Zach Riddley promoted to Global Creative Strategy Executive

EPCOTCenterLover

My bet is Zach got the project but had little control of the attraction content or placement. Perhaps he influenced the finishes of things like the cafe.

celluloid

And Soarin' was the only net new addition between WoL and Rat.

Yep. The rate of EPCOT turning into something it was never meant to be and sparse just increased and increased. Because between that drought we lost attractions to subpar rethemes, equal moves that were never updated, and in some cases just complete shuttering with noting replacing them.

Since WOL closed a pavilion of various attractions, and Imagination has no upstairs, and shows things you can watch from home in its 3D theater, it is hard to even think of RAT as a net gain for the attraction number.

Also, just a reminder that Soarin, while a bigger ticket, did have to take an attraction space to create it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep. The rate of EPCOT turning into something it was never meant to be and sparse just increased and increased. Because between that drought we lost attractions to subpar rethemes, equal moves that were never updated, and in some cases just complete shuttering with noting replacing them.

Since WOL closed a pavilion of various attractions, and Imagination has no upstairs, and shows things you can watch from home in its 3D theater, it is hard to even think of RAT as a net gain for the attraction number.

Also, just a reminder that Soarin, while a bigger ticket, did have to take an attraction space to create it.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot Soarin' was actually not net-new. :facepalm: I'll turn in my EPCOT Center Fan card at the door on my way out.

My bet is Zach got the project but had little control of the attraction content or placement. Perhaps he influenced the finishes of things like the cafe.

What part of “single accountable WDI leader for the EPCOT project, including master planning, story and concept, detailed design, and delivery/construction elements” suggests he "had little control of the attraction content or placement"?

Bocabear

Then who did the programming? And why not the guy whose experience has been in programming and was promoted into another programming type role?
That's a much bigger question...I think design and programming by committee created this mess... But also whoever was greenlighting the final decisions clearly lacked vision...and budget...
I would love to see the final demolition cost on Communicore West... Imagine what they could have done without all of the cost...
Central core could look the same as what they are currently doing...and Innoventions could have been an "Imagineering Pavilion"or any number of things that would not involve tearing down the building...surely that would have been less expensive in the long run and given us way more for the money.

celluloid

I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot Soarin' was actually not net-new. :facepalm: I'll turn in my EPCOT Center Fan card at the door on my way out.

What part of “single accountable WDI leader for the EPCOT project, including master planning, story and concept, detailed design, and delivery/construction elements” suggests he "had little control of the attraction content or placement"?

You keep your card. Its all good. I think it is easy to forget because Food Rocks replaced the superior for most Kitchen Kabaret.

And the second part of post I don't know, but I do know that specifics should be included in such claims. Not directed at him.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm thinking he had no control over whether IP was to be included or which IP was to be included. I may be wrong on that. I truly do not know. But the IP infusion is, in my mind, the main issue that removes the intent of EPCOT Center away from the current park.

rd805

I don't mind IP integration to Epcot, if it's done well. The Ratatouille area is pretty fantastic and wonderful ride addition. We can all argue about Frozen in Norway, but I'm sure 95% of riders appreciate the new vs Maelstrom. Universe of Energy to Guardians Coaster is also a pretty big win in my book too and is a top 3 favorite ride I've ever experienced ANYWHERE.

The issue is stagnancy and hoping park-goers ignore empty buildings on top of rebuilding something that was already there. **I won't rehash Boca Bear's and other points - but the tear down and rebuild is such a waste of money and time.

I can't for the life of me understand how a neat building like WoL sits empty. It housed basic attractions sure, but a NEW simulator (MAYBE WALLE) and a edu-tainment style show to replace our pal Buzzy goes such a long way. Heck, Cranium Command could have easily been modified to something Inside Out and been something to eat crowds. OR just make a great new experience with or without the existing building. It has such a huge footprint -- CMON!

Imagination pavilion used to house games & fun too -- having all that extra space being underutilized is a crime.

Mission Space is a horrible attraction. The wait times are always the lowest across any WDW park. It fits the theme of FW and has a gorgeous outdoor area/queue, but the experience is terrible. It can't possibly be reviewed well by park-goers. REPLACE THAT ISH!

Grand Fiesta Tour should have been Coco-fied years ago.

World Showcase needs a new pavilion, and one with a neat ride would obviously be a plus. I also don't mind the Mary Poppins spinner idea that was leaked. Cheap? Definitely! Crowd-sucker to help offset other wait times? More important!

aladdin2007

Hard to applaud them just going back to the design they ruined by neglect and bad ideas though...I mean I am very pleased to see it back in it's original form...If only they had done that to the central hub...There was a complete show building waiting for an attraction, and the freshening up of the original architecture like they did on Communicore East would have looked great. then they could have just added on the stage and revitalized the landscaping in the center adding trees and whatnot without all of the destruction and rebuilding cost.
Moana's Enchanted SplashPad could have been built in space between the Land and Seas... which makes sense thematically... I would much rather be looking at an all new real attraction right now in the central hub along with the new urban park setting instead of just urban park. SURELY they knew more about projected costs before demolition began... you would think...
I would hate to have seen that expansion pad gone to something as trivial and useless as that.

Bocabear

I would hate to have seen that expansion pad gone to something as trivial and useless as that.
Expansion? lol There was a time I used to think about the amazing expansions that would come one day...and 40 years later almost all of the expansion pads sit there. There is no plan to ever use them, and probably none coming up... Done is done at this point, and the spac change is now sadly permanent. They need to make a movie like Finding Mr Banks all about what happened during the biggest expansion and reworking of EPCOT and it's ultimate complete failure. "Defending Zach Riddley"...lol

DreamfinderGuy

To everyone posting in here: I dare you,

Say something nice about Zach challenge.

Go - you can do it! Show some kindness in here.
He's very kind in person. I rode Cosmic Rewind with him on opening day, was super chill and talked EPCOT with me while we waited. Shockingly just got in line like anyone else would, even though I'm sure he very easily could have gotten immediate boarding if he wanted.

Disney Analyst

He's very kind in person. I rode Cosmic Rewind with him on opening day, was super chill and talked EPCOT with me while we waited. Shockingly just got in line like anyone else would, even though I'm sure he very easily could have gotten immediate boarding if he wanted.

Did you glean any insight from him re: EPCOT? His thoughts, beliefs, passion, or vision?

FoodRockz

Your card may be turned in at your nearest animatronic show of choice. ;-p

For what it is worth, I would take either back over Soarin' in its current form there.
Soarin' does not move my needle much, but I understand that most people prefer a moving attraction vs a stationary one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom