Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

DisneyCane

I think the issue we're having is that you seem to be arguing that AR and VR are essentially the same thing, or at least more or less interchangeable, and I strongly disagree.

A VR experience means being inside a completely virtual world -- being cut off from the actual real world is almost a fundamental part of the experience and a selling point. On the other hand, the real world is a significant part of AR/MR.

People who want a VR experience aren't happy with an AR one. It's not what they're looking for. They don't want to see Skyrim characters overlaid in their house; they want to be inside the Skyrim world as though their house doesn't exist.

That's why I say glasses can never really provide a VR experience (at least without additional blinder attachments etc.) -- not because the underlying tech can't do the processing, but because of the very nature of VR and the requirement to block out the outside world. It's a physical limitation rather than a technological one. Goggles could do it, but they're definitely more noticeable than glasses.

That said, if it becomes widespread, then people wearing goggles would be normal so it wouldn't really matter.
First of all, I think that both AR and VR can have some very cool and useful applications. I would love an application of AR glasses and/or binoculars that could add the first down line, down and distance and clock to the field when I am at a football game.

As far as VR, you can't have true virtual reality unless there is some kind of suspended haptic, motion and force feedback apparatus to get into in some kind of chamber with smells, wind, temperature, etc. Solely audio and visual VR can create an extremely immersive experience but can never simulate "reality."

Think of it this way, if you replaced the projection on a giant screen in FoP with a VR headset, it would get close to simulating "reality" (assuming you treat Pandora as real) because of the other effects that are used. If you watched the ride video sitting in a chair in the gift shop, it might be immersive but it won't simulate flying on a banshee.

MrPromey

Disney and Apple break new ground with Disney+ on Apple Vision Pro including virtual environments and 3D content https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...uding-virtual-environments-and-3d-content.htm
So, yeah, Apple gave 'em something for this.

Hard to think of another reason why they'd launch exclusively on a device starting with zero users and which, if reports are to be believed, only has about 800k devices ready at launch when there's another device out there capable of streaming the video with its own ecosystem and tens of millions of existing users.

tissandtully

So, yeah, Apple gave 'em something for this.

Hard to think of another reason why they'd launch exclusively on a device starting with zero users and which, if reports are to be believed, only has about 800k devices ready at launch when there's another device out there capable of streaming the video with its own ecosystem and tens of millions of existing users.
Apple and Disney have always worked together, this is nothing new

MrPromey

Apple and Disney have always worked together, this is nothing new
Yeah, I know.

But spending money to develop for, support, and provide unique exclusive content to a platform that isn't even available to the public yet - a platform that will have a relatively insignificant install base for at least the first year just based on hardware availability, alone (even if it's wildly popular) - seems like a pretty big "favor", isn't it?

This is a bit more involved than letting Apple make a Mickey Mouse face for the launch of the Apple Watch, don't you think?

So I'm wondering, did Apple pay them? Did they cut them a deal on the rate they charge for people who sign-up and renew through their platforms? (i.e. iphone, ipad, AppleTV, etc.)

Since this is at no additional charge to consumers for the unique content, I see no way Disney really profits off this, especially as an exclusive and in a year that they've been cutting back everywhere, reducing content spend on D+, etc., it strikes me as unlikely they spun up a development and support team for this new software without something to grease the wheels.

I'm sure being mentioned in Apple's promotional materials is nice but I have to think there's more to it than that since it's way more of a benefit to Apple and "exclusivity" usually comes with strings in other more common cases of this type of thing - like gaming.

For what it's worth, they're touting a whole bunch of other platforms, too but it appears most of them are through the AppleTv app.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think that's always going to be a small minority. Wearing a headset requires completely isolating yourself from your surroundings.

That's simply not an option for huge numbers of people (essentially anyone that has kids or a pet with them, for one), but there are also many people who don't want to completely cut themselves off for a variety of reasons. I'd be fine watching something on my phone with headphones in public, but I'd never feel comfortable wearing a headset.
Agreed. It’s much easier to be on a phone for hours vs wearing an awkward headset. I have an oculus and while cool at first, it’s gets annoying after awhile and losing is attraction to keep wanting to use it often.

tissandtully

Agreed. It’s much easier to be on a phone for hours vs wearing an awkward headset. I have an oculus and while cool at first, it’s gets annoying after awhile and losing is attraction to keep wanting to use it often.
The Vision Pro is not meant to be a mass market device at first, the cost is aimed at enthusiasts and developers that have money to burn. Goal is to see if there is a use case and interest and then make cheaper and less intrusive versions if it catches on. Spatial computing could be very intriguing, especially with such a high res device. Like you wouldn’t need to buy a monitor anymore you could have multiple 4k displays at the ready on the headset, it will be interesting to see what happens. I’m surprised a Disney forum and EPCOT fans are so dismissive of a device, this is the type of idea that I think Walt would have really found a use for. Now excuse me while I go ask AI to make me a photo of Walt Disney wearing a Vision Pro 😂.

UNCgolf

The Vision Pro is not meant to be a mass market device at first, the cost is aimed at enthusiasts and developers that have money to burn. Goal is to see if there is a use case and interest and then make cheaper and less intrusive versions if it catches on. Spatial computing could be very intriguing, especially with such a high res device. Like you wouldn’t need to buy a monitor anymore you could have multiple 4k displays at the ready on the headset, it will be interesting to see what happens. I’m surprised a Disney forum and EPCOT fans are so dismissive of a device, this is the type of idea that I think Walt would have really found a use for. Now excuse me while I go ask AI to make me a photo of Walt Disney wearing a Vision Pro 😂.

I don't think anyone is being dismissive of it -- I think it will have some excellent uses.

I do not, however, think that many people will be interested in wearing a headset over just using a monitor (or multiple monitors) for regular, daily use, as just one example. Some people absolutely will, but for the average person the drawbacks are likely going to outweigh the benefits of a set-up like that.

As I've pointed out above, though, that's solely in a VR context. In an MR/AR context, where the monitors are superimposed on your desk or wherever you are as opposed to existing in a solely virtual space, there probably will be widespread adoption eventually (although I think that's still a decade+ away).

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Orders have opened. The launch day Feb 2 stock was sold out in 15 minutes. Deliveries are now 10 -14 days out.

45 minutes in, delivery timeframe is now mid-March.

I'm not surprised. There is definitely an enthusiastic group of early adopters that will want to get their hands on this ASAP.

I do think there are numerous applications for AR like this outside of entertainment. Having a parts diagram and repair instructions superimposed on something you are working on would be very useful and make repairs and service of complex machinery more efficient. Maybe Disney can develop that to give more people the ability to maintain effects on rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom