Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I’m late to this party, but if Apple really wants to break into the older casual market with VR, they should partner with sports. At my old job my team was sorting through (and trying out) a variety of VR headsets from a decommissioned tech lab. A coworker in his 50s was mostly underwhelmed and confused until I showed him a 360 video of a hockey game on YouTube. His mind was blown and he was immediately on board.

Networks have tried it as a gimmick here and there, but if they committed to partnering with major sports leagues to put high quality 360 cameras in “the best seats” and sold season tickets for those feeds, the tech would have an instant audience. Plus, I wouldn’t have to watch Apple TV+ butcher a baseball broadcast anymore.
They do have examples of this on the Vision Pro, but actually building this out so you can watch current games and such will take a long while and a ton of money. Plus, people need to actually buy the thing to make it worth it (a bit of a chicken and egg issue). Apple has the money and they see a future 5+ years down the road where this is cheap enough, good enough and light enough people will use in masse. I hope for it!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I’m late to this party, but if Apple really wants to break into the older casual market with VR, they should partner with sports. At my old job my team was sorting through (and trying out) a variety of VR headsets from a decommissioned tech lab. A coworker in his 50s was mostly underwhelmed and confused until I showed him a 360 video of a hockey game on YouTube. His mind was blown and he was immediately on board.

Networks have tried it as a gimmick here and there, but if they committed to partnering with major sports leagues to put high quality 360 cameras in “the best seats” and sold season tickets for those feeds, the tech would have an instant audience. Plus, I wouldn’t have to watch Apple TV+ butcher a baseball broadcast anymore.
Apple is starting with MLS

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Same thing was said about people holding phones all day.

Form factor will change to make them more comfortable with ever iteration.
this is way different than a phone though... I just don't see it anywhere close to as popular no matter how it evolves

I also don't wear my phone

JMcMahonEsq

They do have examples of this on the Vision Pro, but actually building this out so you can watch current games and such will take a long while and a ton of money. Plus, people need to actually buy the thing to make it worth it (a bit of a chicken and egg issue). Apple has the money and they see a future 5+ years down the road where this is cheap enough, good enough and light enough people will use in masse. I hope for it!
Also other than for special events, playoffs, ect., I am not sure the teams would really want to get behind this. Yes there might be licensing and some revenue from virtual seats, but do teams really want to give fans another reason not to come to the ballpark. Losing out on parking fees, food, merch sales with people watching at home on HDTV's is an issue that i am not sure teams want to contribute to with a "watch from home as if you were there" type of experience.

JD80

Apple just needs
this is way different than a phone though... I just don't see it anywhere close to as popular no matter how it evolves

I also don't wear my phone

You sound like the people who said homes will never need computers in them 50 years ago.

Trauma

Apple just needs

You sound like the people who said homes will never need computers in them 50 years ago.
The sales numbers tell you all you need to know.

People do not care.

Yes one day tech like this will be mainstream, but it will be in a completely different form factor.

The Vision Pro is a dud and it’s back to the drawing board.

All you are basically saying is tech will continue to evolve.

I’d also bet the sun will rise tomorrow.

Fido Chuckwagon

Apple just needs

Some things catch on, some things don't. Smellovision never caught on. 3d tv's never caught on. I think this is a lot more like smellovision and 3d tv's than it is like a phone or tablet. Only time will tell though.

Also important to note that virtual reality isn't some "new" concept. We've been playing around with this since the 90's. Yes the tech has gotten much better, but VR could have taken off any time in the past 30 years and hasn't yet.

Trauma

Some things catch on, some things don't. Smellovision never caught on. 3d tv's never caught on. I think this is a lot more like smellovision and 3d tv's than it is like a phone or tablet. Only time will tell though.

Also important to note that virtual reality isn't some "new" concept. We've been playing around with this since the 90's. Yes the tech has gotten much better, but VR could have taken off any time in the past 30 years and hasn't yet.
How about smellovision in 3D!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The sales numbers tell you all you need to know.

People do not care.

Yes one day tech like this will be mainstream, but it will be in a completely different form factor.

The Vision Pro is a dud and it’s back to the drawing board.

All you are basically saying is tech will continue to evolve.

I’d also bet the sun will rise tomorrow.
The Apple 1 sold about 200 units, and today Apple sells $40 billion in MACs per year. Today's MAC is a different form factor, but it all has to start somewhere - just like Vision Pro.

durangojim

I bought a Vision Pro about 2 weeks after launch to try to incorporate it into my workflow when I see patients at home. It's a neat product but there are some major thing limiting its use in my option. It's big and heavy, the MacBook screen mirroring is limited to one screen and frankly having a bunch of windows floating around isn't really more efficient than just having a screen infront of you with windows. It is however superb on an airplane for watching movies. As someone next to me said while I was traveling, you look like a dork, but I guess that doesn't matter if you're watching movie on a 10 foot screen 30,000 feet above the ground. Right now this iteration is not worth it in my opinion for 99% of average users and I hardly use it anymore. I hope WWDC brings some much needed upgrades and apps to the software.

UNCgolf

I bought a Vision Pro about 2 weeks after launch to try to incorporate it into my workflow when I see patients at home. It's a neat product but there are some major thing limiting its use in my option. It's big and heavy, the MacBook screen mirroring is limited to one screen and frankly having a bunch of windows floating around isn't really more efficient than just having a screen infront of you with windows. It is however superb on an airplane for watching movies. As someone next to me said while I was traveling, you look like a dork, but I guess that doesn't matter if you're watching movie on a 10 foot screen 30,000 feet above the ground. Right now this iteration is not worth it in my opinion for 99% of average users and I hardly use it anymore. I hope WWDC brings some much needed upgrades and apps to the software.

I mentioned it above, but this is the ongoing problem for VR/AR (one that AR is more likely to solve eventually than VR, IMO). It just doesn't offer a better experience (and often offers a worse one) for regular, every day tasks than a laptop or desktop computer (or smart phone/tablet in some cases).

Trauma

I'm referring to Apple, because they are the most capable of achieving this to be mass market, and the Vision Pro is their first device in this category.
Who knows who will get whatever this ends up being to mass market. Could be a company that doesn’t even exist yet. Could be Apple, Microsoft, Google, Meta.

We will see if Apple even makes a second version of the Vision Pro.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom