of the silverback on the other side of the main viewing area. The baby was out playing with their brother but it was time for some sort of training and the keepers called them inside. As soon as the door inside was opened the baby hopped on mom's back and the whole family hightailed it off exhibit.

The safari wait time dropped to about 40 minutes so we hopped in line for that. I didn't take any pictures because I always take the same pictures and nothing out of the ordinary happened this time. Our driver was very "by the book" and there was a lot of dead air.

The only other thing that I told A that I was not leaving without doing was seeing Festival of the Lion King. I had not seen it since the tumble monkeys made their post-Covid return and it had been waaaay too long since I saw this show. It was amazing as usual! There was a little girl in the section next to us that was dressed as one of the flying birds from the show complete with ribbon. She was doing all of the choreography along with the dancer in the show and got to join the parade around the stage at the end of the show. I really hope that a CM let the dancer know that she was there and they got to meet up after the show.

The wait times for Pandora were both super high since it was Saturday so we left the park and headed over to the timeshare to check in so we didn't have to deal with it at the end of the night. Our plans had us going to Magic Kingdom because it was open until 11pm.

Our "room" was way too big for what we needed because we lost two people. There was a kitchen/dining/living area when you first walked in. Off to the left, was the first bedroom with a King bed, soaking tub, shower, and bathroom. Down the hall to the right was the second bedroom with two Twin beds and a full bath across the hall. At the end of the hall, was the third bedroom with another King bed, soaking tub, shower, and bathroom. A and I each took one of the King rooms at opposite ends and freshened up and took a quick break before heading back out to MK.

NEXT: A MK night, mobile order woes, and a unique fireworks view

BwlrBry212

Original Poster
DAY 2 CONTINUED -- OCTOBER 14TH

IMG_2291.JPEG

We arrived at MK a little after 5:30 and the wait times were pretty high since it was a non-party Saturday. We decided to start our night by hitting up a bunch of the shows that had little to no wait time. We started at the Tiki Room where a rude family went into the back row and stopped about 10 feet into the row blocking anyone else from being able to get by. I was tempted to make them move but I decided to be the bigger person.

After that we decided to skip Pirates and Jungle Cruise for now, and we moved on to the Country Bear Jamboree. It was a pretty full show and the crowd was super into it. I assume that the recent announcement about the retheming of the show had something to do with it. As long as Big Al is still the star of the show, I can be ok with the updates.

Next up on our avoiding wait time tour was the Hall of Presidents. I surprised myself when I remembered the majority of the Gettysburg Address word for word after having to memorize it in high school and getting to recite it in Gettysburg during a field trip.

We were starting to get hungry so we both placed mobile orders for the new Buffalo Chicken Flatbreads at Pinocchio's. We clicked that we were there and we waited, and waited, and waited. It took almost half an hour for us to finally get our food. There was a manager there who we overheard saying that there was an issue with mobile orders and that they were running well behind. After finally getting our food, we went upstairs (which I didn't know existed) and sat at a table on the balcony overlooking the carousel. The flatbread was nothing that blew my mind but it was nice and crispy with a hint of spice. I would have like mine with blue cheese instead of ranch but I can see why they made the safer choice. While we were finishing our meal, Happily Ever After started and we got to watch it from the balcony and got to see some of the fireworks being shot off the rooftops.

After the show, we waited for the initial crowds to thin out below us and we basically walked on to Small World. We were stuck in the traffic jam at the end of the ride longer than we waited to get on a boat. We were stuck there so long that my name popped up on the screens at the end several times.

I don't remember the exact order of things but I know we also did HM, Big Thunder, and Jungle Cruise before ending our night in Tomorrowland with Buzz and Peoplemover.

On the way out, I tempted the fates and placed a mobile order at the Confectionary for a snack to take back to the room. Again, I waited a while after saying that I was there before a CM asked if I was waiting for a mobile order. She looked it up and said it would be just a minute and directed me to help myself to the Coke that I ordered from the cooler. It was worth it because I got to enjoy this:

IMG_2292.JPEG

Gravedigger's Mix -- Caramel popcorn layered with Chopped TWIX, M&M’S Milk Chocolate Candies, Crushed Chocolate Cookies, Mini Marshmallows, and Dark Chocolate Drizzle

This was so delicious and everything was perfectly layered so you got a bit of everything in each bite. It was not cheap ($15.99) but I was able to snack on it when we got back to the room for the next four nights so in the end I think I did get my money's worth.

NEXT: Hollywood Studios, a new restaurant, and park planning

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom